Has anyone noticed that Korra seemed to be a bit...off

Has anyone noticed that Korra seemed to be a bit...off.

I dont mean just the quality though that was spotty I mean the overall narrative purpsoe and tone.

ATLA was this classic Star Wars heroic journey quest style show but ti seemed Korra as a show was meant as an Alan Moore style decontrtcion of ATLA but with none of the actual commentray. So you get this bizaare series where the heroes constaly make morally sketchy and questiobale chocies, the villians are shown as gray,s ociety in general is corrupt and full of alterior motives but everyoen still treats it black and white. The whole show seems like something made as a dark satire of the very premise of avatar but played straight.

Look at Korra, someone who ,unlike Aaang was raised as an avatar in a time of peace and so doesnt just want her role as avatar but REVELS in it, to the popint where she is stunted in growth in almoste very other aspect and has eevre psycholgcial issues dealing with the responsibility of it. You swap out Aang's mostly clear fighta gainst the evil empire with Korra struggling with complex social and geopolitical issues and she is constantly failing to deal with the total mess the world is.

All the "bad guys" have serious points and the various structures they are fighting (URN's pro bender bias, secularism and sectraianism in the water tribes, the Earth Kingdom being totally fucked up) arent the kind of problems you can punch. Which is funny because thats what Korra is best at. She is hotheaded and violent and has tried to kill or threaten to kill a bunch of people.

The "Team Avatar" of this era isnt the bffs forever of atla but a messy loose assortment of young adults with all the glaring vulnerabilities and inter-social issues that entails.

Even the "OGs" are shown in a new light, Toph's "dont give a fuck" attitude that was played up as endearing in ATLA is shown to bordered on neglect and seriously fucked up her kids, Aang's pressure to continue the Air Benders fostered an obsessed neurotic son who tanked his relationship and damn nearhad a breakdown because of the air nomad obsession raised into him and two resentful older siblings.

Multiple times the "good guys" are taking outright villainous actions, peaking when Korra tried to ASK the Fire Nation to attack the water tribes (which was a fun inversion of atla) or the attented coup Team Avatr plotted to start a world war, or when Korra tried to assassinate a seemingly unarmed head of state, or season 4 when they went full '50s Iran and tried to prop a monarch puppet fo western powers over a populist native regime formed in the powergap of a terrorist uprising an Arab winter tier anarchy.

Lets not get started on Suyin.

All these solid ideas on an exploration and breakdown of the kind of genre work they did in ATLA but it just falls apart into a messy slop. Back to my original analogy its like Alan Moore being filtered through Bob Haney. Shit is just ...off.

>URN's pro bender bias,
What? It isn't show any.

Hell, on Aang's time at least half of the council was composed of non benders.

One of the reasons Korra failed is that despite having even less episodes than TLA, it tried to cram quadruple the narrative. It lacked a clear subject all just to avoid "filler".

Filler episodes were not really that bad in the original series. Sure, "The Great Divide" was terrible & "The Painted Lady" was a distraction both in- & out-of-universe, but ones like "The King of Omashu" & "Avatar Day" were quite entertaining.

The obvious problem is that the writing backs out whenever it was time to commit. Amon was 'just a fraud', the guy from season 2 became the literal spirit of evil, Zaheer was made into a cruel torturer and his ideology left vague... I didn't see season four but I assume something similiar occurred there.

>Zaheer
He is basically a normal anarchist, they are that stupid anyway. They tried to attack and kill almost every president or Monarch on the beggining of the last century with terrorist tactics. Its not so different.

It was early romance that screwed it over, in my opinion, it was too heavy and forced in the beginning two seasons taking up screen time when we could have been watching something more interesting.

This, everything with the potential to become interesting spectacularly failed to do so.

One of its weakness is the whole concept dont really mesh well with technological advancement, cyberpunk was cool and all but it doesnt fit well with the tone.

the only way I could see the series go is if they make the Avatar the villain this time, so they can showcase how a revved up avatar fuck shit up and why you really shouldnt fuck with him.

and in that note, the protagonists are one of each element, and with this you can showcase how the elements blend together, how fire and water combo mixes.

