Battle of the sexes

A movie based on a true match between Bobby Riggs and Billie Jean King. Starring Emma Stone and Steve Carrell. Thoughts?

youtube.com/watch?v=WMdzBwsZRX8

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=hDPK8ds1D-o
youtube.com/watch?v=4REO0pucYY8
cbssports.com/soccer/news/a-dallas-fc-under-15-boys-squad-beat-the-u-s-womens-national-team-in-a-scrimmage/
youtube.com/watch?v=QhZffJwwuKM
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I bet feminist audiences will enjoy this
Me, I'm never going to pay to see it or probably even watch it because it looks like a boring sports-drama with a terrible actor and actress

I think that Tennis is one of the most boring games to watch, so I don't think I would ever be able to enjoy watching this.

tennis and baseball are the two sports enjoyed by patricians

all other sports are pleb shit for the braindead masses

I hope she has some lesbian scenes

I can't confirm baseball but tennis is definitely an elitist sport, golf aswell

Lel, it took the number 1 women tennis player at her prime to beat a 55 year old retired man.

I'll grant you that it's elitist but that doesn't make it any less incredible to watch. Most sports are elitist to a degree. They all cost a lot of money to start playing with any seriousness. Though tennis does have an elitist image, for sure. Golf on the other hand is garbage.

Absolutely not baseball. Elite sports are:
>sailing
>road bicycle racing
>tennis
>dressage
>rowing
>rugby
>triathlon
Whether something is expensive or not does not indicate how "elite" it is, that is very vulgar, non-elite thinking.

I would not include road bicycle racing, rugby or triathlon there, I'm a pleb myself who has engaged in all of those activities, with plenty of other plebs.

Rugby is a sport at practically every public high school in the city that I'm in.

Anyway, I'll grant tennis is elitist but again that doesn't have an impact on how amazing it is to watch. Also I'm a poorfag wage slave and I play tennis.

RACE WAR NOW

lol

>Absolutely not baseball
commie fag
>dressage
and a pleb too

Rugby is THE choice of sports for english public school educated men, that one is definite.

Road bicycle racing and triathlon might be a tad middle-brow, I admit.

You forgot Fencing and pistol dueling, low class peasant. Remove thy self, your presence bores.

Yes fencing, but pistol dueling is unfortunately illegal and thus can no longer constitute a sport.

>Battle of sexes
>chose only one where woman won
In reality women top players can't even compete with men top 700.
youtube.com/watch?v=hDPK8ds1D-o

The midget from In Bruges was right this whole time.

youtube.com/watch?v=4REO0pucYY8

Cricket is infinitely superior to baseball

why do sexists always cite this as though it matters?

men are biologically equipped to be physically superior to women athletically. this is just a fact, why do you feel the need to shout about it as though you're scoring a decisive point?

Because media want to make counterpoint, with this movie for example.

You're not okay with a movie being about a historical point that did occur? Why do you give a shit if women want to see one moment when a woman did beat a man? Is that really going to offend you so much and prevent you from continuing to sperg out on the internet about how much better men are?

grow up

>complaining about me, saying i need to stop complaining
Are you a woman?

>there are people in this very thread who don't exclusively watch volleyball

She only gets more and more unattractive.

Cricket is the favorite sport of the poo-in-the-loo populations across the globe.

because there's a group of women out there called feminists who do the exact same thing but 10x worse, they take one win and blow it out of proportion like say for example this one film, there's been 3 battle of the sexes games and 2 of 3 have been won by men, like you said it's just a fact, but it's a fact that needs to be repeated to get it through these thick skulled movie producers. I'm going to tjmiller myself.

with the bad wigs this kind of seems like it should be HBO Original movie tier.

