Marvel Developing 'New Warriors' TV Show

>This is nuts: Marvel and ABC Studios are developing a New Warriors comedy series that would put the spotlight on little-known comic book heroine Squirrel Girl, TVLine has learned exclusively. Both Marvel and ABC Studios declined to comment, but sources confirm that the half-hour project is currently being shopped around to cable and streaming outlets.

>Described as the junior version of The Avengers, the New Warriors are a superhero squad made up of teenagers, one of whom would include Doreen Green (aka Squirrel Girl). For the record, SG can do more than just communicate with the world’s vast squirrel population; she also possesses super-speed and strength.

tvline.com/2016/08/30/squirrel-girl-tv-series-comedy-new-warriors-marvel/

>New Warriors comedy series starring Squirrel Girl
Its just Great Lakes Avengers renamed.

Because we didn't actually have a whole pile of NW shit to lift from let's force the popular meme character again

It is the more attractive name.

>>Runaways on Hulu
>>New Warriors on ABC

You know, I'm becoming increasingly worried that the MCU won't have any new properties for Phase 4. I pegged both teams for their own films.

Someone wake me up. This has to be a nightmare.

>New warriors in name only
Can this squirrel girl meme end already

>speed and strength
what?

anyway, casting? anyone think it could have been kimmy schmidt a few years ago?

It's going to be Kristen Schaal isn't it?

Cautiously optimistic.
I think I remember seeing that Squirrel Girl was originally considered for the New Warriors, anyway, so that might be a nod to that, but I'd be fine if it's just .
Just don't get someone stupid to play her, by god.

Why call it New Warriors? New Warriors was never comedy, while Great Lake Avengers, the team she's actually from, was. Plus, you get the avengers branding, and the whole joke of "we don't actually have the rights to that name!"

You would think they could at least put Speedball in there.

Or make Night Thrasher out to be the meme-Batman he always appeared to be if it is a comedy series.

Runaways being on Hulu is very odd. I would think they should have had some deal with Netflix all things considered. Unless they got a better deal there.

>TV: We want to make a Great Lakes Avengers show.
>Movies: Ok, but you can't use the word Avengers.
>TV: How about New Warriors?
>Movies: Yeah, we're not using that, knock yourselves out.

>>>New Warriors on ABC
This is going on cable/streaming

If that's her animated look, I dig it.
Not the nightmare sock puppet that haunts her current comic run.

I'd have to see the show before passing judgement on it as a whole, though.

WHEN'S SPEEDBALL

I also figured Runaways would be Phase 4, but now I'm thinking Young Avengers is going to be their cinematic movie team.

Literally this.
I do hope for a squirrel girl/daredevil crossover
Not because I really care about SG but because the vast difference in tone would be hilarious

The vast difference in tone is exactly why they'll never crossover.

This triggers my jimblets

God fucking damn it.

I hope not, it still feels really early in the MCU to start trotting out legacy heroes. But it could be cool if that was a prequel to introducing Kang via Iron Lad (if they have the rights, is he still tied up at Fox?).

The Runaways would have never appeared in movies just like these assholes, remember that they have been trying to push Inhumans above anything else

>(if they have the rights, is he still tied up at Fox?).
Yes.

EVERY TIME

>nuts
Well played.

Probably because they don't want to cross audiences pools, get the kids in on it and not have to deal with the tonal clash between Runaways and the other netflix shows.

They are going to be so insanely overpowered.
Offscreen invincibility and 90s hacker powers with money? Sheesh.

Because other than Doreen who is going to be in the show due to her apparent popularity at the moment [at least on the internet], the rest of the characters will probably be from New Warriors stuff. It'll be New Warriors [like Speedball, guys] plus Doreen.

They mention the Avengers all the time in the shows?

The way the tv department works is they reach out to tv companies and say "Hey if you want a show let us know, here are some character's we're thinking of adapting." and Hulu or Netflix says "Yeah we want -insert character/show- for fall 2016" and Marvel starts to make it.

