Hated working with Disney

>hated working with Disney
>ended his award-winning show after 2 seasons so execs couldn't fuck with it
>finally gets a chance to make his adult-oriented animated comedy
>...at fox

Why the fuck did Alex make a deal with Fox? Why not just go the Netflix/Hulu route?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=0oMTmtN7lHI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>adult-oriented animated comedy

Explain.

What the fuck is with his obession with Twin Peaks?

>ended his award-winning show after 2 seasons so execs couldn't fuck with it
You mean he ended it a season earlier than planned because his inexperience left him incapable of dealing with the pressures of showrunning.

>finally gets a chance to make his adult-oriented animated comedy
>...at fox

This was probably his biggest mistake.

Everybody knows if you're not The Simpsons, your animated comedy won't last beyond a season at best.

Could be worse, he could have gone to Comedy Central...

I doubt he had a ton of choices, it's not like you can just do whatever you want and have the pick of the networks

>adult show

Tell me more

(OP)
He sold his soul to maintain creative freedom, and will wind up with neither in the end.

>yet another Alex thread
If you're so obsessed why don't you just marry him?

>Everybody knows if you're not The Simpsons, your animated comedy won't last beyond a season at best.

Yeah. Someone call The Critic, the PJs, The Cleavland Show, Family Guy, Futurama, American Dad, King of the Hill, and Bobs Burgers and tell them to go back in time and cancel their shit after the first season because nothing afterwards exists.

But seriously, adult animated shows actually last longer on Fox than on other channels. It's all the other networks that have struggled to get their adult animated shows to stick. Its closest competitors: Adult Swim and Comedy Central, even ended up rearing and picking up shows that Fox had canceled.

Not that most shows (animated or live action, aimed at adults or kids) tend to last more than a season or two to begin with.

So brave

I'd say Fox has had more misses than hits, at least lately. Sit Down Shut Up, Allen Gregory, Napoleon Dynamite, not to mention the entirety of the ADHD block. And when you factor in a standard Fox show's lifespan, they tend to be on the "one season and done" side.

I still think that he has enough clout to get a show on premium cable. Fox is notorious for being overbearing on their shows

why have we not heard a word of this alleged "adult cartoon" by alex? not a single bit of its concept, not a shred of promo art or news, certainly not a release date. is this the duke nukem forever of cartoons?

>The Critic
>The PJs
Neither found a solid audience due to FOX fucking them in the ass with scheduling and DVD releases. The fact that either show even got more than ten episodes is amazing.

>Futurama, Family Guy
Both cancelled and only got brought back due to Adult Swim.

>American Dad
It's a TBS property now.

>Cleveland Show
Cancelled.

Bob's Burgers and King of the Hill are probably the only shows that took off without any bumps in the road. Everything else has "a history" or got shoved off somewhere in the end.

I know you were trying to make a point but the guy was not being literal about one season. Bob's Burgers even being able to "make it" during the time of Sit Down Shut Up and Allen Gregory is so fortunate for them because they could have easily have been canned, especially since Home Movies was a fucking bomb and the pilot for Bob's basically just felt like a "clearer" version of Home Movies.

>the guy was not being literal about one season.

How do you know that exactly?

From an animator to you:

You take more or less 5 years since the conception of a show until it can actually start its production, and you also has to sign a dozen of contracts promising that you won't spoil anything regarding it.

I'm going to be super disappointed if this new show isn't a boy/girl set of twins that has filthy sex every episode or two.

Of course, this is also Alex Hirsch and he's super disappointed me before........

Perhaps Disney IS worse than Fox and offers less creative freedom. Have you considered this?

He's the CM Punl of Sup Forums

"Twin Cheeks"

I'm Catholic and he's a Jew. It wouldn't work out.

Netflix runs a very tight ship, they don't trust him enough to give him a show.
Same with John K and thr invader zim guy.

Season 2 was shit and AH is a hack

>adult-oriented animated comedy
Oh yeah, western cartoons surely lack those things. Very original and refreshing work from Alex "The Hack" Hirsch. Keep reaching for the stars, buddy.

I miss Manzi...

I want him to gag my cock so bad...

Yeah, I dunno if he's dumb or he has some real deep connections we don't know but if he thinks Disney executives are bad I don't know how he'll handle Fox.

Actually scratch what I said about "deep connections". Mcfarlene is practically Fox's golden boy and yet they still treat him like shit all the time.

but they got rid of the execs who kept interrupting the writers, remember zootopia?!

I haven't seen Zootopia.

>But seriously, adult animated shows actually last longer on Fox than on other channels.
Bordertown

Bigger budget and a better track record.

How much he hated working at Disney?

>adult oriented

Does this ever mean something good?

As far as I can tell it either means vulgar humor with the maturity of a high schooler or a boring animated sitcom or both

>Both cancelled
After 3-5 seasons.

