What are Sup Forums's opinions on Man of Steel (2013)?

What are Sup Forums's opinions on Man of Steel (2013)?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY
youtube.com/watch?v=jSjI7gwuKtg
i.4cdn.org/wsg/1501955877167.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=8KdQ7Gig770
youtube.com/watch?v=7p5-14rjWUM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Before Batman v Superman came out this was the worst superhero movie of the 2010s.

Fpbp

Kek so true

Kino.

Before Batman v Superman came out this was the best superhero movie of the 2010s

you're right
it's a bad superhero movie
but that's because it's not a superhero movie
it's a mythological drama

its the best capeshit movie of all time.

its the Citizen Kane of our time

It is one of the greatest movies ever made. With out a doubt the best movie to come out in the last 10 years

I'd argue it was the best Superman ever made.
More importantly it was the best portrayal of the character superman.
Though out the past, Supes has been an extremely boring 1 dimentional character, never gave a shit about him.
Why?
Because he had no weaknesses, was too strong.. they had to even make some shit up (kriptonium) as a cheap way to make him beatable.

In man of steel they finally gave him a legit weakness - humanity.
Inner conflict, the type of guy who never hurt a fly.. a naive boy who can't save the world unless he kills someone, something a gentle guy like him can never do.

This carried over into what BvS did well.
They made batman the opposite, ruthless cunning willing to do anything.

they will race behind us, they will stumble, they will fall... but in time they will join us in the sun

He's blessed us with kino.

>there will never be a better trailer
youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY

BvS made me love it. Or maybe I was just too harsh on it in 2013.

>how a Marlel evaluates a film:
>how a DChad evaluates a film:

It's not a superhero film. "Superman" isn't even in the title.

I appreciate the compliments, but Marvel's movie series is currently more interesting than DCs, they are still winning.
I can enjoy both, theyre different.

Superman is by far the hardest superhero to put on film precisely because his seemingly indestructible nature. Snyder and Goyer decided to bind Superman to mankind and as such making him more vulnerable and human. Just look at the Terraforming scene and see how well it plays into the civilians extending a helping hand to each other. They are intertwined. Destiny of man with destiny of Superman.

youtube.com/watch?v=jSjI7gwuKtg

This is my favorite scene in the entire genre. On both a figurative and literal level, Superman's ascension is beautiful.

this isnt one of your marvel redditor threads though

I didn't bring it up.
And who gives a shit about picking teams based on what movies you happen to enjoy.
Fucking idiotic.

There has been nothing in ANY cbm that has come even close to this scene

Well shouting is the character development one gets in Snyder's flicks

i.4cdn.org/wsg/1501955877167.webm

/ourguy/
False flagging redditor.

>oscarlets on suicide watch

That scene is without dialogue. It tells Superman so well without a single line from Superman himself. You can SEE him without him having to tell you you what you should see. It's geniune.

No. I gave man of steel many compliments.

DC fucked up, though.
They tried to rush to Justice league in order to keep up with marvel doing the avengers.
Stupid.
They should have done it at their own pace.

Anyone got a link to that one giant post that explained how kryptonians are able to hold massive objects without the object falling apart etc? I didn't have time to read it.

the flight scene always gives me goosebumps

THIS! It was EXTREMELY problematic with its white people, loving families, toxic masculinity, traditional values, etc. We as a society have progressed beyond these sorts of disgusting, bigoted movies.

Although Marvel movies still have the problem of oversaturation of white people, the feminized, weak beta males there make up for it. It causes the environment to feel safer, knowing that these men are respectful and would never say anything that would offend anyone. Even the villains are feminized enough that, though they are still evil, do not pose an existential threat to th audience. Man of Steel had two powerful, angry men fighting each other in a way that was far too masculine for modern audiences. I was appalled at how anyone could possibly like this movie! And worse, later came Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice. Don't even get me started on that one! I fainted over 10 times while watching that one!

That was a WB mandate though. Snyder wanted MoS2 before BvS. Still, he did everything he could to make it work and he did. BvS was a 10/10.

Why was it so long? It's just invisible bio-aura surrounding the object. Unless it's different in the DCEU.

I feel it could be a better film if it were told in a more straight forward way. The jump to a straight forward narrative in the last half really hurts it in the long run, it would have been better if the events in the film were linear

I wasn't placing blame, I was saying it was a bad move.
And bvs suffered because of it.

In all fairness bvs has aged well. I don't think it's terrible at all

Of the 4 films in the DCEU so far, it's the only one I've watched just once. I feel like it's the weakest for many reasons, but mainly it doesn't tie in to the other films particularly well, given the production development. Sure there's little nods here and there, but it could have been a self contained film, it just so happens to have spawned a shared universe, somewhat retroactively.

