Let's have a Jack Kirby thread in honor of what would have been his 99th birthday...

Let's have a Jack Kirby thread in honor of what would have been his 99th birthday, and celebrate over sixty years of him working in comics and cartoons. Post your favorite Jack Kirby creations and obscure Kirby facts/trivia here.

You can find out about Kirby's comic career before Captain America: kirbymuseum.org/blogs/simonandkirby/archives/category/serial-posts/early-jack-kirby

Brief biography and (incomplete) bibliography: comicbookdb.com/creator.php?ID=100

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/7G6B_vPCYsM
tcj.com/jack-kirby-interview/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I love that WW2 story of his.
>what are you?
>uh, cartoonist
>so, you're artist, eh?
>y-yes
>congratulations, you just got yourself promoted to scouts

Also, Kirby Monsters variant month was rad.

And I'll never figure why did he made Jimmy Olsen so important.

Thanks for all the goodness.

I still am amazing by Kirby art. Seeing a Kirby page for the first time, it's fantastic. Dude is he King and most deservedly. One of the most important cultural figures of the 20th century.

the legend is he didn't want anyone to get fired when he came to DC so they gave him Jimmy Olsen's book that was about to get canceled.

"Friends".

Right.

Anyone read Genesis or it was only me? Iirc, book used characters and designs that never got on pages of Big 2 comics.
And Kirby looked like Jay Baruchel.
>the legend is he didn't want anyone to get fired when he came to DC so they gave him Jimmy Olsen's book that was about to get canceled.
What a bro.

>no one will realize Sup Forums's vision of Hank Pym using Pym Particles to shrink them and use them like Pokemon on SCIENCE adventures.

The best helmets in the biz.

>Build-A-Waifu

I think the only headgear Kirby did that didn't work for me was Scarlet Witch's.

also these Eternals pages look fucking FIRE even though their rep is lesser New Gods

Evanier claims it was because he didn't want to push other talents off books they wanted to do. Nobody really wanted to be on Olsen, so he picked that one. Also an element of showing off, claiming he could make it sell like gangbusters.

We're dumb board, but when we have good idea, oh boy.

Spot Whitman's waifu.
It's terrible pairing and I'll ship it forever.

Words just cannot do his art justice.

I love the King.
I can't pick a favorite.

New Gods are My Gods.

>hey we need some fake concept art for a movie
>I know a guy

A Kirby theme park would be the raddest shit

>tfw they didn't actually make the movie
fools

Companion piece

Is there a Kirby + Famous People blog? that would be fun

Kirby's Wondy makes me feel funny

>Hey Jack, what're you drawing today?
>God.
>Awesome, keep up the good work!

Reminder this character is a Darkseid ripoff

oh christ. the pun just hit me

This pin tho

The T on the belt really makes it

remember when Jack co-invented romance comics

>Man, you know what would be great for our college Julius Caesar play? Some really wild costumes!
>I know a guy.

>You read?!
kek

Who is ready -- for some "FOOT-BALL"?!

>tfw no recordings of the play

man how amazing would kirby adapting Shakespeare be

we should talk about the (great!) trend of Kirby putting his worst bad guys in skirts

Can't wait for Kamandi month.

Fucking bear mode Uatu

Yeah, there are a few small pics going around, but not much else. Personally, I'm dying to know how this supreme badass translated to real life.

If mods don't sticky this then what's the point of a comics board?

Does anybody else prefer his uninked pencils to the final art?

Man I don't even know what's going on here.

I know it's obvious but it's crazy how many amazing characters he pumped out. Like ignoring the rest of the New Gods, Barda and Scott are AMAZING characters.

the camo is amazing

>Alright Jack, so Richard Dragon and Ben Turner are hanging out at the O-Sensei's place.
>Right.
>So lots of asian decor, Buddha statues, that kinda stuff.
>Right, Buddha. Got it.

I gotta go, so I leave you with The Thing and Mr Miracle about to go stop a super villain and/or miami drug runners.

Hope the Kirby thread/threads go all day

Yeah when is the Kamandi Rebirth book coming out? I haven't heard any news on it in ages, but it sounds fantastic.

Sometimes, especially when inkers just use flat solid colors

i love how in The Demon Blood is a demonologist so Kirby can fill his apartment with the wildest shit

I'm saving this for a draw thread...

It's worth noting that the play was made in 1969, so Kirby was making a very deliberate choice with the camo, I think.