As opposed to the films where Marvel says "Hey we're making -insert movie- for fall 2016" and then theaters go "cool we'll show it when its ready."

So Hulu asked for a Cloak and Dagger show, and that's why they're getting it over Netflix who is only asking for Defenders related stuff atm.

>this is nuts
>starring squirrel girl

The weak name was the GLA's biggest weakness. It would have sold much better if it had a good name.

So....Nova?

The Mu has never recoverd from this.
Marvel Alchemy at work, turning gold into shit.

Absolute cancer.

If they do use a Nova it'll probably be Sam, I don't expect any of the original New Warriors to show up except maybe Speedball.

NOVA IS NEVER HAPPENING.

marvel gets a teen titans go? sweet.

Soo Squirrel girl isnt part of the FOX deal eh ?

This finally explain why she has been pushed soo much

BUT IT'S NEW WARRIORS!!

>trips wasted on this

look into your heart, you know this is true

I dunno man, they had concept art for richard done up for the first Guardians. They're obviously willing to bring him into the MCU at some point.

wait a second, wasnt squirrel girl in love with speedball, that is a good reason for using her

But this will probably be live action like the rest of the MCU stuff.

>they had concept art for richard done up for the first Guardians
You got a source on that being Richard?

So besides the original six, who do you want in this?
Personally I want Hindsight.

>Great Lake Avengers
Marvel isn't going to make any teams use the Avengers name outside the Avengers. Shit would confuse general public so fast.

wow, FOX and DC need to step up their game.

Marvel has netflix and a bunch of tv shows (Agents of Shield, Cloack n Dagger, Runaways and now the new warriors)

DC has Legends of tomorrow, flash, arrow, supergirl, Vixen and Krypton.

I dont if we can count Legion and Gotham (and the future morlock tv show) for FOX.

not him but did Sam exist when the GotG movie came out ?

>>>Runaways on Hulu

Im sorry, what?

>but now I'm thinking Young Avengers is going to be their cinematic movie team.
Doubtful. Young Avengers would confuse people or make people think they are a lame knock off of the Avengers. Unless they change the name (Champions?) it's no gonna happen.

but it has 'great lakes' on it
if you think people are that stupid, we need to just drop all the bombs right now

>it still feels really early in the MCU to start trotting out legacy heroes.
10 years is too early?

I think TV execs think people are that stupid.

Then what is the MCU gonna be after Infinity Wars?
>>Ant-Man 3
>>GOTG 3
>>Captain Marvel 2
>>Black Panther 2
>>Black Widow
>>Spider-Man 2
>>Dr. Strange 2
>>Avengers 5

This can't be the future!

Great Lakes Avengers was a great name, tho.
It made fun of West Coast Avengers and Justice League of America simultaneously.

Yes.

If you make Avengers, Great Lake Avengers, and Young Avengers all into movie/show properties, people will get confused and the brand name will become diluted.

Runaways is going to Hulu.

Why Hulu of all things? Im happy to hear it finally get out of dev hell but Hulu sucks and Marvel already has a thing going with netflix

I'm hype

When you put it that way it does seem better, it just doesn't feel like that much time has passed in the MCU itself.

Because Hulu wanted it. Marvel reaches out to a lot of different companies, not just Netflix, and if one of them wants a show, Marvel makes it.

Hulu is getting pretty big anyway, it offers a lot of content, and you can stream episodes from certain cable channels the day they air. I wouldn't be surprised to see it overtake Netflix in popularity in the next couple years.

Because Netflix wants their whole Defenders stick and they only film in NYC.
Runaways requires a budget.

Vision mentions in Civil War that it has been eight years since the events of the first Iron Man movie.

That's because the MCU is like a TV show whose episodes only happen twice a year. You can only fit so much in 2 hours, and let's be honest, Iron Man 2's and Thor: The Dark World's are kind of forgettable.

I'm afraid, Sup Forums. I am very afraid.