Because of this, I don't feel the need to rewatch it. Saying that, I enjoy the soundtrack on occasion, there are some fantastic themes present.

This but exactly the opposite

But Sup Forums said it was like muh playing with action figures when i was a babby so its good

BvS is a film I feel will have greater context when the DCEU is more established.

Like, the context for Cyborgs treatment will likely be known in JL, the Flash/Nightmare sequence is likely to be a tie in to Flashpoint, in JL we're meeting the enemy Luther was "communing" with, and it's likely in The Batman we're going to learn about the Mansion and the Robin suit.

BvS should accomplish what MoS didnt, but never really intended to kick off - It's going to be a kicking off point with branching plot points seen over the entire DCEU.

Genuinely a very good film. There are very few non-meme reasons to dislike it, and the few flaws I do find in the film are never mentioned here in favour of memes.

In some early interviews with Goyer he did say that they want to make Man of Steel the basis for the Justice League. Though I doubt it was as a cinematic universe and more probably in line with a trilogy. Which I definitely would've preferred over this cinematic universe shit.

Yeah I can definitely see that, but with the finished cut, these jumping off points are minor.

Like the little nods to Wayne Industries, the second capsule in the Kryptonian ship, etc. If Goyer were actually launching a Justice League film in the near future, I'd have liked to have seen him pull it off more effectively. If MoS had more of these references, BvS wouldn't have had to have been so forward with it

>BvS is a film I feel will have greater context when the DCEU is more established.

That may have been true before snyder left and his vision scrapped. Now we will get a justice film completely different to the one that was initially planned, especially now the cuck king has taken charge

>mfw Amber Heard scenes are cut because her costume is problematic and Aquaman is turned into Thor 2.0

One of the few movies that i expected to like that i couldn't even finish.

And i'm usually not the type to not finish a movie. Even bad ones. I can't say that Man of Steel was BAD but i was just so bored by it.

Who's the cuck king?

The entire point of Superman is to inspire hope, and the movie sure as shit didn't do that.

Marvel movies are gay at times, but at least they get the characters right.

What marvel heroes inspire hope?

Cap america

What the fuck are you on about?

I said the point of SUPERMAN is to inspire hope. That's his schtick.

I didn't say that was every heroes schtick.

This movie wanted to look iconic but it's oh so bland and forgettable. It wanted to be epic but just became monotonous and boring. It wanted to look striking and cinematic and just comes across generic and ugly
But hey, for as shlocky and mind numbingly stupid as BvS was, at least this movie played it straight and treated its viewers like adults. It never goes as goofy as BvS did in a poor attempt to emulate Marvel's tone, making jokes about lol all superheros wear capes right after batman kicked a man into a grenade, paralyzed 2 others, stabbed someone and blew up another unrelated to the grenade

>spiderman's if this be my destiny scene replaced by Tony senpai.

exactly what was generic about MoS in it's genre?

This is about the birth of Superman. In the second part you see him becoming a beacon of hope to millions. But it is also greyed out with voices of those doubting and even hating him. I like that balance. It's not entirely that everyone loves him unconditionally. Real life heroes are never loved unanonimously.

The dbz anime tier battle in the end

>BvS did in a poor attempt to emulate Marvel's tone
BvS never did such thing. Absolute falsehood. Especially ironic when it's Marvel that based Civil War on mimicking the BvS teaser trailer.

no, that is something unique to MoS as far as I can tell. Other capeshit doesn't have people on an equal footing with godlike power battle it out.

nailed it

DBZ fight, Pa Kent's death scene, Superman not being the symbol of hope he is and fucking grey & blue filter makes this movie mediocre.Snyder is talented, you just need someone with a brain in charge of him.

>Superman not being the symbol of hope he is
He is in BvS.

Last I checked, Superman's character trait is that he always finds the better way. It's the staple of his character.

Snapping Zod's neck was the moment I realized "Oh, this isn't a Superman movie anymore. It's a Snyder shit piece".

Even in other heroes origin/beginning films, the dynamics of what makes that character shone through.

Not so in Man of Steel. It was such a shit movie, even the Lego Batman movie retconned it's ending by throwing Zod in the Phantom Zone instead, unironically being a better film than Man of Steel.

Shit reddit movie memed into oblivion only second to Fatman V Soupman

Are you even trying:
youtube.com/watch?v=8KdQ7Gig770

Kill yourself.

Zack sure can do trailers, he's not even afraid of calling himself a visionary director in the Watchmen trailer

shame about the movies themselves though

The marlel seething

You're human garbage. MoS was a beautiful work of art, no one gives a shit what you think Superman "should be" you fucking spergy fatass.

