Is this Cartoon Network at their worst?

Is this Cartoon Network at their worst?
Nothing else represents Cartoon Network's dark age as well as Squirrel Boy.
I've always known it as a piece of trash but if any Sup Forumsmrade would like to enlighten me on a surprisingly good episode or joke, I'm all for it.

The episode where andy is convinced to buy everything in bulk was pretty good in memory.

Honestly I think this was on the same level of Camp Lazlo & My Gym Partner's A Monkey (forgettable but not offensively bad [like annoying orange for instance])

The big difference was Squirrel Boy was treated like it was going to be a flagship show so it seemed ever worse than something really terrible like The Cramp Twins.

>Cartoon Network's dark age
Go back to facebook

Out of all of them I think Camp Lazlo was the best. It was never bad and had a consistent quality even if it was milquetoast.

It was a bulk of shows with no direction or general concept we got during the time
I mean describe SpongeBob, he lives in a pineapple under the sea, he is a cook at the Kristy mean, his friends are Patrick star, sandy and his neighbor and co-worker squidward who hates him.
Describe squirrel you, it's a squirrel that acts like a boy and lives with a family
Describe monkey school it's a kid who goes to a school with animals, also he is friends who is a monkey
Describe the cramp twins they are twins, one is normal the other a freak.
It's not hard to understand why they fail. Most of the episodes end up being centered around school because where would episodes take place? Kids = school right?
Ed Edd and Eddy had no school episodes during the good seasons

It was made by rockos moder life creator and if you think about it you ccan tell the similarities

I don't even remember what the school was like in EE&E

you mean besides the artstyle and character design?

This, I haven't enjoyed anything on CN since these three shows ended aside from whatever Ben 10 show they were probably milking.

You didn't even like Regular Show when it first started?

My Gym Partner's a strange show because I think it started off pretty obnoxious and crappy but got better as it went along by turning into a Seinfeldian comedy where every character is an asshole and nothing ever good happens. The writers just stopped giving a shit.

There's also a big difference between the content comparing the first season to the last. The first season suffered the problem of a lot of shows back then by being heavily regulated and not allowing anything to risque. Towards the end of the show, there are more adult jokes and you can tell that the network relaxed a little on what could and couldn't be in a kids show. This was around the same time that Chowder produced which I consider to be the show that revived CN.

Honestly, there's so much to say about that age in Cartoon Network, Gym Partner's role in the network easing up on the content watchdogs, and the debut of Chowder. I feel like I could write an essay about it.

I wonder if eggman from /fa/ ever sued these guys for using his likeness

Didn't flapjack come out first? Cause that was the show that definitely made CN into what it is now

>is this Cartoon Network at their worst?
No, this is.
Lest we forget.

what do you mean by character design?
i remember the elephant kid being really similar to wilbur except less of a cunt and less angry, laslo was a lot like rocko, the moose was like ed.
It was a different show by all accounts but ver similar in style.
Squirrel boy was made by duckman creator and he really fucked up, i mean he went so far from duckman he had nothing

Chowder & Flapjack aired during CN Real. They most certainly did not 'revive cartoon network'.

Life-action shows that are aired on channels that are supposed to air animated shows are always something stupid.

CN Real was a mistake
The fact that they sank a lot of money into that crap is the reason why they're only greenlighting quarter-hour slop now without caring about the actual quality thereof.

Almost forgot about this one.
THIS. This was CN's lowest moment.

My gym partner's a monkey is strange to me because I always see it get shit on here when at its worst I only thought it was a mediocre show. I even remember liking a few episodes.

While squirrel boy and the cramp twins I totally forgot even existed because of how terrible they were.

Eh, I would argue Flapjack and Chowder kickstarted it. Despite being canceled, Flapjack heavily appealed to a lot of the 13-18 demo and showed there was a market for a show that was goofy enough for small children while also having humor that teenagers and young adults could find fun, and Chowder for a minute was extremely popular.

It wasn't until Adventure Time that they got that real magic though.

Flapjack is easily cartoon networks best show.

I consider the Flapjack/Chowder era to be CN coming out of that slump and then the debut of Adventure Time and Regular Show to be the revival.

chowder was miles above that shit and is heavily underrated, i mean it was so interesting visually alone that you pretty much couldnt look at a single frame and find it boring (cof cof adventure time), it also was surreal enough not to make the world seem too implausible but still reminding you every second that its still completely insane.
Well i forgot my point because i like chowder a lot, i remember very little about gym partner but i do remember the episode were he was completely obsessed with slapping his but so we got constant gross butt close ups for ten miutes, its still a completely soulless show. I mean a cschool run by animals seems like a cool idea but you need more than that for a show, you said it yourself, no direction. Thats the problem all these shows have

yes, absolutely

If that's so then why was it cancelled and replaced with Adventure Time and Regular Show?

