/djt/ - Daily Japanese Thread #1974

DJT is a language learning thread designed by and for those studying the Japanese language.

Read the Guide linked below before asking how to learn Japanese:
djtguide.neocities.org/
Check the Cornucopia of Resources before asking where to download X or Y:
djtguide.neocities.org/cor.html

Archive of older threads: desuarchive.org/int/search/subject/Daily Japanese Thread/

Previous thread: * "We're back, baby!"-Edition

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/yuria_klove/status/966237478406406144
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I seriously doubt it

Probably, but it's the thought that counts. If anything, keeping the guide alive is reason enough to keep having threads.

Looked for za thread several times to contribute with a bump, but didn't create any because I wouldn't be able to keep watching.

I even had a question that I forgot!

I would love to have an ongoing Sup Forums djt but at this point it would be easier to get djt kicked from /jp/ for offtopic shit posting as it was with Sup Forums than keeping this one alive with that few determined posters

Kind of annoys me, because the slower pace is one reason I like this djt over /jp/'s.

We need to further the Globalist agenda so all countries become one giant melting pot, then we will have less region generals and the flow of new threads will diminish.

Ask Sup Forums to keep it alive. They can script an autobump at page 10

we could start by uniting all european generals in /EU/

I'm already 3 weeks deep in Anki core 2k/6k, but have yet to complete Heisig/Koohii and haven't even looked at Tae Kim's grammar guide.

I'm not in any hurry to read stuff, but somehow it feels like I fucked up somewhere but can't stop Anki now or else all these days of learning will go to waste.

What should I do?

>haven't even looked at Tae Kim's grammar guide.
it doesn't kill you to read a few pages a day

>I'm not in any hurry to read stuff
but that's what you should be aiming for

>can't stop Anki now
why would you do that in the first place

Any of you guys use lang 8? It aint no govoluable but i find it helpful and i even made some japanese friends.

>What should I do?
Stop doing everything wrong.

I don't get it, what kind of problems are you running into, exactly?

Otherwise, just keep going. Learn TK's grammar whenever you want, and then you can jump into reading. Until then, hoarding vocab will only do you good.

WHY NO ONE WANTS TO BE FRIENDS WITH ME OVER THESE?

I wrote around 6 journals, got some corrections, but nothing really memorable. Always corrected back when I could.

I don't know I didn't do anything special either. But I think writing about interesting experiences in your country that you think Japanese don't know much about is a nice start. After that they will want to hear more from you so they will add you.

no offence to brazil-kun here, but the japanese probably are way more interested in the US

>What should I do?
See pic. Everything will be 大丈夫、よ

I intend to have some real practice by the end of this year, will make a normal profile and an American one to see what happens.

Hey guys! What is that last kanji? I mean, it seems like the 月 and the 部 B-like part of this kanji, but I can't seem to find this specific combination on Jisho.

it's not 月 but more like 二 and 刀

那 maybe?

Oh, I see. Thanks! So 清希那. I feel like an idiot for not noticing the differences.

Use Google Translate to look up kanji.

Oh shit lads, we're >alive
We were down for like a week straight, weren't we? I think that's the longest we've been down since we got evicted

What does メンヌ mean?

>evicted
Kek. Let's not let this one die so quickly either.

>get the on'yomi of that fancy-ass obscure kanji right after over a year not seeing it
>the easy one you see all day was the trap all along

Apparently it's the romanization of "Maine".

If not, try looking for abbreviated words that begin with メン related to "mental", such as メンヘル.

This thread has no room in 2018 Sup Forums.
Jap is out of fashion. Go home.

>Apparently it's the romanization of "Maine".
Where did you find that? Jisho comes up with メイン/メーン, and メーヌ.

Apparently trees are rightful owl clay only.

A few random Google pages where that katakana combination appears and an (original name in English) is given.

Be sure to mine that

抗鬱

>mining words with obvious meanings

even if the meaning is obvious sometimes the pronunciation will be different. that's why i mine almost everything with no shame.

ok, let's fix that

>mining words with obvious meanings, readings, and pitch accent groups

guys im half done with tk, should I start reading now while i finish tk or just wait till I finish?

Follow your heart.

Wait, you're supposed to to Heisig before core 2/6k?

is tae kim's japanese guide all that i need to speak japanese fluently?

i dont trust this guy he's korean

>is tae kim's japanese guide all that i need to speak japanese fluently?
no. you wont get enough words in this way. if you want to speak fluently, you probably need 10k words under your stock

if か is a question marker then why あさか means "it's morning" instead of "is it morning?"

if i study tae kim's guide to its fullest and then learn 10k words, will it be neato?

