Omnipotent

>omnipotent
>can only be defeated if tricked into saying his own name backwards
>gets tricked into saying it EVERY TIME

He had one job.

hey it beats the alternative

To be fair, he provides relief from endless bullshit involving Luthor and Kryptonite, or Superman's Evil Twin/Relative.

>not getting thats half the fun
If i had nigh omnipotent powers like mxy, id do dumbshit like this too.

Whatever happened to Mxy anyway?

He's been used sparingly since the Silver-Age. Makes sense considering how he's inherently goofy, but it still sucks.

One of the few things about Byrne's reboot was the notion that saying his name backwards doesnt actually send him back anymore. He voluntarily returns when Superman beats his challenge

He is too busy fucking Ms. Gsptlsnz

morrison killed him because he's a hack

It must be a Roger Rabbit thing, where in the 5th dimension a guy as lively and comical as Mxy is a catch and Gispy is the one who supposedly married up.

To be fair, a lot of versions of Mxy aren't really malicious, just more goofy pranksters looking to have a fun time for a short while. It's all mostly a game to Mxy. He's just fucking with Supes most of the time.

Yeah, seriously. Last time he was used really well was in Morrison's AC and he hadn't even been used that much at all before that.

You realize he ends up being reborn or something like that right?

>Morrison killed him
>in Batman RIP, Morrisson had Batmite declare the the 5th dimension IS imagination
>Morrison declared Superman creatively dearth of any imagination

So does Braniac, Toyman, Parasite, Livewire and Prankster.

You know, I never really gave it much thought until I tried listing some of his other villains off the top of my head, but Mxyzptlk, Prankster and Toyman are all kind of similar too, aren't they? Mxyzptlk is the best and most different than them all obviously, but that's an interesting trend of having enemies who try to out-dick Superman's superdickery.

I really wish we could move past "Luthor and Kryptonite"/"Superman's Evil Twin/Relative" plots in...everything Superman related these days, really. The Rebirth comics have had Doomsday, Eradicator, Cyborg Superman and probably someone else I'm forgetting.

Why can't we see people like Toyman anymore?

>You know, I never really gave it much thought until I tried listing some of his other villains off the top of my head, but Mxyzptlk, Prankster and Toyman are all kind of similar too, aren't they?

More or less. When you really think about, the vast majority of Superman's rogue gallery is goofy as hell, which is why the majority don't get used at all these days. Superman is an inherently silly character not much different from the likes of Popeye, problem is he's constantly being written by insecure people and/or people trying to get rid of that idea.

One of his first appearances post-crisis was pretty terrifying. Superman wasn't around, so Lexcorp was trying to stop him, and it was horrifying.

I liked Yang's Super fight club thing he had going

No he didn't. Mxy helped Superman save the day and beat that evil 5D imp. It ended with him back in the 5D living a fulfilling life with his waifu with the occasional sad patch.

Mxy in Morrison Action Comics was perhaps the most benevolent Mxy ever written. He was basically Superman's writer/storyteller.

5D words are like thunder user. They echo.

This. Mxy is so high level that unless he ties himself to rules you aren't beating him.

I wish Mxy would be used a lot more. He's a real interesting antagonist.

Toyman and Prankster would be interesting just as two guys trying to punk and humiliate Superman because they're attention whores who are jealous because Superman has super powers.

They think Superman is just a dumb jock with powers and Superman has to prove them wrong by outwitting them.

I like bad guys Superman has to purely outwit that don't really pose a physical threat to him at all.

>Inherently silly character not much different from the likes of Popeye

I think he's more like The Spirit. He's capable of being played in multiple ways for multiple stories. Like the Silver Age would have a serious story about him fighting Brainiac or getting sad about Krypton and Kandor or helping his clone on another planet die with dignity but then they'd have a comical story where he travels to the fifth dimension just to troll Mxy.

He's rather like Astro Boy in that way, which is appropriate because Tezuka was a huge fan.

Super fight club?

>You know, I never really gave it much thought until I tried listing some of his other villains off the top of my head, but Mxyzptlk, Prankster and Toyman are all kind of similar too, aren't they? Mxyzptlk is the best and most different than them all obviously, but that's an interesting trend of having enemies who try to out-dick Superman's superdickery.
I don't care much for the Prankster. Only time he ever seemed all that interesting was in the Superman 2000 pitch, where the writers actually managed to make him seem kind of interesting.

Toyman, on the other hand, doesn't have to be much like Mxy at all and has a lot of potential. Whereas Mxy is at least quite often not really a bad guy, Toyman has pretty much always been openly malicious and outright dangerous. And with his toy gimmick, he's had a few great designs over the years, like his Justice version or the creepy DCAU version.

He's not the perfect villain for Superman, but the toy gimmick can be a lot of fun and it's always cool how they make his toys surprisingly powerful and deadly, so that they may give even Superman some trouble.

As much as I love Luthor, I really do wish they'd use some of his other villains more. Hell, they haven't even used Zod and the other evil Kryptonians THAT much post-Crisis, it's weird. Though outside of the comics and particular the movies, I'd love to see some of the others, like fucking Brainiac.

>Only time he ever seemed all that interesting was in the Superman 2000 pitch, where the writers actually managed to make him seem kind of interesting.
I didn't realize how redundant that sentence was when I wrote it.

I agree, Toy gimmicks are woefully underutilized. You can do so much with that concept but no one wants to actually work with it, I find it baffling. Once I learn how to actually draw I want to make a comic about such a thing.