Adult Swim 15th birthday

On September 2, 2001, Adult Swim was born, kicking off with a lineup of Home Movies, The Brak Show, Sealab 2021, Space Ghost Coast to Coast, and Cowboy Bebop.

Feel free to about when you were first introduced to AS, favorite memories you have of AS, favorite/least favorite shows, thoughts on current AS, what you predict Adult Swim will do today to celebrate, all that jazz....

Also, Bill Oakley (Mission Hill creator) and Angus Oblong (The Oblongs creator) will both be doing AMAs in the Adult Swim subreddit if anyone is interested in that.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=upDkas0_WpU
reddit.com/r/adultswim/comments/50u49j/hi_im_bill_oakley_from_mission_hill_the_simpsons/?st=islzmu6w&sh=7b8b7354
youtube.com/watch?v=Pkup4zo97E0
youtube.com/watch?v=-NzWtoKldaQ
youtube.com/watch?v=tm33vRmpJSY
youtube.com/watch?v=ln9KPMYEPww
adultswim.com/videos/schedule
reddit.com/r/adultswim/comments/50tmef/fifteen_years/
youtube.com/watch?v=QIVxs9KGfgM
youtube.com/watch?v=NewrZ6ivFcY
youtu.be/PDToHQeouq8?t=38
youtube.com/watch?v=DnzcJypc2GU
youtube.com/watch?v=6yJYL0OzDdE
youtube.com/watch?v=TfadJj4d5K4
adultswim15.blogspot.com/2016/09/2001-first-swim.html
mega.nz/#!9dUVxLrB!CosEwJeQlmc8ZnpUpm7rBbUD0GZaihHVjC_UTHXAFbM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Thread theme of course:
youtube.com/watch?v=upDkas0_WpU

Bill Oakley AMA starting now
reddit.com/r/adultswim/comments/50u49j/hi_im_bill_oakley_from_mission_hill_the_simpsons/?st=islzmu6w&sh=7b8b7354

Dancing is forbidden

Adult Swim didn't really get great until 2003.

At least.

youtube.com/watch?v=Pkup4zo97E0

bring back mission hill, that shit was pure gold

who /weeb/ here?

youtube.com/watch?v=-NzWtoKldaQ
youtube.com/watch?v=tm33vRmpJSY
youtube.com/watch?v=ln9KPMYEPww

I was there. It was great.

Old school ASA was great for the first few years and then by the latter half of the decade it was straight shit. Don't even get me started on the resurrected Toonami.

>Eric Andre's season premiere at midnight several weeks ago was given a TV-PG-L rating instead of TV-MA-LS

>The new Eric Andre episode that should have aired at midnight tonight has been replaced by a repeat of the exact same episode that mistakenly got a TV-PG-L rating

>The first show to ever air on Adult Swim was Home Movies "Director's Cut" episode rated TV-PG-L

>Adult Swim is known for doing unannounced things at midnight like their yearly April Fool's Prank

Am I on to something here? Could Adult Swim do an unannounced airing of their first night's lineup come midnight?

true

adultswim.com/videos/schedule
Huh?

what don't you get?

love this guy

The Eric Andre episode was rerated back to the MA-LS it should've been.

also theres this thing by a reddit account named /u/AdultSwim15Years

I fucking forgot the link reddit.com/r/adultswim/comments/50tmef/fifteen_years/

Hmmmm..... interesting

Ellipses are three dots.

I really wish he would do one of these on cartoon network itself too.

That Champloo promo is still so fucking good. It's like a professionally-made AMV.

youtube.com/watch?v=QIVxs9KGfgM

Nothing like being high at 3 am and watching super milk chan.

You guys want to know how FUCKING OLD I am?

Adult Swim started during my freshman year in college.

So what's the comfiest [as] bumper?

Sophomore year in High School.

I'm barely a normie when it comes to anime, but fuck those promos made me want to be a weeb

wow

youtube.com/watch?v=NewrZ6ivFcY

Hey grandpa!
Isn't it past your bedtime!?

