Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Jk4W_O5rFo8
youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Better fight than anything from DCEU.

'no'

notice the omega symbol the smoke makes around Supes

Welp, that didn't take long.

Eh, I've seen worse. (TAKEN 3 had a scene with Liam Neeson jumping over a fence that, for some reason, needed 20+ jump cuts,)

>dude symbolism lmao

dcucks on suicide watch

Forgive them Snyder, for they know not what they do.

How do you think they should hit each other OP?
Like this?
youtu.be/Jk4W_O5rFo8
>Using images like comic book panels
God I wish Snyder had a talented writing staff and someone to reign him in. He's almost like George Lucas.

Pretty sure people who criticize BvS for its choppy editing, multiple needless flashbacks, worthless-to-the-narrative "worldbuilding", pretentious symbolism, shit-ass villain, and the shit-ass villain's shit-ass plan know exactly what they do.

I think all Superhero movies are having issues with too many cuts in their fight scenes. The Daredevil Netflix series hits all the right notes with its fight scenes for a few reasons. Most people talk about the impact and it feeling like there's some actual levity behind each individual attack and while that's true I don't see nearly enough attention focused on the fact that for the most part they are done in as few takes as possible. The hallway action sequence where he's trying to rescue the kid is a perfect example of this. It is done in entirely one take and they purposefully make you fill in some of the blanks yourself when the fighting goes offscreen.

The Russo brothers also do very competent fight scenes but just like Whedon, Nolan, and Snyder they spend too much of the sequences doing rapid cuts adopting the music video rule of directing(no shot should last longer than one second).

Pic semi related. It wouldn't work as well if it had frequent cuts to the characters' faces instead of being done in one shot.

...that is a literal DBZ stand off

Straight the fuck up out of any fucking important fight.

Jesus.

>how real people fight

>how childish cartoons fight

nah

I mean- I like that about it

There's also the issue of some impacts never really feeling like impacts, even if we can't perceive it in the moment. Every Frame a Painting's video on Jackie Chan fight scenes brings this up by showing a specific kick from GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY and comparing it to how Chan films cut films to show the impact of blows: youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ (Go to about 5:27 for segment in question.)

>b-but DC!

Also obvious bait, literally all fights in the DCEU so far have been better than anything in the MCU

Every Frame a Painting is god tier analysis. I just wish he'd put out a video more than every 6-12 weeks.

The Jackie Chan video is one of his absolute best; it's what made me look up his other videos and subscribe to his YouTube channel.

Funny thing is, a lot of the things talked about in that video can also apply to action scenes in writing.

There's more to fights than property damage.

The Kurosawa video might be my favorite, but the Drive one was got me watching. While I didn't like Drive as an overall product I find it to be unparalleled in modern film when it comes to cinematography and shot composition.

If anything, shitloads of property damage take attention away from the characters fighting and their conflicts (both physical and mental). The scale of such damage also risks making the scene boring. Destroy one skyscraper, and it's notable. Destroy ten, and each successive destruction means less and less.

The original INDEPENDENCE DAY how to make this sort of scale meaningful by showing massive destruction once, then skipping over the rest of the alien assault around the world. We saw them basically nuke NYC and LA(?), why do we need to see them nuke Cairo, Paris, etc.? The film saved two other shows of massive destruction - the nuking of the mothership and the destruction of the ship over Area 51 - for the end, spacing it out from the initial alien attack so it would be more memorable, stick out in people's minds more. If ID4 had been a continuous showing of cities being blown to bits inbetween the main plot, nobody would've cared about seeing another city get laser-nuked after a while and the film would be worthless.

All hail Darksnyd

Say whatever you want about Snyder but there is a lot of little Easter eggs like that in the movie. The actually tried.

Superman saving Luthor from Doomsday, referencing what Luthor said about his father earlier for example.