Read 40 novels, do 20K words in Anki and watch anime for 1K hours and it will be neato.

and you can skip the anki (^_-)

ok, so i'll read the entire tae kim guide, making sure i indeed do learn everything
then i move on to words so i can apply what i learned

>making sure i indeed do learn everything
Don't hold yourself back trying to get a perfect understanding. It will stick much better with real reading and looking shit up when you forget. In my opinion, grammar guides are good to get a feel for the grammar that is out there and then to use as an early reference as you read.

btw, was that correct? "indeed do learn"?

i'm not sure if i should've said "indeed do learn" or "do learn indeed"

Don't skip anki. It's one of the more helpful ways to reinforce new vocabulary. Reading plus anki is a good way to learn vocab.

Just "do learn" is okay for the enphasis. "Indeed learn" sounds too formal for a Vietnamese moving picture forum. "Indeed do learn" sounds weird. I think it's because it's using two emphasis markers at once.

Both sound reasonable to me. I think I would use "do indeed learn", but I can't really explain that choice.

my question is: is it grammatically correct or not?

ok, but i'm currently reading the tae kim pdf (and writing down every new learning on a notebook for later review), i intend to master it fully before shifting my focus towards words. after i master grammar, it will be just like i bought a weapon. and then, when i start studying new words, it will be like gathering ammunition.

Yes and it sounds fine but is right

Adverbs sound best in between helping verbs and real verbs

Also "grammatically correct" is a shitty English educational system concept, what actually matters is that your writing is intentional and clear, not that it conforms to a set of derived rules

That's backwards thinking

here in brazil there is a saying: for a good understander, half a word makes do.

how does the line between acceptable caligraphy and unreadable shit looks like?

like this

I'm almost two months in and am starting to think I can't learn Japanese. Kana were super easy and a big confidence builder, grammar isn't actually that difficult, but kanji and vocab are fucking me in the ass so hard. How am I supposed to remember any of this? I'm at 400 kanji in KKLC and am having trouble remembering them. I'm around 600 words into core2k and am also having a lot of trouble remembering anything. Brute force clearly doesn't work and mnemonics are worthless. I either remember the story but have no idea what the word actually is or I forget the story completely. Either way, I don't remember the word.

ouch, that's a big confidence boost for me. i don't think my caligraphy is bad at all now, at least it's readable and i put effort into making my letters at least slightly resemble what they are supposed to look like. the bottom pic looks arabish

stay strong mate. i've just started with the tae kim guide, it's tiresome to write down everything that i've been learning, but i'm not giving up.

on the left, my handwritten フ. do you think anyone would mistake it for an 7? i don't see any problems with it because my handwritten 7 is like that one on the right of my pic.

that looks silly
just change your fu

what are you writing by hand anyway

it's important to handwrite, don't you think so? even nowadays.

is this one ok? seems good but i did it with a mouse, can't say i can reproduce that with a pen.

twitter.com/yuria_klove/status/966237478406406144

Japanese high school graduates attempt to read kanji.

I haven't had to handwrite anything for years
I still like doing it, but I can't say it's going to stay a necessary skill unless you need it to make some kind of art

I could only read さしゅう and ほふる
Guess I'm at Japanese high school graduate level

today i had to leave a note for my dad because i decided to drink his beer. i said that he bought that thing 1 week ago and still didn't drink it, so i took it for me and left a bill hidden under the note in the same place the beer can was. and it was a big bill so he owes me change, i specified that in the note as well.

>i wrote

fix'd.

>I could only read さしゅう and ほふる
heh

It will help me solidify the concept of 抗 as "counter, anti". There are around 6 words with it already floating around, but I never paid attention to them. Only to 抗議, but I always assumed it was the kanji from 冗談.

easiest way to do that is remember the verb 抗う

>I always assumed it was the kanji from 冗談
お前の目は節穴か

text him

Oh, adding a kun'yomi verb to kanji will often help me, didn't have that one.

節穴じゃなくて、脳味噌がいつもぴんぴんしすぎて速く意味に焦点しているから大漢字音痴になった。(´・ω・`)

don't worry, it completely normal to feel like a failure for quite a while actually

anyway, individual kanji study is more about "getting familiar" with the meaning, radicals and structure of kanji etc., but don't expect them to actually stick this way
you may think that it's useless then, but in the long run it will help with your overall learning process

it sounds a bit paradoxical, but at the end of the day the only thing that really helps is to start reading (something easy) in order to learn how to read, but it's probably best to build up a bit more vocabulary first (maybe 1-2k words), unless there's something you to want to read at all costs

>grammar isn't actually that difficult
there will come a time when you want to take this back lol

I need help translating this, because the way it's worded is just fucking my shit up. Here's my attempted translation, but I don't know if it's anywhere close to correct.

>容姿は整っているが浮いた話がないのはその人を見下したような態度のためかー...
>His appearance is well-ordered, but there's a rumor floating around that he looks down on other people...
>正直俺も苦手だ...
>Honestly, I'm not good at dealing with him either...

For context, it's part of a description of one of those typical top of the class snobby genius characters.

apparently 浮いた話 has a nuance of love affair or something

>浮いた話がないのは
so I read this like that he doesn't have anything going on (with girls) even though his appaerance is alright
and that's because he looked down on people or would look down on this particular person

>正直俺も苦手だ..
in this regard I'd interpret this as I'm bad with girls too

Thanks, that makes more sense.

