This is the greatest spider-man adaptation ever made, and one of the greatest animated series of all time, discuss

This is the greatest spider-man adaptation ever made, and one of the greatest animated series of all time, discuss

It was the greatest Spider-man adaptation ever made up until Spectacular Spider-man

>greatest spider-man adaptation ever made
Top 2
>greatest animated series of all time
not even top 10

I never got this, I recently binged all of the 1994 series, then watched Spectacular Spider-man right afterwards, and it's so much worse than the 1994 series. The only thing it got right was how they represented Peter Parker

the last 2-3 episodes, and the end were bad, but overall great show, better than spectacular

Spectacular is better imo if you don't take nostalgia points into account. If you do, this is definitely superior. I'll never forget how awesome Felicia was.

As a hardcore Spiderman reader first and cartoon watcher 2nd (not even big on it), I find the 1994 Fox series is a lot closer to the 60s and 70s stuff that Marvel was doing with Spiderman at it's core. I also give them credit for jumping into more modern concepts that were happening in those early 90s too.

It was paced well, voiced well and characters were pretty spot on

If I had one complaint, the animation at times was a little budgeted and weak, like it suffered from "lag" at times.

Otherwise, I do agree with many here, it is the best Spiderman adaptation in relation to the source material and enjoyment.

Nostalgia Goggles: The Post

Only good thing they did was the voice cast and Venom's new origin. Everything else was awful.

Too bad it got cancelled like all the other Spiderman cartoons.

And the supporting cast. And the fight scenes. And the dialogue. And the characterization. And the way they folded various Spidey characters into each other in fresh and clever ways. And the way they didn't reuse them same fucking CGI backdrops and key animation every episode.

1994 still has the best take on the Venom origin story in anything though.

Fucking Morbius!

Holy shit, he's a complete asshole in this show. Every bad thing that ever happens to him is his own damn fault and everyone blames Spider-Man.

He never even apologizes, he just gets away with everything.

Sounds like every 70s-90s villain ever.

Greetings. Your. Computer. Data. Has. Just. Been. Deleted. By. Hobgoblin. Computer. VIII-rus.

One thing Tas handled incredibly well was their adaption of the Smythes & Spider-Slayer stuff.

They made Spencer completely non evil, he believed Spider-Man to be a menace and he demanded the Press be present at his capture so nothing morally questionable would happen to him.
In the comics Spencer may have started off that way but he became insane & obsessed.

Alistair then was on for revenge like in the comics, but he was a lot less evil & more understanable then he was in the comics.
But then he is transformed into the Ultimate Slayer without his consent (he chose it in the comics) and its reveled Kingpin had Spencer in a coma the whole time, Alistair became sympathetic almost to the equivalent level of Mr Freeze in the DCAU.

I'm a BAAD hacker. Bad, bad, bad, bad...

Mark Hamill fucking killed as Hobgoblin.

It's good.

It's better than people tend to give it credit for around here sometimes.

But Spectacular is an ideal for Spider-Man, an ideal for action cartoons in general.

It's one of the greatest horror cartoons of all time.

Yeah this and spectacular excel in different ways. I actually watched the secret wars episode again today and that hype where he assembles the team is still there

Vulture mutating into the spider monster seriously almost made me shit my pants.

That was tame compared to the Neo Genetic Nightmare arc(or wasVulture mutating part of that story).

It got 65 episodes, though.

Fuck, all Spectacular needed was those and it would've been a complete series.

Remember the 90's and the 00's, when 65 episodes were handed to action cartoons like candy? Whatever happened to that?

Just the Vulture draining people horrified me.

I will get flamed for saying this but this version of Vulture was the best one.

>Cassidy sucking out people's life force
Anyone have a full list of all the shit they couldn't do, because as stupid as the work-arounds were, at least they got pretty creative at times?

>When Spider-Man lands on a roof, make sure he doesn't harm any pigeons.

>Spidey literally never punches anyone
>a bunch of characters "die" by falling into some sort of portal
>Hobgoblin appearing before Green Goblin because of toys
>Electro being Red Skull's son or some shit like that
ehh I dunno man. It was good but not that much.

