Is Homestuck worth reading?

Is Homestuck worth reading?

Is life worth living?

Yes, but you're signing yourself up for an exquisite disappointment. The highs place it squarely as the best webcomic out there but the lows are very, very low and they're mostly bunched together right at the end.

Yes.
But I'd recommend lowering your expectations after a certain point.It starts out really entertaining and intriguing with it's lore and mysteries like LOST or Heroes, but just like them fizzles out and becomes absolute garbage towards the end.

It helps to understand there was 3 year pseudo-timeskip from when the author did the first 80% of the comic and finished the last segments, in which it's clear his heart wasn't in it and just didn't care, other than wanting it to be over.

It's okay. The ending is underwhelming though.
Don't skip the intermission.

It is if you have like 2 straight weeks in total worth of time to kill and want a few laughs and see a few cool concepts end up neglected and forgotten.

Acts 1-5 are gold. Act 6 has some great bits, some of the best parts of the series, but it's all way too drawn out and riddled with filler. Act 7 is literally a single 9-minute animation that is basically a failed attempt at a gainax ending.

The worst thing is it's still possible he's planning on having an 'epilogue' which will be the real ending. He's done this before with Homestucks predecessor, Problem Sleuth.

It's called homosuck for a reason

Start with Problem Sleuth

If you like it give Homestuck a try

As an archival reader you will miss out on some of what originally made the comic great, but also be spared some (though certainly not all) of its most frustrating bullshit.

stop after Cascade and yes
Just imagine everyone died after the wall broke.

The first few 'substories' were entertaining, but the formula does get a bit dry.

I lost my bookmark so I'd have to commit time! That stuff is money you know

Fuck no.

I doubt it

That literal MSpaint-tier art? No.

The ending is so disappointing and it takes so long to get there. Don't put yourself through that.

>the point
>(you)

you understand the website is called mspaint adventures right? thats kinda the whole thing

Im glad freedomposting and bowmananon are dead to prove these threads have no more reason to exist.

I had to check.

So no then?

Is the game dead, or what
It's been like 4 years and there's been maybe 10 dev posts total or something

Fuck no.

>I only give a shit about the kids
Don't worry. Only two kids matter, one is nonexistant and the other has been reduced from interesting to background character.

>I only give a shit about the trolls
kys, also the Cancer troll is a fucking loser, the Scorpio troll is a fucking asshole and loser, the Libra troll is a slut and the Virgo troll is a background character. All the other trolls don't matter, despite Hussie hyping them up.

>Cancer troll is a fucking loser
and a cuck*

no

its a nice comic but its not really worth it

>Technically, yes, but there'll be a lot of changes and you won't like all of them, and it gets a lot shittier when you get closer to the end.

That's pretty accurate

Homestuck is Nice; Better than Undertale

Adventure Time >> Ed, Edd and Eddy >>> Homestuck >>>> Kaiba >>> Undertale > Christopher Nolan

If you have the time to read Homestuck, read Problem Sleuth and then literally anything else instead.

They exist so we can wallow in our own bitterness and wasted youth.

Zoe Quin might be working on it

post barefoot kanaya

That is essentially true.

marvelous

Real talk though: I love MSPA's art aesthetic. It's like people see the simple, aliased art and automatically say the art is bad for that reason. Those people are morons though.

God she's perfect without footwear

The story and themes are very engaging and prime material to overthink about, and the sense of humour throughout is great too… until the vast majority of that is virtually chucked out near the end.

The characters themselves are pretty fun, colourful, and lovable… just not in how they developed in the actual comic.

Internet culture changes so fast that it's rapidly becoming outdated, you should read it while you still can. It falls off, but it's so long there's still a lot of good parts.

Yeah. It's not great but as long as you keep the fanbase as far away from you as possible the comic itself is an alright read. I'd say "read up until [S]: Cascade, then stop" but at that point I assume you'd be in too deep. I'd say that john and dave' jackassery is worth at least checking it out.

I LOVE ARA___

>you will never eat out Aranea

I AM FUCKING CRYING RIGHT NOW

So can we agree that Kanaya posting is a wonderful litmus test for these threads, and clearly bottom of the barrel?

