Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/zl4pVOo56Kc
youtu.be/H2pvBApwMpA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

more like the flop tower

>just short of 19%
It would be perfect.

>critical consensus is real

I saw it earlier, it is that bad. is it still lower than the emoji movie?

This means "replace white character with black" is over?

The emoji movie was like 4%, nice trips.

What made it so bad? Thinking about seeing it but these reviews give me pause.

The Emoji Movie is chilling at 6% right now amigo

that would imply Sony actually takes a loss for this and doesn't find a way to weasel out a profit through some tax loopholes or some shit like that

Not until "replace white America with black" is

roland never even feels like the main character. jake feels like the main character and roland is just a guy he meets along the way because he had a dream about roland.

It's a shit adaptation of book series a lot of people dig

I knew this was a disaster from day 1, not because of black Roland, but because it's a generic action movie that misses the entire point.

this franchise never had a chance

Hollywood is never going to give a fair shot to an MC who literally lets a kid die to pursue a vendetta

>they could've stayed true to the book
>they made Roland a nigger instead

When will they learn?

Imagine a violent Stephen King fantasy epic in 7 books. Now imagine crushing it down to 95 minutes and rating it PG-13. Sprinkle in an unnecessary race change, cringeworthy dialogue, and the worst Mcconaughey performance in years and you've got this pile of garbage.

Oh, it's not even a "Part 1" thing, just the entirety of the series?

Why?

Let's not beat around the bush. Casting Idris was a red flag.

I hope Sony remakes Harry Potter next

>Harry Potter is black
>Ron Weasley doesn't exist
>Main character is Hermione for some reason
>Snape is a generic bad guy
>There is no Voldemort
>Most of the movie is generic slowmo action scenes stolen from other movies
>Dumbledore is a sassy fat woman played by Melissa McCarthy

One of the main character developments in the novel is Detta/Odetta learning to respect white men due to Roland's wit and bravery

but I guess that's pretty racist for a (((Hollywood))) production, isn't it?

>and the worst Mcconaughey performance in years

but he was the best part of the movie, Matt knows how to play a troll well

Fund it.

It was going to be the pilot for a TV show. But I guess they're going to abandon that idea now that they've seen how awful it is.

>7 books into a single hour and half movie

That can't be right

Sure he phoned it in hilariously, but he still phoned it the fuck in.

>Voldemort stays exactly the same

Not even sure why they attempted this.

A lot of the appeal of the setting comes from your own imagination connecting all the loose dots and trying to make sense of the "world that moved on".

And iirc the first book is more like a fever dream and the one with the "drawing" of Roland's party is a bit of an aside in our world so it's generally a mixed bag.

If anything this should've been made into a series with the events already at Lud and the rest told through a series of flashbacks.

Even then it's pretty hard to write it in a consistent way since King was all over the place tonally.

You think Walter Mind Broke Jake's mom and had her make love to him before he dusted her?

Cause that's what he did to Roland's mom and if King had his way he would have done it to Jake's Mom to in the movie

Hopefully this kills the racist blackwashing of movie characters. Forced artificial diversity is even more racist than an all white cast.

I hope so too.

>What made it so bad?
it doesn't feel like anyone involved even read the books, just skimmed the wikia page and picked out some cool stuff.

roland isn't searching for the tower at all, infact there are really no fucks given about the tower. he just wants to kill the man in black for killing his dad, and also because the man in black wants to destroy the tower.

no ka, no astin, but roland likes sugar (which is coca cola)

it isn't about finding the tower, the story is the man in black is kidnapping children to destroy the tower. and jake has "the shine" and his shine is strong enough to destroy the tower. jake had a dream about the man in black killing rolands dad so jake goes out to find roland because he's a gunslinger, despite not knowing what a gunslinger is.

its almost completely detached from the source material, and they do a poor job of executing it all around.

>he still thinks this even vaguely approaches a faithful adaptation

The whole Elba thing was basically a joke casting taken too far.

why would it, they casted him intentionally to drive down sales and write this off as a loss and recoup the money via a tax break

hope it flops hard

King deserves nothing but failure

>it's up to 19%
>nine fucking teen
All of this series is real and King really was some poor schmuck tasked to write it all down.

did anyone else find it odd that the man in blacks powers changed mid movie?

like at the beginning to show he has powers he would say what he wanted to happen "stop breathing", "hate", etc. but like half way through he would just give them a look and they die.