The thing is, whats next to korra story wise is technological advancement closer to us, and the only way that would work is if the villain avatar removed bending from the world and allowed it to progress on its own, and decide to sleep on the moon because he has a god complex and all, then the series begins when the first astronauts took their first step on the moon, waking the avatar in the process, coming back to the world that forgotten him.

or

an Avatar-less Avatar with young Iroh and siege of ba sing se

Avatar told a very basic story, so it could take detours with characters and locales without taking much away from the overall plot. They could pretty much do whatever they wanted as long as Aang took down the Fire Lord at the end, and that's why the show worked so well.

Korra is more ambitious than Avatar in just about every way, and falls flat on its fucking face. It's clear that Bryke have no idea how to tell a story with any level of depth or nuance. They were in over their heads attempting something like Legend of Korra, and their shortcomings as storytellers became very, very obvious.

Stick to kids shows, guys.

The main problem I've got so far after finishing the first season was how the romances were handled, the villains and how easy it is to bend the elements. I mean lightning bending was supposed to be super hard, even Zuko couldn't do it and blood bending was a feat only possible when there is the full moon but people are doing it like it's nothing.

That was a problem that stemmed from the creative team being unsure they'd get another season every time. So they wrote each one as sort of standalone with a season finale that could also be a series finale if needs be without much buildup from previous seasons.

>One of its weakness is the whole concept dont really mesh well with technological advancement, cyberpunk was cool and all but it doesnt fit well with the tone.

It was Diesepunk, not cyberpunk, fucking casual.

>the only way I could see the series go is if they make the Avatar the villain this time, so they can showcase how a revved up avatar fuck shit up and why you really shouldnt fuck with him.

I dont know why Sup Forums has such a boner for this idea, it is retarded by principle, the Avatar is inherently an agent of balance, be it the the incarnation of the world as many believed on the first show, or the spirit of light like on Korra.

This is unimaginative as fuck, and like thousand of AUs where Superman-like character is EEEVUUULLL.

>The thing is, whats next to korra story wise is technological advancement closer to us, and the only way that would work is if the villain avatar removed bending from the world and allowed it to progress on its own, and decide to sleep on the moon because he has a god complex and all, then the series begins when the first astronauts took their first step on the moon, waking the avatar in the process, coming back to the world that forgotten him.

This...is...horrible....holly shit...

>an Avatar-less Avatar with young Iroh and siege of ba sing se

Could work as a comic series, but the franchine doesnt have the same whight and power as say, Star Wars or other franchines, that can spaw multiple spin offs that explore the world deeper. It would also have Bryke on it, and they would fuck everything because they are only idea guys.
Do you REALLY want to know what would make the technological setting of Korra better? If they had stuck with the genre of the time. Make it go full unashamed Pulp-style story, like Lobster Johnson. Pic very much related.

'Dieselpunk' already has a name and it's called late modernity.

Not when you have mechas and shock gloves with early 30's technology.

>an Avatar-less Avatar with young Iroh and siege of ba sing se

Something like this, where it focuses on the years before AtLA. But for all that it's worth, don't let Bryke rub their fingers and shit all over it.

wow

They did to Kuvira what marvel did to Rightclops

>dont really mesh well with technological advancement,
What are you talking about; the technology really didnt do much.

In fact the whole 20th century geopolitical mess was one of the best parts of the show.

We already had an Avatar in a straight fantasy war epic, having one try to deal with complex sociopoltical bullshit with magic kungfu was great in premise.

Korra has characters who are FLAWED OP.

Once you become an actual adult, you will start appreciating it.

The problem with flawed characters is that you can't just make them flawed and call it a day. In fact, I go as far as all characters everywhere are flawed. The real point is to have characters and narrative be affected by those flaws, and this is what deisgnated good guy plot armoured protagonist on children's telly is lacking.

He boasted about being the good guy and then called himself a Dark Avatar unironically.

I'll never get over that

>season 2 was a mistake
-Bryke

I wish they'd actually say that

It was meant to be a little 12 episode spinoff and then they had to scramble to make it more than it was intended to be. That's it. There's no big fucking mystery as to why it has flaws. Especially when you compare it to something that always had a very planned, preset structure.

It's hard to justify problems in the first 12 episodes though.

They did in a manner of speaking