All memes aside, was this a good turn for the character?

All memes aside, was this a good turn for the character?

Fuck no

it was strait from the 90's.

They changed him back to original costume, powers, disposition and appearance, so I imagine no one really thought so.

He would ironically be a symbol for marvel comics themselves.... Feeding off of pain and misery. Except instead of their own pain like Penance, it's that of their readers.

When you get made fun of in your own comic universe for your "OWW THE EDGE" shit, then you know you're a failure.

I thought it was.

I mean, someone gets so messed up by physical and emotional trauma he takes on a new and gruesome identity... I dig it.

He got his team and 600 civilians killed by being flippant. Small wonder his pendulum swung a bit far to the other side. Also the nature of his powers changed.

>still believing in this farce

dont let the uniform fool you.

I like this. I mean, I feel sorry for him, but it makes the character a lot more interesting.

I mean, come on, Stamford happened. That will forever determine his life. It's never going to go away. You don't get over that unless you're a psychopath.

Ellis did some neat things with his PTSD, it was a pretty cool costume design.

That said, I'm glad to have his original look back. I kinda want someone to use his Penance look though, maybe a fan gone legacy.

I liked it. Sure, it was edgy, but it wasn't like anime-tier edgy where its sickening.

Didn't he get raped in prison

Nope.

I liked the version of him in the iron man wins universe

Hell no. Penance was the walking embodiment of everything gone wrong in comics even to this day, edge for the sake of it rather than making a good story out of it. Fuck Civil War and everything that came out of that.

I doubt you can get much edgier then constantly putting needles in yourself every time you move. Sneezing must be a nightmare for that guy.

>I doubt you can get much edgier then constantly putting needles in yourself every time you move. Sneezing must be a nightmare for that guy.

It's edgy for comic books, but like i said there's far more edgier in those chinese cartoons.

In retrospect it was one of the few decent bits to come out of Civil War, and we got some good stuff out of it like Doc Samson's therapy sessions.

Personally I thought it was an alright character premis

jej

Back when Squirrel Girl was actually funny intentionally.

The idea of a seriously traumatic event changing a character's world view, even to the point of donning a new outlook and identity altogether, is fundamentally a good and interesting idea.

How they went about this specific instance? Yeah, not so much.

While it may have been an (albeit extreme) appropriate emotional response, I appreciated the change from the usual hero answer to collateral damage ("whoops, I better just fight harder next time or else the bad guys win")

>You don't get over that unless you're a psychopath.
Most Marvel heroes are so they would

Damn I miss old Squirrel Girl
I could've read a entire book of this