I did not know that Bonnie was in Gen13..XD

I did not know that Bonnie was in Gen13..XD

Also, post example of characters with similar design in differents media.

Is this from those final issues of v1, or are they actually rebooting Gen 13?

no, is the old series.

Good. It's just not possible to do a good Gen 13 comic without it being the 90s.

Well that's implying Gen13 was ever any good.

>censoring in comics
Dumbest thing ever. You can either say the word or find an alternative to it.

Well Bobby does have a type.

See that's my problem with Gen13, I'm interested in the series and I want to like it but it doesn't seem to be very good. When does it get good?

>TFW you want to discuss Gen13 in-depth but nobody on Sup Forums gives a shit

It never gets actually good, but it can be enjoyable. It's 90s MTV poured into teen superhero form. And it's just not ashamed of it. It blatantly comes up with all these terrible excuses to have those underage girls walk around in lingerie, and it just doesn't give a fuck. It's teenage fapbait, but at least it's honest about it. It also rips off X-men in all kinds of ways.

It's a guilty pleasure of mine. I like that issue where Fairchilds clothing is transformed in a cyberdominatrix outfit by her sodacan, because it serves the mission.

You know what's also enjoyable?
A well thought out plot and developed characters.

>Fairchild's clothing is transformed in a cyberdominatrix outfit by her soda can.
Claremont?

someone know the source issue of this pic?

No, but it is one of the many ways in which they ripped of X-men. Although Claremont was more into bodymorph and mindcontrol. Gen13 had a lot of mind control too, I think.

Yeah, but those things also would make it 'good', and that was never part of the plan. I think if Grunge was a well developed character, he wouldn't have named himself after an ill-defined music genre.

>they ripped off X-men
Yeah but what teen superhero team book hasn't?

True, but Gen13 went beyond. They copied storylines like the first shi'ar arc, days of future past, and they gave Roxy a Not!Lockheed pet. Their older mentor had a brother who was an unstoppable villain. They got stranded on an island, not unlike the Savage Land.

Then what was the plan?

>Rainmaker is obviously Storm
>Burnout is Cyclops
>Fairchild is Jean Grey
>Freefall is Kitty
>Grunge and wolverine are both manlets

Sell comics by being cool and sexy. It's not a bad plan, lots of comics, series, movies and music artists get away with selling by being cool and sexy, instead of being actually good. And I think that, for a while, Gen13 was really popular.

I get that, but it's also a huge disservice to those X-men characters.

You're talking like Warren's run wasn't one of the best Wildstorm runs ever.

Bonnie who, Bonnie Rockwaller? Because that girl holding on to Burnout looks like her.
I don't know if I'd call it a disservice, it's not like it was making fun of them. Anyway the only real similarity for me aside from not!Lockheed was the fact that they had a Lynch as an Xavier-esque mentor. Aside from that it was really different. It was a road trip comic when X-Men wasn't, it had a much bigger humor/cheesecake focus than X-Men. Also in Gen13 they inherited their powers from their parents, they weren't mutants and thus there was no racial subtext.

I mean like any other teen comic since X-Men it takes influence from Claremont but the only reason it gets shit for being X-Men ripoff is because of the whole Generation X controversy.

yes, her.

Seriously. Trying to read Empowered is impossible sometimes when every speech balloon is half censor bars.

Im not saying you have to swear but if you're gonna swear fucking swear. Don't be a pussy about it.

>they weren't mutants and thus there was no racial subtext.

X-men can really come off as really disingenuous a lot of the time

>Oh poor us. We're sexy and godlike and live in a mansion but some redneck doesn't like us because we're different. Ill go cry by our big expensive pool

Like I said, I wouldn't necessarily call it good, but I enjoy it for what it is.

Well, disservice sounds a little harsher than I meant, but indeed, I don't think the characetrs are very much alike. But the powers, they may not be purely genetical, but they manifest out of nowhere around puberty. Whereas the X-men were chased by the government, Gen13 were hunted by the evil megacorporation. But I agree, it was very different in tone. It doesn't take itself very serious, and that works well for the series.

>Empowered
Make sense considering Adam Warren wrote this issue.

Yeah it's not like Mutants are being hunted by 50 feet death robo-OH WAIT

Yeah it's not like mutants can't kill the world on a whim and go around wrecking up the city and killing millions

OH WAIT

The sad part is that instead of actually working with the government to set an example why sentinels aren't needed the GOOD GUYS publicly agree with the villains ideology and form their own splinter and militant groups.

