Why does typical western stuff go out of its way to make male villains look ugly or comical...

Why does typical western stuff go out of its way to make male villains look ugly or comical? Why can't they do like anime and make the male villain be beautiful?

>inb4 hurr ATLA
ATLA is inspired by anime, retards.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wNlpuD42_BM
youtu.be/1muOeJ4fBps?t=2m51s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wen_and_wu
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Stockholm syndrome

It does seem kind of odd actually that western Christian/Jewish influenced culture doesn't make evil appear more appealing and seductive, given that it's represented as being so (and therefore something you need to resist the temptation of) in the holy texts of those religions. If evil was so obviously evil that it always wears black and looks ugly, it wouldn't be difficult to recognise or fight.

Hacks, I guess OP.

>give me an example of X
>but not X example because if I point it out first then it stops being a hole in my logic

you're a faggot, saged, naruto is shit, go back to Sup Forums

>Selene The Black Queen
>Ras
>Shaw from Hellfire Club
>Poison Ivy
>Deadshot
>Deathstroke
>Gaston
Maybe try and read some wester comics, or watch some western cartoons that aren't inspired by anime before making such a shit thread OP

What about it? Are you some sjw who screams stockholm syndrome at everything?

Well shit

The entire message behind the Hunchback of Notre Dame was that Frollo was actually more monstrous than the deformed hero was, and DC's and Marvel's stuff has plenty of attractive villains. Livewire, Killer Frost, Poison Ivy, Magneto, Pietro, and despite being bald, Lex is stacked like Batman and is seen as highly desirable.

This image has never been more appropriate, considering Adam is usually a delivishly handsome son of a bitch.

In cartoons...Xanatos from Gargoyles wasn't ugly, Jack Spicer wasn't ugly...I don't know if I'd say Slade from Teen Titans was ugly or Red X, you just couldn't see their faces...I feel like you're mostly thinking of Disney film bad guys, but Hans from Frozen wasn't ugly...I feel like even that trend is kind of out of date.

Most of those are women.
>Gaston
Ugly.
>Deadshot
I'm not into black guys.

>Deadshot
>Black
I wish Sup Forums would leave

>I'm not into black guys

Hitting too close to home

>Gaston
>Ugly
Shit Taste Confirmed

youtube.com/watch?v=wNlpuD42_BM

>me
>not fucking glorious
Whatever you say, Sup Forums.

What? He's geometrically perfect, just look at those angles and equilateral sides. That's some good math right there. Symmetry is beautiful.

The bishonen look is less popular in the West, and characters with that aesthetic are too often seen as "faggy" regardless of their sexuality.

>Frollo
Creepy old man
>thread is about men
>lists women
>Lex is considered attractive
A fat bald man? Sure that's attractive for fat bald men fetishists, but I said beautiful. As in anime beautiful. Western characters have jaws/chins too wide and squared to be anime beautiful.

>Xanatos
>villain

What are you talking about user, superman is handsome

Shit post. Sage and reported. Anime characters aren't beautiful any more, they have disgusting bug eyes and disgusting blue hair.

They were pretty bishie honestly.

>Madara
The Uchihas are not villains, they're just genetically predisposed to be whiny faggots that can't deal with loss.

I'm not even kidding.

>Western characters have jaws/chins too wide and squared to be anime beautiful.
>to be anime beautiful
>anime beautiful
>beautiful
There's your problem. You want Male Villains to be beautiful. Instead of "attractive", which includes "Handsome". Which is square jaws and the like

Ugly people never win.

It's realistic.

Tell that to the Jews

That was a joke

Better than having literally every male villain either be ludicrously gonk or the exact same looking pretty guy

This might have something to do with the church and its ideas on visual story telling early on.

Back during the Renaissance, the quality of art improved immensely, but their were still contextual and cultural barriers that controlled the look of certain paintings. Madonna and child early on was always depicted as a pious and stern woman with a small man-like child sitting neatly on her knee. The idea was Jesus was born perfect and unchanging so to depict that they drew him like a small adult. I don't believe the common consensus was that baby Jesus was a small man, but that was the culturally acceptable depiction of him for quite a while.