>I'd interpret this as I'm bad with girls too
That's a huge leap in context
The speaker's talking about this particular guy, not girls

you're right, it should be difficult to deal with

So I’ve been trying to read a visual novel, but when does it save? Can you do it at any point? It’s a vague question so I don’t expect an answer, too lazy to formulate something logical because I ate a big meal and feel sleepy

Quit the game via menu, it should probably memorize where you stopped.

I've started a learn as I go approach to Japanese. I've never actually read a grammar guide from start to finish and any grammar that I encounter I simply just google search. I mine words from everywhere :watching anime, reading news, reading manga, reading instagram post from jpn people, reading from lang 8, etc. This seems like the most comfy approach for me. My point is that you all gotta find out what works for you. Going into tae kim and all those cores blindly is such a turn off and a quick way to give up in my experience.

Any approach which involves a lot of reading and listening to Japanese will work out in the end.

Most nips are only looking for native english speakers. Doesnt matter if your english is decent, they wont speak to you if you are from some 2nd world shithole.

>Going into tae kim and all those cores blindly is such a turn off and a quick way to give up in my experience
I went with the I do whatever I feel like approach as well, because it's more of a hobby for me and I'm in no real hurry
but some people prefer a more structured way of learning and would give up without some firmer guidelines

also as someone who gets incredibly frustrated with not understanding something, I would usually go to great lengths to figure out what any japanese I don't get is trying to say

usually pulling out a guide is a nice way to do that, and reading all of tae kim gave me a lot of answers as a beginner

now I'm at a later stage where only a tiny fraction of the information in that type of guide will be useful to me, and flashcards are a waste of time compared to just reading and looking up words, so I've adopted the google-as-I-go hobby approach

I agree on that for grammar, but for vocab, probably when you have a solid amount of it is when abandoning flashcards becomes feasible. By solid, I mean around about 10k or so.

Jisho's radical search bar has some uses when you can't write for shit with a mouse because the kanji complex is too complicated to write properly.

It doesn't even take that long to learn 10k words without flashcards though so I'm of the no-anki creed

I found stories I liked and that motivated me enough to stagger through them with a dictionary and that's how I got to where I am

why can't I for the life of me remember the meaning nor the spelling of this fucking shit word/kanji 呆れる
it's not even complicated

I struggle more with kana words such as とことん than complicated kanji, too.
Well that's good for you. I could "learn" those words in the same timeframe you're describing but I really needed something to retain it. Reading stuff helps but if I see the same common words, they get bumped into a yearly interval easily in anki anyway.

I read and look up words but I can barely ever remember stuff I see in a dictionary (or more usually Yomichan). I look them up and forget them 2 minutes later. There's bound to be at least a handful of words I've properly learned this way but as a proportion it's probably tiny.

if someone tried to shove a tree in your mouth how would you feel

yea they suck too
but honetly, I have no idea how often I had to look this up in the last few months, because I constantly keep forgetting it...
sometimes there are words that you pick up once and are able to read ever since and then there's completely trivial shit that makes you question your mental condition

a bit gay 2bh

口 → An open mouth going「あーーっ!!」
木 → き

anyway, thanks
maybe we will have this discussion again though

You have to put in some effort to remember them then
Every time I forget a word I know I knew before I make sure to expend a little extra effort drilling it into my head
like "hey, 真鍮, I know that's a type of metal from context, but fuck how do I read the second kanji and what does the word mean..."
Then I look it up, curse myself for forgetting it, and it naturally kind of sticks to the front of my head for a while so I'm way less likely to forget it later.
The meaning sticks better, since seeing the word in action after forgetting it once teaches me I need to know it

My white whale (well, one of them) is 実現. No matter how many times I relearn it, I keep forgetting.

>Every time I forget a word I know I knew before I make sure to expend a little extra effort drilling it into my head
Uhhh you're describing what flashcards do? Or do you assume guys just get a pre-made deck and just introduce words by the order the deck was set? Mining decks exist for a reason: you see the word in action and look it up in a dictionary but you also put that extra effort to remember it by adding the word in your deck instead of looking it up again and again. It may or may not work but it'll reduce the instances you'll be looking up words again after you see them at least once before.

You don't even need to know the meaning of that word though
Just knowing the kanji or 現実 is fine
It's pretty much just a verb form of 現実, which you can remember by the fact the verb kanji comes at the end
実現
事実となって現れること

Flashcards don't inherently do that. It's a process that happens in your head, it has nothing to do with whether you use anki or not.

I've always had trouble with 実現 and 現実 but I think I'm finally starting to remember which is which.

When I did Core 2K years ago, there were a small group I always had trouble with and I wasted way too long trying to remember them when it clearly wasn't going to happen.
Now that I've started doing another vocab deck, I see some of these words come up and think "Fuck, not this one again..."

Just a few of the others:
状況
条件
現状
状態
施設
設置
経営
営業
修理
整理
整備