What are some of the best adult animated movies with great animation and adult themes?

What are some of the best adult animated movies with great animation and adult themes?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/2WMm7N1IthE
youtu.be/D4Y5jUqBm8k
youtu.be/s1YX8-LegHs
youtu.be/7dvt05dwN_k
youtube.com/watch?v=_3YYgEC_9HU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Try Japan.

There is virtually no such movie in the US. To studios - TV and film - "adult animation" is synonymous with shows like FAMILY GUY and SOUTH PARK or movies like SAUSAGE PARTY: sophmoric bullshit humor made up of foul language and crude content marketed as "edgy" or "offensive".

There is no American equivalent of AKIRA, GHOST IN THE SHELL, MILLENNIUM ACTRESS, PERFECT BLUE, or even NINJA SCROLL. You'll likely never see one from a major film studio. Go watch animu, OP.

But he posted this in Sup Forums.

Bakshi's animated movies

>adult themes
Plague Dogs, Felidae, Persepolis, maybe Walz with Bashir, even if the animation is lazy at times, the visuals got a lot of personality.

>western animation is US only.
How about you go kill yo...
Hrm, I mean, that's a bit reductive and/or uninformed, user.

Would something like Mary and Max count?

spawn?

Yes.

Or look up movies directed by Ralph Bakshi

this

>Plague Dogs, Felidae, Persepolis, maybe Walz with Bashir
British, French, Iranian Frenchy, and Israeli
Yes you are correct but because it wasn't made in America almost no one out side of this board and some arty groups are going to know those movies

Get that overrated trash out of here

There's this.

Aw, but I like Rock and Rule. It's a fun movie. I mean I guess it's not high art, but there aren't a lot of decent adult animated films to choose from.

That's just a list of art movies Newfags need to watch

>Get that overrated trash out of here
That's overrated? Not many actually talked about this since that guy uploaded a video bout it.

DO NOT watch Watership Down unless you're just really into animal brutality. God that movie fucked me up as a kid.

I loved that movie as a kid. It's probably where I first learned about natural selection.

Plague Dogs is much much worse. That movie fucked me up as an adult.

I remember when they showed it on Channel 5 in the UK on a Sunday Afternoon

Channel 5 got alot of complaint letters about it

People need to know more about this movie mang.

I always forget about Fantastic Planet.

To be fair, no one outside of animation fans are going to know about adult all adult animated films outside of a very few examples.

In a couple of years no one will remember Sausage Party.

We've been talking about it before he made it cool
Yes I know that sounds Hipster but goddamn it the movie isn't all that good.

That's cuz the Book was made to teach kids about death and how it's a part of life
I mean shit the book it's base on was written by a SAS british commando to teach his kids about death.

I love don hertzfeldt's shit so much, its so good

Waking life and to some extent A Scanner Darkly.

Mary & Max.
I find it more appropriate for adults.

Torally recommend it

Personally I like Les Maitres du Temps a lot better.

I'm thinking about editing this in the future, maybe adding a new row, but I can't decide whether to add anymore Laika movies or to just allow Laika to be represented by Coraline.

On the one hand, ParaNorman and/or Kubo would fit very well in that list. But on the other, Laika is probably just going to keep making good films and I can't just keep adding them and letting them overtake the list.

I want more like this one, alternative styles with good traditional animation and nudes

You may like and the first animated segment of then.

What proportion of this is animated?

Looking for pic related, that I recommend along with the entire filmography of Laguionie, I've found a ton of animated movies I had never even heard of. It's a bit sad; the lack of coverage certainly means that I've missed a lot of enjoyable movies, if not masterpieces.

>scooby-doo on zombie island
I'm surprised by its presence on this list. That being said, I haven't seen it. Can some kind Sup Forumsmrade give us a quick review

I think the animated part starts about 40 minutes in? It's a bit of a hike before the animation starts, but after that the rest is pretty much all animated.

Very nice, good to know.

Secret of Nihm.

Good adult animated films with sex and nudity, but the sex scenes aren't comedic?

Seems like we can't have explicit sex scenes in western animation unless it's something silly like The Haunted World Of El Superbeasto or Sausage Party. Or if the sex is serious, it's interspecies, rape, or just a dry humping montage.

These are more on the avant garde weird shit spectrum, but they're still pretty good. Especially considering all of these were basically one man projects.

As a quick watching guide:
>we are the strange is some homage to vidya and mecha that you need to really read into to get any real meaning from, it's basically about fucking around with perspectives in a story
>heart string marionette is a love letter to the kind of Japanese theatre that replied more on raw emotion than logical storytelling. However, the story thst is there is actually pretty nice. You need to read into it a bit but you can actually just watch it as a moody samurai movie thst goes full shonen by the end
>I am nightmare is basically the most straightforward movie. It's like a ghibli movie in fairy tale feeling, and it's basically just that, a little fairy tale with adult themes.

youtu.be/2WMm7N1IthE
youtu.be/D4Y5jUqBm8k
youtu.be/s1YX8-LegHs

If you can muster all the wrid slow paced stuff it's a pretty great way to spend a whole afternoon just marathon in all of these. If you're still not convinced to sit through them, I recommend at least giving heart string marionette a shot. This is the trailer that sold it to me as something special. That fucking music.

youtu.be/7dvt05dwN_k

It might have seemed a little less out of place on the original list pre-editing, which also included GI Joe Resolute, the Felix the Cat movie, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, etc.

