What was his fucking problem? how could he let his insecurities lead to the destruction of mankind?

what was his fucking problem? how could he let his insecurities lead to the destruction of mankind?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kGMuaXIlckU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

that is the exact opposite of what happened, did you even watch it

Shinji is cute! Cute!

He was too much of a pussy to fuck Asuka.

Is that a real guy or a cartoon? I think it's a cartoon but it almost looks like a real guy.

He literally saved mankind instead of taking the easy way out.

Say what, nigga?

It was the jews that doomed mankind. Shinji was just caught in the middle.
I repeat, the jews.

I guess it's obviously a cartoon. Fuck. I've made yet another stupid post.

>I didn't watch the show

When was the last time you saw another human being?

Listen, I don't want to talk about this any more.

I think we all know why.
Pic related.

to be fair to the plot, piloting the mecha isn't "piloting" it's merging with a LAWL machine spirit.

The shield that protects EVAs are literally the pilot's own sense of individuality.

Putting something that personal out there is pretty traumatic.

sorry, english is not my first language. i meant to say that he thought about doing so, just because he couldn't bear the thought of some people disliking him?

There are 4 separate "canons", all of them being real and a part of the multiverse of suffering that is Eva. In ALL of them Shinji has fucked over mankind, outdoing himself in how spectacularly he can kill everyone in each outing. Its something about humanity suffering across all realities for Ikari's trespassing into God-Science. Even we the viewers suffer, its pottery.

what would you do if you where evenalgion?

On one level, Evangelion is about overcoming personal insecurity to persevere in do-or-die situations where all responsibility for success lies on one individual, a child in fact. If he weren't stressed by these circumstances to the point of perhaps preferring death, it would be both unrealistic and less dramatic.

On another level, Shinji's emotional makeup is partly due to his social environment. His social status is extremely low. His mother is dead. His father is wholly absorbed by his work, and only sees the boy as a means to an end. Shinji has no confidant, his anomie hampers normal relationships and he is later literally isolated from his peers. He more or less correctly feels unloved and unvalued except for his ability to pilot an EVA, a task that would be taxing for an emotionally healthy adult. Nevertheless he is expected to conform to the highest expectaions imagineable, recieving little in the way of acknowledgement in return.

TL;DR if Japanese society doesn't chill the fuck out a little so that their people have time and energy for healthy emotional lives, they're all going to be in a world of shit.

On one level, Evangelion almost seems real. You look at cartoon guys and think: that could be real; is it real?

it's hard to be a person and have responsibilities
that's literally what the show is about

he did tho, asuka was pregnant or something

I distinctly seem to remember the actions of an underground cabal of elites manufacturing WW3, ensuing control of the world post-war and then dabbling in dark forgotten magics to end the world being the actual cause of mankinds destruction.

Funny how people forget that part.

Its so sad, but its true, fucking hell

nah it was a japanese kid that just wanted to stick his dick in a qt3.16 crazy redhead but struggled with being japanese

said redhead is a worthless whore anyway

getting to join with the bluehaired goddess spiritually and sensually was Shinji's best moment in life.

Its ok user everything is going to be alright.

>cartoons posting at me pretending to be real people
I know the difference

Does Asuka has the most satisfactory conclusion/ending of all the characters? she's finally ok with their mother after all the pain she felt.

>Dude I read a synopsis of the show and now know it inside and out!

Fuck the Escapist. They are consistently shit.

No, Asuka has no conclusion at all. She's a plot device, and what you refer to is 100% melodrama with zero character and isn't even her ending/conclusion, that's seen in the final scene. Basically, Asuka is a meme character.

Shinji has by far the most satisfying conclusion and ending, being the centerpieces who achieves understanding and piece. Alongside with Rei, who also does the same but over more episodes and in the final conclusion, defeating Gendo and achieving her lost Godhood.

Gendo also gets a mention here since he gets his comeuppance.

All Shinji wanted from life to be left alone. He chose to pilot to EVA because the people he cared for would get hurt. That was also the reason he rejected Human Instrumentality.

The story was never NGE's strongest points. It was the emotion behind the show. It's the closest the grasp the idea of being depressed

>Isolation
>Loneliness
>Escapism
>Abandonment issues

People around the world obsessing with the story beg to differ.

The story is excellent and believable enough to captivate and convince.

youtube.com/watch?v=kGMuaXIlckU

Her conclusion is slightly less metaphorical than Shinji's, but she solves her attachment issues by realising that her mother is with her in her mind, no matter what she does. Her mother was there in spirit all along, and it's by realising that when someone dies you still have all the good memories and experiences with them left behind. She realises she doesn't need the attention of others, she can be isolated AND have the attention she deserves. She solves her hedgehog's dilemma.

