Would the Harry Potter films be as big as they are if they went with the original plans of them being animated?

Would the Harry Potter films be as big as they are if they went with the original plans of them being animated?

No.

>They wanted to animate Harry Potter but could not be fucked to animate A Series of Unfortunate Events and The Spiderwick Chronicles in favour of shitty live action.

Didn't they make those live-action specifically because HP was so successful and they just wanted to mimic them? Turning a popular dark kids book into a live action film trend at the time? Golden Compass also came out around that time. I'm sure a few others, too.

Diana Wyne Jones at least had one of her books animated, even if it was kind of over adapted for the Japanese Audience.

>animated films ever being as succesful as popular live action films

I think we all should ask how much more popular they would be if they went with the original intention to make Hermione black :^)

No, but they would probably be better

This is the weakest bait of this week. You should feel ashamed, I'm literally ashamed of you.

It's an ironic joke, lad, as prompted by the :^) :^)

I wonder how the early version set in America and starring Haley Joel Osment, potnetially directed by Steven Spielberg and condensing several books into one plot would've faired.

terrible.
its why it wasn't done.

I don't understand movie studio thinking of "I like this, but want to change everything about it"

"Kaneda is a bartender in Neo-Manhattan."

you shut your dirty whore mouth

They only like something because it's profitable, they don't don't know what's good.

Didn't Rowling refuse to have them animated, for whatever reason? Like that was suggested and she was like "never, fuck that."

The earliest books especially actually seemed like they'd translate well to animation though.

Absolutely not. Most of the appeal is the empathy and similarity between you and the characters, animation removes a significant portion of that.

Would be interesting to see how an animated movie fared from 2000 to 2012 or whenever the last one was though. I'm not sure it could compete or stay relevant with all of the competing CGI.

Five years after the film franchise and nine after the books and I'm still ready to give them money for Ilvermorny and Fantastic Beasts.

Did you think there was gonna be regret here? Nah, son

She's basically a dumb housewife so to her suggesting her books be animated probably sounded like an insult rather than a respectful idea.

It was Harry Potter and people love Harry Potter. If the first ones were popular all of them would have been.

>he replied

I think animation would have age better. How long till the inevitable remakes?

If only Harry Potter had an animated series worthy of one like Deltora Quest.

Ilvermorny would have been really good as a movie. I'm excited for Fantastic Beasts because the Nundu sounds based. The cool creatures were one of my favorite parts of the books/movies.

Lol, no.
Among kids, yes.
But general audience, no.

People automatically dismiss animation as for kids and manchildren.
It would have been popular enough to get a live action adaptation tho ;^)

I see BBC doing season long remakes of each book in at least 10 years. Possibly when Fantastic Beasts is all done.

I think it's rather because she always planned for the books to get much darker as time went on.

The first four would have made great animated films but after Cedric dies it definitely moves out of kids territory.

Except there are plenty of animated movies that make assloads of money :^}

They transitioned from kids books to teen books but you can still make stories for teenagers in animation

>death is taboo for cartoons
>but I swear toons aren't just for kids
It's a dilemma

Lots of Pixar and Disney are widely admired by both adults and kids. Look how many adults love the Finding series because of Ellen Degeneres, or how many young adults love Wreck It Ralph and Zootopia.

ITT: Sup Forums pretends they know showbiz

if it meant getting another beautifully animated 2d film, i´d love it even if i´m not a big harry potter fan, the nintendo game also sounded really cool

>but after Cedric dies
B-but Mufasa's death...
Like I know Lion King is still relatively kiddie after that with Timon and Pumbaa, but that doesn't negate some of the dark stuff in that movie. I mean, Scar gets eaten alive at the end.

Big Hero 6 also had a really good funeral scene. And I think the climax to Monsters Inc is so goddamn effective despite having outdated CG that it still makes me tear up, because I see Sully tearing up.

And they're more popular and make more money in live action.
Animation is inherently limiting to market to everyone, but then one can argue most blockbuster summer flicks are largely animated, though with CGI instead of toons.

it´s denial because we don´t want to believe that when executives make bad decissions they make it out of spite for the fans every time

>Eight seasons of Harry Potter rounding at 45 - 60 minutes an episode

God yes...

Surely yer not manchildren enough to believe animation does not carry a stigma and live action is still not the preferred visual medium by most everyone, surely.

Having your movie about a wizard school limits your movie to basically the same audience as cartoons anyway.
The main readon teens watched HP sp much is because they got hooked as kids.

Well, Op, let's compare live action capeshit to their animated counterparts, which ones are bigger??

Mind you, I personally feel capeshit should animated and not be made into tedious summer events...

Animation does, but Disney and Pixar can bypass it pretty easily. Not that they're going to start making Coonskin films, but Harry Potter is still a family series. A dark one, sure, but so is a lot of what Disney-Pixar make already. The Incredibles has its share of dark shit, too. Tarzan and Up! also have some tragic moments.

You'd be surprised, the first time I heard about HP movies (not the books) was on Howard Stern show way way back when.
Old as fuck dudes will watch the stupidest shit in live action, but walk out if it's a cartoon.

