How come Hispanics hated this movie other than some shady as usual corporate shit that the Walt Disney Company...

How come Hispanics hated this movie other than some shady as usual corporate shit that the Walt Disney Company attempted to do when they tried to trademark Dia de los Muertos?

How accurate was the culture portrayed in this movie and if it were portrayed accurately then why the allegations of it being racist?

Can some Hispanic bros help me out here?

Other urls found in this thread:

boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=pixar1117.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Saints'_Day
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Souls'_Day
1070noticias.com.mx/jalisco/mazamitla-tapalpa-y-mascota-con-lleno-total-en-este-periodo-vacacional/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Colonial_architecture
huffingtonpost.com.mx/2017/10/31/coco-7-lugares-de-mexico-que-inspiraron-la-pelicula_a_23262485/
theculturetrip.com/north-america/mexico/articles/11-locations-in-coco-that-you-can-actually-visit-in-mexico/
youtube.com/watch?v=B_0HiBw3g9M
twitter.com/AnonBabble

1. But it was a success in Latin America, aside from Brazil?

2. Very accurate. My skeleton friends always visit me every year.

3. The fuck is an hispanic? (rhetorical question, your terms are just retarded)

> The fuck is an hispanic?
I was wondering the same thing, honestly, please elaborate on whether or not this is something that only USAmericans refer to people from Central and South America?

They seem to think this movie was racist and even went to call Chicanos traitors to their nations for immigrating to the USA.

>this is something that only USAmericans
1. Yes

2. No we don't

boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=pixar1117.htm

>But it was a success in Latin America, aside from Brazil?

Then how come there are faggots on Sup Forums crying that it was racist and in return resulted in an entire thread where several different Spanish and Portuguese speaking countries belittle one another?

>faggots on /co

Isn't this like the top grossing Disney film of all time in Chili or some shit?

>went to call Chicanos traitors to their nations for immigrating to the USA
They are tho

We loved it
Perhaps by hispanics you mean ch*canos?

>Sup Forums is representative of the general population

Google Dictionary tells me that Chicano is the same thing as a Mexican.

Did you, pray tell, invent Dia de los Muertos?

>How come hispanics hated this movie
>hated this movie

I just saw this movie with my family. I never knew too much about the day of the dead since it isn't a part of my ethnic background, so forgive me for asking, but how accurately was this holiday portrayed and was this the reason for most of the traditions? Because honestly, the mere thought of fading away in the afterlife terrifies me.

Do mutts realize not all hispanics are mexicans?

>day of the dead
I don't even think they celebrated it till James bond a few years ago

mexicans reconciliate dia de los muertos and christian dogma by sustaining that that afterlife is actually a limbo between final heaven and earth, once you are forgotten you have no connections to corporeity are are able to leave

Among the things that disenfranchised me where the slight lack of musical scores for a film of this nature, the abuse of Mexican cliches (El Santo, Frida, everyone was brown even tho the movie seems to take place in some tapatian village which are usually far more diverse ethnically, etc..), the inconsistent chronology (5 generations take place in roughly 40 years given the fact that Ernesto was a famous actor during the Mexican golden age of cinema and the film is set on a rural Mexican village in the 70's or 80's) and of course the disregard of the Mexican lore which connects the Dia de los Muertos festivities to Christian dogma (Which is barely touched when Hector's friend dematerialized to "who knows where").

Mexicans never celebrated the holiday until James Bond?

But I first learned about this holiday from the Wild Thornberries.

fuck off faggot
mexico = brown
catholicucks

Please don't appreciate my culture.

Everything that happened in "real life" and how it was portrayed was accurate as fuck. The afterlife was obviously just fantasy.

>fading away in the afterlife

Not really what this is about, the movie just needed some sort of conflict. Dia de Muertos is a mix between Mesoamerican beliefs and Catholic ones, that the Spaniards allowed to thrive in order to convert natives. Some aspects of the Mesoamerica beliefs stayed, like the use of cempasuchil flowes and altars, and others faded away, like the aztec afterlife, mictlan/tlalocan/omeyocan/chichihuacuauhco. So the death instead come to visit you from, I don't know, heaven.

It's basically this
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Saints'_Day
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Souls'_Day

But more colourful, cheerful and with food.

