youtube.com/watch?v=LmbcIfi2_PA
youtube.com/watch?v=7ox6d1cKru8
youtu.be/LyoG7_FDi8c
youtube.com/watch?v=stsnlTZG84Y
youtube.com/watch?v=51vFbsZkhXU
youtube.com/watch?v=HNGIcAN7ahw
youtube.com/watch?v=EFxy-hKS0nw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Someone brave and witty enough to make Trump jokes.

>What would it take to bring it back?
more Bill Burr stand up

But not like his last special. That one was appallingly average

Post your favorite stand up comedians
youtube.com/watch?v=hhCWw0E_mVY
youtube.com/watch?v=LmbcIfi2_PA

good taste bru
youtube.com/watch?v=7ox6d1cKru8

Bit melodramatic, OP. It might hit a lull (and wouldn't be the first time), but stand up comedy won't die.

I wish I was dead bill hicks.

Bill burrs last special was a huge let down, I hope his next one excels but he's married now so I have my doubts

Louis c.k peaked way to early nothing has come close to shameless or chewed up

Jim jefferies has completely swapped his format and his last special stunk in comparison to the kind of material that drew his original crowd to him

Dave chapelle has his moments and is an all round great pick to fall back on

Kevin hart I saw live 2 years ago and he absolutely killed, he's a funny mother fucker but I haven't followed him since that night so I'm not sure what he's like now

Doug Stanhope hits the nail on the head in all his shows but once again his earlier work hasn't been topped

Joe rogan is a breath of fresh air in a world being taken over by sjws and women, may not be the funniest guy but he always makes me think and has solid thoughts

Colin Quinn is just an all around amazing guy, his wit and quickness blows my mind and is rarely second to none, I actually need to watch his specials I've been putting them off because I'm afraid I won't find that kind of quality after watching his show

I am eternally grateful we all vast amount of legendary material from patrice, Carlin, hicks to enjoy until the end of time. I cannot recommend the youtube channel "cellar crowd" enough that man is doing gods work

>tfw stand up threads always die

> I actually need to watch his specials I've been putting them off because I'm afraid I won't find that kind of quality after watching his show
They're good if you like his style, it's a lot like his Tough Crowd monologues, very rambling and stumbling over his words but still fun

Standup is in a bad place right now. I think it would help for everybody to take life a bit less seriously. Too much tension in the USA today for people to laugh about the small things.

Christopher Titus

Probably the most underrated comedian. I love how all his specials have a overarching theme/storyline and personal weight.

youtu.be/LyoG7_FDi8c

People took life very serious in the early 90s and standup was fucking GOAT then

Because all the babies on Sup Forums only care about podcast now

Comedy that couldn't be done today

youtube.com/watch?v=51vFbsZkhXU

To add to that
Norm Mcdonald hardly even stands anymore much less does stand up.

Russell Peters was great
youtube.com/watch?v=HNGIcAN7ahw

Doug Stanhope's the best standup ever, and as long as he's staggering onto a stage, standup comedy isn't in such a bad place.

Jim Norton's recent special was surprisingly great as well, and Stewart Lee is still working.

It's pretty much impossible to be a comedian unless you pander to the rich liberal Jews that control the industry.

Same goes for hollywood, tv and the arts.

More female comedians. If you exclude half of population, you are excluding half of the talent pool.

I like Bo Burnham and Stewart Lee for their ironic self-referential styles, even though either person couldn't be any more different.

THIS. The Funny is Female.

I cant believe both those guys are dead, what a shame.

GET A FEELING SO COMPLEX

More young standups that aren't blatant sellouts/political shills.

George Carlin needs to be resurrected

>this was 20 years ago

fuck I feel old

Does anyone here do standup?

Talent.

Not sure if bait or just retarded.

growing up all I ever wanted to be was a comedian but I became an alcoholic instead

Podcasts are for people who work

I did for about 5 years, but I had to move to a town that has a shit scene so I quit.

>stand-up bullying the audience is dead

i wonder why?

You're not bait but you are retarded. Waste of trips, tbqhfaggot

KEK, you're a pussy if you think a comic has the power to bully you. Cunts like you are why everything in entertainment is dying. Neck yourself, you thin skinned turd

yeah, once in a while when i need to go to the rest room or get another bag of chip and coke

Is Joe Rogan actually a good comedian I always hear about how he does it but never if it's any good?