Kek

Buh buh buh it's the Alt Right and Drumpfs fault somehow

Just got back from an early showing. My experience:
>Noticeably, 4/5 trailers are for black-oriented films
>Opening text roughly reads: "At the center of the universe, there is a tower that protects the world from darkness. It is said it can be brought down by the mind of a child."
>First 25-30 minutes are about Jake being misunderstood by everybody with a brief, awkward dream about Roland
>Entire rest of the film plays out like a kid's movie (Jake Chambers and the Amazing Gunslinger!™) with no graphic violence or heavy themes
>Cannot possibly stress enough that this is literally a PG-13 kid's movie
>The Man in Black is weirdly effeminate and feels more like every gay man's idea of what he's like when he's being sassy than a kingdom crumbling manipulator
>Distracting, uncomfortable editing in several places
>Can't even keep Elba's fucking face in focus during closeups
>Everybody from Mid-World already seems to know everything about the plot and universe and is constantly spitting exposition
>Elements are seemingly pulled at random from across a 4,000 page book series. Disorients people who know the books and confuses people who don't.
>YOU HAVE THE SHINE JAKE JAKE HAS THE SHINE IT'S THE SHINE WE'RE TRACKING HIS SHINE HERE I'LL USE MY SHINE THIS BOY IS STRONG WITH THE SHINE
>Best part in the entire movie is when the inter-dimensional cowboy tells some sluts on a public bus that they've forgotten the face of their father
Came in with high hopes and low expectations. Was still disappointed. Not just bad. Awful movie.

Since you've seen the movie does it have ANYTHING to do with the books apart from some names?

even better, when the see-er told jake he had the powers of "the shine" he all of a sudden knew how to use them to the fullest of their ability.

This is fucking madness.

Who made this argument?

He really is an insufferable faggot. I watched him interview GRR Martin and good God he was the worst. George was alright and doesn't seem that political, but King had to bring it up in every topic and gloat about his opinions like a sniveling cunt.

>YOU HAVE THE SHINE JAKE JAKE HAS THE SHINE IT'S THE SHINE WE'RE TRACKING HIS SHINE HERE I'LL USE MY SHINE THIS BOY IS STRONG WITH THE SHINE

they explain what shine is, or are you just mad they kept talking about his shine

Shit, this is Sony too?
Why are they so unlucky/retarded when it comes to the movie division?

>portals
>multiple worlds (3: ours, midworld, and wherever the man in blacks fortress is)
>from before the world moved on
>the part where roland goes into a gun shop in our world for bullets
>the occasional rose in the background

when roland explained the tower there was no beam, no turtle, no ka. it's almost like they wanted to dumb it down for people that didn't read the books, thus alienating people that read the books.

I think Sony's upper echelon of management formed a group of utterly out of touch individuals that reinforce each other's decisions and literally fuck everything up.

Those emails really showed they have no clue about what they are doing.

I need to read em. Any easily accessible links?

They never shut the fuck up about the shine. They really, really try to force it down your throat. It honestly might be the most used keyword in the script.

>it's almost like they wanted to dumb it down for people that didn't read the books, thus alienating people that read the books.

I've never been able to frame this line of thought before, but fucking this is Hollywood's greatest problem of all, they alienate established fanbases in an attempt to cater to a wider audience that almost always fails

Also the tower isn't the hub of existence itself anymore. Its keeping "the darkness" from spreading. Meaning demons.
And Gilead wasn't a kingdom. It was full of gunslingers who only wanted to protect the Tower.

when jake and roland track down that crazy homeless guy and jake somehow realized he has the shine too made me facepalm so hard. harder than when roland told those 2 bus whores they forgot the face of their fathers.

The line of thinking is as follows

>we know the fans of the books will see the movie no matter what
>we don't need to appease them in any way
>the demo that will not see the movie at all is black people
>let's have a black main character so we get that demo
>the books are a bit too adult for a wide audience so let's have it revolve around a kid and his story
>normies don't like brainy stories so let's simplify it so there's a simple reasoning for the bad guy to do bad things, make him also really obviously bad and hammy so that part is clear

etc...