Does anyone else feel like 2000-2002 were really mixed? We had high points like Samurai Jack, KND, and Maxwell Atoms shows, but also three of the most forgotten CN shows from what I've seen, Time Squad, Sheep in the Big City, and Robot Jones.

i like chowder more than flapjack even tho they both shine in very similar ways so there isnt really an objective reason to pick one over the other.
I guess i liked chowders world better, it seemed more inviting and it screamed you are going to have a fun time to your face

>i remember very little about gym partner but i do remember the episode were he was completely obsessed with slapping his but so we got constant gross butt close ups for ten miutes,
>mfw that episode got pulled from syndication

Time Squad was good, but I didn't care for Sheep in the Big City or Whatever Happened to Robot Jones.

knd was a masterpiece, so was samurai jack but i find the way knd managed to turn from the villain of the week format into a very fleshed out world stunning. It blew my mind as a kid the same way it keeps blowing my mind now

I see that you like many of our fine shows such as the secret saturdays.

Because it didn't have 80's nostalgia or ~*deep lore*~ like those Regular Show or Adventure Time. But for just a straight up comedy it was the cream of the crop.

i can relate. I saw that Flapjack was a great show but didnt like its style. Chowder was maximum comfy.

no surprise there
t really should have been the last episode, if i had a show and found out it was getting cancelled i would do exatly that

I'm still grounded with the idea that Uncle Grandpa is the bottom of the barrel. But since theirs other great shows on at the moment, I can't call it the dark age.

How many good series does an era need to have to be considered a golden age? Looking back at 90s CN, there are only really 5-6 shows that most people unanimously would agree are great.

remember how the series finale of time squad portrayed ol W. Bush as a incompetent idiot. still have no clue how that was aired.

uncle grandpa reminds me a lot of that failed show about monsters in a mountain that we got wich was absolute shit and fulled with gross ous humor.
To me they swampped ugly designs with random pictures and random shit alltogether, changed the plot a little bit and kept everything else

Same creator, and Wikipedia says that Secret Mountain Fort Awesome was based on characters from the original Uncle Grandpa short.

The real low point in CN's history was greenlighting Uncle Grandpa over 3 Dog Band from the Cartoonstitute shorts

Stuart Snyder, man. He was like a mad scientist, testing what did and did not work for the channel.

>that episode of MGPaM where Adam has his 'special' status removed
>his friends decide if anyone should eat Adam it should be them
>"That's okay. I'm used to you guys disappointing me."

CN couldn't handle all that pachyderm booty

Road Rovers sort of did something like that. They're last episode had a musical number with an almost swear in it

Haven't seen or even heard of 3 Dog Band, so I might be talking out of my ass here, but why does UG always get so much hate on Sup Forums?

Uncle Grandpa is the first kid's cartoon that has fucking cracked me up laughing. I know people jump to "It's just LOL SO RANDUMB XD bull shit" but it's like, LOL SO RANDUMB done right.
Idunno why, but it's just Goddamn hilarious to me, and I never understood the hate.

Its not the worst thing ever. What I don't get is why so many people hate it when I always felt it had a lot of the same quirks that a lot of the le 90s shows get circlejerked for.

>"Hey, Nick and Disney make bank off of inexpensive preteen sitcoms and reality shows, why don't we try that?"
>puts out shit like Tower Prep and a fucking kids, Man vs. Wild-esque survival show (just fucking, why?)
The only barely passable live action CN show was Destroy Build Destroy, and that was powered solely by having a semi-original concept and the godlike power of Andrew W.K.

Camp Lazlo was pretty good, imo.

I think UG is going to age well on Sup Forums. I've watched it a few times and it's about as entertaining as Flapjack but Sup Forums treats it like Gym Partner's

context?

Holy shit, this brings me back. I mostly remember that short episode where Rodney is treating Bob who has not only broken all the bones in his body but also suffers from a fever, this episode was often aired as sort of a bumper between other series. It was good for that I guess.

I was pretty excited when it was finally greenlit since I really liked the pilot, but when I actually watched it it felt a bit bland.

I've literally never met anyone who would remember that Sheep in the Big City even existed. I myself remember it barely.

I had some kind of french regional edition of CN for a couple of years, and that cartoon was so bizzare that I can't forget it at all.

I fucking love that show, haven't thought about it in a while though, seems really obscure for some reason.