Zombie Island is just an unusually well animated and well done Scooby movie. It takes place when the gang gets back together after having been split up for a couple of years to pursue more adult ambitions, but they get together to solve a voodoo mystery in Louisiana. And then it turns out this is one of those "the one time it really WAS supernatural spookiness" plots. All around a good, fun movie, and pretty outstanding among the Scooby Doo franchise.

>Don Bluth
>Adult

>Ralph Bakshi

This.
My personal favorite is American Pop. After I saw Fritz the Cat I thought I didn't like Bakshi, but his stuff can have a good amount of range.

This was almost as depressing as Grave of the Fireflies.
>No future, man. No future.

>Asterix and the Vikings
There was WAY better Asterix movies than this.

Animation? Probably not, but Spawn is awesome.

It was already 2edgy4me when it was released.

>Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island

Is that Bowie

>Not using question marks

?s that Bowie

In film, it's probably just somebody's Bowie-sona.

I've been meaning to watch The Tragedy of Man. If it lives up to Feherlofia it should be good.

Monkey Bone.

I'm not even memeing here.

>Pic

Jesus fuck, I saw that years ago and thought I just imagined it or something. Thank you so much.

We watched The Secret of Nimh and The Hobbit in school once

Was it because you also read the books that go with them? If so, good on your teachers there.

I remember getting stuck in a shit english class where we actually watched the films for the books the standardized test would be asking questions on instead of being assigned to read the books themselves.

or naruto

Watched the movie after reading the books, but teacher kept fast forwarding past the violent parts. She didn't realize how mature the movies were so she stopped playing them. Never got to watch the full movie.

I know this one.
Even got a german Dub which is very well made.

That sucks. You should go rewatch both those movies, they're good.

I don't see why she was surprised, though. The violent and mature material comes straight from the books themselves. Like, I'm actually confused now as to how an adult can get put off by the visual representation of what they just got done reading with the kids when the written version didn't bother them at all.

I don't get why people like Kirikou. Animation was bad and the plot was bare bones fairy tale shit with no drama or suspense or anything. Is it just because it's exotic and has tits?

watership down rocked and you're a pussy
I saw it when I was 7

oh my god nostalgia bomb. I could never remember what that dinosaurs marching scene was from

I liked it because I do just happen to like fairytales and folklore, and it's refreshing to sometimes see it presented in an animated film with integrity and without the bells and whistles that come with a hip modernized Disney-esque version. Though I love Disney too.

>The men from the village planted a torn in the Witch's back which made her hate all men.
The rape analogy isn't even subtle. And it's Kirikou who teaches her to love men again. wink-wink
>An African movie about not believing in grigri bullshit and superstitions.
That got some SJWs mad at the time.
But haters gonna hate, I like it.

For Nimh, it was after we read the book. For the Hobbit, it was near the end of the year so we watched the Hobbit in class for the rest of the day

Nigger we just had an Akira story time. Sup Forums won't shut the fuck up about anime.

It's not that good. It's style over substance.

>Grave of the Fireflies

Manipulative bullshit that changed the ending of the book it was based off of to make it even more emotionally manipulative. The guy who wrote it was the older brother and was still alive when the movie came out. It was put out as a "you should be more respectful to your elders, you ungrateful teens" during the 80's when there was a lot of youth issues going on in Japan.

Try as I might I just can't like The Secret of Nimh

The animation is great and all but the plot feels really thin and the pacing is a little off.

Also holy shit Jeremy is the most aggressively annoying character I've ever seen in anything. The fact that he's in the movie at all bumps it down from a 7 to a 5 for me. He's that bad.

tragedy of man is great, awesome visuals and real depth.

Man I hated Jeremy so much too. Totally ruins rewatchings.

it had a lot of adult themes

so many that a kid would probably think its boring

Have you read the book?

I already saw ''Boy'' and Rita so I gotta check out the other one

THIS, I want to see nudes in different styles but it always turns into a goofy joke.

That's why I never see the sexy art in those strange french books that are like Tin Tin but with tits.

I wish there were more animated series like this one

The Simpson's has way more adult themes during its Golden Age. Moral Orel is also adult despite its Catholic leanings.

Every single pretentious episode of Eye Drops

I have the vaguest recollection of a pretty good Sup Forums sex scene that used metaphors instead of explicitly showing the sex, but I'm drawing a huge blank.

Where the fuck is Wizards?

Unfortunately didn't make the cut but would certainly go on a "runner up" image if I ever made one.

Bakshi was already represented by American Pop when I started editing the list and I decided not to do any additions that would cause director repeats aside from those present when I began editing the pre-existing image (which I think was originally a Sup Forums bingo game?), and only because I couldn't decide which repeats already present to cut. Similarly I added Triplets of Bellville but chose to omit The Illusionist, but it was a tough choice between them. Hopefully people who watch the films on the image will get the idea to check out more stuff from directors of films they end up liking: there are other Rene Laloux, Ralph Bakshi, Don Bluth, Rankin and Bass, Don Hertzfeldt, and Michel Ocelot films I would have liked to add but it's not all encompassing enough for all of them.

>entire series still isn't on DVD

Waltz with Bashir, from the same director of

Mary and Max

Heavy Motherfucking Metal.

youtube.com/watch?v=_3YYgEC_9HU

You know I always thought that Bakshi hated Rotoscoping.

Meant to quote op.

>The Wrong Trousers
>Not "A Close Shave"

Fuck rrrrrrrrrrright off!

cant recall it for the life of me. what's the name of that one european film about satan and some other religious figure throughout the ages? it wasnt very good though

>emotionally manipulative
We call that "Effective writing"

So is akira, wich was just an animated teaser for the manga