Thunderbolts thread. Post Thunderbolts

Thunderbolts thread. Post Thunderbolts.

>Thunderbolts sale on comixology

marvel.com/news/comics/26573/sean_izaakse_strikes_thunderbolts?linkId=27491968

I still play VS System 1.0 and Faces of Evil is my favorite deck.

I feel like the enjoyment of Jim Zub's Thunderbolts run so far is directly related to how much you like Bucky. Nearly all the people I see praising it are very obviously only reading it for Bucky. And Zub is definitely fishing for the Stucky fangirls (he even tagged the Thunderbolts previews with "stucky).

Meanwhile the Thunderbolts fans I know seem to be lukewarm at best on the current on-going.

What I find frustrating is that Zub's assessments of the team and their dynamic in interviews is spot-on, yet it does not translate into his writing at all.

paying the fill-in art becomes full-time

>All-New Shithumans
>Squadron Supreme
>Miles Morales

Squadron Supreme is very good tho.

God willing because holy fuck the main artist is awful.

Deodato was so good on Thunderbolts & Dark Avengers and now his new stuff is just way too digital.

I miss Ellisbolts.

Reminder that he worked on Youngblood before Thunderbolts. He's literally Liefeld Jr.

>What I find frustrating is that Zub's assessments of the team and their dynamic in interviews is spot-on, yet it does not translate into his writing at all.
Right? It's like he gets the characters, but just can't right them for some reason. The result is that the book isn't even outright bad, just depressingly dull.

At least Karla is starting to get up to her scheming finally, so hopefully it'll pick up soon.

I want this team with art by Marco Checchetto.

Kobikbolts is fucking garbage. It needs to go in the trash and Winter Soldier needs to stop getting put on team books.

Thunderbolts Classic at 4 bucks a volume is a hell of a deal.

like goddamn

Because the book will be dragged into the Cap HYDRA story/event soon and Zub can't introduce his own plots.

That's fucking stupid. Why not delay the book until that time? There's less than no point in putting out a book where nothing can happen.

Beware of spoilers though. The Thunderbolts are actually villains in disguise.

For real though, I wonder if there's anyone who doesn't know that.

I mean, we can at least say one nice thing about the book. Zub so far has not done any damage to the characters and he isn't popular enough for his take on them to become the template for future writers.

He wastes a shitload of potential, though. Just all the relationship/interaction hooks between the team and Bucky alone. Like why the hell isn't he using the fact that Karla, Norbert and Erik were brainwashed in Pleasant Hill to build a connection between them and Bucky over similiar experiences?

>Like why the hell isn't he using the fact that Karla, Norbert and Erik were brainwashed in Pleasant Hill to build a connection between them and Bucky over similar experiences?
To be fair, Karla would see right through that and turn it around on him, and Bert probably wouldn't give a shit. No real excuse for not trying to bond with Erik that way though.

Also, Erik and Abe becoming morons.

Hell, WHY Abe is with them? He turned 100% legal, so much he was actually working on Pleasant Hill. I'm just hoping it comes out Kobik messed up their heads

>Also, Erik and Abe becoming morons.
Erik at least seems a little brodouchey, yes.

Hell, WHY Abe is with them?
I don't fuckin' know. Frankly, he should be an antagonist, chasing down his old friends to convince them to stop running. That might've been kind of interesting.

Erik and Abe as dumb beer-obsessed dumb fratboys is a rather mind-boggling take on them.

It also bothers me that it hasn't been adressed at all that Abe was a goddamn warden in the place where Norbert, Karla and Erik were being Stepford wived. Those three were pissed off enough about getting brainwashed that they helped Zemo tear the place to pieces. I have so many question about that starting with whether or not Abe knew that they were imprisoned there, too, and was okay with them getting that treatment.

The next issue seems to be from Abe's POV so maybe Zub can be arsed to deal with that but I highly doubt it.

>I don't fuckin' know. Frankly, he should be an antagonist, chasing down his old friends to convince them to stop running. That might've been kind of interesting.

That will be Songbird's role

I am worried about Zub's Songbird

Bert is, at least, pretty fucking mad at/wary of Kobik for whatever she did to him, which will presumably be addressed as dictated by Spencer.

Zub has been hinting at Songbird becoming team-leader in the same blatant way he has been hinting at her return, so yeah, you should be worried.

If you asked me a year ago if I'd prefer Songbird on an Avengers book rather than a Thunderbolts book, I'd have called you a lying fucker.
Sad times we live in...

One of my friends wants Songbird to become the new director of SHIELD.

It's gonna be a while til we find out how he got out of the time loop, huh? And even then it'll probably be "SECRET WARS LOL".

Oh come on, guys, she's just the moral center of the team who still retains her ruthless methodology from when she was a villain. That's not so hard to write well. ... Right?

.... Dammit.

Speaking of which, what's going on with Zemo right now?

Going by what happened in the last Cap issue I actually would bought him being dead (albeit not for long). But all the big comic news sites like CBR have been pretty cagey about confirming his death, while being all over the Red Ghost's death at the same time.

That said, the Thunderbolts revival currently is giving me the impression that whoever made it happen used the monkey's paw.

I have some faith. I mean, Zub knows that Mel is a popular character. He's probably using Bucky so much cause he knows fangirls pick up for him.

>Speaking of which, what's going on with Zemo right now?
Nobody really knows for sure yet. Like you said, all the official sources are dancing around the issue for some reason.

>That said, the Thunderbolts revival currently is giving me the impression that whoever made it happen used the monkey's paw.
Dammit, Storyteller...

I mean inevitably he'll come back somehow, go sort of good (as good as Zemo ever goes), and save the day. All just depends on how we'll get there.

It's almost like Jim Zub just isn't a very good writer.

To be honest the less I have to read of Spencer's Zemo the better.

That goes without saying at this point.

But does it make Zub better or worse than Bendis that he actually seems to have done his research and yet still sucks at writing the Thunderbolts?

I think part of both Bendis' and Zub's problem with Thunderbolts is that they want to do something that has already been done, better.

Bendis liked Ellisbolts and he basically just did Ellisbolts write large but worse. Zub clearly appreciates the dynamic of the OG Bolts right down to Jolt, a team daughter, you know? I'm really harsh on any take like this. It almost never works.

I think there are a lot of parallels to the original T-Bolts run in Zub's thing but it's just a failed nostalgia trip for me.

I think Zub is also taking inspiration from Hawkeyebolts while making every possible mistake that FabNic avoided making with how he utilized Clint.

Namely turning the T-Bolts into irrelevant side-pieces to the Bucky show that Zub fails to write in character or give any meaningful development to.

Shocker was great in Superior Foes of Spider-Man

>not reading Spencer's Zemo with his voice

Considering she is popping in every Marvel game right now and was the only editorial indicated character for NA, I think Songbird is safe.

His Wayward is good.