>some of these mutans can be dangerous
>better kill all of them even the children and the one whose powers can be beneficial.

Mugga, say that again and I will fucking fight you.

nice strawman, hey I got one too

>Our powers are awesome so mutation is a gift
>If you want to be cured of your death touch or freakish deformity you're a coward and a traitor

and funnily enough Claremont's 110% complete revamp reboot of the book was horseshit once he got his claws into Gen13.

>Gen13 was never good
;p

>Why sentinels aren't needed
Pretty sure Extrajudicial killings carried out by death robots is unconstitutional.

And Im pretty sure getting the city flooded by a loon with a messiah complex is considered an act of war.

Mutants ARE dangerous no matter how you look at it. You can't have the x-men pull this shit and then turn around and have them play the victim card when people freak out.

Mutants need to be held accountable for their actions but the x-men don't think they have to meet anyone half way. They're gifted and the future and that's the end of it. Humans can just GTFO if they don't like it. It's no wonder that radical extremists attack them.

Im not advocating the extermination of all mutants but the situation is so out of the ordinary that conventional logic and racial allegories just don't fly. All it would take is the mutant population making a show of good faith but we don't get that. It's always "waaaaaah people don't like me for my uncontrollable death eyes" or some kid in some town who farts and turns his entire neighborhood into zombies.

If slug girl signed a paper when she got her powers that showed she was just slug girl then maybe the 50 foot tall robot wouldn't show up at her door step when the next block over gets atomized. Why don't mutants work with scientists to find a way to predict mutations so a kid doesn't accidentally blow up while waiting in line for concert tickets.

Black people were mistreated for the color of their skin. Mutants are mistreated because they pose a very clear and often global threat.

Yeah, well, Claremonts returns to the X-men weren't any good either. The bodymorph and mindcontrol was still there, of course.

>I enjoy it for what it is
And I'm disappointed for what it could've been because this could've been a series that pushed teen superhero team books to a whole new level but instead it decided to pander the lowest common denominator and has burn out all the potential.

You can't declare a war on a group of people based on one person's action.

>mutants are dangerous
Some, not all.

I can when the rest of the group doesn't do anything to prove them differently. We're not talking about a country or a religious group here. We're talking about a people whose entire existence is a threat. We've seen plenty of mutants who simply by the act of hitting puberty can kill those around them. On a mass scale.

And yet no one on their side wants to work with anyone to find a solution that doesn't involve bright costumes and punching.

read for the plot

There was a good period in Claremont's career where the fetishies just took over.

Yeah and it only takes one to destroy a city. It's idiotic to think that every mutant is gonna have Cyclop's control or access to the technology that lets him have said control.

Some kid in fucking Peru could wake up one morning and wipe out the planet because the x-gene is that bullshit. And don't tell me we haven't seen bullshit omegas.

You can tell he just didn't give a single fuck.

>And I'm disappointed for what it could've been because this could've been a series that pushed teen superhero team books to a whole new level
You could say that for any teen superhero team book. Very few of them actually do. At least this own had its own style and identity, which is something that can't be said for many of those books.

Also, for a Gen13 thread, this has very little cheesecake. Step it up, Sup Forums

You could but it holds extra weight for Gen13 because it successfully captured the zeitgeist of the 90s.

Is it just me or did Gen13 honestly always have great company crossovers? Nothing really beats the Superman crossover that consists entirely of Fairchild getting hit on the head and mistakenly thinking she's Supergirl and causing accidents when "her powers don't work right"

remember the story where Grunge is trapped in a comic dimension and meet many characters?

Just read the stuff Warren wrote (one arc in the middle, Grunge: The Movie, Magical Drama Queen Roxy) and then his run a the end of the first series and you've read all the Gen13 stuff that's worth reading.

that was a good one

Warren's run was kind of gently poking fun at that shit though. The opening issue where Fairchild dies of exposure after her costume gets ripped up while fighting in a blizzard, that issue, Fairchild and Rainmaker debating feminist theory while Grunge imagines them in lingerie pillow fighting... that's kind of the point. It was a pop culture/sexy comics critique though obviously not a negative one.

It's more like having your cheesecake and eating it too.

I'm disappointed that Superwoman is Lana because if DC doesn't seem to want to do anything with Gen13 then just put Fairchild into the role and see how it works. I keep hearing "well, DC is totally doing something with them for real" but it's been saying that for five years now and yet nothing.

Having Benes as an artist helps. He's one of the best cheesecake artists of all time.