Making them in movie form is really dumb, you never get enough time to flesh out the idea of the characters, but cinema carries a lot of importance in culture so it's more profitable to make them that way

>the inevitable Incredibles adaptation
Kill me now

That poor baby, she has those needles up her nose.

She refused because the animated movies would apparently have to be set in America.

Yes, if not more so. It would have given the studio greater control over things like actors schedule, size ect. The release dates, the budget. everything could have been consistent and better. Its Harry potter, it's huge.

Incredibles is getting a sequel, so by the time it gets a live-action adaptation you should be well into your late 30's or mid-40's. Hopefully you'll have been numbed down to what Hollywood does.

Animation is for children.

Live action is for adults.

Have you forgotten they printed the HP books with "adult" variant covers so that grownups wouldn't feel stupid reading what appears to be a children's book in public?

Harry Potter was an insane phenomenon m8, everyone was reading the books, not just teens or kids

>Hopefully you'll have been

Hopefully, user... Hopefully.

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant. To her saying the books would be good animated is the same as saying that they're saccharine garbage for small children.

So what, the movies were piss poor depicting British shit anyway.
Everything interesting and funny from the books were sanded away, watered down in the films to the point it might as well have taken place anywhere.

Not the other user, but I did not know this. Just searched it up, are these them? They also list these as the international covers but I only got these as the result.

Literally makes them look like they're part of the Game of Thrones series.

From the Harry Potter film series wikipedia page

>A demand Rowling made was that the principal cast be kept strictly British, allowing nevertheless for the inclusion of many Irish actors, such as Richard Harris as Dumbledore, and for casting of French and Eastern European actors in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire where characters from the book are specified as such.[12] Rowling was hesitant to sell the rights because she "didn't want to give them control over the rest of the story" by selling the rights to the characters, which would have enabled Warner Bros. to make non-author-written sequels.[13]

>Although Steven Spielberg initially negotiated to direct the first film, he declined the offer.[14] Spielberg wanted the adaptation to be an animated film, with American actor Haley Joel Osment to provide Harry Potter's voice.

Frankly the book series is so quintessentially British placing it in the US or having the lead character be an American would have been a shit decision.

No, Probably because Harry Potter was easily one of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises. Each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects?all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>But at least the books are ggood though!
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King

>Frankly the book series is so quintessentially British
I would argue the fact that Fantastic Beasts takes place in the U.S. (Granted with a British main character) and it still looks and feels like Harry Potter, that is partially untrue.

>implying movie studios like things
>implying they don't just see something raking in money and want money for themselves

They don't even know the story or characters beyond the most vague plot progression map.

The books are written at the same level as Devinci Code, so I don't see why not.

Are you suggesting that Spielberg is talented or artistic, and not just a greedy Jew with an eye for garbage with mass-appeal?

>Snyder makes Spielberg look like Kubrick
Wizardkino whenM

>not having the picture

shitty attempt.

>allowing nevertheless for the inclusion of many Irish actors
But the Irish are British. Just British in denial.

The versions I remember had some stylized black and white photography on the covers, pic related might be it.

But yeah they sold the books in both the official colourful kid's books -style covers, and the more dark "adult" cover variants, and apparently had several versions of the "adult" covers too. I remember seeing loads of people reading them on public transport, both the kiddie and adult versions. Some columnists wrote on the phenomenon and commented that it's stupid, that if you like the book you should be happy to read it regardless of the cover, but the darker adult cover variants apparently sold really well, making the series appear more "serious". They clearly went for some serious grimdark fantasy or crime novel feel in the adult covers, heh

Does anyone else think life seems super dull after Hogwarts?

After seven years at the greatest place in the world, you spend your adulthood working a boring job while dressing like you skinned your grandmother's couch.

Lol, nah. Fantastic Beasts is a spinoff and not really a part of the series proper. I didn't know it's placed in the US, but I'm guessing that's to please butthurt Americans who can't stand some popular franchise not being about them. But trying to insist that HP isn't British because one british side character travels to the US in a spinoff story is retarded, come on

Well the "British" are kind of piss poor depicting British shit so....

They would have fucked them up, but I wanted them to be animated. I guess I'd rather have the entire series be live-action and somewhat mediocre than have the first three or four books butchered beyond belief in cartoon form, only to go to production hell or something.

Howl's Moving Castle is an interesting enough film on its own. Even with Miyazaki's obligatory heavy-handed antiwar crap. But it's a garbage adaptation.

>"hey what house would you be?"
>"nigger I'm 24 years old"

I'm saying that most of Harry Potter is a fantastical made-up world and could easily be translated worldwide. The initial creation gives credit to a British author, what with how Hogwarts functions as a school, but at a certain point it stops being about "The schooling system is similar to British schools" and moreso "Oh, you go to Hogwarts? Yeah you go there for eight years!". Anyone in Japan, Africa, America, etc can understand that. Yeah sure, some of the now established aesthetic feels very "British", the boulder hats that characters wear, their attire, etc, but way more of the visuals are just "magic". Cloaks, pointy hats, Dumbledore's entire appearance.

