/lang/ - language learning general

How are you preparing for the X Century edition

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

Learning resources:
First and foremost check the Sup Forums Wiki. (feel free to contribuite

4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

Check pastebin.com/ACEmVqua for plenty of language resources as well as some nice image guides.

/Lang/ is currently short on those image guides, so if you can pitch in to help create one for a given language, don't hesitate to do so!

Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30 plus languages:

Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages:
drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk# (Links to the other folders, apparently it was taken down from the original drive)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qMuNjbiPEyU
youtube.com/watch?v=ogQQYg-zlic
youtube.com/watch?v=2uUhMIVHSNQ
youtube.com/watch?v=b2Am6Bk2pCQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ubgP3kgIgaA
youtube.com/watch?v=XrqsXar7vDU
youtube.com/watch?v=CMr485Nw1pg
youtube.com/watch?v=LcxDEnKm1w8.
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What do you guys do as far as accent/dialect choices for languages that are spoken in many places? For example, I'm studying Spanish and I've learned the general Latin American dialect my entire life, but most of the slang and idioms that I pick up are from Spaniards. I also want to learn French, but I'm not sure whether I should study the Parisian dialect or the Quebec dialect when I'm working on conversation.

Also: How many of you are studying a language in some sort of formal education setting like high school or university? If so, what sort of activities do you do outside of class to practice, and how much time do you devote to the language outside of class?

Me personally, I'm studying Spanish and Portuguese at the university level. Besides homework I do some language exchanges with the Brazilians and Spaniards here, and all my devices are in Spanish, but that's it.

I started studying spanish from Spain but what I noticed as i got better is that it really doesn't matter since 99% of the language really is the same anway. Also you will pick up on colloquialisms from many different countries by immersing yourself and talking to native speakers and you should have no problem communicating as long as you know the basics of the language.

After the over the top poetry from last times, something lighter as translation challenges this time

Shorter quote:
>Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it.

Longer quote
>Something wonderful, if you took the long view, was about to happen.
>If you took the short or medium view, something horrible was about to happen.
>It’s like the difference between seeing a beautiful new star in the winter sky and actually being close to the supernova. It’s the difference between the beauty of morning dew on a cobweb and actually being a fly.

Both sourced to Terry Pratchett's Reaper Man.

Anyone here studying linguistics? What branches do you like?

La luz cree que va más rapida que cualquier cosa pero se equivoca. No importa cuán rapida va la luz, encuentra que la oscuridad ha llegado allí primero esperándola

Don't learn the québec dialect, you'll sound retarded

right, I have traveled to different spanish speaking countries and had no problem, I was just thinking about how when you just learn a sort of "general" dialect it's more obvious that you're a non native speaker because people can't really pin you to one region or another.

I'm studying linguistics, I think morphology and phonetics are my favorite. It's invaluable in learning languages. Idk why it's not a requirement for language majors.

I think it's time to start taking my target language seriously after more than four years of bullshitting around it. Seriously depressing to think that I could be fluent right now if I stayed committed.

I just started studying, but so far those are my favorite subjects too. There is just something so fascinating about how we comprehend sound so differently in different language, especially stuff like allophony and assimilation.

What language?

just practice every day, even for a little while. Although it is the second language I am learning, I am picking up Polish words every now and then, but the noun declension for me is still a bit of a jungle. Still very fun though.

yeah it really is fascinating, and its super helpful for proper pronunciation! I took a syntax course when I first started and I fucking hated it, and also did really poorly. I wish I could retake it now that I take school more seriously because I'd imagine it would help with understanding non germanic or romance languages.

And russian

It really helped me with Japanese. After implosives and lateral fricatives, a simple alveolar tap or bilabial fricative is nothing.

może to moje środowisko, ale obecnie zauważam, że jest wielu ludzi próbujących uczyć się języka polskiego
chodźmy!

Are you a native speaker of Hebrew? Have you heard Aramaic (the closest related living language, I think) and if so how much can you understand? Just wondering, as a speaker of it. Here are some links of the eastern dialects which I can only assume are a little further from Hebrew:

youtube.com/watch?v=qMuNjbiPEyU
youtube.com/watch?v=ogQQYg-zlic

Classical (probably less eastern):
youtube.com/watch?v=2uUhMIVHSNQ

And yes, I'm looking for an excuse to bring it up as nobody here seems to be learning it.

By the way, how much is Talmud studied? It doesn't seem like it's very widely studied, but I don't know.