>the old people from the original promos are probably dead

Angus Oblong AMA right now

I can't swear that I watched the VERY first evening of [adult swim] but I distinctly remember watching SGC2C pre-[as] and I definitely watched it pre-9/11.

I'm glad my parents are older and didn't give a shit about me staying up late at the time. I was 10 years old and in 5th grade when [as] kicked off and I would even stay up a little longer to catch Conan if I especially didn't care about school the next day.

I was a regular [asmb]-goer at the time when they decided to change over from anime after midnight on the weekdays for more Family Guy. Things got ugly. Nobody shitposts like they do.

And now it was changed into a shitty reddit knockoff for literally no reason.

Yup. As shit as the ASMB got, it was still a piece of AS history and there was some interesting information about Adult Swim that's now been lost to the ages.

Shit that's pretty depressing. I'm sure there are still some of the OG people there because when you've been there that long and have amassed a fuckhuge post count it's hard to leave your e-penis behind.

They really need to just fix it and start interacting with the community more, like what they used to do.

seriously. that place is even more of a shithole than it was before. The people from Incoherent Babbling and stuff have taken over completely. You can't even talk about Adult Swim.

They could also just ban off-topic discussion completely, there's no reason for it to have that sort of shit when there's no separation of specific topics anymore.

i hope they do something special.

They really should

Adult swims brings back good memories

Like why the fuck are people even talking about off-topic garbage on an [as] forum?
It's like if we started refusing to talk about comics and cartoons on here in favor of discussing something like fast food chains.

SGC2C was great, nothing like it on tv at the time. Crazy that they built an entire empire off that.

Right? It makes no goddamn sense.

Can somebody with a myspleen account please dl this a re-upload somewhere? I'd do it myself, but torrents are blocked on my campus internet. I just want everyone to share in the nostalgia.

Someone please do this. I would love to see adult swims first night.

Not THE first night, but one of the first. I think it's one of the first 10 broadcasts.

[adult swim] may contain mature material some viewers may not find suitable

Fuck. I was in middle school during the first years of AS. If I feel old, how fucked are you?

I remember when they used to show that giant "Parental Advisory Explicit Content" logo and then say either "not suitable for viewers under the age of 14/17" depending on the time of night.

It’s crazy how downhill Adult Swim's schedule has gone since the turn of the decade

For example, in December of 2008, when Adult Swim only broadcast seven hours a night, this is what their schedule included (* denotes series in production or airing new episodes that year):

You had Moral Orel*, The Boondocks*, Aqua Teen*, Robot Chicken*, Superjail*, Frisky Dingo*, Squidbillies*, Metalacolypse*, Xavier: Renegade Angel*, The Drinky Crow Show*, Tim and Eric Awesome Show: Great Job*, Sealab 2021, Stroker and Hoop, Tom Goes to the Mayor, Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law, Home Movies, Mission Hill, Clerks: the Animated Series, Minoriteam, and Lucy Daughter of the Devil all in regular rotation, with new acquisitions King of the Hill and The PJs joining the lineup the first week of 2009. Outside of Adult Swim action, you also had The Big O and Inuyasha airing late night reruns on weekdays.

And Seth McFarlane shows (American Dad and Family Guy) only aired in reruns in the 11 PM hour Monday-Thursday with new episodes on Sundays.

Today, Adult Swim has expanded to 10 hours a night, with 7 of them devoted to FOX reruns (American Dad, The Cleveland Show, King of the Hill, Family Guy, Bob's Burgers).

The only originals that air during the week are doubled up reruns of Robot Chicken, Aqua Teen, and Squidbillies that form a 90 minute block after midnight (of which the Robot Chicken episodes getting second rerun slot later in the night). The Eric Andre Show, MDE: World Peace, Squidbillies, and Brad Neely's new show, are the only originals currently in production and/or airing new episodes on either Friday or Sunday. The only other AS originals that get any airtime are Rick and Morty and Mike Tyson Mysteries.