The only difference is her mother's souls is LITERALLY inside EVA-02

>giant robot

Shinji piloted the EVA because he wanted other people to like him, and they praised him when he piloted it. He literally says this multiple times at various breakdowns.

His issue is that he also doesn't like being the centre of attention because it makes others hate him, and he hates himself, so he feels like he doesn't deserve the attention he craves. It's a paradox that's at the core of his character.

>NGE
>believable

You're just an idiot.

Shinji is one of the most beautiful, and truthful characters there is in anime.
If he was a real boy i'd fall in love so fucking hard.
People who doesn't understand his character are either very emotional underdeveloped (just as Shinji himself) or just watch anime for le epic fight scenes and shouldn't be watching Evangelion in the first place.
Just because he's not a badass and he's sensible doesn't make him a bad character.

This. Shinji eternally best girl.

This.

>NGE
>Not believable

>One World Government disguising itself as (((Democracy)))
>People too busy being drunk or wageslaves to realize the world they are living in.
>After a major disaster where billions of people died, people are still continuing their lives
>They show how complex the military and Evangelions work

Literally everyone in the show is emotionally and psychologically damaged in some way. Obviously they're not going to act like normal people. And that was even before all the shit started happening, and it made it even worse. Plus the main characters are 14 so add hormones on top of that.

Are you fucking high?

The characters' traumas are very realistically portrayed. Anno hated kawaii archetypical characters that plagued and still plague anime, so he made the characters respond like real kids would, not your typical shonen hero from Naruto or whatever.

You tell a wimpy 14 year old american kid with deep-seated separation anxiety that they have to pick up this gun and go fight a bear or the world will literally end, and then tell them they have to do it 17 more times and it's not surprising that the pressure cracks them.

No. Asuka herself solves nothing, and the presence or absence of her mother does not and will not solve her issues alone, given that she's guilty of multiple failures as a human being. The hedgehogs dillemma isn't solvable as such, but is a constant issue related to relating to OTHER people, it's the issue of comfortable distance. Don't use terms you don't understand.

Asuka doesn't have a substantial conclusion, that is, "being told something" is an event external to a character. and not internal. Without detailing Asuka's character, concluding it if you will, all you have is an unfinished character. Contrasted with Shinji or Rei, the only two characters with an actual strong conclusion in the series, Asuka comes up short. Asuka's ending is essentially a black hole where overzealous fanboys insert way too much of their own fantasies, and while that may be the intention, it means that there is no conclusion, save for that it ends of course. Putting it simple, it's melodrama.

How is that melodrama in any way?

>Literally everyone in the show is emotionally and psychologically damaged in some way.

Shigeru Aoba was the sanest character of the bunch.

>Never loved anyone

100% sane and /ourguy/

How is it not? It's a singular character, talking to itself, receiving "illumination" from a plot device, with no dialogue or reasoning whatsoever.

Cut the music, and what you're left with is something of so poor quality it could only be found in fan fiction. The drama is paper thin and builds completely and wholly on a single thing, musical direction, the forte of the director and writer the project is associated with. Think of what it actually is:

>my favorite character is by circumstance protected from harm, and out of nothing, is given reprieve and what she lacks in life

This is a device to increase the shock when reality strikes, and she's ripped to pieces. Asuka represents failure in Evangelion for more than one reason, her fantasy and non-accomplishments are rewarded with death, just like in NGE. It's thematically fitting, because no conclusion is precisely what her character gets.

She rejected death and fought with the strength of resolving spiritually her abandonment from his mentally ill mother.
She realizes it's not her fault and values herself as a individual more than a prodigy or a good pilot.
Her demise is incredibly tragic because even she's at last at peace with his mother, she's finally full and emotionally mature at hmthat instant, just to be killed in minutes.

I may agree that it's a little melodramatic, but melodrama is not bad itself, i hate people keep carring that idea, you can give your characters emotionally over the top elements and they still can be true (Mad Men, Gone Girl, etc).

Asuka is driven so far into the depths of her despair, and is forced to confront painful memories she had suppressed. The act is cathartic, and allows her to resolve her issues.

It's a little quick, sure, but it's hardly out of nowhere. She finds a better solution than repressing her memories. Effectively she embraces her mother for who she was, rather than how she was when she died.

I think I understand what you're saying but it's not like it came completely out of nowhere since it was established beforehand that both Angels and Evas have souls. So where did these souls come from? 01 seems to be Yui's soul and 02 is Asuka's mom's soul. So she realizes that this is the case and it raises her morale, allowing her to not only sync with the Eva but to a higher degree than she was able to do before.

The ending is what I'm wondering about though since it seems to show that even through all this stuff (the instrumentality, which I imagine for at least a short time she and Shinji would have been connected through this, plus if you take the series ending as canon she goes through something similar to Shinji) her thoughts about Shinji haven't really changed, though there's little context for her last words to take them with.

God, I love that scene.