This weekend I am going to watch all 6 original Star Trek movies (I've only seen #s 1 and 2)

This weekend I am going to watch all 6 original Star Trek movies (I've only seen #s 1 and 2).

What am I in for?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gJGwEP7AZHg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

An arc from drama into screwball comedy and back into drama.

4 and 6 are great.
3 is okay, 5 is nearly unwatchable

I got stoned and did the same thing the other weekend. TMP is very much a product of its time but all in all is very faithful to TOS, TWOK is severely overrated and Ricardo Montalbans performance is hamfisted entirely. Search for Spock is underrated, 4 is a love letter to the characters, 5 is donkey dick, 6 is great.

this, though I would say 3 is below average

Should I skip 3? I watched it ten years ago but didn't finish it and don't remember a thing about it.

I loved 1 though.

You shouldn't skip 3 if for no other reason it picks up in continuity right after 2 and 4 follows from it, as well. 5 is stand alone.

Yeah but I already know who dies in 2 and that he obviously gets resurrected somehow in 3. can't i just read the wiki and skip straight to 4?

Don't skip any movies. Only ADD retards do this.

So I have to watch every film ever? Even the bad ones? This is obviously bad advice

I - pretty unmemorable for me, not sure how other people think of it
II - I think it's really overrated. Just one of those things were people keep hearing how great it is and parroting that, and then it spirals out of control. That said, even though it's not really my personal favorite, I understand why people like it.
III - I actually like this one more than Wrath of Khan, but everyone seems to dislike it. I acknowledge its faults, but I still think it's really enjoyable.
IV - I suppose you could argue this isn't really a Star Trek movie, but I don't care. It's ridiculous and it's awesome.
V - complete dogshit. I think Shatner saw the success Nimoy had with directing and said "hey, I can do that too," but he was dead wrong. First 1/3rd of the movie is a terrible jerkoff session that's an ode to Kirk, the rest of the movie just sucks on its own.
VI - great movie. Can't think of much to criticize it about other than the fact that when you watch it in HD, the cast looks old as fuck. Sulu and Kirk hated each other by this point, so they banished Sulu from the plot.

corect opinions

I guess, but I don't ever say skip anything. Christopher Llyod is the bad guy in 3 and the end confrontation with him and Kirk is pretty good. Spock gets resurrected by Genesis and Bones puts his mind back in his body. It's fun. I like it better than 4.
6 is really great. If you're gonna skip any, go straight to 6, then do 3 and 4, and only do 5 and Generations if you're masochistic or a die-hard Trekkie.

>V - complete dogshit. I think Shatner saw the success Nimoy had with directing and said "hey, I can do that too," but he was dead wrong. First 1/3rd of the movie is a terrible jerkoff session that's an ode to Kirk, the rest of the movie just sucks on its own.
Completely correct but I love it because it's so terrible and batshit stupid. It's utter Shatner wank.

The premise sounds interesting though - a voyage to the center of the galaxy to find god.

Boring crap alternating with uncanny regularity with fun, entertaining kino.

If your tastes are right, you will truly appreciate why the conventional wisdom among Trek fans has been "Even numbers good, odd numbers bad."

Also more seriously the American metaphor of Moby Dick, ships, whale hunting is a major theme in the (better) Trek films. My personal three favorite (because they are actually the best) Trek flicks, 2, 4, and 8 (FC) all feature reference to Moby Dick or literal whales in some way, shape, manner or form.

C O L O R F U L
M E T A P H O R S

Watch where you're going, you dumb ass!

That premise sounds offensively stupid

It does, doesn't it?

Shatner manages to completely ruin what is manifestly an interesting plot.

Well, double dumbass on you!

>V Is a completely terrible movie and there's nothing in it that's any goo...
youtube.com/watch?v=gJGwEP7AZHg

These scene along makes it a better film than any of the Next Gen movies because there really is nothing redeeming about those

jewish fairytales conditioning you to be soft

they did this in the show twice

I-I-I liked Final Frontier

was an interesting premise, and a villain which the team eventually understood and collaborated.
Shit ending though

4 > 2 > 8 > 7 > 3 > 6 > 5 > 1 > 10 > 9

1 is unironically the best. hard sci fi and cool visual effects, slow pacing and music.

>hard sci fi
You don't know what this means so I am discarding your post.

people don't like the third one because they recast saavik with a flatline of an actor that had zero chemistry with kirk's son

>He likes a toy spaceship moving a centimeter a minute
moron

you're gonna find out why god needs a starship

a double dumbass on you
enjoy it. it was yours before and itll be yours again
fookin kino.

TMP is way more about artistic storytelling than action. Many have called it boring.

WOK is pretty good, has some great iconic moments that are iconic for a reason, and Ricardo Montalban is great.

TSFS is mostly average. Nothing really special about it and the recasting of Saavik is jarring, at least to me.

TVH is legitimately funny as it was intended to be. A nice change of pace for the series.

TFF is goofy and the plot is stupid but it's surprisingly kino (pic related)

TUC is good. It's really scaled down compared to the fifth movie. It's a simpler story, more reliant on drama and it's a decent mystery movie.

Fast and the Furious and Marvel movies might be more your speed.

>TFF is goofy and the plot is stupid but it's surprisingly kino (pic related)
Really made me think

Don't let us down senpai, post the pic.

Fuck me, forgot until you said something.

A wondrous journey.

1. Visually stunning high concept scifi, bit like soft scifi 2001. People will either love it or hate it. Personally I think it is one of the best Trek movies.
2. KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!! The best villain in the franchise and the best movie of the series.
3. Average or mediocre in my opinion. Villain is lame compared to Khan. Pacing doesn't work. Some of action doesn't work.
4. Good comedy and comfy as fuck.
5. Shatners ego trip. Deleted rock monster scene is whole movie in nutshell. Kirk was supposed to beat bunch angels and demons summoned by false god, in next script treatment those became fire breathing rock monsters, 6 of them, that Kirk was supposed to beat 'em. Single suit turned out to cost like 200k and took like dozen effects people to operate, since cost of suit was issue, cloning it with optical effects was considered, single scene would have looked like shit and still burned most of budget. At that point it was scrapped. All other cringe worthy scenes like fan dance, rocket boots and shieet. Probably funniest thing is that William Shatner as director is the director that got absolutely worst acting out of actor William Shatner. Pretty much only good scenes are western like part in desert planet and comfy camping scenes. Goofy and schlocktastic.
6. I personally don't get why people like this as much as they do. It is utter corruption of progressive ethics of Star Trek. Klingons dindu nothing wrong the movie, it is all fault of Federation. Stand in for western civilization and while Klingons are equivalents of tyrannical commies or just savages. Not as bad as 5th movie, isn't bad enough to be funny.

Wrong. While First Contact ruins Borg as baddies as kinda removes the damn feature that defines them, hive mind and shieet, it is still good and enjoyable movie. Insurrection is pretty much average two part TNG-episode with 60 million budget. Generations simply doesn't work as movie and Nemesis is shit made by director with absolutely no idea what Trek is supposed to be. Too bad that Paramount didn't get what went wrong with Nemesis and did same mistake with Jar Jar.