Many feminists use this example as a counter to what you said here
. I suppose power fantasies make me cringe for either sexes, while also some people just give a pass to some stupid sexist shit because it comes from the other side of the argument. Tbh, I just don't understand what the comedic standpoint could be in this scenario.

cbssports.com/soccer/news/a-dallas-fc-under-15-boys-squad-beat-the-u-s-womens-national-team-in-a-scrimmage/

>In preparation for two upcoming friendlies against Russia, the U.S. women's national team played the FC Dallas U-15 boys academy team on Sunday and fell 5-2, according to FC Dallas' official website.

The TRUE tennis kino of 2017 coming through
youtube.com/watch?v=QhZffJwwuKM

I guess

The movie just looks so shitty and silly that it really doesn't matter all that much to me. Women mostly have to listen to that other dude rave about how much better men are so I really don't think it matters if they get a crummy movie that shows them a moment when they won something.

>under-15s
now that's just embarrassing

Is this the first real tennis kino?

why are you talking about soccer in a tennis thread

This also looks like shit

The only good tennis sequence I can recall in a movie is in Hitchcock's Strangers on a Train

Oh Dawg, i hate Steve Carrell.

>Another event dubbed a "Battle of the Sexes" took place during the 1998 Australian Open[51] between Karsten Braasch and the Williams sisters. Venus and Serena Williams had claimed that they could beat any male player ranked outside the world's top 200, so Braasch, then ranked 203rd, challenged them both. Braasch was described by one journalist as "a man whose training regime centered around a pack of cigarettes and more than a couple bottles of ice cold lager".[52][53] The matches took place on court number 12 in Melbourne Park,[54] after Braasch had finished a round of golf and two beers. He first took on Serena and after leading 5–0, beat her 6–1. Venus then walked on court and again Braasch was victorious, this time winning 6–2.[55] Braasch said afterwards, "500 and above, no chance". He added that he had played like someone ranked 600th in order to keep the game "fun".[56] Braasch said the big difference was that men can chase down shots much easier, and that men put spin on the ball that the women can't handle. The Williams sisters adjusted their claim to beating men outside the top 350.

I remember watching the documentary on this. Bobby Riggs is just a troll/genius. He honestly, truly did not give a single shit how this turned out. He was out for money and knew exactly how to drum up the best sales and money and exposure. He knew this would trigger Billie Jean King especially and he did everything he could to generate worldwide media attention in it. He also massively increased the visibility and popularity of tennis because of it. Bobby Riggs was a hero.

To be honest it's more an expert showcase of shameless self promotion and hype generation than it is a "battle of the sexes". I don't see what the movie will achieve. It looks bad too. The documentary was great.

The actual match up was boring. I don't see how this won't be boring too, but a foolish movie goer and his money are soon parted.

There's something odd about the colors I can't quite pick, Emma Stone's skin from that screenshot looks more pink than usual.

You're crazy, it looks like top sportskino and its arguably the greatest rivalry in sports history.

nah, it's golf, tennis and horse racing
baseball is fucking plebean garbage

That Emma dyke look is hawt.

>WHY DON'T YOU THINK SERENA WILLIAMS WOULD BE BEST IN THE WORLD WTF YOU SEXIST
>Alright no worries, let's just remove the whole "mens and womens" divisions and just make it "tennis"
>NO YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY SEXIST

I'm buying this guy's book now

>not Fed vs Nadal

I also liked:
APOLOGIZE!
... No.

1998: Karsten Braasch vs. the Williams sisters

Venus and Serena Williams had claimed that they could beat any male player ranked outside the world's top 200, so Braasch, then ranked 203rd, challenged them both. Braasch was described by one journalist as "a man whose training regime centered around a pack of cigarettes and more than a couple bottles of ice cold lager". The matches took place on court number 12 in Melbourne Park, after Braasch had finished a round of golf and two beers. He first took on Serena and after leading 5–0, beat her 6–1. Venus then walked on court and again Braasch was victorious, this time winning 6–2. Braasch said afterwards, "500 and above, no chance". He added that he had played like someone ranked 600th in order to keep the game "fun". Braasch said the big difference was that men can chase down shots much easier, and that men put spin on the ball that the women can't handle. The Williams sisters adjusted their claim to beating men outside the top 350.

