I would like to watch supernatural, but before i want to hear what you think of it

i would like to watch supernatural, but before i want to hear what you think of it.

is it a good show or a shit show?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=u1EzU9sLQ6I
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

don't go into it expecting it to be super deep or well acted or anything but it's comfy

It's comfykino

first few seasons are legit good, drops off a bit after that but if you've gone that far you're probably strapped in for the ride already.

main plot ends at the end of season 5, then they just do random shit each season that ranges from decent to pants on head retarded.

It's a show for homos.

Seasons 1-5 are top tier bro drama kino. The show overall is comfy as hell and definitely worth a watch.
>t. someone who has been watching since 2005

It is a good 'shitshow'

Vote from here too for Season 1-5. After Swang Song just let it go and be happy that you enjoyed some kino. You will only ruin that feeling if you continue with the journey and see all the nonsense story arcs and budget cuts and so on.

season 1-3 is popcorn kino

on 12 seasons the main plot ends in the first 5?
that's kinda weird. you mean that from the 6th till now is just stand alone stories with no plot?

1st season is tolerable, but still in pilots-ville where it's campy and doesn't know where it's going, but it's starting to grow and find itself.

Seasons 2-5 it's as good as television gets. Goal-driven over-arching plots that last several seasons with real stakes where important family die and the consequences are real, three-dimensional characters with personalities and motivations and childhood histories and flaws, interesting plot twists and developments as the stakes get higher and higher (little monsters, then vampires/werewolves level shit, then demons from hell, then angels from heaven, horsemen of apocalypse, satan himself)

Then it jumps the shark, they have nowhere to take it and 6+ more lifeless seasons where the characters have no reason to be any different people, but they need drama so they just bicker and fight and soap opera around. The enemies are totally unimportant and meaningless considering they already beat Satan and every new enemy is a bigger disappointment) Essentially the show is only kept from the cancellation it very badly needs by how many fangirls of homo-erotic brother+brother shippings watch the show. It even literally had an episode where they find homo fanfiction written about themselves and they tell the camera "they know we're brothers, right?! What the fuck"
... and they still kept it on the air for exactly those people, because profits are more important than being an author with any dignity whatsoever.

watch up until angels get introduced

Is it worth attempting on Netflix?

I've heard the soundtrack/music is all swapped out for rights-free trash cuz they couldn't keep the licenses - and that music is an important part of the show.

Doesn't seem worth starting if true desu

Seasons to watch
>1,2,3,4,5,11,12

Seasons to skip
>6,7,8,9,10

I stopped after season 1. They went too far too fast. Now you have the strongest demon ever that commands armies and can take over pretty much anyone at any time by himself or his minions. Oh here's a gun that can kill anything in the universe. It's just all too much for season 1 of a show so I can't watch the rest.

If that's the case I hadn't noticed. A month ago I watched the episode with knockin on heavens door. Literally every season premiere starts with carry on my wayward son so that should be easy to check

I never watched the current (?) Season, the season after God and his sister.
I'm wondering if It's a step up or not?

Everything from 1 to 5 ends up being about a big bad, then they deal with him.
After that it's about seasonal threats.

I looked it up. Netflix does change the music, and the music is one of only two or three good things about the entire show.

Literally treating paying customers worse than people who pirate torrents of the show with un-butchered music.

1-5 are top-tier genre TV. Absolutely worth watching.
You can watch 6-12 if you really fall in love with the characters. Some seasonal plots are better than others, but they never forget how to make a great Monster-of-the-Week episode. Plus they expand the world greatly, there are multiple good recurring characters from the later seasons.
12 was the best season we've had in ages. The writing was smarter and tighter and they addressed a lot of loose threads from messier early seasons. I still love the show desu.

6-12 it's a "I dunno find whatever shit to do to kill the time"... but with only 3 note-worthy characters (two grumpy white 20-30something male-models and one monotone/quirky white 30-something male-model) it does not have the legs to try and be a slice-of-life variety hour like Futurama or The Simpsons.

It entirely lacks a healthy ensemble cast. Particularly since they killed off one or two of the only promising ones in S1-5, leaving them with absolutely nothing to work with for 6+

Okay so if I want to invest in this show I have to torrent some season packs.

...not gonna lie, lowering my enthusiasm for trying it out spoiled as that is

was the new season worth anything? I don't remember anyone talking about it.

Why did all the monsters apart from season one's wendigo and the scarecrow thing have to be humans with different colored/glowing eyes?
does the show really lack that much of a budget?
also why are literally all the gods with the exception of the judge god just flesh eating monsters?