That show was average at worst user.

>Tfw you remember when adventure time was new and people called it a flapjack ripoff

I vaguely remember liking it.

Why did horvitz voice him?

True, except Jim Staples was the one who said yes to Re-Animated, not Snyder.

this

AT, RS and by extension most of CN's contemporary lineup wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Chowder and Flapjack, not only because of staff that went on to do other things but because of their style. While dull stuff like My Gym Partner's a Monkey was going on these shows weren't afraid to be weird and even a little experimental.

this show's the only show i can think of from that era that's truly bland and forgettable

>that episode with like 6 straight minutes of them singing the same shitty song over and over again
I'D LIKE YOU TO LIKE MEEEEEE

i just remember the joke
>"if my dad see that his trophy isn't there when he gets back..... he'll know its gone!"
and that still cracks me up

UG is on some next level shit dude. UG is fucking omniscient

I remember towards the end of MGPaM, the show really doubled down on reminding Adam how screwed he was. There was one episode where he wanted to get ready for college and his friends mocked him for thinking he could get into any real universities after going to a school for animals.

PRETTY PRETTY

I'm 20. I feel mild nostalgia towards Mr Meaty, Catscratch, and other relatively average mid-2000s Nick cartoons.

I feel absolutely nothing but disdain for Squirrel Boy.

It was not appealing when I was a middle schooler. It's even less appealing as an adult. It makes that Crash Twins, or whatever it was, show look watchable. Mid-to-late 2000s CN was extremely horrible bar Toonami, Flapjack, Camp Lazlo, and Chowder.

Oh, and MGPWAM. I also heard Class of 3000 was good but I could never get into it.

Co3000's strength was the underplayed humour and music (of course, the music). I never loved it but it was extremely watchable.

Whenever that show didn't focus on Jake, it was good.

I unirronically loved Sheep in the city

I don't see what's wrong with it, it was pretty fun.

>Time Squad

That was some really good shit, almost Billy & Mandy level. I'm gonna rewatch some of the episodes now.

SITBC was wonderfully absurdist and a prime example of a cartoon Network cartoon that you wouldn't see on Nick or Disney.

I would say its mostly percentage. 90's CN might've only had 6 good shows, but they only made like 10 or 12 original shows int he 90's anyway.

Some one please say me the year that the dark age begin and the year that finish?

Chowder and Flapjack seem so forgotten now its almost depressing. Regular Show is going through that same spiral and adventure time, too. I think the big problem is people keep dumping these shows for anything that's more lore based with more action/drama. People are so starved for western action cartoons they want that out of the humor based stuff.

I'd say 2005-2008

2006 to 2010?

What do you mean forgotten? In general/forgotten by CN/forgotten by Sup Forums?

It's starts in 2005 and ends either at 2008 or 2010. Flapjack and Chowder were going into 2008 but AT and RS debuted in 2010

>I think the big problem is people keep dumping these shows for anything that's more lore based with more action/drama
No, Sup Forums is way too paranoid about this. The only lore/drama/action-based shows on CN's current lineup are AT and SU, and both have plenty of humor and episodic stuff. There are far less cartoons of that type today than there were in 2010.

What even constitutes a "lore" show? I know Gravity Falls and Adventure Time definitely count but does anything with a plot and a bit of continuity count?

For those who enjoyed Camp Lazlo and MGPaM, how old were you?

not really
it was better than the competition but still not great, you can tell rockos creator knew what he was doing and you could even take the show out of context and put it in the golden age and it would feel at home, not stand out in any way tho

I'd say that Lazlo is a decent show with a good two dozens episodes that are legitimately great. If there's anything that needs to happen on Sup Forums it's the development of episode watching guides.

>the only two lore heavy series are the two biggest series
>its all in your mind

i think it suffers from everything that made squirrel boy bad while still retaining a lot of what made more classic shows great.
So it doesnt belong anywhere really, lazlos biggest accomplishment was being a breathe of fresh air in a shitty lineup

>Describe Monkey School.
To be fair you are under describing this one.

That was some great shit

not really.
When you are asked to describe spongebob you are going to mention the pineapple under the sea. 99% of the population will
the monkey show nobody remembers will makke people stutter and struggle to remember anything about it.
Its not about how wild it gets but about how well the concept is crafted, with these shows it seems that it when straight from idea to production without sitting down and figuring out the shit

Gym Partner was made by two creators so right there you got a problem

>Describe monkey school

I USED TO GO TO A HUMAN SCHOOL WHERE EVERYONE WAS THE SAME

bump

By that logic Firefly was a garbage TV show and Jersey Show is top kino.