He's okay. Not in my top ten, but he's better than most of the new wave of hipster comics.

I watched one of his older specials and had to turn it off, couldn't get through it, but I thought his latest one triggered was ok, nothing amazing though.

What do you think of Norm ?

He's better with headphones and a guest than he is on stage. Like pretty much every stand up who's decided to do satellite radio or a podcast.

>People took life very serious in the early 90s

not really...growing up as a kid it was like the movie slacker in austin, people just walked around doing nothing getting stoned and drunk.

Doug Stanhope is a Messiah

I guess, Adam Carolla is a shit stand up but I can hear him rant on a podcast forever

>in austin

There's your problem. Austin isn't the real world.

What city were you in/where did you move to? Were you getting paid spot I've been doing open mics on and off for a few years but I hope to go to NYC for grad school and do standup more regularly.

I was doing stand-up in Chicago. Yes on the paid spots, but the money is a negligible aspect in comedy for the first 5-10 years. IMO, you need to grind open mics and free spots for that period of time before you're worth a shit. I moved to a small ghetto city where the scene is a joke, and that's all I have to say about that.

triggered is surprisingly good getting through it now
youtube.com/watch?v=EFxy-hKS0nw

Yeah I hear trying to make it in standup is brutal. I'm guessing you had a day job during those years?

OP, you should have made today's 100th GoT thread or another useless and unnecessary Doctor Who or Star Wars thread.

>I use to get drunk when I was 17. Finally hit rock bottom on my 18th birthday after blacking out and pissing on my neighbor's lawn. Decided I needed to tackle my addiction and been sober ever since.

Yeah, I had a day job, 90% do. "Trying to make it in standup" shouldn't be the goal. Writing and delivering good jokes and advancing your craft should be the goal.

>All faggots who can't stop talking about 'being funny' instead of actually being funny.
American comedy has always been shit.

I can't think of a single standup under 40 I would like to watch. Fucking 40 man.

Standup is in the fucking grave. I can't imagine any 20 something kid even attempting to do stand up. They're not even allowed to talk about it.

Sometimes I wonder if the thing that made him quit was the only sex story he'll never tell

Joe rogan is fucking 49 years old what the fuck

Can young people not get away with edgy comedy anymore

Most young people have been indoctrinated into cultural Marxism and identity politics, too afraid of hurting fee fees to actually be funny.

You decided to come into a thread about standup comedy to post this? Poor b8 m8. Go eat some blood pudding and STFU

fucking hate Titus, such a try hard. The kids who rocked Pantera shirts in highschool, are the same ones who enjoy Chris Titus standup

>Leave muh self declared "comedians" alone!!

Its not dead, just no hype acts right now. Its like Boxing. You can be good, you can be the best, but it takes a specific person to capture the audience and really push your sport to the top. Boxing had that with Ali, Frazier, Tyson, but then w hen those guys fell off, boxing became irrelevant. Stand-up is the same. You have Kevin Hart, who's the closest, but you don't have an Eddie Murphy type who makes their shows a must watch.

It also could just be that for the majority of an audience, going to a theatre to watch someone tell jokes might not be that interesting anymore with the internet being out now where poeple can instantly upload a phone video of a joke and send it to you.

>I can't think of a single standup under 40 I would like to watch.
Though stand-up is the kind of craft where you hit your peak a bit later in life. There are exceptions but I think 35-45 is the peak for comedians.

When it's come to the point that comedians have to hold every phone hostage at the door because somebody might get offended and run to the internet about the bad words he said, yeah, it's dead.

>but you don't have an Eddie Murphy type who makes their shows a must watch.

impling eddie murphy could do this today

>stewart lee

By the time you "make it" you lost your edge. You get a job a writer or something.

I wonder how many stand ups are just drug dealers.

Podcasting and youtube ruined standup for me. Many standup sound like they do on their podcast.

Also Sup Forums ruined standup.

How many of you have been to an open mic?

What about his opener, Dan Nainan?

Have you been to any of the cheaper stand-up places in NY? If anything too many young comedians try way too hard to be edgy to be funny. As a non-white guy of a race that's easy to make fun of I get roasted any time an audience interaction based comic comes up. Never seen anyone take offence apart from this one time where a 60 yo woman kept interrupting everyone cause she though she was soo cool for being a 60 yo at a stand-up. By the end one of the guys absolutely went off on her.

