All my lefty friends seem happy about the government getting rid of private prisons in the US...

All my lefty friends seem happy about the government getting rid of private prisons in the US. I have no idea what the significance of the situation is. Can someone TL;DR me about why this is important?

LOLBERTARIANS BTFO

Because they think their pet slaves will be treated better.

They honestly think they are good people.

> promotes capital hate
> cost money
> use the money to constructively correct the behaviors instead of throwing them in a box

>get thrown in jail for having a sip of wine before 21 because the private prisons lobby judges to throw you in jail for petty shit

They are celebrating the fact the black criminals will be able to mug them and fuck their girlfriends again.

In all honesty they are for profit prisons. They make money housing criminals.

That should not be allowed.

Private (NGO) run prisons make money based on volume. Even basics like toothpaste and shitter paper cost money, and inmates depend on relatives outside to "load" an account the inmates can use, at grossly inflated prices.

If you look into the history of the "company town" you'll get an idea of what is going on, except with a captive populace.

They correctly believe that monied interests profiting off incarceration will lead to lobbying by these interests in favor of laws designed to increase rates of incarceration.

However your friends probably are using this legitimate issue as a crutch to bolster their wrong belief that blacks are being persecuted and jailed for no reason.

Why?

>Prisons lobby for the strictest of strict jail sentence times
>Increasing recidivism is actually profitable so jails don't bother to actually correct the behaviour of inmates before their release, in some cases they even come out worse.

NGO's are a problem only because the government hiring them is a problem. They eliminate competition and provide perverse incentives via corrupt, bloated contracts. Even so, private prisons will always be cheaper than government run ones. All this hatred of private prisons is just standard Democrat stuff. They would nationalize all private industry if they could get away with it.

>provide perverse incentives

Putting a profit motive behind keeping people in prison and making sure they come back is inherently perverse. The gub'mint doesn't need to do anything special for a private prison to be corrupt.

Great, now each state can have even more control over completely fucked up private prisons!
Don't forget the private corporations that collect court fees!

This shit is out of fucking control.

Does an incentivized prison system really have to be explained?

They are only talking about FEDERAL prisons. This will affect about 14k inmates compared to the 1.5 million inmates in state facilities.

If you read the coverage something interesting is the private prisons claim the majority of their inmates at the federal level are not even US citizens.

Nice strawman

>If you read the coverage something interesting is the private prisons claim the majority of their inmates at the federal level are not even US citizens.

now that's interesting.

>TL;DR me about why this is important?
Signals a change in the wind. It's a big shift as for-profit prisons promote rushing people accused of crimes into prison to get sweet government bucks.
The states will slowly follow over the next 50 years as they realize it's cheaper to not have private prisons than it is to have public prisons

Leftists like it because liberal thought is that the majority of prisoners deserve humane treatment and rehabilitation, not permanent incarceration.

Became the conflict of interest in private practice lobbying for more prison time to make more money. Also, US citizens have right to life, liberty and property. Only state has power to revoke those rights. Private prison gives citizen the chance to determine whether or not to suspend constitutional rights and for how long. Private prison is dystopian future nightmare.

To put it simply anything run by the government will be a badly run overpriced service, EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Because several things that shouldn't be illegal have been made illegal so the legislators and owners of the prison get more money

seriously inflated

in prison $1.25 for one pack of ramen noodle

The Left has convinced itself that one fo the causes of mass incarceration is a "prison lobby" which uses its money and influence to get longer sentences enacted into law so it can make more money housing prisoners. The fact that there was at least one scandal about a judge getting paid-off by a private prison company for handing down harsher sentences has helped feed that impression.

>LOLBERTARIANS BTFO

Now, now, now -- I'm a libertarian, but not a "private police force" libertarian (so maybe I'm not a lolbertarian?), but have been staunchly against private prisons for a long time -- so long as the legislative authorities can be lobbied, it is inherently anti-liberty to allow an entity to exist that profits from the denial of liberty (i.e., imprisonment) to citizens, because you cannot expect a business to not seek to maximize profit, and in this case one of the most powerful strategies to do so is to lobby the legislative authority to impose laws that curtail liberty.

So, yeah, running prisons is a natural government function. It's just not as sexy as "military and judges" on the list of things that the government should do.