What happened to the Mexicans living in the current American Southwest when it was first incorporated into the US?

What happened to the Mexicans living in the current American Southwest when it was first incorporated into the US?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Repatriation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Guadalupe_Hidalgo
youtube.com/watch?v=aYRkFlL6Kag
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Their descendants got deported in the 1920s-1930s because they got blamed for the great depression and other stuff

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Repatriation

The native Americans became Americans/stayed on reserves

those states are in the desert and not many lived there. the few who did got assimilated eventually.

>trying to keep america white back then
gotta love how it's the complete opposite nowadays with all those SJWs

Not all of them, the elites assimilated for the most part and some joined with local Native Americans. Most of the deported Mexicans did eventually go back via the bracero program and while the Americans did later on attempted further expulsions, well, we all know how US demographics on the region are looking right now.

IIRC it wasn't heavily populated at that period except for independent native tribes and they were given the choice to become citizens or leave. Some of their descendants are probably still around but mixed.

Assimilated into what? The white population?

>500,000 to 2,000,000
This seems like a pretty big number, I don't remember ever hearing about this on school, how did so many Mexicans coming back affect the country?

My family owned a big ranch that was on both sides of the Rio Grand, they stayed in Texas.
They lost the Mexican land and kept the land in Texas.

>The Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo (Tratado de Guadalupe Hidalgo in Spanish) is the peace treaty signed on February 2, 1848, in the Villa de Guadalupe Hidalgo (now a neighborhood of Mexico City) between the United States and Mexico that ended the Mexican–American War (1846–1848). The treaty came into force on July 4, 1848.

>With the defeat of its army and the fall of its capital, Mexico entered into negotiations to end the war. The treaty called for the U.S. to pay US$15 million to Mexico and to pay off the claims of American citizens against Mexico up to US$5 million. It gave the United States the Rio Grande as a boundary for Texas, and gave the U.S. ownership of California and a large area comprising roughly half of New Mexico, most of Arizona, Nevada, and Utah, and parts of Wyoming and Colorado. Mexicans in those annexed areas had the choice of relocating to within Mexico's new boundaries or receiving American citizenship with full civil rights. Over 90% chose to become U.S. citizens.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Guadalupe_Hidalgo

Do you still identify as Mexican?

there were next to none if any mexicans there

Yes, we are talking mostly criollos and white looking mestizos, obviously it went the other way for Mexicans who settled with Native Americans

there were some in texas and california

No, my family is originally from Spain.
People think I am Italian or Greek.

yes, and those states were still barely populated

The Southwest was then mostly wilderness inhabited by Indian tribes and the few small settlements were inhabited by people of Spanish descent, they were given the choice of US citizenship and about 80-90% accepted. In addition, the Treaty of Guadelupe-Hidalgo required the US to respect land grants in the Southwest which had existed since colonial times.

So no, there were no Mexicans there, at least not in the modern sense, especially because Mexico didn't develop a real national identity until the French occupation.

So what happened to the ones that were just Mestizo? Were they assimilated into the later Mexican (immigrant) population?

This
"White population" territories such as California were territories of the spanish crown where you had actual settlements and barely any mestizos due to the lack of civilization prior to colonization. The fact that the population wasn't very high explains it all.

Those would have been Tejanos and Californios, they didn't identify as Mexicans and were actually in revolt against Mexico. Even the ruling elites in MC wanted nothing to do with the "barbaric herdsmen" in the country's remote northern territory.

California was one of the very last areas of North America to be settled, not until the late 18th century when a series of missions were constructed there. The Californios lived quite harmoniously with the local Indian tribes, the latter quickly adopted Spanish cultural norms and took up cattle ranching.

They remained "Mexicans" and are the reason something like Mexican culture has always survived in the Southwest. Obviously they didn't get them all during expulsions and most who got deported simply kept going back. Sure some settled in our northwest and there's peoples on border areas who even today sort of live with a foot on each country, tho for the most part those would all be US citizens or greencard holders nowadays.

Obviously many of them are no longer identifiably Mexican, to avoid prejudice many criollos came to identify themselves as "Spaniards" even if they came from central Mexico and had never been to Spain, and likewise some would re-asimilate into Amerindian culture. Many changed their names, unlike in Mexico relatively easy to do in the US and some very few have been proudly indentifying themselves as Mexicans ever since, most of those not in the border region did for the most part intermarry and see their Mexican heritage as simply part of their state's culture, they're basically Americans.

It's not an easy thing to track, I remember seeing an exhibit on this in Mexico City some years ago.

What goes around comes back around. The muttification of America is divine retribution.

Almost none lived there
Texas was the only part with any significant amount of Mexicans

the only crime is their pretension to living in our country

I read somewhere that there were very few people there. I assume they got citizenship and became Americans

when will anglos stop bullying us?

2,000,000 is a breddy significant number, considering we only had 15 million people in 1930.

They became """""""""""""""Spanish""""""""""
youtube.com/watch?v=aYRkFlL6Kag

Lol I didn't even know about this and I'm CHI. But it's okay, as long as there's a statue of Jeb Stuart commisioned by a car dealer in the 1950s, Americans will know their history

Death to America

The most densely populated area was Texas the the Tejanos (Mexican Texans) were part of the revolt against the Mexican government
Texas was really the only part that Spain and Mexico tried colonizing because the rest was full of hostile natives.