Not because of toys. Hobgoblin was promoted in the show because he was being pushed in the comics at the same time. Like how his secret identity was not revealed until much later.

he did punch spot through his portal, but yeah the no 'dying' thing was pretty dumb, also insidious six

And he gets to fuck the best Black Cat at the end of it. The fucker.

No punching and stock footage out the ass.

Those are the only two points against it. Otherwise it was great.

WARREN?!? WARREN, WHERE THE BLAZES ARE YOU?!?!

Pretty much every Marvel cartoon from the 90's was a mess. Ugly art, clunky animation, and awkward voice acting all over the fucking place. Spider-man wasn't an exception to that.

One of the writers wanted to change it to at least make Green Goblin first, but they weren't allowed because the Hobby toys were already done.

I agree the animation is clunky but at least the characters are designed in a way that they don't all look like autistic terminally ill fanart, a la spectacular spider man. the character designs make me want to vomit

something about the human designs really rub me the wrong way, spidey looks good though

AHH

Yeah no fuck that. Spectacular's designs look cartoonish, but it allows for smoother animation and over-all better, more expressive designs. Everyone in the 94 show looks like a fucking wrestler action figure.

Younger Togoro?

you can do expressive faces, and diverse bodies without making the characters look mentally, and physically retarded though, young justice is a good example of this

>>Hobgoblin appearing before Green Goblin because of toys
I liked that ALOT.

It was fun, but hardly the best in terms of animation. The retarded "no punching" rule meant fights often wound up with the same solution of Spidey just webbing someone in the face or smashing their evil plot device machine. And the CGI, even back then, was pretty horrendous at times and did not age well at all.

Still, it had some great drama at times, and some fun arcs for the characters. So far, the only animated instance of Venom being heroic. And I mean Eddie Brock Venom. Not fucking Ultimate where it's never even been Eddie once.

The designs weren't that bad. It wasn't a style for everyone, but it was distinct enough.

I dunno brah. I tried to watch this show again a few years back and found it aged horribly.

>you can do expressive faces, and diverse bodies without making the characters look mentally, and physically retarded though

What do you even mean by this? How does the style even look like that?

>young justice is a good example of this

Young Justice barely had animation.

YJ had tons of animation, don't kid yourself. Not sure what the other guy is on about, SSM had plenty of good expression with its art.

Is it just me, or did costumed heroes like to scream out the name of their loved ones a lot back in the 90s?

JEEEEEEAAAAAANN!!!!!!!!

MARY-JAAAAAAAAAAANE!!!!!

etc..

Indeed.

>it's a Felicia gets a new bf who turns out to be a criminal episode

I STILL hear this pete in my head when I read the comics today.

Even as a kid, I preferred the 90s spiderman reruns 9 toon Disney to the spectacular spiderman on kids wb. Spectacular was still good tho.

YOU CAN'T ESCAPE ME

>And the way they didn't reuse them same fucking CGI backdrops and key animation every episode.
Agreed here. The 1994's abuse of stock footage was atrocious.

Captain America: Civil War was the greatest Spider-Man adaptation.

Wait what?

The first season was fucking beautiful. Too bad they couldn't afford TMS for the rest of the series.

It's a toss up between this and Spectacular.

Loved the Venom arc.

What's the spidey cartoon with the "le random family guy cutaway gags!"? Because if that's the cartoon you guys are claiming it's better than the 90s one, you're out of your mind.

That's Ultimate Spider-Man.

The Insidious Six were my jam.

>Electro being Red Skull's son or some shit like that

I think it was Chameleon.

It was both.

>characterization
>venom calls peter a 'bro' every 5 minutes

I liked spectacular but they dropped the ball with venom pretty hard

You don't know what characterization is.

It was a bit annoying, but it was to show how Eddie forced his act of being Peter's "bro", even though deep down he hated him and was jealous of him.

How can that be the best when it recycled a lot of scenes?

>90s spiderman reruns 9 toon Disney

I liked how entire seasons were one big storyline