So what do you guys think Adult Swim is going to do to celebrate?

The same exact thing they did this April Fool's.

Where did it all go so wrong?

Shortly after CN City died.
The comfy died on Cartoon Network and then the stench of death started to overtake [as] too, but slowly.

:(

Yeah, AS didn't quite go full shit until about 5 years ago.

NOOOOOTHHINGGGGG

Old School ASA was also just as bad because it was reruns of the same fucking thing. Drop the damn nostalgia. Wolf's Rain was probably one of the better "newer" shows ASA ran, when people got tired of reruns of Cowboy Bebop and Char's Counterattack.

I never dreamed I'd be an Aqua Teen,

Thirteen seasons, what did it mean?

The "No Eating in the Pool" bumper.
youtu.be/PDToHQeouq8?t=38

Fuck man, I remember the old synth voiceovers they did for the anime promos and bumpers.
youtube.com/watch?v=DnzcJypc2GU

>Every saturday night
goddamn instant nostalgia

Remember when Toonami was on every single day of the week? Remember when miguzi happened and shoved it into a weekend slot? Shit pissed me off as a kid so badly.

youtube.com/watch?v=6yJYL0OzDdE

shame. Adult Swim was doing pretty good in june.

Weekdays went like this
12:00 - Robot
12:15 - Mike Tyson (later Mr. Pickles)
12:30 - Aqua
12:45 - Squid
1:00 - Tim and Eric (later Eric Andre)
1:15 - Check it Out (later Tim and Eric, almost Tom Goes to the Mayor, and again later Robot Chicken)

Saturday evening's schedule was a rating failure but it was still cool:
8:00 - DBZ Kai
8:30 - Aqua Teen x2
9:00 - Rick and Morty
9:30 - Cleveland
10:00 - AD
10:30 - FG
11:00 - FG
11:30 - Toonami

and Sundays went like this:
11:00 - Rick and Morty
11:30 - Robot Chicken (later new Squids)
11:45 - New Mike Tyson (later new Brad Neely)
12:00 - Mr Pickles (later Mike Tyson Mysteries)
12:15 - Aqua Unit Patrol Squad 1 (later Mr. Pickles)
12:30 - China IL (later Metalocalypse and Superjail)

It's amazing how quick it nosedived. At least Home Movies is back next week. Plus apparently Birdman, Space Ghost, etc are supposed to be in some "The Splat" like block yet to be announced, according to some leak on /r/adultswim by the guy who posted the HD remaster of Home Movies

Here's hoping they spent their effort usually given for April Fools on tonight's schedule

Then Miguzi was dropped because who fucking wants to watch 5heads talk about computers? Or the fact that Totally Spies was just a show to shove as many fetishes as they could. Also Toonami had the better promos.
youtube.com/watch?v=TfadJj4d5K4

Yeah, wtf happened with TGGTM? And shame they pulled AT from Saturday nights.

I really hope they have something special planned for us, because honestly, with a few diversions here and there, Adult Swim's scheduling has gotten so fucking strict and homogenous not only in the past 5 or so years, but in the past few years alone.

Seems like Adult Swim has been reluctant on airing old shows outside of 4am and Aqua Teen solely because they look like shit in HD. It's not exactly because it's a SD show, it's because it looks like shit with the way Turner digitized the early programs in 2008. They used old broadcast tapes rather than the raw footage, so there was tons of problems with shitty looking colors, audio compression, ghosting, and all that. When the HD Home Movies stuff was leaked, the leaker also said Aqua Teen was being remastered in HD and Space Ghost, Birdman, Sealab, and S1 of Home Movies were getting redigitized so they dont look bad (ESPECIALLY Home Movies, the Hulu version looks awful compared to the DVD). Cant remaster them in HD because they either dont have the animation cells/files, but AS is apparently gonna stop stretching them, similar to what they do with early Eric Andre and DBZ Kai

The HD Home Movies stuff actually looked pretty fucking good too, I think you could see more of the background details as well that you wouldn't have been able to see in 4:3

Yeah I'd heard about that.
>ESPECIALLY Home Movies, the Hulu version looks awful compared to the DVD
Fuck I thought I was the only one who noticed that. What the hell did they do?