>does the show really lack that much of a budget?

As I understand it, yes. They've basically had shit money the whole time.

I think the show was like 4-10th place among its own networks shows, and its network was like 4-10th place among all networks.

So it has a budget not even 1/10th as much as something like Game of Thrones. Probably 1/100th. Also why it's not cancelled already, it can't be expensive to have two no-name-stars stand around looking cute while they photoshop glowing eyes on random humans and wear vampire-fang-sets. They don't have to get very many viewers to turn a profit (though it isn't huge)

For the budget issue: It is a show on The CW
For the monsters: They just kind of got pigeonholed into demons and angels being everywhere and they canonically have human vessels (budget likely has everything to do with this). Only pagan gods do the eating people thing, and they show up pretty rarely.

Supernatural is the CW's rock. It has a hugely dedicated audience and regularly pulls in a .6-7, which is above the CW's scripted average. It beats all of their shows that aren't DC properties and is relatively inexpensive to make.

Supernatural got a syndication deal with TNT when it was in SEASON 4. They re-up a new deal with Netflix every few years. The show is also syndicated to over half the fucking world on various foreign networks. This is all free money, and for every new episode they make even more.

There's a reason why the head of the CW has said this show will keep on going until Jared and Jensen want to stop. It's been around since 2005 and I'm sure at times it is what has kept the CW afloat. Supernatural is low-key one of the most valuable products on television, maybe the most when compared to what it costs to make.

Oh, thanks.

Whats needed desperately is a season where they DO NOT win. Some sort of supernatural Cataclysm fucks the world entire and then a final season of them simply reverting to what they do best. Driving across a ruined America, killing monsters and trying to help people.

Worst thing is it's tied Jensen down to one thing. He could have been a great Action Movie guy.

I thought My Bloody Valentine was pretty good. And I agree with you. But he's happy and he's made his own choices, so whatever.

The moment they do that, they'll change the series. Changes are risky and often definite, they won't risk changing something that works so well unless they really have to jump that shark to keep it alive

They basically end up having too overpowered beings/monsters. In the later season they essentially end up having to play a balancing game and trying to one up their overpowered monster with another.

Plot is still there, but you get the sense that the writers are running out of monsters to include in the story, and them trying to stretch out the already thin story arc they have for that season.

Nah just torrent it. Music plays a big part of the show.

They could do it for one series, then TURBO GOD, could swoop down and say a witty pun as he changes history.

This. I don't necessarily think an apocalypse season would be great, but Supernatural operates with the same rules about canon as Doctor Who.

Top Tier episode.

Spent half the season budget on it but fine.

>they had shit money
Part of why the show will be crap for each year to come.

They got rid of Jo Harvelle (hot blonde teen girl Hunter), Ruby (the hot blonde demon girl) and Bela (the hot british cat-burglar) for "budgetary reasons" in the early seasons.

And because the show only makes any profit because of the two brothers, the audience knows there is no danger at all of either of them dying for more than a week or two. Which means to create even minor "tension" they gotta invent a new character that week that they will then kill off in the next few episodes, completely predictably.

Essentially, the writer has chosen a formula which is guaranteed to suck. If instead one or both of the two brothers had permanently died at the end of season 5 during the defeat of Lucifer and that was the end of the show, it would have been good.
But they are death-proof, so the show tries to be dramatic but can't ever be dramatic. It's like if at the end of Hamlet or Romeo/Juliet the actors get up "Lol I was just pretending to be dead, I drank grape juice, hey let's have fun antics at this castle for 5 more seasons, I don't want to be off the air"
Groan.jpeg

Bela was cut out because of the writer's strike. Also Ruby 2.0 was hotter than the first one.

Seasons 11 and 12 have gotten over the stupid "write melodrama between the brothers" syndrome and were actually pretty good.

Ruby 2.0 was ugly as fuck. Her plastic surgery lips are seriously fucked up.

First five seasons are good, especially the first two.

I can't decide who is uglier, ruby 2.0 or Bruce Jenner post-tranny-operation.

>young actor with good looks and not terrible job, could have married so many hot girls, instead he gets quasi-modo

>Using an unflattering picture from 10 years after her character was written out

It's almost as if women age, have kids, and make bad cosmetic surgery decisions.

she had her plastic surgery lips in the show, I had to skip forward 15 minutes whenever it was a scene of her to save my stomach.