No

Dogma only poisons someone spiritually anyway. It makes assumptions about God and their plans for the universe which is something someone on our level cannot comprehend thus why we make such assumptions.

guadalajara es BLANCO

Mexicans hate Chicanos because we are proud to be brown.

Isn't that just Halloween before we corrupted it into a day for the candy corporations?

The village is heavily inspired by Michoacan towns and Xochimilco, in Mexico City.

No. Halloween is some Irish thing.

chicanos are not proud of being brown, they all larp as aztlan indigenous and pretend that up to the last drop of european blood was a result of rape and violence (this belief they get got from the israelite niggers)

I didn't see this movie but isn't it just a run of the mill white washed village?

Wikipedia mentions All Saints Day for Halloween.

>implying it wasn't rape
Stop commenting on Mexican matters

> brownwashed
I fixed that for you.

Does the main character look white to you?

Browner than you, malignant mix.

shut the fuck up nigger I am an architect i know what I am talking about, the city is modeled after Guadalajara, every single formal building there is barroco salomonico af

>That movie
What a pice of SHIT lmao

Dia de los muertos is a mexican celebration, it doesn't exists in South America

>I am an architect
Prove it.

White washed as in all the buildings are painted white, dumb bitch.

So why the fuck does Chili love it so badly and claim to have invented Dia de los Muertos?

jealousy

it WASNT rape, 80% of the european inmigrants into latin america got married, either with locals or other inmigrants
If it were rape there would be an almost exclusive incidence of native american mtDNA haplogroups in mexican females, but this isnt the case

Aztlanistanis are fucking retarded bro

>it's not rape if you're married

doxxed u now, u peruvian nigger

lel
by that logic everyone in the world is a rape baby

Didn't Spanish do nothing but rape and privilege the natives when they arrived to the New World yet didn't go far north enough to discover the gold they so came there for was sitting right beneath them?

No
Because much like Mesoamerican beliefs, it got adopted by Christians or something. No idea about Halloween's history, but it was Irish,
Jesus Christ, shut the fuck up.

Specially you, god damn Peruvian

- The cemetery was literally San Andrés Mixquic in Xochimilco.
- The town's church was literally the one from San Juan Parangaricutiro, Michoacán
- The town streets were literally from Patzcuaro, Michoacan
- The afterlife was literally Guanajuato
- The great terminal in the afterlife is literally, Mexico City's postal palace and the Grand Hotel Mexico City

Where the fuck do you see Guadalajara?

Being Peruvian is retarded and so is being Mexican.

>Then how come there are faggots on Sup Forums crying that it was racist
because Sup Forums is shit

How do we get rid of this Peruvian newfag? He's the worst poster as of lately

all the architecture in the movie is tapatian

Same day but the dressing up as monsters and going from house to house is based on Irish tradition. Samhain was the Irish new years festival where the lines between the world and the otherworld were thin and fairies were out. The tradition says that the fairies would play tricks on you if you didn't leave an offering. All hallows eve was originally in May, they just moved it onto Halloween later. Don't know why, could be a coincidence.

I've been on this board since at least 2012, shut the fuck up nigger call me retarded or some shit but not newfag

>newfag
¿
No se metan con Perú, maricos.

You don't know my country like I do. It is literally Michoacan.
Shut the fuck up as well

Perra

I don't really like watching movies and I don't like hispanic culture.

>Wikipedia mentions All Saints Day for Halloween
Then it's wrong, it's on All Souls Day. All Saints Day is November 1st.

dont waste your time this guy is stupid as hell.....

Why does say otherwise?

Why are you discussing of a movie that nobody cares??
Hollywood today is shit

If the movie sold well then clearly someone cares.

He isn't. He's telling you were it's from.

>Thursday, November 1
All Saints' Day 2018

Jack O Lanterns also used to be turnips because pumpkins are from the new world.