What I'm trying to say, if I'm saying it very poorly, is that Hogwarts and Diagonalley I don't think would feel very different if they were American or British. At the end of the day they're both fictional places and as long as they followed JK Rowling's instructions on how it looks, it wouldn't matter much if the people walking around had an accent or not.

>not becoming a magic cop and putting your life on the line to capture dark wizards every day
>not becoming a magical-creatures-diplomat, making sure the Centaurs don't rape every berry and mushroom-picker in England and dragons don't set up a nest at Fort Knox
>not becoming a curse-breaker making sure that the Egyptologists don't unleash plagues
>not getting rich designing magic treats and gadgets with your brother

The only thing dull is your imagination.

>Boulder hats
BOWLER HATS goddamn me and my lack of double checking.

It would be remembered like The Magic School Bus or Bill Nye or some shit. Like a "this was my shit back in grade school" but not something you'd actively pay attention to when you're older.

I want an HP animated series where all the characters are voiced by Stephen Fry. It would be the comfiest thing ever

It's also ignorance in thinking internet anons can run a movie franchise better than executives. Sure a lot of them make a lot of awful decisitions, but they've also allowed a lot of great ones to come through (which of course no one ever acknowledges). It's easier to think all of Hollywood is run by morons and that us intelligent internet users are more competent than them.

I disagree strongly with that. There's a rather strong britishness in everything throughout the books, and putting it in a different culture would really change it. It's possible you're not so familiar with British things that you don't recognise it, but it'd really suffer from being placed elsewhere. Or maybe not suffer, but it'd be a very different series. It's not just about how it looks, and it's not really about just the visuals.

I'd love to hear more about this version that never happened. At the time all the British tabloids were in outcry over "Hogwarts High complete with cheerleaders"

My God that would be amazing. Can't wait for their version of HDM

Those are the second, better adult covers. The original ones had very little to do with the contents of the books

>Beedle-The-Bard-stylized animation exploring Wizard tales, narrated by Stephen Fry

Could be really good.

>Most of the appeal is the empathy and similarity between you and the characters, animation removes a significant portion of that.

What? People can easily feel empathy for fucking stick figures. What are you doing on this board?

Can't even spell DaVinci and criticizes the writing...

It's true that at some point the fanyasy elements start to transcend certain real world elements.
However having it take place in America would rob it of some of most important aspects of the world and story.
England is essentially where the western world, and the secret Wizarding world was born. The history of the school and some of the Wizarding world's greatest events stems from England and other parts of europe.
If it were set in America, they would have to change history to explain why the Wizarding world didn't come to be until the Americas were colonized, or explain that all the coolest historical stuff happened in Europe, and that just leaves us wishing we were there.
Then there's the cultural disparity in the books. Hogwarts is full of kids from all around the UK with different accents and speech patterns. If it took place in America, they'd all just be American, and while that's not necessarily a bad thing, it's not quite as interesting or fun to explore. They'd also have to rework the tri wizard tournament, since it wouldn't make sense why they would hold it in America when almost all the major Wizarding schools are European.
It's not simply because the author is British that it takes place in England, it also makes the most thematic sense.

Maybe then the students wouldn't have started wearing normal clothes in the later movies

What were they suppose to wear? The only had two outfits: their uniforms and their casual wear. Why would they wear their Hogwarts uniforms when they were running from Hogwarts and family and give their identities away?

U r stoopid.

>Then there's the cultural disparity in the books. Hogwarts is full of kids from all around the UK with different accents and speech patterns. If it took place in America, they'd all just be American, and while that's not necessarily a bad thing, it's not quite as interesting or fun to explore.
Americans have that too, it's not a homogeneous country or culture.

The normal clothes was a good choice though, the uniforms are great for being fantastical but the main characters (Harry especially) were supposed to be kids who were being immersed in and introduced to this weird wizard world the same way we were.

>heavy-handed antiwar crap
meh he sucks at anti war shits it so stupid and forced

eternal truth

If they were well animated, and had skillful art design they wouldn't have made as much money, but I bet they'd have had better critical reception and be more remembered 10 years from now.

They consistently air on TV and have continued to do so long after their theatrical running. A marathon is happening right now, in fact it's been happening every weekend on ABC Family for a long time. The books are still popular and the franchise overall sells extremely well, I'd say the films are pretty damn well remembered, especially the first one.

I hate modern covers. They look so utterly shit. Give me one of those lying things that show the hero fighting a monster with a scantily clad girl at his feet over this bland garbage any day.

They are literally not. Britain is the big island, they live in Ireland.

Those still exist, they just aren't the dominant and sole image you'll see anymore. Nor is there a binary of "unoriginal pulp" and "bland crap" unless the only thing that can get you off is a mediocre knockoff of Frank Frazetta.

>quintessentially British
>everything takes place in a suburb and in a castle that could be anywhere
>the most Limey thing about the characters is that Ron says "bloody hell" instead of "fuck"
That's pretty much it. It's not like half the school were pakis, characters were arrested for carrying a butter knife or Islamaphobia and everyone was a teen alcoholic, a chav or a slag. Now that would have been British.

>It's not British because it doesn't have my Sup Forums memes in it