Isn't CW the network that had "The Outsiders"?
Didn't that have really great ratings and viewership as well? Why did they cancel it?

Post your Supernatural waifu
For me it's Anna
Dean deserved happiness

It's indeed comfy.

The Leviathan season is shit.

I was pleased when they killed off Felicia Day.

Oh, I remember enjoying the tears of Tumblrinas and such when she died. Felt good, nigga

She was the epitome of all the fan girl nonsense that troubles the show. Perhaps bringing her into murder her was a huge trolling on their part.

her or joe are the best of series

I feel like the post-season 5 grumbling is unwarranted. Season 6 is the only really bad season. I liked the seasons with the Leviathans and the Mark of Cain

its really because 1-5 was an arc where everything fit together, the rest have been 1 seasons arcs which are shit

Seasons 9 and 10 were connected together because of the Mark of Cain, same for Seasons 11 and 12 because of Amara & Lucifer

I disliked the storyline with Metatron and the angel tablet the most

Souless Sam is terrible.

Yeah that's a big reason why I hated season 6, I also hated season 8 because all that shit with the tablets was boring as fuck

ruby 1.0

crowley vs that knight of hell should have been 3 seasons, and they should stop bringing lucifer back just to be a weak shit cunt, in season 5 he was a god doing god cult shit, now he's just a bitch

youtube.com/watch?v=u1EzU9sLQ6I

KINO
I
N
O

So Lucifer came back? How the fuck did they beat him this time?

magic egg, literally

and crowleys mother saying some words another time iirc

Lucifer fucked some woman and got her pregnant with his son; while in the womb the child made a portal to another universe manifest. The Winchesters managed to trap him in that universe but their mother got trapped there with Lucifer too. (Yeah also their mother was resurrected at the end of season 11 by God's sister)

Lucifer killed Cas though

Killing off Death was one of the biggest mistakes in the series. Dear god, aside from Timothy Olyphant the entire Mark of Cain saga is abject garbage.

>magic egg

Explain.

some shit the men of letters gave them, it was literally a magic egg, sam pointed it at him and sucked him up

Is Lucifer's son the new big bad?

You mean Timothy Omundson

It didn't suck him up, it expels angels from their vessels

He just appeared at the end of season 12, so he's probably going to be the main storyline for season 13. He's a newborn child so he could be good or bad depending on how he's raised I get

same shit it was a magic egg that got rid of lucifer

>Show ignoring that they had the literal antichrist already
REEEE

just like season 5 kid who turned cas into a doll am i right

jk they'll completely forget about the plotline and do some alien shit

When was that?

one off episode in like season 4 or something. Some demon knocked up a midwestern lady and due to the apocalypse her 5 year old half demon kid starts getting god powers and the episode deals with that.
He wasn't technically the son of Lucifer but they say in concrete terms he is the antichrist.

Why not casting Jensen's wife as Mother Earth or something

the first two seasons are kino, even after that the show is good until season 5 after that become shit.

They really need to get rid of Crowley and Castiel.

Both of them died in season 12

I'm at Season 5.

I was told going in that the first 3 seasons were good, and everything else was bullshit with demons and there were no other monsters.

That hasn't really turned out to be true, only little less than half of the episodes are about demons, and those are the plot episodes. Plenty of monster hunting continues to happen.

Plenty of joke episodes and self referential humor, and they actually do it really well.

If you like parts of Star Trek where they encounter a new threat and need to come up with a way to beat it, you'll like it. If you like the last 20 minutes of a horror movie where they know how to beat a monster and are hunting it instead, you'll like it.

Really, the only flaw is that it gets somewhat routine in that they set up an obvious plot/villain with certain evidence, and then always it's something else. Oh yes, and it suffers from the "Characters have to make dumb choices to advance the plot" that all long running shows have.

For how long?

crowley died permanently, his actor confirmed he's not coming back

cas will probably come back though

is Mark Sheppard going to actually do anything worthwhile now?

>8,9 and 10
Some of the most kino moments and episodes appear in these seasons. Don't skip them.

The series can't seem to keep it's canon intact. Killing death or at least not letting people die when 'their times up', was meant to cause chaos. It's over a season since death got shanked by his own scythe, so does that even mean anything?

Everything is about angel blades, demons apparently forget they can use force choke/grab, demons in general are joke monsters after S5.

The first story arc, which is like seasons 1-3 is the best Supernatural ever gets and is definitely worth watching. After that though, it fucking sucks save a few episodes here and there.