Racist systemic system. Thanks, America.

roland isn't the main character tho, hes just some guy that jake met along the way.

I could honestly see someone reading the book after seeing the movie and being surprised to find out it's a story about roland, not jake.

I'd say they're gonna learn how wrong that first part is the hard way, but they never fucking do.

honestly I only went to see it for a reason to get out of the house. I went in expecting total shit and still left disappointed.

>Go then, there are other Stephen King adaptations than these.
This sentence doesn't make sense.

>Go then. There are other worlds than these.
It's a line from the books.

Go then, there are other sentences than these.

Stephen king adaptations are pretty much always shit, and theres only ever been like 2 good ones: the shining and it. but even then it wasn't that great.

with a track record like that people should be surprised when they are actually good.

Shawshank Redemption and Green Mile.

This, casting a black man for a white role when there are better white actors to represent said character often shows you don't give a fuck about the material, which ALWAYS leads to a shitty movie.

>i-it's a continuation of the books
>in the books roland is destined to be reborn in each universe and to save the tower every single time
>in the movie he just says fuck it and doesen't
him being a nigger isn't even the worst part about it honestly

from what i've seen/heard, people's consensus is that if king endorses or gives words of support regarding a film adaption of his work its gonna flop

the ones he dislikes, however, are apparently markedly better

and this is coming from someone whose read like 30+ SK novels and really likes his stuff, he's just not a cool dude in real life at all

The movie is 88 MINUTES LONG.

88 MINUTES.

I'VE SEEN DOCUMENTARIES LONGER THAN THIS MOVIE.

shawshank, misery, green mile and stand by me are all great. I agree about the shining. the 90ies TV version of IT was shit.

>black guy gives up because he actually has to do something rather than have everything handed to him

sounds about right

Shawshank and the Mist are the only two worth a shit. The Shining is it's own thing.

It part 2 was fucking cringeworthy. Worst goddamned TV actors of the 80s.
youtu.be/zl4pVOo56Kc

>stand by me
Shit, I forgot about that one. Yeah, it's great.

What they did to Mary Jane in the new Spider-Man should be considered criminal.

I hope it means king adaptations are over but I know that will never be

At least it's a solid blow to blackwashing

Apt Pupil and Firestarter

How is The Stand?

>can't even make their own original series

Atomic Blonde is just as bad saying it's the "female 007". But at least it's original, right?

Was this a real commercial they made? Are you fucking serious?

Matt Frewer and Lieutenant Dan were the only decent castings. Jamie Sheridan was a fucking awful Flagg, but he did better than mccoughdrop

>tfw I actually saw this ad on television
>many, many times
I was physically nauseated.

Link it? I have a friend I need to prove this to.

>But at least it's original, right?
It based off a comic, but Original as in "It was written as a female" then yes.

bro she's literally got a split personality

I think of all the big movie studios I hate Sony the most

youtu.be/H2pvBApwMpA
Oh my fucking god...

Calling The Shining an adaption is kinda dumb because that was all Kubrick.

Apparently this was going to be several movies if it did well, but I doubt they will make more, and Idris was on a talk show basically saying Matthew didnt put in a lot of work, I bet any money mcconauhey thinks he too much of an arteeest and phoned it in sort of I'll do one for the studio so they will do this passion project of mine next kind of thing

the "women can do anything" meme is popular in marketing right now

dam a bunch of the emails have been posted on /tv every night this week where ya been amigo

Heard Rhonda Rousey talking on Battle of the Celebrities, or whatever, saying women in MMA today are paving the future for others, making it easier and giving it more attention. As if males had it any easier than females, UFC might not have made it to where it is today about 15 years ago, it only got attention in the 90s for being violent. I don't think any got paid a lot until a decade ago.

Yea and the line of thinking SHOULD be

>lots of people loved the books
>a lot of people don't like reading
>the people who loved the books will see the movie and probably tell people who didn't read the books to go see it
>a good trailer could get anyone interested

Sony is just stupid.