Was the “Tony Stark is adopted” plotline something you came up with or something from higher up in the chain...

>Was the “Tony Stark is adopted” plotline something you came up with or something from higher up in the chain? You might’ve answered this elsewhere already.

>The short answer is that I had an original plan for Iron Man, which was basically a hard-science-fiction Deadwood-On-The-Mood take about the death of Space Travel.
>Then the idea to make him join the Guardians appeared, which immediately makes any hard-science take on Tony impossible. He can’t be having fun space adventures and also worrying about oxygen generation.
>So we did what I did, and I got him into space, and THEN we realised that it was the 50th anniversary coming up and would probably be a good idea to do a story that harked back to his beginnings.
Clearly, I growled. I’d spent so much effort getting him into space and now have to do something about Earth? That’s impossible. Unless...
>I try to be additive with my work-for-hire work. You can do any story you could with Tony before, and more - not least introducing Arno Stark in time for 2020.

Why do they always sidestep so hard when asked about stuff the editors made them do? Just say it. "The editors made me do it." Is it that hard? Everyone knows already.

>Bendis saved us from Gillen going full pretentious on IM
I never thought I'd thank him for soemthing

I don't see how this is sidestepping, rather just elaboration. He blamed the "Tony got adopted" story on editor decisions.

Fuck off, this is a thread to discuss based Kieron Gillen, go back to Sup Forums

>namefagging using the thread's subject by accident

>pretentious
Kill yourself. No really. Grip your neck and don't let go until you see yoursef from the outside.

Are we seriously pretending Gillen isn't up his own ass?

1/ Yeah, that was stupid of me.
2/ Everyone wants to be me.

Man, Gillen is so fucking shit.

I think it's just hard to look own on Gillen after his stellar stint on Journey Into Mystery and Uber.

I kinda want to see a Hard Sci-Fi Iron Man story focusing on space travel.

It's irrelevant and you have nothing to contribute so you shit up the discussion with you Sup Forums-approved memery.

What's relevant is that Iron Man is due a hard sci-fi run since forever and the latest attempt at it was fucked by having Tony join Guardians for two and a half issues - same stunt that eventually led to the fake parents drama that nobody care about.

>anything I disagree with is irrelevant
It's pretty fucking relevant when it's the same Gillen that gave us the steaming pile of shit that was Young Avengers at the same time. Or Darth Vader a few months after that. Or Phonogram 3. Or Wicked and the Divine.

If it wasn't for him saying Uber had been started years before, I'd swear it was ghostwritten and he had nothing to do with it

What's wrong with Darth Vader? I liked it but none of the others you mentioned.

Well, I guess it can be a bit too progressive and tongue-in-cheek meta for some. Me, I had way too much fun with that. It's actually an epilogue to the Loki of 'Journey into Mystery'.

That page instantly highlights how bad that run was

And I liked his Iron Man and think very highly of most of his work, from when I still read Marvel comics

>So this is ... the power of Sup Forumsmblr ... woah

Uh... can you delete this please??

We literally always knew this. There were interviews back then.
Bendis wanting Iron man on the GotG derailed both Fraction's intended ending and Gillen's start EXCEPT Gillen also had to fit there the first arc on Earth to be casual-friendly. Probably one of the reasons he decided to try the new approach where he didn't have a clear overarching plot in mind from the start -I think we can agree that the new approach failed miserably on Iron Man v5.

To be honest he tried to fit some of the "we stopped going off-Earth and what would it take to put money on it again" themes in the Fatal Frontier digital comic, you can clearly see that was a theme in the beginning and then when it's mostly scripted by Ewing the themes shitf toward doing character studies and Tony's approach to being a futurist in general. Fatal Frontier honestly was the best Iron Man story in years

I'd say "go ask McDuffie" but he's dead.

Because Gillen is a bitch. So many people walk off projects when editors fuck them int he ass but Gillen stayed and now he wants to imply wit his passive aggressive comments that his IM would've been good but Marvel didn't let him do his own thing. I don't know what it is about Marvel, but a lot of people enjoyed being editors' bitches or something and just kept quiet, meanwhile on DC's side there were major discussion about how editors were screwing over writers and shit, it's nice to see year later that Marvel were doing worse.