Same was true for depiction of evil. Not to draw them looking seductive, but horrifying to get your point across. This was important to the church due to lack of education and literacy. Even more important was visually symbolic representation of unknown spiritual ideas, which you can see even today in religious imagery, (such as how angels or miracles look).

>Why can't they do like anime and make the male villain be beautiful?
>male villains
>beautiful

Yeah, bishounen pretty boys aren't a thing in America. If anything, we get grizzled manly men.

I would not say theres an excess of ugly ones but yeah its a little odd how many more attractive females there are compared to attractive males

>Rourke will never punch you and step on your family photos

I suffer endlessly

Okay, I've read like several Yaoi and Hentai. Let me tell you. both have it. In droves. I'm not talking about he was kind of forceful pressed me rape. I mean like actual rape that leads to love. You think that shit's bad in hentai it's worse in yaoi. Hentai does it for sex not romance. Yaoi focuses on a Stockholm syndrome as if it was a fucking subgenre of romance.

Its pretty shit but gay media is so shit I subject myself to it to find something decent. The only thing almost as bad as that is, I wasn't gay before I met you. FUCK THAT SHIT. It's literally the staple of yaoi and it's disgusting. Females in japan have a worse outlook than guys do.

MOJO jo jo is cute!

Lex don't you have better things to do than shitpost on the internet?

Shitposting about his waifu no less.

>the bishonen look is less popular in the west
Sure that's why anime and manga are more popular in europe and modern western cartoons have started adopting it too

yaoi came about as a way for jap women to come to terms with and delude themself into being okay with arranged marriages they were powerless to decline

It's pretty typical in anime to make the villain unappealing or so the person watching knows they're the bad guy. The only time I've seen that example really is Griffith from Berserk

Fuckin Griffith

That makes much more sense now.

he's so bad but he does it so well~

Western audiences don't have suppressed faglust

10/10 post

ANONYMOUS VS MODERATOR

I don't get it, explain please.

Has it ever occured to you women write that because women like that?
And it's not just japanese women. See: 50 Shades of Grey, Starfighter.

I dunno, it's not like femdomme-y female villains don't exist in droves.

I read somewhere once that being dominated was one of the biggest fantasies for both males and females and that it's a lazy fantasy about someone else doing all the work, because people are lazy.

Also that most people in general fantasize about both at times.

In a lot of Hentai I've read I don't know if I'd call it "romance" but it's common enough for the girl getting raped into ahego to stay with her captor forever as a happy pregnant sex slave so it's not much different.

but stockholm syndrome is true love

Quads spoke, he wants an explenation.

That's my point. It's just a sexual fantasy in hentai it's a romance plot in yaoi. In my opinion that makes it a million more times creepy.

>starfighter
Thanks for reminding me about that piece of shit.

holy cow

I'd Stockholm for Lord Dom.

It's a sexual fantasy for women too. Broadly speaking, women see sex differently from men and want commitment with it.

Why does typical eastern stuff suck?
Why can't they do it like westerners and make things that are good?

>Inb4 hurr Akira
Akira was based off that time we nuked Japan and gave them a culture wide case of PSTD, retard.

Well, there's Hans from Frozen, but it's part of the twist so I guess it doesn't count.

There's one genre where even Western depictions have abundant beautiful, "evil" people and that's sitcoms/slice of life, especially in highschool settings. Because the popular, attractive kid who's a bitch/a douchebag has been a reused stereotype for decades.

But even then, they're always depicted as ultimately uncool, whereas if a Western work is gonna have a cool villain, they're more likely to come up with Darth Vader than with a pretty boy.

>Ra's Al Ghul
>not ugly
At least say Vandal Savage. I'd fuck that hunk of a man, and I'm not even gay.

How come anime rarely has heroes or even villains with facial hair? Are japs afraid of masculinity?

>OP BTFO
>"no i meant they have to look like girls"
>/thread

it is because the west does not hate men and thinks masculinity can be aesthetic, and you're a sissy that doesn't agree in the slightest

>Japanese people
>Having facial hair

Sure there are a few exceptions, but by and large, Japanese men have about as much facial hair at 40 as they do 4.

