The Year Without Comedy

Are blockbuster comedies dead? I just checked recent successful comedies and the best recent movie I can find is 22 Jump Street in 2014.
It seems that Pitch Perfect is sort of filling that niche, it's successful and probably "funny".

But what happened to huge, smash comedies being released every year? Kevin Hart tries, but it seems like he is fading into obscurity. Every "funny" movie I have watched recently is relatively independent like Obvious Child.

TL;DR: RECOMMEND ME A RECENT COMEDY (preferably a big studio one)

Too many TRIGGERED snowflakes.

do you really believe this?

It's difficult to write a comedy when you're completely incapable of writing about; Race, gender, social status, wealth, and politics, without triggering the internet's social platforms.

It sort of makes sense, in a very roundabout way. The teen comedies of the late 90's were almost entirely about objectifying women for the male lead. Older comedies were also about "archaic" issues, like black/white guy switching places movies.

But as for RECENT comedies, I'm not entirely sure why it's dried up. I suppose most of the actors in Marvel movies are "comedic" actors and would otherwise be in big studio comedies. I haven't seen Get Out but hopefully it leads to another distinct comedy.

Everyone who's funny is working in television these days, leaving comedy movies to #raunchy, #litty comedies like Baywatch that noone wants to see.

If you're looking for a #litty, #raunchy, #pissfest, then look no further my good man.

If that's truly the case how do you explain fact that comedic tv shows still exist? If there's enough material for a series then surely there should be enough for a movie.

But is it really so bad? I hate Zach Efron's "comedic presence" so I probably won't give it a watch.

If that were true, many things that exist wouldnt even though they trigger this board all the time

This is the correct answer

the entertainment industry is 99.8% liberal and this is not a time to be happy. we need more RISE UP and YAAAAAS QUEEEN blockbusters, now more than ever.

The Disaster Artist will be comedy kino, just wait.

I have absolutely no doubt it is. It's mindboggling, how did they get the idea that anyone wants to see a Baywatch movie in 2017?

>COMEDY
I haven't laugh in years.

Any recommendations for comedy television then?
I know there is that Principals show and the Magicians is partly a comedy. Anyone watched Mozart in the Jungle?
I haven't watched tv comedy since Arrested Development season 4

I like Silicon Valley, the first two seasons at least. Right now I'm really enjoying Blood Drive, if we wanna count genre parody.

Tropic Thunder, Black Dynamite, Jackass 2

>RECOMMEND ME A RECENT COMEDY (preferably a big studio one)
BvS

>8, 9, and 11 year old movies.
Plus, only one of those is a "comedy"

OP here, I love BvS for basically that reason.

The Hunt for the Wilderpeople was funny

Its actually rare that comedies are huge blockbusters that win the year, it happens, but not more often than not

And when a comedy is #1 its usually a cult of personality comedy, e.g. Beverley Hills cop around Eddie Murphy

The other alternative is it's a romantic comedy

I liked the two Horrible Bosses movies

Comedy died with Leslie Nielsen.

>romantic comedy
The last good Romantic Comedy is something like Bridesmaids. They don't make "StarxStar" romcoms anymore.

I didn't mind the first one, is the second better?

I forgot the 3rd option which is Animated Comedy, but those are usually family disney movies that arent really comedies, they just have random jokes thrown in so parents who arent manchildren dont slit their throats

Baywatch was pretty fun desu