I wish I could live in a Kirby Room. Or at least stay in one for a night.

We know shit, just that it'll happen.

There's a list of creative teams at least

I thought this stuff was late 70s for some reason, daaaaaamn. now i gotta reread Julius Caesar with that in mind

>nix on swastikas (rome was still a republic)

what a note

I never considered that Pym could legitimately make poke balls and Oak's storage systeman actual thing.

Did anything ever come of Heavy Metal publishing the story using Kirby's concepts?

Is that Paul?

And they all look decent, thank god.
This?

Yeah and Linda.

It's mindblowing how he created so many lasting characters

I'll never get over this guy's style. The wonderfully weird, asymmetrical gadgets, the blocky shadowing that almost makes everything look like a printed circuit board, the stocky solidity of every figure -- for me, this will always be what sequential art is all about. Maybe it's just because I read so much of Kirby's stuff when I was a kid, but his work never ceases to excite my imagination.

>we'll never see New Gods punch Nazi gorillas

Picking a favorite villain design is so hard. MODOK, Armin Zola, Mantis, The Mole Man, they're all so good

Forgot image

>tfw universal marvel is shit

Of course this wont get a sticky. Only important things get a sticky on Sup Forums, like Snyder's Batman.

At least there was a Kirby cameo in the movie about it.

I love that story and the BP team up right after.

Cheers, Jackie boy. Thanks for giving us decades of fantastic material to both entertain and inspire.

The Marvel Monsters are so underused.

Dan Funeral Original broadcast with Marvel characters youtu.be/7G6B_vPCYsM

>implying anything comics related gets stickies nowadays
user, this is a Sup Forums subboard nowadays. Just be happy we're even allowed to make comic threads.

Right in the feels.
>tfw Rebirth thread saged three times before we got sticky

...wait what?

I work out in the hopes that one day I'll look like a Kirby character

In the mid-eighties, DC Comics tried a bizarre experiment known as the DC Challenge, a story told by twelve different creative teams over twelve comics, with the catch being that each issue would end on a cliffhanger that the next team would have to get themselves out of. Announced at Emerald City Comic Con, DC is reviving the series in the form of Kamandi Challenge, thirteen creative teams over twelve issues telling one complete story with the classic Jack Kirby character, Kamandi: The Last Boy On Earth.
The original DC Challenge featured the likes of Elliot S! Maggin, Mike W. Barr, Dave Gibbons, Gene Colan and so many more legendary creators. and featured the additional caveat that they could use any DC Comics characters, except ones they were currently working with elsewhere. The series culminated in a jam-packed final issue which was divided among six of the previous creative teams.
The full list of creative teams, via CBR, is
Dan Abnett & Dale Eaglesham
Peter J. Tomasi & Neal Adams
Amanda Conner & Jimmy Palmiotti
James Tynion IV & Carlos D’Anda
Bill Willingham & Ivan Reis
Steve Orlando & Philip Tan
Marguerite Bennett & Dan Jurgens
Keith Giffen & Steve Rude
Tom King & Kevin Eastman
Greg Pak & Joe Prado
Rob Williams & Walter Simonson
Gail Simone & Ryan Sook
Len Wein & José Luis García-López.

Here's another photo with Frank Zappa.

tcj.com/jack-kirby-interview/

Gary Groth (co-founder of Fantagraphics, EIC of The Comics Journal)'s famous interview with Kirby in 1990.

>Stan Lee and I never collaborated on anything! I’ve never seen Stan Lee write anything. I used to write the stories just like I always did.

>It wasn’t possible for a man like Stan Lee to come up with new things — or old things for that matter. Stan Lee wasn’t a guy that read or that told stories. Stan Lee was a guy that knew where the papers were or who was coming to visit that day. Stan Lee is essentially an office worker, OK? I’m essentially something else: I’m a storyteller.

>The romance genre was all around us. There was love story pulps, and there was love story sections in the newspapers. There was love stories in the movies. Wherever you went there was love stories! That’s how we got our new material, and it suddenly struck me that that’s what we haven’t done. We haven’t done any romance stories! There it was right in front of our eyes hanging from the newsstand. A love story! A romance story! So Joe and I sat down one night and came up with the title. Young Romance, and Young Romance sold out.

This can't die yet.

This needs to be a sticky

What is your favorite Kirby character? story? page?

Why?

This is a strong contender for my favorite single issue he did

Do you have any more like this? Images that would be suitable for wallpaper?

Nice

Sure, why not.

Thanks