MoS and BvS did. Superman was very inspirational.

I hated the way Jon Kent's death was handled in the film. But other than that, it really is the best superhero film ever, definitely one of my favorite movies. Snyder gave Superman pathos, which is no easy task. Plus, the fight scenes were fantastic. I don't understand how "DBZ-style fighting" is a valid criticism, it's everything I've wanted out of a Superman movie.

I guess gods punching and throwing each other around with no real damage being done to either of them get's old really fast

remember evolution always wins but space jesus is stronger

I liked it

that montage about his dad made me cry like a bitch

Good looking without any substance. Just like every other Zack Snyder film.

Speak for yourself, I loved it. And I loved how all the collateral damage Clark and Zod's fight caused tied into BvS. Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it isn't good.

>no real damage being done
Gee, it's almost as if it was an artistic choice based on the lore. Both of them are invulnerable, remember? And when Superman's invulnerability was removed in BvS, he started getting damaged. I don't get why having consistent writing is seen as a negative these days.

>Last I checked
Check again faggot. And this time clear out Kevin Feige cum obstructing the view. Superman isn't a Gary Sue. He's great but he can still do wrong. He's not all powerful or all good. He can do wrong even with the best intentions.

Sure in the world of Marvel, a good action always results in good consequences because the writers are basically children but that's not how reality works or even plausible fiction.

Great. Second best superhero movie behind BvS.

>Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean it isn't good.

I'm glad you enjoyed it but it doesn't make it good or interesting to watch, how many times can one watch a blockbuster with a same third act of destroying buildings and not get bored but I digress

I suppose all I can say is watch more films.

You're giving WB/Snyder the benefit of the doubt of writing MoS with BvS in mind while it was seen as an answer to all the mayhem caused and a saving face as opposed to a vision which you're reffering to

It's been a while since I've seen it, but the whole thing just felt sterile to me. The characters were generally cold and somewhat disposable and even their relationships and interactions lacked a certain chemistry. The atmosphere I recall being deliberately made to look "darker", which just felt like manufactured "grit" that frankly didn't work for me as a Superman story. All of Superman's internal struggles also felt like they were delivered in a really heavy-handed fashion. Not a lot of subtlety, and with Superman being so god-like, subtlety in his character goes a long way towards making him relatable and making me care.

>marlels still in denial over Man of Kino
youtube.com/watch?v=7p5-14rjWUM

I wonder if they have the attention span to watch a proper analysis.

Answer honestly, did it upset you seeing Friendly Neighbourhood Spider-Man recruited as a mercenary by Iron Man and where he then proceeds to attempt manslaughter on innocent superheroes?

Lol um no sweatie

Daily reminder that if your opposition to this film is "not muh subparman" then you're a plebbit fag and you should get the fuck out of here and end your fucking life

I still believe Man of Steel is worse than BvS and is one of the worst films I've ever seen.

Hello? Sad at lack of answer.

color filters: the movie

t. triggered shitskin fanboys
I love how you equate any criticism of Snyder's handling of a beloved character like Superman as being somehow pro-Marvel. I've always preferred DC comics to Marvel and I love the characters, Superman in particular. That is what makes Man of Steel and BvS so egregious -- they're hatchet jobs on the ultimate super hero in a way that is entirely masturbatory and self-serving towards a director's arrogant vision (or lack thereof).

Pretentious garbage.

t h i s

snyder's daugther is waiting for you in the sun user

>dcuck
FTFY

>M-M-M-MUUHHH MAKKEE UPP !@!!!!

Superman aint a grumpy bald tho.

Snyderlet please kys, your trying too hard.

irredeemable filth -- it takes a Christopher Nolan to have Superman's earthly father suggest that young Clark Kent should let a schoolbus full of kids drown rather than reveal his superpowers, but it takes a Zack Snyder to encase General Zod inside a fullbody metallic dildo before sending him into the Phantom Zone. And it takes both of them to grossly exploit 9/11 imagery with all those collapsing skyscrapers.

Same. The scene on the mountain in particular made me totally re-evaluate the depiction of Jonathan Kent.

>but at least they get the characters right.

I don't think this statement holds after Doctor Strange and Spider-Man Homecoming.

>Marvel movies are gay at times, but at least they get the characters right.

They don't. They change them.

kino

Has anyone or Snyder actually confirmed that he was leaving the DCEU? Or are people assuming this because that's what they want?

The only evidence that makes it seem plausible is that Snyder removed the JL background from his Twitter. I really hope they didn't do anything bad to him.

Superman killed Zod, Doomsday, Darkseid and a bunch of other villains in the comics. Darkseid murder was even written by Morrison, the writer which Sup Forums faggots usually recall to show how the "proper Superman" always find a way.