I just finished watching this

I just finished watching this.

This show made me feel like shit, so why do i love it so much?

Because you're a pretentious, shallow little shit who thinks that because something is sad that means it's good, and like to think that means you're smart for liking it.

yeah probably.

ebin

>hurr I'm a white 20-something who has lived a somewhat comfortable life in the suburbs my entire existence, this show about a generic washed-up celebrity archetype totally relates to me

Please seek sunlight for the love of christ

It's pretty convenient that "accurate portrayal of depression" and "bad writing" go perfectly hand in hand.
Things happen, then back to the status quo and nothing mattered.

Do you feel that the show ever does anything other than repeatedly show and state ad nauseam "THIS CHARACTER SURE IS DEPRESSED!"

You know those two faces of theater? Comedy and Tragedy? They're essentially the two most engaging aspects of any drama, and some would say the two most defining qualities of real life. Usually because they are so intertwined.

Bojack Horseman is a very well put together Tragedy, and may well rank with some of the Greek Tragedies once it has gone through it whole run. And I mean that.

I don't have a book report ready delve through the ins and outs of what makes it so good, and unfortunately I don't have the time to write one here and now, but it's got all the stuff that made the Greeks great.

And there's still a chance for incest

All those stupid fucking morons across the internet tweeting and blogging over and over that OMG I'M ALSO NOT HAPPY 100% OF THE TIME BOJACK IS LITERALLY ME completely fucking killed any possibility of discussing the show here worse than the shitposters.

fuck off carter.

>Do you feel that the show ever does anything other than repeatedly show and state ad nauseam "THIS CHARACTER SURE IS DEPRESSED!"
It's illustrating a downward spiral that is, for all intents and purposes at the end of S3, completely fueled by self sabotage. If you watched the show, you'd see that it's been developing in a manner that BoJack's """depression""" isn't an excuse for being a consistently awful fucking person to those who are trying their sincere best to support you.

Everyone in the show deals with their own issues in their own ways. Except the ways in which BoJack deals with his personal issues makes him a bad person. Not irredeemable, but at this point in the narrative, far from a decent human being.

BoJack is not meant to be an empathetic character, but rather a sympathetic one, and one of the show's driving forces is how far sympathy can be justified. Well, that's how it was written, in a sense that those who actually have to interact with BoJack, and how their limits of sympathy are pushed. The audience is meant to feel empathy for their situation. However, since the majority of any audience is dense and narcissistic, people self-insert as the given protagonist, and go to crazy lengths to justify BoJack's objectively shitty behavior and attitude.

projecting

projecting

Yeah

To get a gauge on how meaningful your appraisal is, how many Greek tragedies have you read?

I feel like it illustrates the downward spiral perfectly with episode 1.
Then with episode 2.
And then again and again, identical to itself, ad nauseam, several times, for three full seasons, apparently.

I stopped watching after season 2.
I know already that if I tune in for season 7 the plot will be at the same exact point.

And after the season finale of season 18, when the sad music plays, I will be saying "BOY, THIS CHARACTER SURE IS DEPRESSED!"

And that'll be all the show has taught me and given me save for occasional chuckles.

I thought nobody but Sup Forums watched depressed horseman show

Yeah people relating to a drama are WAY worse than you faggots foaming at the mouth because someone LIKES a drama.

I'm actually just finishing episode 10. Holy fuck man

>illustrates the downward spiral perfectly
>perfectly
It doesn't though. Sure, it conveys that a spiral is occurring, but BoJack's actions have gotten more selfish, his justifications thinner, and the way he treats those close to him much worse.

Compare S1 BoJack, leading along and begging for Princess Carolyn's attention at the same time, when in S3 he abandons her at her most vulnerable and honest, even after all she did for him in that one night, nevermind everyday since they met.

Plot has very little to do with what makes the show compelling, when it's all about the narrative developments and character interactions.

>I will be saying "BOY, THIS CHARACTER SURE IS DEPRESSED!"
>And that'll be all the show has taught me and given me save for occasional chuckles.
That's on you, since that isn't what the show is trying to say in anyway beyond the most surface level, plot-focused interpretation.

>when the sad music plays
Avant Gardener isn't even sad though, unless you just read the lyrics at face value.

Why didn't he just be a better role model to the new child actor instead of running away? What was with the horses at the end?

BoJack is a fantastic show and I would love to talk about it on the internet.

That's impossible because people like you who actually "relate" to the middle-aged multi-millionaire, nationally known and beloved actor, and that's the only fucking thing you talk about. How BoJack is sad, and how you're sad, so you and BoJack are the same, and that somehow makes BoJack a great show in your eyes. So then these other faggots shitpost about how "everyone" who enjoys the show is only interested in how BoJack relates to them personally. While that's objectively wrong, it's your, and others like you, fault that these shitters have a reason to post in the first place.

Relatable characters tend to be a crutch for shit storytelling, which is why BoJack is written to be as unrelatable as possible, especially as the series as progressed. You are meant to SYMPATHIZE for the guy who purposefully fucked up his friend's dream and hard-work for fear of that friend leaving the house the guy implies he didn't want at the first place. You are meant to EMPATHIZE with the guy who's dream got fucked over.

That's S1, wherein shit wasn't even that bad, and mostly related to mistakes BoJack made in the past, instead of mistakes he actively makes now. If you can still relate to S3 BoJack, I wouldn't want to ever interact with you in real life.

I don't know why that should matter. Just because someone annoying like the same thing as you doesn't stop you from discussing it.

The people who openly say they relate because they're unhappy and are so depressed are, more than likely, anything but. Depressed people don't talk about it.

I can't relate to S3 Bojack.
If I knew no one would miss me when I'm gone, I would have actually killed myself as I have foreshadowed.

Sometimes pain can be good for you.

It's better than being a pretentious shallow little shit who thinks if he hates on things other people like that somehow makes him "better" and "superior" even though he either secretly likes it as well, or simply has no taste whatsoever.

I like the things you're saying. Coming in here I was kind of cringing because of how people were trying so hard to be contrary against the show despite its ubiquitous acclaim, even among critics who weren't that personally invested.

It is pretty difficult to talk about though because the conversation stagnates by people relating to isolated moments of misery. Many shows don't portray depression or self-sabotage in a realistic way or a way that is not ennobled so the moment we get Bojack, lots of people latch on to it. And many things he does and says are relatable in a general existential sense, where most people can relate to. It's not special to have had felt depressed or aimless or even have had selfish actions push people away.

But Bojack as a whole, and all of the things he does, is such a shitty person and character that I don't know how people can find him relatable. Aspects of his condition are, but that's also the condition of the show in general. I'd hope most people would not make the mistakes he makes because it is not sympathetic at all.

>fat Mexican-Canadian fuck is now invading Sup Forums
We'll never get rid of him will we.

It's not really just a portrait of depression though. It's a portrait of rationalizations, justifications, the cycles and habits that are the foundation of a lot of interpersonal relationships, what drives people in their attempts to connect with each other and so on. Depression is as much of an aspect of Bojack's character as hedonism, escapism, narcissism, grandiose delusions, and a bunch of other aspects of his life that he probably blames on his depression. There's also the fact that the show is very careful in its animal motifs they use, especially for Bojack, which is yet again a pivotal aspect of his character more so than depression by the end of season 3.