Terry Pratchett's Mort has apparently been greenlit as an animated film

Terry Pratchett's Mort has apparently been greenlit as an animated film.

Other urls found in this thread:

wordplayer.com/company/welcome.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If we can't have Christopher Lee back as Death, what's the point?

From Disney or who?

What studio?

probably disney, they had the rights before Pratchett's death and been working on it initially. When he died it switched to Moana.

Looks like a good writter.

The guy who played him in Hogfather did a fine job.

Hopefully things will be good too. Pratchett used to talk about how Mort was the one that Hollywood wanted to adapt badly, but in every talk they wanted to cut out the Death aspect.

Am in agreement. Who will voice death now?

Nah, Disney never had the rights. They WANTED the rights, but the rightsholders told them buy all of Discworld or none of it.

>buy all of Discworld or none of it

How would that work for stuff like the one Watch TV show that's in production?

Probably film rights and TV rights are seperate.

Alright, I'm getting exited.
I find Pratchett's style of writing and humor doesn't really translate well to media, but shit I like his work so hopefully it's good.

There's tons of deep voiced British actors still alive, like Alan Rickm-
Oh

Uhhh, Benedict Cumberbatch?

Ian Richardson? Charles Dance? They were both already in Discworld films.

I think in terms of what to adapt, Mort's the best choice. A lot of the jokes are more dialogue based and it's just the right length for a film.

>but in every talk they wanted to cut out the Death aspect

How would that even work? Even the title means "death."

Probably replace him with some generic spirit or something.

wordplayer.com/company/welcome.html

>Produced by: Rod Brown, Independent Production Company Narrativia, in association with Gooji Limited.

A chance at a good animated Terry Pratchett book?

Just take all of my god damn money.

Death is even my favorite book line, though all of them are great.

Hollywood isnt known for being smart user.

I'd love a big budget version of The Last Hero.
Live action, amimated, doesn't matter as long as its fucking class.

Well, hopefully it goes better than the last animated Pratchett.

Nice! Probably the easiest of his books to make into a film, if I'm going to be honest.

Also one of my favourites.
Though I would adore one on Thief of Time.

>not liking Soul Music

We're more popular than cheeses.

Hey! That man's a skellington!

Ian Richardson died in 2007.

That skellington was never a man

Charles Dance then?

>tfw you finished reading this book a week ago

it's...like pottery

Fuck yeah! My favorite DW book after Reaper Man

You've got a gift, user. Choose your next book wisely.

Cool, one of my favs and actually my first one. Hope its not shit

>if it's successful we could get a sequel that involves reaper man

Go read Small Gods

If its successful we could keep getting Discworld animated cartoons in general.

Reaper man, Thief of Time, Hogfather, maybe even the other branches like The Color of Magic and Guards! Guards!

The Guards series are being turned into a police procedural with some Monty Python guys writing

Wee Free Men is already also being adapted into a film.

Didn't we already have one?

We had Soul Music, Wyrd Sisters for animation, and Hogfather, Color of Magic, and Going Postal for live action.

>Terry Pratchett's Mort
He sure is.

I just want proper adaptations for once.

I think Pratchett also said something about a producer wanting Death to be turned into a villain because apparently Hollywood couldn't accept the idea of Death being a good guy.

You'd think after the Tim Burton craze they'd be all over that.

Pratchett himself would love that joke.

God id kill for a good Watch Series.

Or a good Moist von Lipwig series.

Is only take Mort if I get the whole damn story line.

>Ian Richardson?

Oh user.. He's with Christopher Lee and Alan Rickman.

I'd kind of like to see Laika adapt some of disc world. Ahnk morpork in the style of boxtrolls.

I got a better idea

I know it's almost impossible at this point considering the state of the industry, but I really hope this film is traditionally animated. A pipe dream, I know, but I just can't imagine it any other way.

>From the writer of
I got a feeling that that a lot of Pratchett humour is going to be lost.

It's going to be bittersweet seeing a large-scale adaption without a Pratchett cameo. I hope they add a small side character to pay homage.

I hope they include the dialogue from this page. I don't even remember if this is how it's phrased in the book.
I've always loved it as one of Death's most emotional moments.

Literally what?

terry who?

Fuck off underage.

fuck off back to /lit/

Fuck off back to /LGBT/

And why should I give a fuck?

One of my favorites. Reaperman a close second. Animated is a good route too, better than liveaction with awkward hallowen mask Death.

Just hope it doesn't look like total garbage.

I sincerely hope it isn't fucked up

What's the status on the Watch tv series, anyway?

Death kind of is a villain in the book, although not in a strict sense.
He basically abandons the job which causes shit to happen to Mort. And at the end they fight about it.
He's a villain by negligence.

Thanks, user. The man was my hero as a writer, I was pretty much crushed by his death. Humor is the best way to cope.

Has there ever been a wholly satisfying Pratchet feature film? All of them from my recollection were okay at best.

You mean antagonist

Now that one could be animated. At best by

Why the early ones? I found he really got into his groove with later additions to the various lines. For example, Wyrd Sisters is nowhere near as good as Witches Abroad. And as much as I love witches abroad thematically, Maskerade is way better

>skinny Ysabell

RRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

she was described as skinny in the Light Fantastic but otherwise ree indeed

You can read them out of order (I did), but they really do get better if you see the development of the characters over time. This is particularly true of the Watch stories, with Vimes developing from a cynical drunk to someone who brings out the best in everyone around him while still being a cynic. It can also depend on how much you like the thing being parodied at root - I like Shakespeare but I'm not a fan of musical theatre and the Phantom of the Opera so I much prefer Wyrd Sisters to Maskerade.