Nope. Haven't been inside an NYC comedy club since 2002

That's only a problem with bigger stand-ups who attract a lot of people who are not fans of comedy but have seen a clip on facebook or something. Smaller guys can get away with anything.

>Also Sup Forums ruined standup.
what

Then I don't know how you can make that statement about young guys being too afraid to hurt feelings. Maybe they won't get a netflix special if they're offensive but people can make it without netflix.

I've done hundreds of open mics and even operated my own for a while. What's your point?

Most young people are indoctrinated into cultural Marxism. Sorry for your poor reading comprehension.

> young guys being too afraid to hurt feelings.

And how many of those offensive comics do you see being able to make it? Really?

It's all moving to podcasts now.

Also, fuck off with your anecdotal shit about some garbage NYC club as if that's representative of the entirety of standup.

get out of your Sup Forums hugbox dude. you realize most males are probably on your side, but your retarded comments and complaining about nothing makes them want to reject you too.

Doesn't have any effect on comedy even if most do. Popular culture in general has very little effect on the standard of comedy.

They're not making it because they haven't struck a chord with a wider audience yet. And that's not because of how offensive they are.

Garbage NY clubs is where you'll see younger comics. And yes, NY clubs have been the heart of comedy since forever.

NY isn't the be-all-end-all of anything. Get out of your cosmopolitan bubble. Real comics start in the midwest then move to the coasts when it's time to do it for a living. Everyone knows this but you, apparently.

go see him live
I was at his Port Chester show on June 30th and he fucking killed it.
I was pleasantly surprised because a lot of the material he used wasn't just ideas he generated from talking to himself on the podcast.
But as other anons have said, it seems comedy has been moving to podcasting for years now if you want to just hear funny people riff on random shit.

>Real comics start in the midwest then move to the coasts when it's time to do it for a living.
I never said the best comics are from NY. But anyone who's serious about comedy will move to NY. So NY clubs are still the best way to judge the state of stand-up in the country.

Not all standup, but the majority of lower to mid level.
There is funnier shit on here.

How's that going for you?
What's your expirences?

I use to go but didn't feel like networking and being in a circle jerk. I tried, but no one wanted to share the speak easys that paid.

Naively thought being funnier than other people would yield results.
Barley had enough money to go once a week and the clubs expects you to go every weekend to every show. Kind of like being on call, idk...

I was shocked at how many repeat the same material.

That's just typical NY arrogance.

Nah. A tiny sample size is the worst way to judge the state of standup in the country.

You repeat the same material until it's perfected. That's called working out. Being funny is about 10% of any given comedy scene. If you can't find a clique and you can't agree with opinions all the time, you'll have a hard time.

Jesus dude, get that chip off your shoulder. I'm not even from NY, I'm bridge and tunnel trash. Facts are facts though.

I agree, that's why NY is the best way to judge the standup talent. There's more comedians here than anywhere else. Even if you combine the middle of the country there would still be more comedy in NY.

>There's more comedians here than anywhere else.
Citation needed

>comedy in NY
>2 alcoholic beverages mandatory
american ""comedy""

Those clubs are owned by jews, only to be expected.

Well you're not going to get one. It's an observation. No one apart from insecure mid-westerners would even contend that.

You can get a non-alcoholic drink. Did you by any chance buy a ticket from a black guy selling them at times square?

Doing the same 3 minutes for months if not years is retarded.

All american comedians are the same tbqdesu. They all talk about muh heritage, even though they're all just boring fucking yanks. I go to comedy clubs everywhere, american ones are the worst by far. Anyone with a political opinion, if you can call uneducated drivel that, calls themselves a comedian in that shithole. No wonder you lot need laughing tapes to tell you what the 'jokes' are.

You never met an actual comedian have you?

Bye, Eurocuck. Nobody likes you and your neckbeard pseudo-intellectual "comedians" that are trying and failing to emulate a purely American art form.

standhope's nihilism gets old fast, surprisingly he hasn;t OD'd yet or been diagnosed with liver cancer. But sometimes he's funny.

Patrice is the only one I still like, and Norm. I wonder though if patrice would've gone to shit had he still been alive.

>You can get a non-alcoholic drink
Yes, but it won't count for the 2 mandatory drinks. You're acting like this is rare, I've seen this in 4 different 'comedy' clubs in NY. One claimed it was a famous one.

>white people amirite?
Yeah comedy gold mate... I pity you.