Yeah m8
well, im only in my first semester of linguistics. So im in ling 101. But i plan to get into language revitalization.
About to start going into our morphology unit

Going to self-study historical comparative linguistics, but been working too much.

Fuck I won't be able to do this til tomorrow. Don't die thread

bump

>Are you a native speaker of Hebrew?
Yes>Have you heard Aramaic (the closest related living language, I think) and if so how much can you understand?
There are a lot of common idioms and prayers in Aramaic. If you give me a simple sentence I might be able to understand the general idea, but I couldn't understand anything from these videos because they are spoken with an Arabic accent (which might be the correct accent), and I'm used to hearing all of those phrases in the Israeli/Hebrew accent, and reading Aramic written in Hebrew

>By the way, how much is Talmud studied?
Only in religious schools. I literally haven't seen a Talmud page in my life

>language revitalization
Since you are Canadian, I guess this is mainly about Native American languages, yeah?
Really cool, American languages are cool, and language preservation is very important

does any1 want to chat on kik to practice language? I can help with polish.
Looking for a russian friend

Russian

>but I couldn't understand anything from these videos because they are spoken with an Arabic accent (which might be the correct accent)

Many speakers started getting influenced by Arabic over the last century, due to Iraq and Arabization attempts. The 2nd video's dialect is both extra Arabic influenced and actually Akkadian influenced. The last video is pretty 'creative' in pronunciation and members of the church are somewhat more likely to know and use Arabic, so it might not be the right accent. But the other two are

Here is the spoken dialect that is presumably closest to what the classical one should sound like. It's not eastern.

youtube.com/watch?v=b2Am6Bk2pCQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ubgP3kgIgaA

Aramaic also needs protection/revitalization. I. S. I. S. destroyed one of the largest towns speaking it, which speaks one of the most conservative and Akkadian-influenced dialects, known as Qaraqosh. It has stopped being a native language in the borders of modern Lebanon in the last 200-100 years alone.

Where to learn Aramaic?

In Aramia

It was hard to find subtitled videos in case you're interested, but here are two

youtube.com/watch?v=XrqsXar7vDU (eastern)
youtube.com/watch?v=CMr485Nw1pg (central/western)

It depends on the dialect. The main dialect group today is Northeastern, spoken by eastern 'Assyrians' and Assyrian/Kurdish Jews. Some Western scholars have documented it, here is a trecent part lecture by aa British linguist who has written books about it. youtube.com/watch?v=LcxDEnKm1w8. I believe the Churches speaking it teach it and some middle eastern schools. Maybe you should find a native speaker. Maybe I should make an int wiki article or something since I keep talking about it and heard people want the wiki to grow but I don't think there are many resources.

The Aramaic homeland is the fertile crescent and certain parts of Iran, especially nowadays upper Mesopotamia. The original Arameans are a distinct ancient people, which as can be seen in the 2nd subtitled video some western Assyrians claim to descend from.

Recent three part lecture, I meant to say.

I usually try to chose sources with the accent I like more /want to mimic (whenever possible, it's hard as fuck to learn eu PT for this very same reason).
Learn metropolitan french btw.

Sadly many languages need help. So many of them will vanish in the next century or two ;_;

I never had a choice in English for obvious reasons. Here, British English is seen as exotic as fuck (and saying you speak it will make most people think you're pulling their leg).
Haven't thought about it at all in French, but I suppose I'll pick up the Parisian accent since we don't have canadian learning material. And in any case, if I can't understand quebecois people I'll just learn.

La lumière croit qu'elle bouge plus rapide que quoique ce soit mais ce n'est pas vrai. Même avec tout sa vitesse, la lumière toujours trouve que, n'importe où elle va, l'obscurité est déjà arrivée en avance et qu'elle l'attend.

Think I should have used découvre instead of trouve desu. Well rip

Attál, lü. Qtaloča ti ^_^

How do you say this in your language?

>Can't undo the trudeau

Aupaliţiřçoiř -Třûdôô!

bump

Is the Cree speaker/learner here by any chance?

?מי עוד פה לומד עברית

I lerne Deutsch seit zwei Monats, und bisher habe ich Filmen schauen und Anki nutzen zu lernen. Kann jeder mich erzählen welche Methode ihr nutzen?
Korrekturen sind willkommen.

still studying russian

I had some German in highschool but I didn't care about it but some of it got stuck in my head. Obviously Ich instead of I in a first word. Plural of Monat is Monate, not Monats, I don't know if it shouldn't be in Dativ (Monaten). But better wait for Hans to check it out

Bump

Francophones learn standard (Parisian) French in school.