I will be called ignorant for this, but...

I will be called ignorant for this, but...are there any other languages where non-speakers can notice the difference between dialects, aside from English? Frankly when it comes to Spanish or German or Russian or whatever, I have no idea what dialect is from what region or whatever, but most non-Anglos know the difference between British English and American English. Am I just dumb?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/jQcyg22uIWs
youtu.be/oJ9coIXYxdA
youtu.be/DoDlX8ZlBFI
youtu.be/ZxtuNorwYXI
youtu.be/2z9CV2tq_1g
youtu.be/JUzhF_W6kiM
youtu.be/e44JAe4GN7g
youtu.be/ZyPd6nFwI68
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You're just dumb.

How could you know if you don't speak the language
We know about english because we speak it

There are no such languages, including English.

A listener needs decent familiarity with a language to notice accents.

I'll call you ignorant for thinking you could pick out dialects in a language you can't understand.

>Russian dialects
Why do you go to villages in arctic?

youtu.be/jQcyg22uIWs

youtu.be/oJ9coIXYxdA

youtu.be/DoDlX8ZlBFI

youtu.be/ZxtuNorwYXI

youtu.be/2z9CV2tq_1g

Can you hear the differences between these, op?

The last two are definitely distinct from the first three, the only thing that confuses me is that the second video is yelling and the third video is an old person's accent so I can't tell if the difference is in the dialect or the delivery.

There are indeed some ideocyncracies at play that might have been confusing, especially in the muppet video and the shouting guy

youtu.be/JUzhF_W6kiM

youtu.be/e44JAe4GN7g

What about these two?

I would also like to say that even in English, a non speaker has to actively seek out whether they're hearing say British English and american English. The difference only became apparent to me as I started learning english

The first video isn't available for me, but the second video sounds closer to the last two in the first post you made.

Basically at the very least I can say that some of the dialects you linked have that semitic-like "ch" sound and some don't. Also the last video in sounds more nasal than the others and the 4th video has a lot more "trill".

It is very, very noticeable in Italian. Especially because you guys are more used to a southern Italian accent

Apart from very strong accents (Scottish, Liverpudlian..) people are usually not aware of the different accents existing in English, just as you wouldn't be aware of them in French (apart from maybe an Alsatian accent compared to a southern one).
Before learning Spanish I would have been hard pressed to recognise any kind of differences between a mexican and a Colombian, now I can even easily recognise the region of Spain someone is from.

Chinese

Yes. It's extremely noticeable in Arabic that a non-speaker would easily notice a difference between a moroccan and a gulfie speaking arabic.

youtu.be/ZyPd6nFwI68
I think this video explains it.

>Basically at the very least I can say that some of the dialects you linked have that semitic-like "ch" sound and some don't. Also the last video in (You) sounds more nasal than the others and the 4th video has a lot more "trill".

Bravo! that's exactly one of the main isoglosses here in the low countries. Other differences might include pronunciation of the letter R (there are about 6 ways) and annunciating the N at the end of a word

Yeah this was the language I was most expecting to be proven wrong on based on how far it's spoken.

I can understand not getting individual accents, but I guess I was mainly asking about languages with something similar to the "British vs. American" where you have two or more distinct dialects that are internationally relevant enough for non-speakers to hear and discern differences from.

Which one is the main isogloss that I pointed out? Though I'm glad I noticed any at all, I was waiting to be told I was dumb and imagining any differences.

>"British vs. American" where you have two or more distinct dialects that are internationally relevant enough for non-speakers to hear and discern differences from.
Non English speakers have no idea how to tell between an "English" (I suppose you mean RP) and an American accent, you're deluded if you think the contrary.

They all sound differently due to being spoken by different persons.

Ignorant

The throaty G versus the softer G

Pic related shows how G is pronounced in different dialects. Pink is throaty G, green is softer G, orange is the normal English G sound, purple is a normal H sound and blue is a Y-sound like in Yoghurt.