Keep in mind that these are not based on character quality;

Great Thread:
Roxy Posting

Good Thread:
Vriska/Terezi/Rose Posting

Mediocre Thread:
Aradia Posting

Bad Thread:
Jade/Nepeta Posting

/hsg/:
Kanaya Posting

No Thread:
Feferi/Jane Posting

Sometimes I have dreams in which I'm with her, and when I wake up I get really sad knowing that she will never be with me

do you know how all those idiots on tumblr said that "good comics don't die, they go god tier"
it's sad to see how they were totally right
homestuck ascended and embraced its role

the Waste of Time

So when's the epilogue?

Common theory is that there will be a news post or teaser on 10/25, then it will drop on 4/13/17.

Alternatively, never.

I miss peaceful stoner Gamzee, when the murderous flip out was just something that could happen, not his whole character.

Me too, user. One isn't very capricious if they change then stay that way.

It's like being on the ride of your life, but towards the end of it is a dark tunnel where you're beaten to a bloody pulp by a long row of baseball bats held by mechanical arms, and the ride stops abruptly just before an exciting drop.

But does the trip justify enduring the end?

Yes, but being reminded of when the comic was truly great, such as when you listen to a piece of music like Sburban Jungle, will make you feel very hollow, betrayed, and depressed afterwards.

Also, you had more to gain--and more to lose--if you read the comic while it was updating regularly, before the Gigapause in particular. Being a part of the most organic and ever-evolving fandom experience yet created was really something special. There was something new every day, in and out of the comic. There will never be anything like that again.

Reading it after it ends, you won't be traumatized by the disappointing way the author invalidates everything, but you don't get to participate in an essential aspect of being a Homestuck reader.

Read up to [S] Cascade, then make up your own ending

The overall best character in the comic is in Act 6. You can't in good conscience deny yourself that.

No. It's the Lost of webcomics, a whole lot of things that never amount to anything.

Caliborn ships Davekat, which makes him shit

Caliborn is good, but it's really hard to justify reading all of Act 6 just for him.

nepeta needs to be lower. It's at least hsg tier

Yes but Spades Slick was in other Acts too.

You say that, but Lost's finale was immensely satisfying from a character-driven standpoint, the most satisfying ending I've ever seen, in fact. It did drop the ball on some of the mysteries and it was written in the same sloppy, disingenuous way Homestuck was (retroactive foreshadowing), but the way people act like it went to shit is just selling it short. Homestuck's ending was so abysmal precisely because it didn't do what Lost's did.

Act 6 doesn't get bad until the original cast shows up in the alpha session, ironically enough. The first few sub-acts read much better archivally, as much of a pacing nightmare as they were serially. It's actually pretty fun; there's so much going on in early Act 6 that there's bound to be content you enjoy, amidst all the unwarranted teen drama.

The holes start appearing in rapid succession after the climax of the R-kids ascending, and I always lose motivation in my re-reads when they reach that point. It's basically all downhill from there, save for Caliborn's segments. And once the retcon comes up, you're in Hell, and there's no positive spin to put on that.

When all is said and done, only about 10% of Homestuck is undeniably bad, but that 10% is excruciatingly so, enough to make you question ever getting involved with the comic.

reminder

There was a time we couldn't last one week without updates. Look at us now, we'd wait almost a year of silence just to hate the ending anyway.

If anything, Homestuck was a terrifying examination of the time dilating effects of addiction.

dELETE THIS,

This is funny because in actuality Kanaya and Rose are the only undeniable endgame ship in the entire seven-year story where you know they have had and will continue to have sexual relations. Even John/Roxy was simply presented as a viable possibility and teased before Hussie flip-flopped on establishing it and kept diverting it with Terezi and Calliope for no real reason. He's such a coward that the only ship he's willing to canonize in the story is the safe lesbian ship. Not even "canon" Davekat is even properly communicated as endgame by the ending. If you go by the DOTA policy, Dave and Jade are more seriously hinted to be a couple by the end, going by Jade's last conversation.

Does Goggles even still exist?

I don't think so.

I love Tobyposting.

Homestuck is like...if Golden Age Simpsons was the first half of a story, Scully-era Simpsons was most of the second half, and Zombie Simpsons was the final climax and conclusion of that story.