US will hand over DNS supervision to ICANN, lessening its control of the naming system

techrepublic.com/article/us-will-hand-over-dns-supervision-to-icann-lessening-its-control-of-the-naming-system/

>>>Starting on October 1, the multi-stakeholder group ICANN will begin watching over the DNS, changing the US's 20-year role in governing the system.

>Starting on October 1, 2016, the US will take a major step in lessening its stewardship of the domain name system (DNS), when it hands over supervision of the system to the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN). The DNS is basically a directory for internet-connected devices that helps translate domain names to numerical IP addresses.

>US never abused it's role in shepherding the Internet into the future
>The Obama administration, through the Department of Commerce, decided to not renew the US role of ensuring the Internet is free and open
>ICANN will inherit the role when the Department of Commerce does not renew its authority
>ICANN is a "non-profit", aka a closed cabal of chosen executives from corporations, and they will then control DNS and therefore the Internet
>National leaders from around the world start to suppress websites from other countries under the guise of "foreign influence" on national security
>Internet becomes fragmented
>The Internet becomes a tool of despots to further suppress people
>Free speech is greatly diminished

One bright side is that we won't see Australian or Canadian shitposters again.

Other urls found in this thread:

nginx.com/resources/glossary/dns-load-balancing/
kickass.to/
boards.Sup
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namecoin
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

redpill on this I have no idea what it will mean

bump

They're gonna remove the names from websites in order to censor us basically, because most weebs don't understand IP addresses.

>implying the US didn't abuse the fuck out of their control

>they will then control DNS and therefore the Internet
lel, someone actually thinks this

Why the fuck are we giving up our control though? What's the point. We're doing fine

What does DNS have to do with free speech?
>like nigga just rename your website

The only function a Domain Name Server does is redirect a url to an ip address.

>remove the names from websites in order to censor us basically
That's the second most retarded thing I've read all day.

stopping people typing www.google.com and making them type 198.142.186.119 instead

This is going to be fun

>implying nerds can't make a p2p dns in 5 mins

I suppose its time to ask which is the worst of 2 evils.

In all seriousness, how bad is this really? Some say it's the end of the internet, others say it isn't that bad.

FUCK YOU GLOBALIST CUNTS LEAVE MY ARPANET ALONE SHES NOT FOR YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

ICANN and other nonprofits like ISO have always managed the Internet. ICANN already manages the IP addressing for IPv4 and 6. And ICANN has always done the job and well, the US government just had decision making power over it.

I'd like to see your proof ICANN is ran by corporate executives considering it doesn't make any money.

You fucking idiot, you don't even know what DNS is, do you?
DNS servers are databases on your ISP that pairs ip addresses with site names. You need the IP address to access a website. DNS remembers IPs for you so instead of remembering a sites IP you remember it's name, like Sup Forums or blacked.

>no citation that any real domain seizure wasn't legit
>opinion discarded
so we all trade IP addresses now?

Also, clearly you're stupid.

nginx.com/resources/glossary/dns-load-balancing/

Almost any website you go to today has DNS load balancing, which basically means when you go to www.Sup Forums.org, we all aren't going to the same computer at the same IP because that would crush any one computer. www.Sup Forums.org points to a collection of machines which host mirrors of the content, and so the load is spread out over many machines.

So, you'll lose access to any website that uses DNS load balancing (most public sites do) if the ICANN corporation deems it "subversive".

kickass.to/

Heh.

This, all it's going to do is get old timers off of facebook and make the internet feel like the old 90s wild west which is FUCKING gr8 if you ask me.

This is a terrible Idea. ICANN has been trying its best to fuck up DNS and TLDs.

ICANN brought in top level domains so that websites can register addresses that are not restricted to using .com or .org for example. This ended up being a cash grab (where Johnson and Johnson paid top money for .baby, or other companies were forced to buy their own .company names so that others couldn't hijack their name and extort them), and now I don't see anyone using the TLDs anyway, but at least ICANN made a lot of money.....

This isn't a big deal for the US. But it is a major thing for the rest of the world.

Now, the destruction of the Internet can begin. With the US gone other countries can do what China has already done and wall off their own domestic internets to their likening.

While the US is no saint, our internet is vulnerable to monitoring and datamining, it's at least "free". The government cannot remove your website for "indecency" or "racism". This is not so in any other country, and now they have the tools to begin effective censorship even if the servers are in the US (their connections can be blocked).

'Free flow of information is the only safeguard against tyranny. The once-chained people whose leaders at last lose their grip on information flow will soon burst with freedom and vitality, but the free nation gradually constricting its grip on public discourse has begun its rapid slide into despotism. Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master."

>clearly you're stupid
I do this shit for a living, I know how it works. Its perfectly reasonable to type an ip address and be sent to a different server.

There are also private dns servers

>IPv4
Nah, you gotta memorize 2001:4860:4860::8844

If it means the death of social media and puts a stop to people talking in public about memes I'm all for it baby.

A solution was provided early on: bittorrent.

social media won't die, it'll just be more decentralized. Each country will have their own facebook/google equivalent (ala yandex in russia or baidu in china)

see

I wasn't talking to you.

The trouble with trying to solve it with routing is that it takes more infrastructure to set it up, something like Amazon, and even then it's not flexible. The problem with routing tables is that they're meant to be stable, and that doesn't lend itself well to RR.

bind and Apache httpd have been doing this for so long and are very good at it.

do you even know how bittorrent functions?

The actual torrents are still up, the data has not gone anywhere. Other public trackers are available and the content (about 2 gb of magnet links) can be easily rehosted. In effect it's impossible to stomp it out. This is why piracy has continued to grow despite the growth of online stores.

Of course I know how it functions. Doesn't change the fact that shit like this is intimidating large trackers into closing up shop. I don't want the world to be left with private weeb club trackers with impossible ratios requiring seedboxes.

It's been happening ever since the DMCA was first passed twenty years ago. New public trackers pop up and deal with the shit until they close down, and pop back up again under a new name. The data itself remains intact and unaffected.

Also there is literally nothing wrong with private trackers or seedboxes.

It means that an international group can now prevent people from being able to go to websites that they don't like.

Hmm self, goto pol
>boards.Sup Forums.org/pol
Page cannot be displayed
>ping boards.Sup Forums.org
Name could not be resolved

This admin may as well let Venezuela control the Internet.

>Nothing wrong with private trackers.

Maybe if you never leave your computer desk.

sometimes, we must sacrifice a bit of ourselves ($10/mo server fee) for the betterment of mankind

>easy ipv6 addresses
Hey bro, why don't you check out my sickass webzone at [2001:db8:85a3:8d3:1319:8a2e:370:7348]:443

>implying direct corporate control won't be even worse than indirect corporate control through the slow malaise that is government bureaucracy.

If the government put their mind to it kickass could have been wiped of the face of the earth legally in seconds

If things gets too bad, alternatives like namecoin will get more popular.
The elites think they have it figured out, but they don't.

>Namecoin's flagship use case is the censorship-resistant top level domain .bit, which is functionally similar to .com or .net domains but is independent of ICANN, the main governing body for domain names.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namecoin