Well, the under-10s would be too easy.

see

>even the silverback sisters can't win against a beer'd up man
kek

They should make a movie about me crushing a a bunch of 9 year olds in a park pickup game of soccer.

Coming this fall:
>Respect your elders

It's basically the same thing. 55 year old fat man vs active pro player at 29.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if they lost that too

Womens Tennis is literally decades behind the mens game. It's not just power and speed. They have less technical ability. Their players are all far less skilled and a lot of that has to do with the fact they all play poorer opposition because they are all lower quality. It's literally why Serena can btfo out of all of them besides her power and speed. Fuck Serena is the only woman on the planet who has figured out how to serve correctly.

obviously better players, but you're fucking crazy if you think the personalities and their dynamic has anything on Borg-McEnroe

That's a story with a great potential for a /ss/ hentai.

>hentai

>implying they weren't soaking from being so thoroughly dominated in real life

What a fucking coward.
>How can you say that!
>You like Tennis Charlie, where would you rank Serena
>She seems strong
>Just pick any number
>W-well here's what she had to say

Fuck off

would you have any idea where I could watch some of their classic matches? Borg-McEnroe I mean

i don't understand why women cling to this, it's embarrassing. It's like drugging up Stephen Hawking so he can barely think and then beating him in an IQ test, then proclaiming your better or 'equal'

truly pathetic. wonder why they won't make a movie about the best women's soccer team in the world being beaten by 17 year old boys who never go anywhere in the game, or something similar. Femininity is so fucking fragile

Not the same. You are part of the problem

how old is the woman in the movie supposed to be? because it looks like they are trying to make a girl in her mid 20s play a woman in her mid 40s

It's a feminist tale and a parody of Trump at the same time

Billie Jean King was 29, and at her peak. Bobby Riggs was 55, and obviously out of shape.

Still, I think it's going to be a great movie

No.

Why?

didn't she play his daughter in a previous movie?

Yeah she did, in Crazy Stupid Love

I'm really hyped for this. For the first time in a long while I'm hyped for a new movie.
Also Steve Carell is alright but Emma Stone can't act. She's playing the same character as in La La Land.

Whats this meme that Emma Stone cant act? I have liked her in pretty much every movie ever

I like her too but she acts like all of her characters are the same character. There's nothing special about the way she acts, she's just quirky and cute and her face is kind of unique.

>faggy sports British and French people play
>elite

Really? Look at how she acted in Niceville, or in Zombieland, completly different charachters, she even had a different accent for Niceville. She is making shooting in London right now aswell and will have to use a British accent

Will any sport ever surpass Tennis?

He literally lost on purpose to settle some gambling debts but they will still try and spin it into some story about how women rule and men suck.

Tennis is not even the best racket sport. Try badminton.

Badminton is a pleb-tier sport

>This also looks like shit
At least it's about an actual rivalry (you know, a thing that drives sports) and not about some feminist wet dream

Badminton and ping pong are the Asian versions of tennis where agility > strength

>no polo

Don't you think women will find a lot of rivarly in this movie aswell? I think this movie will be a hit because so many women will relate

True

Emma Stone is repulsive.

Why?

Because of the herpes.

I think she's cute af mate

>when a woman did beat a man?
>implying

Emma Stone can beat me all day and kick my nuts like soccer ball desu

Shut up uneducated faggot.
Lol no, badminton requires both strength and explosivity. Obviously you need good coordination to move around the court as you wish, but you need to overpower your opponent. Tennis is just muh top spin xd

>cycling

patrician taste confirmed

I was hoping this would be asskino but this bitch won't even show her ass, why the fuck did she do all those squats for

Just imagine being able to have a 3 way between her and Julianne Moore.

>not Julianne Moore and her daughter

Don't think Julianne Moore is that attractive

Gay

>Julianne Moore
>that terrible skin

'no'