Not true there are exactly two okay-ish adult cartoons in the whole western hemisphere right now.

Yeah I find that hard to believe

I don't think I have ever seen a fox show with a good animation budget and compare that to Disney which seems to put the most into animation anymore

Which two?

You had to be there.

Watching TP week-by-week as it aired was equivalent to Sup Forums watching Gravity Falls - obsessing over details, putting clues together, deciphering mysteries, etc.

Rick and Morty and Bojack Horseman are good.

actually the critic had one season in abc only to be cancelled and went onto fox, only to be cancelled again.

I'd say you're leaving out Archer.

Unfortunately a lot of good adult animation doesn't last long, or else there'd be more to praise.

As someone who just marathoned TP, I am so glad I didn't have to wait, I don't think I could have taken it. I mean, nothing was confusing to me like I hear others were confused, but I was always excited for the next episode.

>I'd say Fox has had more misses than hits

Every network does. Just like most new business that open fail within the first year, most new shows don't make it past the first season. It's not something about Fox.

And SDSU/Allen Gregory, and Napoleon Dynamite are just 3 less successful shows vs their many more successful ones, in which case, they've amazingly bucked the trend.

And the ADHD shorts were just shorts/pilots, not actual shows. Like What-A-Cartoon Show or Oh Yeah Cartoons.

I'm pretty sure BB is only alive because the network head likes it and it being the critics favorite of the block while KotH beat the Simpsons in the ratings twice during the first two seasons of the show.

F is for Family, Archer, Rick and Morty, Venture Bros., Metalocalypse, Ugly Americans, Moonbeam City, Bojack Horseman.

Sure, many of those shows can use immature or vulgar humor, but it's hardly a crutch.

Compared to Hulu and netflix, not disney. With hulu/netflix you gotta bring your own studio and a partial budget or be REALLY FUCKING GOOD.

user who said it here, of course not literal. The point is they are always screwed over in one way or another.

in not telling you to watch zootopia, only to check how zoootopia was written.

It was an amazing process.

All those shows still got at least 3 seasons. Half of them moved on to other Networks and got more. Over a 3rd are STILL making new episodes.

Considering most shows don't get past the pilot or first season, and most that get past that rarely get past 3 seasons or so (enough to create enough episodes for syndication) then Fox has a surprisingly high success rate.

If you consider any show that doesn't last 10+ seasons a failure, then you have very unrealistic expectations.

Just to drive home the point: try to think of how many other networks have had even half the number of animated shows lasting as long as those on Fox. You can even take the Simpsons out of it.

Adult Swim is the only real competition in that regard, and the first hour or 2 of their line up are reruns of Fox shows (two of which got picked back up).

What network is Hirsch supposed to go to?

I would also like to add that Adult Swim isn't looking for new shows right now, it is too late in the year and they are already showing their new pilots.

Within this decade only BB survived. The last decade was American Dad (now on TBS) and The Cleveland Show (cancelled after 4 seasons) and the decade before was KotH, Futurama (canceled after four seasons then brought back on CC for an additional three seasons) and Family Guy (canceled after three seasons then brought back 3 years later). Meanwhile three of Adult Swim's longest running series are from the last decade, their most successful show is from this decade and they have more to come. You don't have much of a chance surviving at Fox, at least you're guranteed three seasons at CC minimal.

>adult
I agree. My favorite shows have always been those that appealed to all audiences.

>But seriously, adult animated shows actually last longer on Fox than on other channels

m.youtube.com/watch?v=0oMTmtN7lHI

Your standards are waaaaay too high. Just getting a show made is a success that very few people get to enjoy, let alone lasting over a single season.

>You had to be there.
>Watching TP week-by-week as it aired was equivalent to Sup Forums watching Gravity Falls - obsessing over details, putting clues together, deciphering mysteries, etc.

It's hilarious that Hirsch was a huge Twin Peaks fanboy online back in the day, exactly the same as every /gfg/ user here...

...and exactly the same as Gravity Falls, Twin Peaks had everyone complaining that the show fell apart as soon as its central mystery was revealed, went instantly downhill, hacks, Hack Lynch, show ruined, etc.

Fuck I read a post Hirsch made online at the time he was a kid fanboy complaining about Twin Peaks/The Simpsons decline that sounded exactly like people here sound, word for word.

History repeats itself.

I'm an oldfag and remember the TP experience and fan complaints all too well. It really, really was nearly identical.

For what it's worth, I really enjoyed both twin Peaks and Gravity Falls, by the way. When you grow up and start producing things, you realize just how difficult this shit really is.

>I am so glad I didn't have to wait

See, though, it's the waiting that made it so compelling and impactful for so many people.

When it's airing week by week, you get all this downtime to let the mystery settle in. People get obsessed with thinking about the next episode and have time to talk over the water cooler with other fans (or nowadays post on a message board).