>even the dog is there
Lmao

only a bunch of fags

All hallow's eve is the night before all hallow's day. The Irish day would actually cover bits of both because the old gaelic calendar counted dusk as the beginning of the day.

thats jalisco you fucking retard
1070noticias.com.mx/jalisco/mazamitla-tapalpa-y-mascota-con-lleno-total-en-este-periodo-vacacional/
notice the mudejar balconies

>Movie did well in China
IT CAN'T BE HAPPENING

The location in the Mexican's post looks more like the picture from the movie than yours.

are you actually retarded? in Jalisco, most villages have stone roads and lots of Mudejar balconies, which are completely absent in Michoacan and most of Mexico since those were really early Mudejar architecture brought by extremenian immigration

It was a success here too, the cinema was full. I had to go to other rooms to find pillows to put in the seat, so the kids could sit tall enough to see the screen.
It's a good movie to take your kids (between 3~10 years old), no gay shit and a story decent enough that they can understand without making questions all the time.

did you cry? When I say it 70% of the theatre cried, most were adults too

No. But it's a beautiful movie.

Any books on this stuff? sounds interesting desu

I'm curious, have you ever visited Mexico?

So when a soul fades away they move on to Heaven?

It's the most succesful movie in Mexico's history, that's hard cold fact.

The fading thing was a movie gimmick and not really a part of traditional belief systems regarding Mictlán (the land of the dead)

Not really, theologically speaking Mexicans aren't separate from other Catholics except for the ability to come visit once a year while awaiting final judgement, this is presumably not the case for those in hell tho the damned have often been included in our literature (Pedro Páramo being the prime example) if you want to get technical about it the land of the dead is nothing more than a Mexican themed part of Dante's purgatorium, tho penance isn't seen as being so hard, the people who do sincerely believe in Dia de los Muertos aren't exactly concerned with the details and the Catholic Church itself, while it has embraced the practice, has not formally pronounced itself on the matter, there's technically no incompatibility with Día de los Santos Difuntos as this isn't ancestor worship as in Shinto.

You seem to be a bit nitpicky for a non Mexican regarding how we view our own culture.

My best guess is those are Chicanos and not actual Mexicans.

No, quite a few bits are Porfirian and would be mostly based in Guanajuato and Mexico City.

>Sup Forums

Because Sup Forums like other media consumption boards are filled with pretentious retards who think their opinion matters.

>hispanics
I think you mean mexicans only.

Pretty nice pic, this guy does know what he's talking about. My own best guess is they took things from all over.

How come the image on the bottom looks like Southern California?

>189 mill in China
>literally more money in China than every single Pixar movie combined
wtf?
Any Asianbros wanna chime in and shine some light on why this movie did so well in China?

Because the movie focused on ancestor worship.

I did cry
Yes
It is en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_Colonial_architecture
read on the spanish baroque, the andean school, and the spanish eclectic architecture (bulding on top of ancient mayan/aztec/incan/etc.. ruins)

They did, but it was mostly inspired by Michoacán, you know, the place that celebrates Día de Muertos the most.

you are reaching so fucking much

Because California was a part of Mexico? I'm not sure where in California exactly do you mean but obvuiously all regions in Mexico influenced one another, styles aren't as clear cut and generally materials are a big tell eg Mexico uses red tezontle and porfido as well as white and silver grey chiluca and cantera stones, pink cantera is very common in Bajío, green stone is distinctive of Oaxaca.

For the American Southwest as well as much of northern Mexico adobe was usually the choice, particularly in the west (ironically enough it's Texas that looks a bit more like central Mexico) tho this isn't a hard and fast rule. That chruch in particular is a very clean and simple baroque so as close to a universal Mexican style as you get, not as easy to date as say Churrigueresque, Neo-Classic or Gothic revival.

Pictured is 16th century Mexico City

Those are the inspirations

huffingtonpost.com.mx/2017/10/31/coco-7-lugares-de-mexico-que-inspiraron-la-pelicula_a_23262485/

theculturetrip.com/north-america/mexico/articles/11-locations-in-coco-that-you-can-actually-visit-in-mexico/

*eg Mexico City uses red tezontle

Just admit you got BTFO

youtube.com/watch?v=B_0HiBw3g9M

>11:35

Very nice selection of pics man

These pictures make me want to visit Mexico. How come the architecture and landscape is so beautiful yet the cities and towns are so poor?

This is 1950 very close to the US border in Sonora

How did I get BTFO? All I said is that the architecture of the setting is heavily inspired in Guadalajara/Jalisco, which I proved by posting pictures, you got so butthurt for some weird reason that you started shitposting barely related pictures (like the ones of the statues) in order to VERY TANGENTIALLY approach my claim.
I never said a single thing about the underworld, I only spoke about the village's architecture

you're retarded