The first Gillen thing I read was Journey into Mystery. It led me to giving him a lot of rope and opportunities with his YA run I probably would've have otherwise. It just wasn't up to par in the end. I haven't really bothered to follow much more of his stuff since, though I keep an eye out for whenever his name comes up.

I wonder if JiM had certain constraints that managed to make him write it better, a common situation with writers who will just right self indulgent shit if let off their chains. It did have, what, 3 or 4 crossovers redirecting its run? It's remarkable it managed to have everything tie in together at the end.

Fuck you.

You and me both. Fuck the neo-Guardians of the Galaxy. Fuck Bendis.

>I liked his Iron Man and think very highly of most of his work

Again, you and me both.

It was pretty unmemorable safe for the Arno stuff at the end of the day.
>starting arc
>space arc with 451
>flashback arc with Howard vs ayylmaos
>SUDDENLY ARNO
>Troy
>Malekith arc with added Dark Angel
>everyone's a Mandarin
>tail end with Hulk crossover
>next thing you know it's Superior Tony
The only times I had legitimately fun reading that were Howard's espionage/strike team and Tony assraping elves, aside from Death's Head II and Dark Angel's appearances.

Sure. Just not by Gillen.

You dont shit where you eat

Gillen sure loves his know-it-all robots that can talk you to death, doesn't he?

He sounded so unconvincing when he said in an interview that it was best that he was talked out by the editors of using Unit again and making a new OC was totally worth it because they actually had different goals in mind. Just reveal that Unit came to Earth for the Godkiller pilot first and then he discorevered that the Phoenix apparently fancied mutie redheads.

Darth Vader was pretty okay, and WicDiv is nothing special, but I like it. Even Young Avengers was pretty well written with its characters, and mostly just suffered from shit pacing and villains.

>And I liked his Iron Man and think very highly of most of his work, from when I still read Marvel comics

FACT: His Uncanny X-Men work, all the way through AvX consequences is a master class in spinning shit into gold

FACT: Journey Into Mystery is one of Marvel's 21st century absolute greatest writing triumphs

FACT: Agents of S.W.O.R.D. delivered every promise of fun, adventure, and excitement every other comic book promises it will

FACT: Young Avengers was cancerously overcompressed and his butt buddy McKelvie has no business in the industry

FACT: Asgard's assassin was retarded

FACT: Iron Man had good ideas but absolute cancer writing.
Try to explain Greg Land art by claiming "Stark-o-vision"? Great
Having to be stuck with greg land through the movie tie in anyway?
CANCER

Overall? A great, but immensely flawed writer

Gillen's iron man: choking out of oxygen in space, getting rescued and outshone by queer teens; everyone is gay

Bendis strikes again.

This sounds like a bullshit excuse for a poorly done book. By the 8th Guardians issue Iron Man was out of the team so he had no excuse to not start his hard-science-fiction right there and then.

looking back, you really do seem to able to pin point Gillen's fall from grace right around the same time he started working with McKelive again

>a failed biologist thinking he can write hard science

>biting the hand that feeds you

You can't suffocate yourself with your bare hands, because your hands will stop gripping the moment you lose consciousness. You need some form of tool, like a ziploc bag or a rope.

Can you imagine a hipster faggot like Gillen trying to do "hard sci-fi"? It'd be horrible.

stuff like "Tony's parents/brother" plot is cool addition to the toybox tho

This is so fucking spot-on. UXM and JiM were God-tier.

Didn't that comic have hilariously bad dialogue or something? I just recall a recent screencap from a Darth Vader comic and it was embarrassingly bad.

That may have been one of Darth Vader's appearances in Aaron's Star Wars series.

This is why serial comics are almost always fucking awful.

When writing, the process wasn't "what will work best for this story" or "how can I advance the character", it was "this event was coming up, so how can I morph the story around it".

Serial comics work well when they're not constrained to a company-wide universe.

Funny because this page would come back to bite Gillen in the ass several times when confronted about Kate not being straight. He swears, cross his heart, she is straight nowadays.