This was 1990. Nothing on TV had done something like this before - be so weird while also stringing you along on this ongoing developing mystery. The X-Files would do it next. Between them, the two shows changed narrative in television in the same way Metal Gear Solid changed narrative in video games or The Simpsons changed mainstream TV comedy.

Hirsch probably watched the show as kid and had his mind blown so hard he had to make his own version.

>Just getting a show made is a success
Adult Swim aired a show called Assey McGee that lasted for one season.

>Getting the show made is a success
Heads will greenlight anything with the right connections and if you can pitch it to them. A shows success is judged by how audience respond not if it actually gets made.

What exactly is surviving to you if 2-3 seasons isn't surviving?

How is 2-3 seasons surviving? Most shows get a work order of 26 episodes that's split into 13 episode seasons or even 6. If the show tanks bad they won't even bother airing the rest but if you can make it past the initial order then you've made it. Why do you think shows like Invader Zim had a full seasons worth of material that was never made after Nick pulled the show?

>>Meanwhile three of Adult Swim's longest running series are from the last decade, their most successful show is from this decade and they have more to come.

And let's look at the "failures".

12 oz Mouse
Assy McGee
Black Dynamite
The Brack Show
China IL
Drinky Crow
Frisky Dingo
Harvey Birdman
Lucy Daughter of the Devil
Frankenhole
Moral Orel
Home Movies
Minoriteam
Perfect Hair Forever
Sealab 2021
Space Ghost Coast to Coast
Stroker and Hoop
Super Jail
Titan Maxium
Xavier Renegade Angel

Yeah, they have animated more shows that have last 5+ seasons, but way more shows than Fox that have lasted fewer. 9 of the shows I mentioned are from the last 10 years.

Meanwhile, of the 5 Fox shows they've aired, half of them proved so popular that they were brought out of cancellation- I don't think you understand how rare and amazing this is.

>>at least you're guranteed three seasons at CC minimal.

Not true.

The only CC original animated show to last more than 2 seasons are South Park and Drawn Together- which lasted exactly 3.

Freakshow lasted 7 episodes, Kid Notorious lasted 9 episodes, Lil Bush lasted 17, Moonbeam City got 10, Shorties Watching Shorties got 13, Trip Tank lasted 2 seasons, and Lengend of Chamberly Heights is only 10 episodes in.

Any other animated shows on CC were picked up from other networks. I'd also like to point out that Futurama has more season on Fox than it did on Comedy Central.

And in that list, none of them shows listed were animated shows.

You're ignoring the adult cartoons from MTV and other channels, like Downtown, Clone High, Mission Hill, Moral Orel, Life and Times of Tim that didn't need to rely on modern adult tropes

And yet they trust Raphael Bob-Waksberg, who is younger and has much less experience?
Though his show is produced by Micheal Eisner's company so he's probably who Raph reports to

>Most shows get a work order of 26 episodes that's split into 13 episode seasons or even 6.

65% of shows on TV get cancelled in their first season. And some don't even get to complete their 1st season before getting ripped off the channel or deathslotted. Getting 2 or more seasons IS making it.

And what does unused material prove? You cancel Simpsons or Family Guy right now and their'd be seasons of unused material (and no I'm not saying it'd be good material).

>Most shows get a work order of 26 episodes that's split into 13 episode seasons or even 6.

No they don't.

Why did you quote me?

It's an edgy word for animated sitcom.

Yeah, you can argue that Bojack Horseman or Rick and Morty are animated dramedies, but they're still sitcoms at their core with silly B-plots.

>failures
The only "failures" on that list are Drinky Crow, Lucy Daughter of the Devil, Titan Maxium, Frisky Dingo and Stroker And Hoop. The rest were never planned to continue forever and ended as planned. Given how William Street never actually plans for their shows to run for more than two seasons and will pick up projects just to experiment or as a joke like 12 oz Mouse and that still doesn't compare to the amount of outright failures FOX has aired.

>show to last more than 2 seasons are South Park and Drawn Together- which lasted exactly 3.
Wrong Brickleberry lasted for three seasons

>Meanwhile, of the 5 Fox shows they've aired, half of them proved so popular that they were brought out of cancellation
And aired on other networks which had shit to do with Fox and more to do with people supporting the show on DVD. Family Guy was the only show that came back to FOX.

How is Space Ghost a failure?

The show was never greenlit, you idiots. He was just pitching it. He's pitching a lot of shit right now. They're also considering him for the Detective Pikachu movie.

Wait until something gets fucking greenlit before freaking out.

Fox makes their shows on a higher budget and, consequently, needs more viewers for a show to be considered successful. Fox ADHD was an experiment where they did low-budget programming outside the "funny family" mold, but they nixed it fairly quickly.