>If they do use a Nova it'll probably be Sam
Considering Loeb is in charge of Marvel TV, yeah, you might be right.

I wonder how Firestar will be marginalized or ignored

Novas with black helmets did.

K A M A L A
A
M
A
L
A

>this fucking storyline went to fucking nowhere
And the MCU Garthan is kill. He can always get resurrected and be given weird evil Nova powers though and become the big bad of Rich's movie.

Will be shoehorned into the Captain Marvel films.
Carol has no real supporting cast.

They can always come up with OC's. They always do.

How else would they come up with "new" comic characters to introduce soon after?

I don't know, MCU Saal seemed like a swell enough guy, even with his distrust of the Guardians and Ravagers. I don't think I want to see him return as a villain.

But so, you're saying that in the comics, they never picked this back up again with say, Sam Nova?

Fucking hope this is true. I've been hoping they'd do a comedy series based on either GLA or Superior Foes for a long time now.

Ego could have been a villain for Rich to fight in the MCU. Dude lobotomized Ego and then feminized him.
That ain't happening now.
I feel like one of the arcs in Vol 7 of Nova should be that Garthaan started the black Novas and was trying to recruit Tarcel.

You say that but we get even worse OC's in the comics instead.

Nextwave pls

Sam has never met Garthaan and I don't think he ever heard about him
The back story for his helmet is that a bunch of guys just wanted to be stronger so they formed their own group. Not sure how they scale against a centurion, but I think Marvel said black helmets were supposed to be stronger.
You may be asking yourself why Rich never knew about them and how Gamora did. Well, fuck you. Jeph didn't think any of this through.

Quick question. Is this a cartoon or Live action?
Either way, this series sounds like it should never exist.

That's so incredibly weak.

Sam was and still is a mistake.

>Dude lobotomized Ego and then feminized him. That ain't happening now
Well, they are supposed to be besties after all. You wouldn't lobotomize your best friend's pop, would you?

I think that if Rich ever shows up in the MCU it'll be as a young unexperienced Nova who gets mentored by Peter, sort of like Tony/Spidey. And maybe he can snatch away Pete's lil' sister since it seems he's ending with Gamora.

Why the fuck does Marvel hate the New Warriors so much?

Give it a year. They'll take him off Nova and make it a solo about Rich, and Champions will get cancelled within ten issues.
He's going to be fading into obscurity very quickly.

Absolutely nobody, this piece of shit can rot in development hell.

I'd rather have him hang out with another powerhouse and very quickly move on to being the Lone Ranger.

>and Champions will get cancelled within ten issues
So much wasted potential. No wonder Marvel's sales are dying.

Because they aren't popular. That's basically how Marvel's pecking order happens.

They're too closely affiliated with Nova. Marvel fucking hates him.
He could sell ASM numbers after he comes back and Marvel would still hate his ass.

>Marvel fucking hates him.
They don't.

Breevort and co. hate their fans and they want to push Sam as much as they can before giving up. The only reason he still exists is because the little "trinity" he forms with Miles and Kamala.

I don't pity the company that sells each issue at $4

>Night Thrasher's back
>Rich is coming back
>Rage and Sillouhette have appeared recently
>Firestar, Vance, and Speedball are all still around
>Namorita's status is still unclear
>this is the best things have looked for the New Warriors in a while
>TV show announced
>Stars Squirrel Girl
It's almost like they're mocking anyone who actually liked them.

How long will it take before every fucking news site speculates on how Speedball will become Penance?
I bet you that comments on these articles are already about Penance.

Is anyone even happy with this?
Fans of the original New Warriors definitely aren't, but what about SG fans?
I guess they'll just take whatever Marvel gives them

Reality Show version was kinda funny until they decided to use it as the spark for Civil War.

>Anna Kendrick expresses desire to play the role
>Russos say she's perfect
>new Squirrel Girl centered Marvel show
>teens

Why would they do this? It's pretty obvious they're not going to cast her.