Yeah and it sucks shit. I'm glad for western women like the author of Starfighter finally writing what they like without misogynists harassing them for creating fiction they enjoy.

>wanting a neanderthal instead of a distinguished gentleman
Pleb taste user, Savage would wreck your boipussy, sure, but Ra's probably knows ways to pleasure the body that Savage couldn't dream of.

That was a surprisingly interesting and informative reply, thanks user.

>and make the male villain be beautiful?
OP please go be a fujoshit on your own board.

Commitment and feelings. Hence the romance.

Don't forget black adam

>Reddit Savage

Not a chance, Ra's is way better

Of course a western cartoon character won't be "anime beautiful".

You don't live for thousands of years without picking up a few tricks, Sup Forumsmrade.

>The only time I've seen that example really is Griffith from Berserk

What about Shin from Hokuto no Ken? Or Millions Knives, or even Vegeta? Sure they didn't have fuccboi faces, but they weren't uglier than the protagonist.

> deadshot
> black
WEW. Fucking casual, leave.

I like anime but how cone whenever someone posts a non Sup Forums related image on Sup Forums despite it being an Sup Forums related topic, all hell breaks loose.
Also you're a faggot for thinking he's attractive. I just thought he was cool and that was it.

>all entry level shit

Yeah, why don't you name some good anime for a change to prove your point.

>Berserk
>not entry level

But what about the second one?

Most people are ugly by the standards of western media.

This guy knows his shit. Contrast how the church insisted on depicting the angels as beautiful and ethereal even though many of them are described as surreal eldritch horrors in the Bible, whereas church people had a borderline aneurysm when they saw the Lucifer of Liège (commonly known as the Hot Lucifer Statue) even though Lucifer IS supposed to be breathtakingly beautiful.

tl;dr the evil = ugly, good = beautiful is a Christian thing.

youtu.be/1muOeJ4fBps?t=2m51s

even the evil puppets are handsome as hell

faggot idea and pleb OP

But Sup Forums hates naruto, user

Well japs dont hate men but we do have nowdays too much beta faggot MC.

Are you sure? Because most of time it just few autists doing that.

old euro style story telling. good people are good looking and ugly people are evil. + in propaganda the other side is made comical or ugly (they don't to comical too often because that makes people less likely to keep their guard up) Hawk Moth is hot.prince phobos is hot. The Choten is hot. west has hot antagonist too

FOR WHO COULD EVER LOVE .... A MONSTA

Female villains are usually portrayed as attractive, with some notable exceptions.

This user is correct, a lot of Yaoi is so obsessive about its sub/dom that it blossoms from Stockholm Syndrome.

That's just the kind of stuff that happens when you write a romance for your fetishes instead of the drama.

OP is a faggot in the most biblical sense. As already explained by , bad guys are needed, from the dawn of time, to be singled out of a crowd as the most mischievous and villaineous.
Greeks associated beauty and handsomeness with virtue because it was closer to the gods, and an-almost fenotypical manifestation of virtue itself. I am virtuous, so it reflects on my appearance. The same is true for the opposite: the more malignant I am, the more my vices corrupt my features like a monster. In very old situations, sometimes the bad guy was a monster itself. Most myths work like this, and sometimes even real life, like in OP's case.

The reason for handsome evil guys in japanese media might be also due to the fact that you should seek a final, honorable enemy to slay in honorable combat. The more god-like the enemy, the more honor to you. An ugly, evil creature with no honor would be dispatched like a beast, not an enemy.

>Daughter must marry this stranger for honor and wealth
>Daughter is sad as fuck and cries about th world being unfair
>Daughter or someone else imagines a situation in which men can get buttfucked by guys and life in general just as much as girls
>Stress and frustration levels lower as girls masturbate to male-on-male action, thinking that either it's a shared punishment, or a shared experience of life, depending on the outlook

Because cartoons and comics are a male thing while women have been influential on anime since the start. Also the wen and wu dychotomy

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wen_and_wu