3 Rumours About What Will Happen To DC Comics Twice-Monthly Schedule

>I’ve been having conversations with a number of comic book professionals, working for DC and Marvel. The subject of DC Comics’ current twoce-monthly shipping schedule for certain books came up. This is what I’ve heard.

>1. Some seem of the opinion that it is common knowledge that DC Comics’ current twice-monthly shipping schedule would only be running for the first six months of DC Rebirth at which the books would go back to a monthly schedule and we would get a whole load more individual titles back to make up for that.

>Which, given the performance of DC Rebirth titles, seems insane. The relaunch has worked, the books schedules are part of that, if you commit to buying Flash, it’s a lot easier to suddenly find yourself buying the fourth issue when before you would have bought the second, and bam, you’re a committed Flash reader by accident.

>There can be editorial strain on the schedule, and a reduction in the diversity of the books on offer, but it’s hard to argue with the sales success. You may not have a Poison Ivy series but you have two All-Star Batman issues instead.

>DC Comics like to announce these kind of things for January. So they still have time to change their mind if they want. Because…

>2. Others tell me that certain of the monthly books may be going twice-monthly for a spell. Possibly replacing titles that do go back to monthly. And…

>3. Still, others tell me that the twice monthly books running two different streams like Wonder Woman may be splitting into two monthly books in the new year.

>Right now the left hand is left wondering what the right hand is up to…

doubleshipping being a strain on the artists and editors seemed likely and even Sup Forums was saying a lot of books would likely stop doubleshipping after a couple arcs
but will rich backtrack on the rest of this stuff, try to explain why he thought ASB is doubleshipping or why Wondy would have 2 books when DC is aware that she doesn't sell a lot

I've just been assuming they'll go as long as they can with creative teams keeping pace. Though the 6 month cutoff would also fit into what we've heard (like Deathstroke crossing over with Titans around then, it did seem odd to me that we'd have a double shipped book crossing over with a monthly one).

>or why Wondy would have 2 books when DC is aware that she doesn't sell a lot

Honestly she held strong for a while in the new 52, 30-40k the entire run. Only Flash in that range didn't get a second title. She might be ok with a spinoff.

Even double shipping is a joke. Look at weekly published manga. Four dollars for twenty pages a month should be unacceptable, and even aith fourty pages, you are paying eight dollars.

If DC needs to, they should just hire more people, make their comics weekly, and lower their prices accordingly. There is absolutely no reason that a comic book publisher backed by one of the biggest media corporations on the planet can't match the output of a much smaller foreign publisher; other than the exploitation of both its talent and its readership.

This seems like shittty Disney propaganda desu. Go away OP.

Did you post in the wrong thread?

>this argument again
learn how comics work vs manga pls

>There is absolutely no reason that a comic book publisher backed by one of the biggest media corporations on the planet can't match the output of a much smaller foreign publisher
Treating creatives as slave labor tends to be frowned upon in the borders of most western countries these days.

Main DCU books, besides All-Star Batman, are all $3, or $6 per month for biweeklies.

No. Saying I TALKED TO SOME PEOPLE AT MARLEL AND DC AND THEY SAID OOOOOO THIS IS BAD NEWS THE LEFT DOESNT KNOW WHAT THE RIGHT HAND IS DOING.

Is pretty fucking obvious. There is a constant smear campaign on DC and this reeks of that. Trying to get people to drop books now cause of what "might" happen in the future is fucking despicable.

There's nothing bad said about DC here though. Just trying to figure out what will happen in the future because everyone knows you can't double ship forever. Same thing is happening at Marvel with their books.

It must be awful being this paranoid about everything

Color printing is expensive. It's not just a comics thing. Magazines cut costs by having awful quality paper and ads literally every other page but their prices have risen too.

If you like manga better just read it. I don't understand a post like this.

>3. Still, others tell me that the twice monthly books running two different streams like Wonder Woman may be splitting into two monthly books in the new year.
>like Wonder Woman
What other books are doing different arcs in even and odd issues?

That last comment is what shows the entire bias of the article. It was unnecessary to put that negative spin on it like DC doesnt know what they are doing.

The only books I've not read are Batgirl, Harley and the BoP, so maybe it's one of them. It's certainly not in the other Rebirth books (excluding WW).

But it doesn't say DC doesn't know what they're doing. It's just saying that it hasn't been communicated to creative teams yet.

Deathstroke has flashback scenes but it's not doing it issue by issue. I don't think there are any others.

BoP and Batgirl are both monthly and neither is doing that.

What kind of respectable employee is gonna say what their company is doing even if they know prior to the company announcing it publicly? This isn't Marvel. DC isn't full of chode suckers.

Then they're playing coy but there's no reason to read that and think he's shitting on DC with this piece. If anything you've proven that he isn't because your takeaway is that DC has good employees.

