Why aren't the Germans making more cartoons...

Why aren't the Germans making more cartoons? They have proven several times that they can make good cartoons with things like Felidae, Benjamin Blümchen, Wunschpunsch and other. So why is German next to irrelevant in the cartoon industry?

Also, German cartoon thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RAsgOhQvvcE
youtube.com/watch?v=_7RPML9vBOk
youtube.com/watch?v=TwI2BrzexvQ
youtube.com/watch?v=o0kGG0Zt9tQ
vimeo.com/124313553
youtube.com/watch?v=MHnX-9QgZxo
youtube.com/watch?v=r9_PVDOXvao
youtube.com/watch?v=NJe-CdWsICY
youtube.com/watch?v=YsSV73YuxPA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Don't forget Dingo Pictures, the makers of such masterpieces like Animal Soccer World or Mouse Police
Our revenge for losing in WW2.

Because Germans and their fat ass current "fuhrer", are occupied how to fuck up Europe again, not how to make cartoons.

German language is harsh and weird sounding

Also because Germans are autistic

The French make cartoons because they're huge Weebos, like really big pathetic weebos you know.

Short answer is that they collectively disdain comics and cartoons and illustrating children's books pays a lot better and gets you actual respect.

*tips fedora*

German youth hates cartoons, they only care about anime.

So why is German next to irrelevant in the cartoon industry?

why is German next to irrelevant in the Movie industry?

Money isn't everything. They trow money on every movie project that is at least to some percentage made in Germany. But they don't know how to support creative people or focus creative people on one place. There are two german movies art house crap and mindless comedy (Below Adam Sandler tier). Something smart but fun isn't even a concept there. Germans have some good comic writers but they will never get a budget for a movie and if they do then there is no infrastructure to make it any good. Making movies is an art AND a craft.

>why is German next to irrelevant in the Movie industry?

Germany has a pretty long film history. On their own and influentially globally.

because the last Werner movie was a huge flop

>They trow money on every movie project that is at least to some percentage made in Germany.

That stopped years ago, shortly after Uwe Boll made a business out of exploiting the system for a while. And even when it was still in place, the idea was that dollarinos would be spent at whichever location they'd use as sets rather than Germany being represented in the movies.

>There are two german movies art house crap and mindless comedy (Below Adam Sandler tier)
Oh come on, please. Anyone who isn't Sandler is genetically incapable of sinking that low, that's a scientifically established fact. Plus the most recent successful homegrown movies I remember were romantic comedies.

You're writing in another Germanic language you know

Literally no industry because it's not subsidized

A) Because in the eyes of the german public, comics and cartoons are on an even lower tier of "just for kids" than in other countries and hardly considered "art".
B) Because there's not much money in it, or let's say "real movies" are cheaper to make and easier to reap profits from (The private industry rather produces trash, which costs nothing (except for the dignity of the viewer)), whereas the public channels have "higher standards" than cartoons, they rather produce educational stuff than entertainment*.
C) Because there's not much money in it and it's hardly considered "art", there's very few people actually trying to do something differently than "saturday morning cartoons" and german "saturday morning cartoons" are usually aimed at at kids even younger than the audience of "Benjamin Blümchen".

*and I give that: They are pretty good at that, "Die Sendung mit der Maus", aimed at 6+ year olds, often beats "edutainment" trash of the private channels, but it's not really something for Sup Forums.

And yet the Russians made more than enough cartoons

Didn't they used to make some animation for the Sendung mit der Maus at least?

It's true though. 9 out of 10 German movies are comedies or romantic comedies. And TV shows are mostly crime ones.

Because they prefer making cars and precision tools?

I don't know, I was wondering this too, especially because they make some pretty good TV series now and then. I remember watching some show about ketchup eating vampires as a kid, but now that I've watched a few clips of it, it looks wonky as hell.

About half of each episode is animated.

We also had some funny animated movies back in the 90s. In case Werner rings any bells.

In the 1920s maybe.

