/lang/ - Language learning general

How are you preparing for the X Century edition

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Learning resources:
First and foremost check the Sup Forums Wiki. (feel free to contribuite

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Check pastebin.com/ACEmVqua for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.

/Lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:

Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk# (Links to the other folders, apparently it was taken down from the original drive)

Old Bread:

Other urls found in this thread:

languagetransfer.org/courses
hypermedia.ids-mannheim.de/call/public/fragen.ansicht?v_kat=&v_id=4332
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

first for language transfer
If you're starting out with any of these languages:
>spanish
>french
>italian
>german
>greek
>turkish
>arabic
>swahili
>english (para hispanohablantes)
Then go to languagetransfer.org/courses and start listening, it's funnier, faster and more rewarding than reading some old dusty textbook that teaches you jack shit.

bump for comfy natsuki!

Friendly reminder to move your ass and practice whatever you're learning

Another translation challenge for you guys:

Who is there, my friend, can climb to the sky?
Only the gods dwell forever in sunlight.
As for man, his days are numbered,
whatever he may do, it is but wind.
-Gilgamesh to Enkidu, Tablet III of the Old-Babylonian version

Ye Gods, what is that first sentence supposed to even say?

Still can't choose a language.

Who, my friend, is there, (that) can climb to heaven

>Friendly reminder to move your ass and practice whatever you're learning
Thanks.

Here's an alternative translation:
Only gods live forever with Shamash, my friend; for even our longest days are numbered. Why worry over being like dust in the wind?

>Who is there, my friend, can climb to the sky?
>Only the gods dwell forever in sunlight.
>As for man, his days are numbered,
>whatever he may do, it is but wind.
A slightly more plain English versiof if people want/need, I guess
>My friend, is there anyone who can climb to the sky/heaven
>Only the gods can be in the sun forever
>But the days of people are numbered
>Whatever he does/may do, it is ultimately nothing

Qui est capable de monter au ciel?
Seulement les dieux peuvent habiter éternellement le soleil.
Pour les hommes, leur vies sont limitées.
Quoi qu'ils fassent, sert à rien à la fin.

¿Quién hay mi amigo, que pueda subir al cielo?
Solo los dioses moran para siempre en la luz del sol.
En cuento al hombre, sus días son numerados,
haga lo que haga, en la última instancia no será nada.
Had to look some stuff up

Should I make a YouTube channel where I speak a foreign language as a beginner? Is this a mistake?

Qui donc ici, mon ami, est capable de grimper aux cieux ?
Seul les dieux peuvent demeurer éternellement dans les rayons du soleil
Pour un homme, ses jours sont comptés,
Quoiqu'il fasse, il n'est que vent.

Ta traduction n'est pas mauvaise du tout. À part le "seulement" et l'expression "leur jours sont comptés"

ill try this at work today. ty

دوستم، كى توانستهای پایین رفتن به آسمان هست؟
An attempt at the first one.

Merci, après le dernier essai (dans le fil précedant), j'ai décidé de ne pas traduire literallement de l'anglais. J'ai essayé une traduction un peu plus "libre".
I feel like you would get slaughtered by internet trolls/haters. If you want to practise might as well go to hellotalk

Oh nice I'll try this when I get home. Always nice to have more Turkish resources

the turkish course is still just an introduction, if you're already quite far in to your studies, it might not be as helpful

so far it seems similar to the Michel Thomas method

Ya let's keep away from poetry translations...anyways, Dutch.

>My friend, is there anyone who can climb to the sky
Mijn vriend, is er iemand wie kan naar de lucht beklimmen?
Alleen kunnen de goden voor altijd in de zon zijn
Maar de dagen van mensen zijn beperkt
>Whatever he does, it is ultimately nothing
Wat hij doet ook, het is uiteindelijk niets

it's better famalam, way more in depth

>My friend, is there anyone who can climb to the sky/heaven
Mein Freund, gibt es jemand, der zu den Himmel steigen kann?
Nur die Götter kann für immer in der Sonne bleiben.
Die Tage der Menschen sind aber begrenzt
>Whatever he does/may do, it is ultimately nothing
Was er immer auch tut, ist schliesslich nichts

not sure about "der" to refer to "jemand" tbhonestly

Will probably try this one later.