Small Gods is my favourite, and as a practising Catholic I'm not sure what that says about me.

I think he's always gotten me humor wise. Not laugh out loud, but still amused. I especially liked it when he worked with Neil Gaiman on Good Omens. I haven't really adhered to a sequential consumption of his books so I can't realistically say that I've been able to see a rise or dip in his quality. It's such a broad little disc he works with that I'm sure I'd be able to read all 46 novels, just not in such short order to say he rose or dipped. It's probably arguable that some books were good, and some weren't as good.

Iirc my first Terry Pratchett book was Thief of Time. Then I got into the plots that revolved around the Watch, even though in the ones I read it increasingly became about Vimes, which I was ok with. I just finished listening to Mort, literally yesterday. I intend to do the same for Reaper Man.

Incidentally, how does Death get away with being treated like the main character in books like Mort, and Thief of Time despite not being the protag? Feels like a tease.

There was also a stop motion animated series based on Truckers.

That's fair. I also adore the character growth across the series, which makes Carpe Jugulum very special to me seeing how far Margat comes

Fuck yes! Do it justice guys!

Then give me City Watch trilogy starring

Dominic West as Sam Vimes
Richard Madden as Captain Carrot
Christopher Eccleston as Nobby Nobbs
Cliff Parisi as Fred Colon
Benedict Cummberbatch as Vetinari

>Incidentally, how does Death get away with being treated like the main character in books like Mort, and Thief of Time despite not being the protag? Feels like a tease.

Because he's the main character of his series of books, even though he's not necessarily the main character of each book, I think.

>Carrot,
>not played by Damian Lewis

If you want some death main character, go read hogfather and reaper man.

Will it ever get the adaption it deserves.

Seriously the Tumblr crowd would eat this up and it's a cool intro into industrial Era Discworld.

I'd have said that Susan was the main character of Hogfather

>Seriously the Tumblr crowd would eat this up
No they wouldn't. It has realistic depictions of women being not perfect people

Not nearly large enough to fit the physical side of the role. But on the other hand, Carrot as a character isn't something Hollywood would ever be able to conceive of, let alone correctly depict.

But it shows that women can be just as incompetent, greedy and self serving as men. Tumblr would hate that.

I don't know, physically fit nice guy with bags of charisma doesn't sound very easy to screw up

>Benedict Cummberbatch as Vetinari
The perfect Vetinari was already cast, don't fuck it up. Charles Dance was amazing in the role.

I don't think Cummberbatch can be subtly intimidating enough for Vetinari, if I had to say someone other than Charles Dance I'd go with Mads Mickelson

And if you think about,when Vimes shows up at the end with the ankh Moorpark army to bail them all out and sage their army they'd probably call it an aggressive act of cis white male imperialism.

>Reaper Man
I already said I was interested in that one.

He's mentioned as practically a giant in the books, with "simplicity" being his most defining character trait. His charisma came from his almost simple-minded directness, dedication, and kindness, but he explicitly wasn't simple-minded, and he frequently seemed almost inhuman in his outlook and approach to problems. I don't think Hollywood would be able to capture any of that effectively, or even conceive of a protagonist like that in the first place.

If they can tolerate that in Steven Universe they can tolerate the best character being a dragon wrangling wife.

>Coming this fall, Rob Snyder is Captain Carrot...

it is not at all how it goes in the book. Just doing dialog
>NO. I CANNOT BE BIDDEN. I CANNOT BE FORCED. I WILL DO ONLY THAT WHICH I KNOW TO BE RIGHT
>YOU DON'T KNOW HOW SORRY THIS MAKES ME.
>Mort: I might.
And then Death laughs and laughs as the grains empty and he turns over the hourglass.
I guess they wanted Death to speak more on both Mort and Ysabell, rather than focusing just on Mort.

Vimes was there the whole time though, and he does emphasize that it's really only Polly and her group that can get anything done. If they don't help him, he has to continue with the stupid war.

I'm a Catholic as well and Small Gods is one of my Discworld books. I guess it is while the book criticizes religious organizations it doesn't really demonize them and says they can be better if their recognize their flaws and improve.

>There will never be a 90s Disney Renaissance Mort film
>You will never hear the Ashman and Menken soundtrack with Christopher Lee singing
>You will never be hyped for the Soul Music musical sequel

Small Gods is absolutely pro-faith. People needs Gods and Gods need people, the problems come about when the Gods forget that, and when the religious organization is about forcing people to serve the faith, when it's meant to service the people with the faith.

James Earl Jones?

I just found out there was one Tiffany aching book that came out after Terry's death. I kind of wish I hadn't considering Granny Weatherwax dies in it. I'd much prefer to imagine these characters are still out there and there was never really a goodbye or ending for them[\spoiler]

Yeeeesssss! I love that one. And it could hit a wide audience of fans so it makes sense

I hope this is good, I watch the BBC Hogfather every Christmas

Hogfather's actually surprisingly great.

Just wish they'd tried harder when casting Nobby. He's not even ugly, he just has a goofy smile.

I want to believe. Neil's American Gods adaptation looks very good, so maybe this time they'll do justice to one of Terry's work too.