Fuck, doesn't News Corp own FX? Wouldn't Archer be considered a success for Fox('s parent company)?

>The only CC original animated show to last more than 2 seasons are South Park and Drawn Together- which lasted exactly 3.

Brickleberry also lasted exactly 3 before going on to become a comic book.

And don't forget Drawn Together got a DVD movie following the 3rd season.

The bulk of those shows ended and weren't cancelled compared to every failed show that were canned after a few episodes on FOX that's actually good.

Except those shows came back due to fan support it had shit to do with FOX at all since they were the one's that canned them due to low ratings to begin with.

You forgot Brickleberry which lasted three seasons.

Which is an irrelevant point to bring up since that's how many episodes they ordered.

>Getting 2 or more seasons IS making it.
Wrong again dumbfuck.

I swear to God, Seth must have incriminating pictures of some Fox execs.

>It doesn't count because Adult Swim expects you not last more than 2 seasons.

Superjail, Frankenhole, China IL, and Moral Orel (to name a few) all got scrapped. Moral Orel had an especially prominent cancellation and had to hastily wrap up several seasons worth of content in the last season.

user, that's old model thinking.

Nowadays it's a 13 ep season if you're with a good network.

Or maybe a crass raunchy cartoon is something that people want to see once a week. We all want to think better of humanity, but most people don't have very sophisticated sense of humour.

You're not talking to one user fucktard. And you didn't address the fact that over half of ordered tv shows last only 1 season.

Nah they actually canned the one project he cared about.

He's ironically in a Hanna Barbara situation making the same formula repackages again and again. Maybe he finds some kinda cosmic humor in that.

>12 oz Mouse
Experiment. They never planned for it to last long
>Assey McGee
Joke
>Black Dynamite
Never planned to go beyond two seasons
>The Brack Show
Three seasons also mostly a joke
>China IL
Three seasons. Nedley also didn't want to do more.
>Drinky Crow
Canned
>Frisky Dingo
Three seasons. Two special episodes. Couldn't do more because the studio shut down
>Harvey Birdman
Ended.
>Lucy Daughter of the Devil
Canned
>Frankenhole
Dino was never going to do more than two seasons
>Moral Orel
Ended with three seasons
>Home Movies
Ended with 4 seasons
>Minoriteam
Canned
>Perfect Hair Forever
Was a fucking joke.
>Sealab 2021
Ended with five seasons
>Space Ghost Coast to Coast
Ended with 10 seasons. Still do segments from time to time.
>Stroker and Hoop
Canned
>Superjail
Ended with three seasons
>Titan Maximum
Canned
>Xavier
Ended.

So five actual cancellations within 12 years. That's not bad.

>Detective Pikachu movie.

Wait, WHAT? This is a thing?

>Superjail
3 seasons.
>Frankenhole
2 seasons
>China IL
3 seasons
>Moral Orel
3 seasons

Dino got the word that they weren't going to be picked up for another season from the last half of season two and made the third season the last. It ended and even got a special.

>And you didn't address the fact that over half of ordered tv shows last only 1 season.
And you didn't address the fact that those shows only air half of the production order. One season of 13 episodes can air of a production order of 26.

Eh it's all Atlanta based dunno if they pay attention to that.

Damn I wish they hadn't canned their other project before we even got to see the pilot.

I really liked the idea of a pair of female bounty hunters in the post apocalypse American south.

But nah some comedian wanted to do a project so they'll green light that instead.

>Fuck I read a post Hirsch made online at the time he was a kid fanboy complaining about Twin Peaks/The Simpsons decline that sounded exactly like people here sound, word for word.
Let me see that shit.

Where's your proof that all of those 1 season wonders had more episodes ordered that were scrapped instead of the reality of what was ordered was what was produced? Yes, it does happen, but that's not everyone's story.

>Fox
So his new show is most likely to be cancelled?

That is always my mode when I watch anything new on Fox (or CBS if it doesn't confirm to their procedure drama fare) Don't get attached as it likely won't last the first season.

>Where's your proof that all of those 1 season wonders had more episodes ordered that were scrapped instead of the reality of what was ordered was what was produced?
Mission Hill

Production was abruptly halted in the middle of animation in that case, same with the second season of Invader Zim.
Both are extraordinarily rare examples of them pulling the plug on episodes they already poured money into, usually it's more profitable to finish stuff. In Zim's case Nick actually violated a contract but Jhonen was drained of the money and willpower to go after them

Leave Alex alone! Without him, we wouldn't even have best girl.

bump

>Detective Pikachu movie
This better have Danny DeVito voicing Pikachu.

>Nah they actually canned the one project he cared about.
And that was?

It will be Weird Al.

Yeah despite it's issues Alex obviously enjoyed Twin Peaks for what it was and is remembered fondly. I'm pretty sure Gravity Falls will be remembered well too, most places outside of Sup Forums love it.