Au lycée quand je traduisais littéralement l'anglais en français dans ce genre d 'exercices je me faisais engueuler par le prof. La façon de dire les choses varie d'un pays à un autre, donc il faut toujours trouver un juste milieux.

>gibt es jemandEN
es gibt requires the accusative.
>ZUM Himmel
zu requires the dative. zum is a contraction of zu and dem.
>Nur die Götter KÖNNEN
3rd person plural is needed here, obviously.
>Die Tage der MENSCHHEIT
Menschen is fine but we prefer to use Menschheit instead of Menschen when we refer to humans as one big collective. It sounds much nicer.
>Was er immer auch tut, ist LETZTLICH
Although schließlich and letztlich have similar meanings, letztlich is a lot better here. Letztlich means pretty much "ultimatively", schließlich is more like "consequently" and often equivalent to English "after all":
Synonyms for letztlich include letzten Endes and letztendlich, although I prefer the short and simple letztlich.

>es gibt requires the accusative.
>3rd person plural is needed here, obviously.

Stupid lazy mistakes.
Dativ for zu should be obvious, but I thought it would take akkusativ in this case, since the sky is being gone to (the whole "wo" vs "wohin" thing). I really need to take the time to go over which prepositions are dativ, akkusativ, and both because I sort of skimmed over that part of my textbook.

Also, when referring to someone of unspecified gender ("jemand" here), is it normal to default to masculine?

>Dativ for zu should be obvious, but I thought it would take akkusativ in this case, since the sky is being gone to (the whole "wo" vs "wohin" thing).

Yeah there are a couple of prepositions (auf, in) that can use dative or accusative depening on whether the context is wo or wohin, but zu is not one of them. Zu always indicates movement, a wohin, so there's only one case you use here, and it just happens to be the dative.

>Also, when referring to someone of unspecified gender ("jemand" here), is it normal to default to masculine?
Yes. There is mo female form for jemand in the first plce.
Speaking of jemand, actually "es gibt jemand" is fine too, alongside with "es gibt jemanden". Both are valid accusative forms.

Read
hypermedia.ids-mannheim.de/call/public/fragen.ansicht?v_kat=&v_id=4332

if you want to go full autismo. tl;dr generally both forms are correct and frequently used, but the long form is significantly more common after prepositions. People are way more likely to say "für jemanden", although "für jemand" would still be correct.

>having to learn completely unrelated words for everything bar some loan words
And fuck hanja too

کی باشد, دوستم, که به آسمان بالا برود
انجا فقط خدایان همیشه, زیر آفتاب, هستند
اما انسان ها , روز هاشان شمرده شده اند
هر چه می کند فقط باد است
I feel awkward about the wordorder in the second sentence.
I used bashad (subjunctive) in the first sentence because this "who is" is hypothetical, and it is implied does not even exist

For the French Assimil course, how many lessons should you do a day? The wiki says 30 mins a day but the lessons are a few minutes each and the books treats you as if you're doing a single lesson a day when I could do 4 or 5 in 30-40 minutes. How much am I supposed to do?

I would do these translation challenges if only they weren’t written in such abominable English.

1 or 2 but you are supposed to listen (and repeat) to the texts a dozen or so times

Either "wie naar de lucht kan klimmen" or "wie de lucht kan beklimmen", "naar beklimmen" is a weird double thing.
>Alleen kunnen de goden
Technically correct, but this means more like "alone/lonely, the gods can". "Alleen de goden kunnen" means only the gods can. Rest is gucci

I can't even understand them in English

Fug

Thanks. Still getting used to your wacky word order. So "be-" before klimmen implies to somewhere?

What does this mean in German, if a teacher writes it in an annoyed way, after reading your essay?

> Wie schreibst du denn Literatur?

Does that mean, "How is this essay about literature? You've written about the wrong topic."