Some may be outraged by what I have to say, but it must happen all the same...

Some may be outraged by what I have to say, but it must happen all the same. This man is the greatest filmmaker to ever live. Dunkirk was the final master stroke for me. His films embody suspense in its most deepest sense. How he was able to keep a film with a razor thin plot riveting is beyond craft. The student became the master long ago. His filmography is close to impeccable. He is truly a gift from God to us, and a gift to cinema forever. We truly don't even know how good we have it. He is the face of modern cinema, not movies, not flicks, not talkies, cinema, C-I-N-E-M-A. (Sir) Christopher Nolan, we commend you. Godspeed in your future endeavors. It is truly our honor to witness it.

>Laughs in Jew

Scorsese has too many hiccups imo. Plus Nolan you could say defined modern cinema or at least revived it. There's only a handful of directors who can handle blockbusters, and there's an even more minute group of people who can turn something that's not heavily engaging into a blockbuster. Who's better than Nolan at suspense regardless of the pay off. A tiny, tiny, tiny group.

It's also amazing how thrilling and intense his movies are without the slightest bit of gore or blood.

Bump de bump

Bump, bump, bump it up!

I agree. Dunkirk has to be one of the best movies I've actually gone to see at a theater in a long time

that opening sequence in the film is among the most striking I've ever scene, beautifully crafted shots in all aspects.

Definitely. Him dodging every bullet was the only flaw in that scene, the whole scene felt real and it was powerful

i mean probability wise, you are reasonable in saying that but it is completely possible to miss every blind shot, its not even miracle caliber, the civilians coming to save 300,000 is more miraculous in my opinion and that's actual historical happening

Yeah I agree it's why I said it still felt real, soldiers miss a lot of blind shots in general in real life

if it wasn't for the unbearable dogfighting it would have been a perfect movie

you sound like you would be a good mate to go to war with, cheers

>unbearable

what you mean?

Thanks m8
If someone ever calls you a coward frog I promise I'll get your back
I rather like dogfighting but I get what you mean, it did seem a little lacking.

*tips cap*

nice trips, what you mean, it was a perfect minimalist fight, it felt real and technical, no cg galore or exaggerated sequences, it was in line with the films total style, it was excellent

dogfighting is already boring as fuck unless you are a plane afficionado

in dunkirk it's not even suspenseful since not only we are not invested in the character, we already know he's most likely going to make it to the beach

to make matters worse, nolan deliberately uses these long, drawn out flying sequences to give the audience a feel of how near/far dunkirk is from england

I guess it was supposed to be unnerving, but to me it just felt like taking a 1 hour flight with some annoying fuck on the background whispering "tick tock tick tock do you feel the suspense yet? wanna get back to the beach plot yet? haha too bad here's so more ocean shots"

This, every scene felt real to me, I'm glad Nolan chose to make it so realistic, they even made the pilot not parachute because he was too low instead of him living a hero, the madman!
*helps you carry an injured guy on the boat to try and escape*

lmao my boy!

I praise the realism, but you have to ask yourself whether these scenes hinder or advance the mission of the movie (which to my understanding was "to depict the conflict realistically, in how it was carried by the actions of individuals, as well as the importance of it")

like I said here , these scenes serve a very clear function, to give the audience a notion of distance/time from england to dunkirk, and that in itself is ingenious

but they also break the tension, rather it lets out a different kind of tension, not anxiety, not unnerving, in what I conclude must be the result of the editing simply not being up to the task of connecting emotionally (heck, even logically) the three different timelines transpassing in three different speeds all with completely unrelated and undeveloped characters

which was a hell of a challenge desu and my only criticism of the movie (except the sub-par acting of the extras but that's simply nitpicking / asking too much)

so you are saying technically the dogfights were fine visually, however you think that the sequences were too long and affected the chronology, leaving you emotionally disconnected? because i disagree, i think the sequences in the air perfectly showed the contrast between the land and the air, the silence in the sky between the chaos of the beach was a effective contrast, they were tense in different calibers, one more so than the other

also its difficult to depict time in a flight sequence, its extremely difficult, even with the boats

I also enjoyed that contrast as it also builds the "so far but so near" feeling he was trying to convey

what bothers me is the fact it was too drawn out, again, it serves a purpose, but maybe with a few different cuts and by devising a new solution to connecting the timelines instead of showing the same event twice it wouldn't have left a bad taste in my mouth

however it really failed to feel tense to me, but that's not too bad as the entire movie can't be tension non-stop, although it also contributes to it feeling drawn out

i can understand ypu're scrutiny, to me another thing that is equally integral to suspense is the score, zimmer is brillant at drawing out tension sonically and pushing it to its extent, the music alone kind of holding a high note really extends the feeling even if nothing on screen is really taking place. its reallly remarkable how, like i said before, with a puny plot, he was able to bear much fruit. masterclass imho

I enjoy zimmer's work but in dunkirk the sound design/mixing takes the spotlight, jesus christ watching this in IMAX was an experience

to me the most remarkable achievement is how nolan manages to make you connect with the two main kids back at the beach without any fucking dialogue

and the french kid gets stuck underwater and drowns, right? I got bummed

Yes, he is quite scene constructor. Alot of his film's rely on realism, nothing is forced, even the dialogue is natural and colloquial. He's extremely efficient when he shoots, razor focus on what's important and he has elite photo-graphical taste, like the best of them. Everything is calculated, even the chaos in his films are finely tuned, nothing clumsy. I'm telling you man (you reminded me what i wanted to say), not many directors can make a film like dunkirk thrilling and anxious to the very end, the plot doesn;t give you much to deal with. if it was an independent film not many people would have high expectations and many things would be excused if it was lack luster. But Nolan made a blockbuster out of a tiny plot and made it intense to the very end. the whole thing is a very well crafted symphonic ride. an energy efficient one at that too.

the perfomances by the actors is superb as well, which brings me back to Nolan's genius, his crew casts extremely well, he only works with the best and expects nothing less, casting is a talent on its own as well, many people underestimate this quality