Will it be good or just another Xavier Dolan dud?

Will it be good or just another Xavier Dolan dud?

Might become his only good one. His other works are total garbage, especially mommy

giv jew mommy gf

Was pic any good?

based giv poster

Nothing he does is good. People call him "the new Fassbinder", but they think it's a compliment. It's actually to his detriment. Fassbinder also is mainly remembered for the quantity and precocity of his productions, rather than the quality or achievement. Most of his films feel underwritten, underdirected, under-everything - until he starts employing big-time technicians and basically dissolves his style in pastiche. The period when he tried to ape Sirk while still shooting in a bunch of overlit hovels or obviously cut-price sets with people who basically couldn't act, which is the most praised of his work, is the most garbage. When he got the big-time production values, they just became underwritten and underdirected walks through other people's lush aesthetics. Now he's mainly remembered for taking enough to speed to blow up an elephant and fucking anything with a pulse despite looking like a bulldog licking piss off a nettle. Dolan will go down in history as the Gap model version of Fassbinder.

*enough speed

I fucking hate tattoos on womans

>In selecting his soundtrack, Dolan sought "this sort of happy, sad, nostalgia-filled texture". Hence, he chose "I Miss You" by Blink-182 and "Natural Blues" by Moby.[6]

HAHAHAHAHAHA FUCKING HELL

Why

I used to hate dolan, but then I actually watched and then the one where he goes to a farm, and now I think hes actually a really good director, despite being a privileged fag who gets to live his dream unlike me.

It looks gross. Like scars. Men are suppose to have scares. Looks like giant gash on her beautiful skin

/thread

>The period when he tried to ape Sirk while still shooting in a bunch of overlit hovels or obviously cut-price sets with people who basically couldn't act, which is the most praised of his work, is the most garbage
Is the film where the old white woman gets with the Moroccan guy one of them? Would explain a lot desu.
Either way, I feel bad for you for at least knowing about Fassbinder yet not having a worthwhile board in which to discuss anything except capeshit. Anons like you deserve more.

There's an user like that who shows up in /lit/ and writes the most beautiful criticism (and sometimes songs) and you have to figure it's someone who um ... let's just say is a very accomplished writer. When intelligent posts like that crop up I am in utter delight

(Although I still think Dolan is closer in spirit to Visconti than Fassbinder ... I can't see Dolan ever making a movie like Katzelmacher. There's a seediness to Fassbinder that Xavier is too prissy to attempt)

Mmmm, gonna have to disagree with you there a bit. I found Fassbinder's main flaw was to delve too deeply into the characters to the detriment of other elements of the film. You could argue that that is what constitutes as being "underwritten" but I always felt he was too preoccupied by really making the motivations of his characters clear to the point of boredom. It certainly felt that way in Maria Braun, Petra von Kant and Year of 13 Moons, but like you said, his filmography is so large that people excuse him for these shortcomings. Dolan suffers from the same problem, and he tries to make up for the inevitable disinterest in picking apart his characters by making them act all melodramatic. I still found Laurence Anyways a decent watch despite its runtime.

Maybe Dolan should get a black bf

Yeah, that's one.

Thanks! /film/ would have been a shitposting magnet though, so I don't mind too much.

I'd only compare them in terms of being praised for throwing a lot of shit at the wall. The people who make the comparison normally, as praise, never seem to be very rigorous about what else but his youth and prolificity reminds them of him.

Xavier is the premiere hack of our time. He oozes pretentiousness.

He makes his schematic characters clear with restatement rather than doing anything multi-faceted with them, which is why I don't think it's characterisation-led, ultimately, hence "underwritten".

based

>hershlag is now doing mommy roles
where did the time go

>be a director
>named after a meme
>make meme movies
what did he what did he what did he mean by this bravo the fire rises

i want her to breastfeed me

yas