What is the purpose of a graphic sex scene? How does it benefit storytelling...

What is the purpose of a graphic sex scene? How does it benefit storytelling, character developement etc when a naked thrust motion is visualized? Why not just make sensual camera pan to distance with a hint of ejaculation and penetration symbolism to notify the copulation?

virgin filter

Eg a train going into tunnel in distance is a subtle way to indicate that a sex has been done

What is the point of any scene? Nothing makes sense on its own. What bring sense is the grammar used to articulate the scene.

How the scene echoes others, how each shot follow the previous one and announce (or not) the following one. How are the light contrasts used? How is the soundtrack sticking with the visuals? Is it mute? Why?

These kind of questions can be asked indefinitely, and the answers to these often tell a lot about the depth of the movie. Most of the time you'll find formulaic answers and hackneyed tropes instead of the "purpose" you are looking for.

For example, in the movie Lust, Caution the sex scenes are necessarily graphical, since they depict the power dynamic in the main couple.

A sex scene is no more necessary than any kind of scene, really, but no less either.

This. I literally cannot watch a sex scene because it makes me so angry.

my complaint is prostate massage is underrepresented in film.

Did you think the grey worm sex scene was necessary?

>that scene in Cosmopolis
Robert Pattinson did a good job stating that he was into real film making.

Not more necessary than the serie itself. Watched it with my sister tho.

Because sex is an extremely important part of most peoples lives and can convey where each character and the relationship between them is at that you are not going to get in any other situation, sex scenes only triggers virgins and americans.

was meant for

To remind incels like you about the basic human interactions you are missing out on

>conception
>birth
>love
>lust
>romance
>intentions
>blackmail
>superiority

These are a few concepts that can be represented with a sex scene

Watch la femme publique

What is the purpose of graphic violence? How does it benefit storytelling, character developement etc when blood and gore is visualized? Why not just make a dramatic camera pan to the side with the sound of gunfire and a hint of blood spatter to notify the shooting?

me peepee

To portray how gritty and brutal reality can be and leave a stronger emotional impact on you or even shock you.

wouldnt you say sex scenes seem hamfisted in many films today? The fade-to-side-action scenes in movies dont show you any subliminal message its just eye candy, and in almost any setting a better scene could be used to replace it. Yes sex scenes are obviously able to be used, but I would say the majority of film uses them for a erotic interest in the audience. imo it depends on the film material.

Alot of times it really isnt necessary, but I think that if sex could be so easily displayed in cinema there would be alot more of that too. Still doesnt do shit for the plot unless the story has it incorporated

Contemporary American cinema has reached the absolute peak of decadence and materialism, just like yuropoors did in the 1970s.

That's how sex scenes make me feel

I whole heartedly agree with you. Most maintream films are commercial productions, made with the intent of generating income, not artistic value. This in itself makes it that most of the movies themselves do not need to hold any surplus of sense than their face values present.

Someone mentionned the greyworm sex scene in this thread. Its interest is close to zero, and I like to compare it with other interesting occurence of sex in television - I'm thinking for example of the scenes in The Affair. Sex scenes are depicted from the perspective of both partners, which allows the viewer an insight into both their psyche and hence expand on the complexity of a relationship.

I fucking love The Affair.

Sex is just sex. It doesnt have any other purpose. It is just mehanical task

These all can be indicated without showing two naked humpers