>Plus the most recent successful homegrown movies I remember were romantic comedies.

I don't like these movies but honestly I didn't watch them.

At least they made one good thing. Although I believe it was a coproduction with Italy.

The Mole?

Isn't this Polish?

I think the first "Werner"-Movie (an anthology film with some epsidodes of Werner's live) had some really awesome stuff, the only flaw was: It started with the best part, and got really medicore towards the end.

The other movies were medicore at best.

>Wunschpunsch

Shit, that was pretty dope.
Really fucked up for a kids cartoon though.

The mole is/was featured in quite a lot of episodes, I thought it was part of the series. The "steady" cast is shown in current picture, but they're more filler, than actual characters.

>hardly any german cartoons
>german manga scene died circa 2005
>german comic scene can't even compare to franco belgian
>most german weebs only know entry level shit and pokemon
>SHITASTIC dubs, for everything media

still, imported comics and manga tho. plus paperinik.
we're also probably the third most autistic pokemon fanbase globally.

Krtek is Czech.

Pretty good music for the most part though

>why is German next to irrelevant in the Movie industry?

Germany makes movies all the time but they usually don't get released internationally anymore.
Which is a good thing because they're all fucking horrible.

My bad.

>tfw you will never experience coming home from school and watching anime for 5 hours straight on RTL2 ever again

What do kids even watch anymore these days?

Because "real" movies are cheaper and "toons are for kids". Even stuff that would lend itself to be a cartoon, get's a "real" movie, with some CGI thrown in.

/fit/kraut&loli might know something, maybe we should ask them

Take Sweden. They have 1/8 of the population but produce better movies.

Another weird thing is the public tv channels. In theory they are one of the richest channels on earth but they rarely make any good cartoons/movies.

That one DID get an animated movie made out of it though.

Since when does Sweden make good movies? No honestly, I have never heard about their cineastic output

>it's a Peter Lustig gets replaced by some faggot nobody and eventually dies episode

We did, we even had adaptions of German comics (even live-action) for adults which is not something that would happen now.

Based on a book by Michael Ende

Too bad taht one autistic German video got deleted.

wasn't seventh seal from sweden?

The market football- scene is glorious.
I remember being out of breath from laughing when watching it the first time.

Because Germans aren't funny

They don't
Or at least not unsupervised.

Most parents nowadays record what their children should watch beforehand

My bad, I meant recent output. Of course Bergman exists.

Don't forget that, for whatever reason, Germany has a shitton of furries. I'd take France's extreme weebs over them anytime.

Wow, didn't know about this. Google helps :)

If only we could start to round them up

I don't know if any of these movies are good. I watched the first and second one in cinema but as far as I remember was it 90% gross out humor with a funny northern accent. It probably doesn't hold up.

Yep that scene left me breathless as well. And since it was so hard to top, it's just downhill from there.

youtube.com/watch?v=RAsgOhQvvcE

(sorry could only find this washed quaility)

You can't work with funny.

Just like all of Germany's best endeavours.

Also Italo-disco.

Which, when exported into Japan, mutated into Eurobeat.

The Axis isn't that bad when you take out all the killing.

>have german mother
>try to see what german has in areas I like ( Sup Forums sci-fi, Sup Forums, films, /tg/, etc)
>it's all shit, or completely underdeveloped
>all my german relatives are nice anyway, my mum's cousin gave me a pirated copy of Wolfenstein 3D when I was young

Half thruth. Germans can probably do Wakfu-like humor and that's good enough for a kids show.

>Wunschpunsch

Thread fuckin' theme
youtube.com/watch?v=_7RPML9vBOk

>Sup Forums
German games aren't bad the are just niche games. Yes, there are non-simulation games.

This looks fucking great!

yea, I like Daedalic's stuff and they're expanding outside just point&click.

Other studios are "indie" (2d platformery stuff).

Crytek is probably the standout in terms of AAA stuff.

I miss the old BlueByte before they got consumed by Ubisoft (I still like Ubisoft more than EA or Activition mind you)

Battle Isle was my jam.