>but AS is apparently gonna stop stretching them, similar to what they do with early Eric Andre and DBZ Kai
Thank god. Stretch-o-vision + limited computer animation + 480p picture = fucking horrible to watch

I remember seeing the first promo for Adult Swim perhaps during June Bugs or sometime late at night on Cartoon Network.

I might not have watched the full lineup that first night (I recall catching Cowboy Bebop halfway through its first run), but I've been there for many of its series premieres: ATHF, Metalocalypse, Inuyasha, Sealab, Code Geass, GITS.

I currently own nearly all of the AS original DVDs and BDs, 68 in all. I plan to get the others I do not have, even though WB seems to no longer be releasing other than VB and Rick and Morty now.

Still, Adult Swim has given me some of my favorite television memories as well as great music and great times on their boards. I hope some new and wonderful memories are to come in the next fifteen years.

Adult Swim. ALL KIDS OUTTA THE POOL!

I loved that throwback block they did with the old bumpers back in like 2008, but apparently not enough people cared to watch it. Shame shame shame.

>that feel when 18 and didn't get to experience it

Why was early [as] so comfy?

>Cleveland show

Original line up will start now right?

I really fucking wish. I hate the cleveland show with a passion. If anything it would be at 10, but midnight is the most likely answer like April Fools pranks

Wish they'd play Baby Blues, too. I remember watching it a lot when it first came to AS.

And I love me some Wanda.

Holy fuckkkkkkkk I vividly remember seeing this shit but had fucking forgotten about it completely. This type of shit was always fucking fantastic. Idk who they got to do their promos but dude was fucking talented.

adultswim15.blogspot.com/2016/09/2001-first-swim.html

it was before they had any advertisers looking at late night time slots. Especially on fucking kids networks. When they dropped the perfect stoner TV that somehow also appealed to little middle schoolers like myself it was because they literally didn't give a fuck and had to fill time for cheap.

The guy talking is Optimus Prime.
Dunno who wrote it.

>underground musicians constantly trying to get their name out there and [as] was a good way to do that so we got to hear lots of comfy songs
>comfy bumpers
>was always experimenting with different shows
>quality taste in anime

>screenplay - Wamu!
Holy shit how have I never noticed this before.

>Nothing like being high at 3 am and watching super milk chan
Oh that's why...

>they just got some intern to right this up instead of airing anything special

I hope they prove me wrong at midnight but sitting through 4 hours of FOX reruns sucks

>but sitting through 4 hours of FOX reruns sucks
I know. Wasn't the expansion supposed to be about giving AS originals primetime exposure? What a load of shit that was...

Here's a broadcast from 1-27-2002:
mega.nz/#!9dUVxLrB!CosEwJeQlmc8ZnpUpm7rBbUD0GZaihHVjC_UTHXAFbM

password "ALLkidsOUTofTHEpool"

Let's reminisce about the glory days as we wait and see if Adult Swim will treat us to any surprises tonight

it'll take me about 10 minutes

They had to have had some music producers in on it. That Champloo promo was scratched and cut incredibly well.

please somebody

that aint even close to being official

Anybody from Latin America?
I used to watch it when I was younger and it was great, it ran only on the weekends, CN used to run the same episode of Scooby-Doo, then it would cut at some weird time during the episode and Adult Swim would start.
I don't know how it is now since I left my country when I was around 13.

Are they showing anything special? I don't feel like sitting through shitty Mcfarlane shows.

>tfw 18 and have fond memories of '05 era AS/CN