I think the weekend that Sorcerer and Star Wars premiered was a watershed moment for movies, and not in a good way...

I think the weekend that Sorcerer and Star Wars premiered was a watershed moment for movies, and not in a good way. Friedkin, who had been batting 1000 so far, came out with his best work yet, a film focused on men working together, thinking on their feet and struggling against insurmountable odds to complete their job. It had two of the best suspense set pieces in movie history, one right after the other, and made no guarantees that its characters would be rewarded for their skill and determination. Up against this you had Star Wars, about a kid whose heritage gives him special powers, makes him superior to those around him, and lets him save the universe in the end. The weekend where Sorcerer bombed and Star Wars was a hit marked the moment studios started really infantilizing their audiences. This is a definition of a movie that couldn't be made today, and it's the movie whose undeserved failure is a huge reason for that fact.

Also,
>One of the main protagonists is a straight up Muslim terrorist who bombs a building in Jerusalem in the second scene of the movie

Based Friedkin

Other urls found in this thread:

empireonline.com/movies/high-rise/ben-wheatley-wages-fear-female-leads/
youtube.com/watch?v=CbkGdKU4MnY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You're not gonna get a discussion on Sorcerer here anymore user, way too unknown for the plebs who flooded this place. A few years back there was some great discussion about this and Wages of Fear, which is how I discovered them.

What do you think about another fucking remake of Wages?
empireonline.com/movies/high-rise/ben-wheatley-wages-fear-female-leads/
I mean its a good track record so far but
>Female leads

This movie has one of the best montage scenes ever made.

it has a nice poster, but wages of fear is better

Everyone on here knows what Sorcerer is, you pseud. It's always mentioned.

I see no reason not to spread the word and get the film the notoriety it deserves

I've still not seen it

>wheatley
>female leads

Yeah, dropped. High Rise and Free Fire were both shit movies with hollow "girl power" endings. Guarantee his version has an upbeat ending without the fatalism of Clouzot or Friedkin.

>that psychedelic mania that sets in at the last act
Very similar Aguirre, the Wrath of God. I don't want to say Friedkin copied Herzog, but perhaps he was inspired?
>way too unknown
But even RLM knows about it.

Sorcerer doubles checked

>i'm a pleb
And your point is?

I am watching it now and I am sorry

I've seen it mentioned in lists and shit but not discussed in a long while, figured it was kinda forgotten
You mean this or the flashback sequence at the end? Both are pretty fucking impressive youtube.com/watch?v=CbkGdKU4MnY

I can see a lot of Herzog's influence on the movie, not so much in the psychotic scene at the end - that part seemed like trademark Friedkin, right down to his heavy blue color grading - but the movie as a whole had a lot of Aguirre stuff going on with the struggle against nature

So I've seen wages of fear, can I give this one a pass or what

ive seen Wages of Fear, liked it a lot, havent seen Sorcerer yet though, how do they compare?

Sorcerer's worth a watch. General consensus is that Wages is the superior film, but Sorcerer has an interesting aesthetic and basically completely different characters, also some really remarkable stunt work

Sorcerer looks like a delivery service on Dagobah

excellent movie

10/10

i've seen sorcerer but not the original wages of fear. how much shit are the wages of fear characters put through in comparison?

seen wages of fear recently, sorcerer is a remake of that right?

Equal, if not a bit more
Yup and a remake done right

>hollywood didn't start infantilizing their audiences until star wars

... way to ignore just about the entirety of cinema history.

what do you make of it?

but when was the breaking point?

Did nothing better come out that weekend? Sorcerer is a remake of The Wages of Fear by the brattiest of the Movie Brats, it's not the best example of artistically ambitious filmmaking.

Problem is: Sorcerer runs for 1h before something interesting happens. Watch Speed instead.

He did copy him. The movie is a remake anyway, and Friedkin's entire idea of how to direct movies is a Fritz Lang impersonation, so it's not a stretch to call him derivative.

Sure, there were always infantilizing movies, but Sorcerer vs. Star Wars was the moment the trajectory was set and Hollywood decided mainstream audiences no longer wanted to be treated like adults.

the jerusalem bombing is an excellent scene lad

But you forget the fact that Sorcerer is a shit movie while Star Wars is not

No, again, this isn't what happened. There are so many people who swallow the self-serving myth of that time. Let me make it country simple: Hollywood makes movies for whoever the majority of ticket-buyers are. In the golden age, it was women and their kids/younger siblings. Then as that declined, it was teenagers with cars - hence drive-ins. The "New Hollywood" era began because the older people were watching TV, while the younger people were still going to the movies, and the movies competed on content rather than spectacle because too many expensive flops happened in the late sixties. The young people who were forming families of their own would ALWAYS have eventually wanted to take their own kids to the movies, and the industry would always have tried to appeal to them as the changing economy made it easier to make expensive-looking movies. That's what happened. No editorial decisions, just monetary ones.

W-will m'ladies fuck me now...?

>complaining that a remake didn't do as well as one of the most important and influential movies of all time

I have to agree with you, Sorcerer had some stunning scenes, but was too slow and long.

Maybe that makes me a pleb, but plebs are in the majority, we control Hollywood.

None of those movies had female power endings you fucking autist, why don't you go out and get some pussy instead of jerking off to hentai all day.

Literally a thousand films have done that trope