The football scenes are the best scenes in the first and fourth movie.

Gerner Werner best song
youtube.com/watch?v=TwI2BrzexvQ

>It's a based Peter explains knights and sheeeit and exorcises a ghost of his ancestor by playing dope riffs on a lute episode

youtube.com/watch?v=o0kGG0Zt9tQ

From what I heard, German government and companies aren't keen on funding cartoons

wtf, wrong pic.

I liked the old Gothic games (1+2) and die Siedler(before the scifi games).

But all these series turned bad.

Gothic/Risen, Sacred say hi.

nigga hayao was inspired by fench animators

vimeo.com/124313553

Sacred was fun but the most imba game ever.

Gothic 1 was cool with the NPCs going places, etc, and I think it did that better than Morrowind which was from around the same time and claimed the same idea.

but fuck the combat. I got completely raped by 6 skeletons at some point, but could only hit one at a time... and my keyboard couldn't handle me pressing the amount of key I needs to move and block and attack smoothly

I have Gothic 2 on GOG, but haven't played it yet.

>something smart but fun
>what is Toni Erdmann?
Educate yourself.

>no colored people in the picture
Nice to see this for a change.

They're slightly pink, sorry to disappoint you.

Mage ftw. 1 fireball one orc. 2 fireballs one elite orc.

The little ghost goes all black, so ... :)

The handiwork on this is still pretty good, it's just not the norm to see cartoons aimed at people older than 8 made in germany. OTOH Werner had 3 sequels (same quality of handiwork, humour was always of very mixed quality).

Oh, I remebered, Derrick the cartoon. It was poking a little fun at a totally humorless (real film) crime series and even made it to the cinema:
youtube.com/watch?v=MHnX-9QgZxo

Werner actually had 4 sequels made, but I can't blame you for foregetting the most recent installment.
It was the point where the Song "Immer noch besser als ein Kolbenfresser" (everything's better than a piston seizure) stopped being true. A piston seizure would be a blessing compared to that... thing.
youtube.com/watch?v=r9_PVDOXvao

You'd think there would be at least one furry show.

germany does have some nice dogs

also, wtf UK is almost as bad

This was nice.

Fuck, Mussolini used to have a weird chin.

And Adolf has girly tiny hands

Let's plays on YouTube.

I think the funniest thing about that map is how the furries almost map out the old pre-WWI Germany. Old Prussia is gone, but it clearly left behind a legacy.

>sci-fi
>underdeveloped

Nigga, Perry Rhodan is shit popular globally.

>popular

Nope. 55 years of pulp fics and nobody outside of Germany cares.

Raumpatroullie Orion is cult though. Apart from the obvious simple sets with household appliances as the ship's bridge's components, which are part of its charme and cult status though, it also for its age holds up really well.

youtube.com/watch?v=NJe-CdWsICY

The show was popular back then but they only made a few eps because reasons. This happens when you have only one channel and people watch everything anyways.

I don't know German but for some reason I watched all of that and it was comfy as fuck.

A general observation - German cartoons and kid fiction are devoid of deeper emotion and especially conflict. This cripples them tremendously and is the aftermath of Allied occupation.

Also Merkel must die.

Sach ma, is dat uns Udo? Haben die Yuri nen Wischmopp aufgesetzt?

The power of Peter Lustig. He was our Mr. Rogers.

Doesn't stop Sup Forums from wanting to do sexy things with German Vampire girl

no one's financing it and there aren't many cartoonists here.

they draw mangas now
no seriously

Olaf Encke is one of my favorite animators.

youtube.com/watch?v=YsSV73YuxPA

Das Kleine Arschloch cartoon exists but it was horrible.
I read all the comic books so I can at least compare

Holy fuck, this is great.

As a german guy I say that there are german movies, but if they aren't about Hitler or the cold war, they normally never have any internation success. Cartoons are mostly imported and because of the good dubs, there is no real need for german cartoons.