I don't know why you're making me stick up for a snake like Rich but here we are

Honestly, these "rumours" just seem like Rich's guesses. Because they're like the 3 main choices of what'll happen if DC chooses to stop double-shipping.

It should be noted that, for at least Batman and Nightwing and Wonder Woman, the creative teams haven't run into any hurdles yet and have been shipping their stuff on time, without huge changes to who's working on what.

I don't really see Batman not double-shipping. I can't imagine DC would be OK with losing out on that money. Same goes for at least Harley Quinn.

I think what'll happen is:
* Of the 16 books that will be on bi-weekly schedules, about half of them will be "demoted" to monthly.
* Of the ones that stay as bi-weeklies, the current creative teams will either be joined or replaced by new writers and artists.
* This will shift the veterans and other big names (e.g. Tom King) to Rebirth phase 2.

My takeway is that cause I'm not an idiot. Most people would see that commit and think DC doesn't know what they are doing. He purposefully put that negative spin on it cause Rich is known for having an anti DC bias. This whole article is basically they wont tell me what they are doing so I'm gonna make some vague statements and try to make people drop the books.

Comment*

Literally no one else is reading it like that but you. You're looking to get upset.

Go away Rich, you are a stupid faggot. Stop posting your click baits here. One of these days you'll get permabanned for it.

>Look at weekly published manga.
Literal slave labor

>Rich doesn't even link back to his own site, because he knows he's a laughingstock at this point

Literally just Wonder Woman

>why Wondy would have 2 books when DC is aware that she doesn't sell a lot
M O V I E.

Batman, Tec, Action, and Superman are going to be running twice monthly for a while. Jurgens and DC seem committed to getting Action #1000 out for the 80th anniversary in 2018.

I could see them splitting Wonder Woman in half if they think having the story alternating is confusing readers

Explain to me what other possible scenarios can occur from current Rebirth.

This is not rumors, this is just speculation from the writer.

They keep double shipping cause it sells?

Writing what amounts to 2 books a month isn't tough for most comic writers. The only thing they will have to change is getting another artist on the book, because I can't imagine most of them able to keep up that sort of pace. Alternating art teams or something like that.

Few things:
1) I was under the impression that DC was doing double-shipping solely to push out tpbs faster, as that's kind of where companies make the most of their bank
2) If DC is going back to regular monthly books, will the price increase?
3) If the price increases, do you think we'll see more pages?

This guy here

Anyways Keep Batman, Tec, Action, Superman, Hal, Harley and Green Lanterns twice monthly every else can be monthly

Whatever they do I hope DC doesn't split stories up in alternating issue like Wonder Woman.

Wondy has:

Wonder Woman (twice a month)
Wonder Woman '77 (digital) published Thursdays when Legends isn't being published
Legends of Wonder Woman (digital) 27-part digital Thursday weekly every year. Part II due in 2017
Co-headlines Trinity (monthly later this year)

Rucka is literally retelling her origin for the third time in a year, and is doing the poorest job at it so far.

DC would be fucking stupid to drop double shipping while their still selling so well.

Wouldn't it be better to stop rather than overload artists and editors?
Don't want a massive slew of delays or people getting upset

What the big two should have a comic out every week for a run, but have hiatuses between "seasons".

This once a month for a while year thing is a little silly when you consider how little story telling is actually going on.
You can read a whole year's worth in an hour or two. That's retarded to wait a year for that.

One a week, then hiatus. The break time allows for greater planning which leads to better stories.
Naturally you have each major ongoing cover each other during the hiatuses.

The current strategy is why comics haven't caught on among the greater public.
The movies show people like the characters and basic feel
So why are floppies just scraping by?
Because the distribution method is retarded.

Gabe Newell of Valve famously said that piracy wasn't a security issue, but a distribution one.
It was true of video games and it's true of comics.

Either there will be renaissance of comic distribution or DC and Marvel will end their regular comics.

If that's the reason for stopping then sure. But if they're managing mostly fine with the workload it'd be stupid to stop at some arbitrary 6 months time frame.

>1) I was under the impression that DC was doing double-shipping solely to push out tpbs faster, as that's kind of where companies make the most of their bank

I don't think this was the main goal. Sure, it'd make sense on their biggest books to do this, but on a line-wide basis, increased money from trades doesn't really justify bi-weeklies. I think the main interest was in building a stable audience via the big books -- get them hooked for a little bit and then lead them off to greener pastures.

>2) If DC is going back to regular monthly books, will the price increase?
>3) If the price increases, do you think we'll see more pages?

I don't think a price increase will be immediate, but it might happen nonetheless. There will also probably be increased page counts for books with higher prices, but probably by something like 4 pages or so.