It's been one year. Was losing this in favour of Cartoon Network Canada worth it?

It's been one year. Was losing this in favour of Cartoon Network Canada worth it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=tkYaauQkSFc
youtube.com/watch?v=4PrLVgR6J84
youtube.com/watch?v=NgUGvZkQd0M
youtube.com/watch?v=Lu-10cQZhXQ
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbs7tv2MBGMDnZ1tHYFaG39JUTTMvJDEt
youtube.com/watch?v=qvo0cDGsd9Q
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why didn't Canada get regular Cartoon Network to begin with in the '90s? Felt weird seeing kids that had to watch the Cartoon Network original shows in channels like Teletoon and YTV.

I thought TTR was still on, I saw it on TV when at a friends house last month. They were showing some old ass Hercules cartoon from the 60s.

Why pay for more cable channels when one will do? Also Canadian protectionism regulations used to keep Americans channels out if an equivalent already exists.

Is that why the Canadians had to watch MTV shit in Much Music instead?

It might have been worth it if AS Canada wasn't such crap and we got Toonami.

To be fair, MuchMusic was still good up until about 8 years ago.

Oh, so that's where it went? Damn it.

What do they even show in Adult Swim Canada, reruns with Johnny Test, Total Drama, etc. in lieu of shitty Fox power hours?

Pretty much that along with other shitty Canadian content like Knuckleheads.

I actually really miss Teletoon Retro. Also, it wasn't taken off in favor of Cartoon Network, as we'd already had CN for a few years. It was taken off in favor of Disney Channel Canada. It's pretty messed up that YTV, Teletoon, and the Canadian Nick, Cartoon Network and Disney Channel are all owned by the same parent company. That's pretty much why they're all such shit now. When you have a monopoly on all the cartoon networks, there's no competition and no incentive to get better.

Is that what Tetes a claques is in english?

No it wasn't.
I am still pissed that Teletoon Retro is gone; the only good cartoon channel we had left.

Question for leaf friends: when do you think channels like YTV, Teletoon, and Family Channel went downhill?

Being American, I never watched them, but from what I've gleaned, most think they went downhill around 2006-2007 - which very eerily mirrors the time American kids' channels also went downhill according to most.

Around the time when anybody with any sort of skill left Canadian animation, a real shame since I think Nelvana could have really shaken things up if Rock and Rule was released in more theaters, seriously that movie's animation is fucking based, and that soundtrack is kickass.

YTV died around 2009 I think.
I'm not really sure when Teletoon died because it's content kept going back and forth from good to bad but I'm just gonna assume it died in like 2010. Family Channel is weird because even when it was showing mostly cartoons and some good live action shows they aired some episodes over and over again instead of switching it up a little; Family Channel probably completely died in 2007/8.

The only watchable station now is Teletoon but it's still really lame.

Mighty Hercules is the shit.

I think Rocket Robin Hood has the better theme song.

YTV died when it realized live action kids shows are cheaper. Teletoon died when flash animation became really popular.

I love how Friar Tuck only takes one bite of each drumstick before throwing them away in the opening animation.

I disagree.
Mostly on the strength of Johnny Nash's singing voice, though.
youtube.com/watch?v=tkYaauQkSFc
youtube.com/watch?v=4PrLVgR6J84

Well that and pretty much any piece of food he got be it some fruit or bread or whatever, funny shit.

I just like the buildup at the start and then the chorus that suddenly sings as if it's Robin and his Merry Men singing. Don't get me wrong the Hercules song is kickass but I just prefer the Robin Hood one a little bit more.

Oh it definitely took a big nose dive and mirrored the downfall of their American equivalents. It was around that time that they got super lazy and instead of having their own identity, they just decided to copy what the US was doing.

That's especially sad when you look at YTV. In the 90s and early 2000s it used to be a really innovative network that put a lot of effort into standing out and delivering quality content. One of the cool things about them was that they created this whole atmosphere that, as a kid, made you feel hip just for watching. A lot of their program blocks would have hosts (which a couple of them still do), but they didn't feel like the upbeat hosts you'd expect on a kid's channel. They would be fucking around the entire time, poking fun of the shows, and occasionally taking sly jabs at the kids who wrote them letters.

They also managed to have a lot of really cool and diverse blocks. They had ones aimed at boys, girls, toddlers, and teenagers. They had an anime block, a horror block, and they even showed obscure British sitcoms in the middle of the night.

Hell, YTV even made their own comic book show 20 years ago before all this geek chic shit cool. It was a really fucking good comic book show too. They didn't just talk about Marvel and DC, they talked about all kinds of indie stuff. This was a show on a kids network that was talking about Love and Rockets and Vertigo books, and interviewing Alan Moore and Harlan Ellison.

Then somewhere around 2006 or so, they stopped making all these cool programming blocks and unique original shows. Gone was stuff like putting experimental animated shorts between shows and celebrating New Years with 48 hours of anime. Instead we started getting more and more live action Nickelodeon shows. What original shows they were making, were cheap sitcoms that would get one or two seasons and then be put endlessly on repeat. The once coveted after school slot is now just 2 hours of Spongebob.

Can somebody get that cat

off my head

youtube.com/watch?v=NgUGvZkQd0M

I remember when Teletoon had an hour long program called Animania and it was just a near solid hour of showing different short animated films of all genres and styles from around the world. Hell I remember being entranced by one that was just about someone getting ready to take a bath because it was so beautifully drawn and colored.

Moooooom! Aidan cut me in half again!

>One of the cool things about them was that they created this whole atmosphere that, as a kid, made you feel hip just for watching. A lot of their program blocks would have hosts (which a couple of them still do), but they didn't feel like the upbeat hosts you'd expect on a kid's channel. They would be fucking around the entire time, poking fun of the shows, and occasionally taking sly jabs at the kids who wrote them letters.

Huh. That makes me almost jealous of Canadian kids.

Here in America, it seemed the hosts of our kids' programming blocks were often pretty lame and generic, and treated the viewers like idiots (i.e. U-Pick Live, live-action CN Fridays). Toonami was an exception to this however

Yeah, they pretty much gave no shits.

youtube.com/watch?v=Lu-10cQZhXQ

And yeah, his cohost was a pair of teeth on a television screen.

>Toonami was an exception to this however
This grass is always greener my friend. Up here we were always SO jealous of Toonami. We got some of shows up here, but the whole package just looked so cool.

>This grass is always greener my friend. Up here we were always SO jealous of Toonami. We got some of shows up here, but the whole package just looked so cool.

How did you hear about it?

I remember how the hosts would take these little jabs at kids who wrote in stupid questions. One of the hosts was this dude and a bust of Elvis with some guy's mouth greenscreened in called Elvaiz and one kid wrote in asking 'what if you fall and break?' and Elvaiz just said "I don't get what you're asking here kid, if I fall and break, I break, I'm not perfect."

Oh and this shit aired in between episodes of cartoons.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbs7tv2MBGMDnZ1tHYFaG39JUTTMvJDEt

I first heard about it around 98 or 99 when talking to other DBZ fans online.

During the late 90s/early 00s, as part of what fans call the "Sugar era", did they begin to cut down on the jabs and witty remarks, or did those not really disappear until 2006?

Sugar leaving was what signaled it for me

Well personally I think it started around the time Phil left YTV and things slowly but surely began to change for the worse as hosts were starting to do this 'generic nice guy/girl' thing.

Phil was one of the best hosts between shows in my personal opinion so I am biased.

I don't remember her being as mean, but I don't think it was intentional. She was just naturally less of a jackass. I remember her first co-host, Pat (I think) would constantly make fun of her though.

I remember really late one Christmas Eve he was doing the question and answer thing during an all night holiday special marathon. For five minutes he deliberately picked all the heavy religious questions kids sent him like "Should I hate my friend because She's not a Christian?", "Am I a bad person if I don't believe in God?", then answering them in a very candid and mature way.

I think it must have been a protest against a producer who told him to treat kids like idiots and ignore serious questions. It probably would have caused an uproar and firing on an American network.

Oh yea, like the thing Ned Flanders said?

"I am out to ruin the life of a man who meant no harm for something that nobody saw!"

And lots of Fugget About It, which is a god awful show

Uppity Canuck fuck off

I think it has it's moments, like the bit where the youngest one joins the girlscouts and the scoutmaster reminds them to go over the sex offender map to avoid last year's incident, and then one little girl who is in the fetal position goes "b-but he bought so many cookies"

Could they get away with that shit in America? I am not sure since I don't know what it's like over there

remember when YTV announced they were starting an all anime channel and then didn't and then also killed off their anime programming block

>Yeah, they pretty much gave no shits.

Yeah, pretty much.
youtube.com/watch?v=qvo0cDGsd9Q

I thought that was all just NFB shorts.

I guess it depended on where you lived. Western Canada never got CN, so that's what took over Retro's spot.

Keep in mind that there has been several times in my life where I just stopped paying attention to cable television, so I don't have the best timeframe but...

>YTV
I'd say sometime between 2005-2008. At some point their quality level in programming took a hit and their original material is just low-grade Nickelodeon ripoffs

>Teletoon
This one held out a lot longer than others. It suffered hard during the dark age of cartoons 2005-2008 and some years after but when Adventure Time and Regular Show started getting airtime it got good again. Then in the last two or three years its just fallen to garbage. The program selection is trash and the nighttime block is filled with trash no one could love.

>Family Channel
Can't say much about this one. It kind of degraded slowly. It went from being a mirror of the Disney Channel with some original content, from what I remember was decent and more competent than a majority of Canadian television.

I'd wager it would have too expensive for not enough profit

I think there's still hope for Family Channel. Since losing all their Disney programming, they've pretty much had to start over. They're owned by the largest animation company in Canada and are already running stuff more mature than YTV is.

Oh, wow, my friend from Elementary School used to love this.

Thank you for reawakening the repressed memories.

That looked really... Real.

But you knew it couldn't be true, didn't you?

That's why it's good to think about what you're watching on TV, and ask questions.