Is he right about Zootopia?

Is he right about Zootopia?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ii7q2IZXM2Q
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

youtube.com/watch?v=Ii7q2IZXM2Q

He simplified the plot quite a bit just to make his argument look better. The point of Zootopia is that racism is often a two-way street, and even those that preach tolerance can still harbor hurtful prejudices that they've just accepted as "truths", ala the whole "predator DNA" bit.

It's not just "lol racism is bad", but more that racism is more than just outright hating a race.

I agreed with what he said, but it doesn't make the film less enjoyable.

>"Hotel Transylvania actually did it better"
>Accuses Zootopia of not being subtle enough but lists HT's "isn't that racist?" jokes as a positive

Honestly stopped watching

What's that replay thing? Never saw it.

>Straight edge looking weirdo
>Trusting anything he says

All i know is that he's really late to the party

You cant be racist towards foxes since its power + prejudice

Is he right, Sup Forums?

I feel like most movies today aren't allowed to exist if they don't have at least one preachy message

someone with a cow nosering AND ear dildoes is literally never right

>today
It's hardly a new phenomenon.

if you want to talk about zootopia wait three weeks, please.

Kinda be he exaggerates about it. Zootopia is harmless at the end of the day.

I'd like to really point out that despite the fact that they're even are good examples of "cute girls doing cute things" without them needing to blatantly fall into the trivial pit of regurgitated nonsense that are the constant cliches of a slice-of-life (except this time the characters know all about it, isn't that wacky!) such as Yuri Seijin or Little Witch Academia, there's not a whole lot to really govern more beautiful artistic mediums in a market where the lowest common denominator determines what gets popular and what doesn't.

Instead of getting another Jin-Roh or Mononoke (Princess Mononoke is pretty splendid as well), people instead buy into the cardboard cut-outs of continuous references of an obvious character archetype from the most sincerely bland execution of setting possible. It's really just the Japanese's fault that animation over there is as stereotypical as it is, with only choice hints of subversion for series that take a more opportune approach that usually only thrive off of pandering or other such shit.

It's a cruel reality, but the money speaks, and the Japanese folk that like that sort of shit were never the sort to ever get invested in anything above even mediocre, and that's just me being generous on their part.

>preachy message
>what is a theme

A message within the very setting is the very confines of telling and setting a story. Where the fuck have you been.

nothing he says is right.

>dr seuss snitches

yeah, previous version of Zootopia was basically this (also it was very offensive), but they were told to think HARDER than just this.

I'm not surprised that his video contains awful primitive 'humor' therefore I won't take anything that he says serious. So what is the point of the video then? Making it for idiots who enjoy such trashy 'comedy' who probably doesn't even give a fuck about whole message thing or even the movie itself?

Literally everywhere people consume garbage. The good quality stuff is rarely popular.

People are sick about Disney movies being so preachy, we heard it a million times and yeah this movie likes to push it's message down your throat even tho it kind of gets away with it because the characters are way more likeable in this one.
He isn't exactly right nor wrong, we can see DreamWorks going the exact opposite direction and its worse.
Disney should find a way of making quality content without having to resort to the moral of the week, big hero 6 was definitely a step in the right direction

Sadly, that much is painfully obvious. Quantity over quality is sort of a sad reality that we have to deal with, and despite the fact that the general crowd changes from one big hit to the other in terms of what they did, there's still not too much incentive for people to make "classics" today.

I know for recent releases, there's been a lot of measurable instances where that animation took a bold move against the norm and managed beautifully, but it's sad to me that "classics" to one man is something else entirely to another.

Can't tell you the amount of disappointment I feel well up inside of me whenever I talk to most fans about anime now and most of them have never even watched Akira. Fucking Akira, of all things.

I know my message was pretty over the top, but it's pretty precious to me nonetheless, so I figured I'd at least give a well-thought out answer as compared to the shit everyone figured out about Zootopia before Matt had to come around and fondle his nosering about it. Though, honestly, it still holds itself up well as compared to how he placed it against movies with different approaches to the scenario in question, but fuck it, that's for the comment section of that shit-show.

The only thing more annoying than a kid's movie trying to hammer some morality point home is some internet weirdo trying to shove his personal deep thought politics into the kid's film.

I just want to watch a movie and be entertained...that's it.

The thing I like about zootopia is that they were both sorth of right about their prejudice. I mean the fox was cunning and the rabbit naive and it makes sense too since one great in a city and the other one in a small town. If you grow up surrounded by a type of people you are likely to be like those people in some way or another, especially if you share genetic traits. Not every stereotypes is hateful but they all get treated the same, people should be way more laid back about this

But BH6 was directionless trash

And it had a moral of the week, to not let anger and vengeance guide your life

ITT /zoo/fags get triggered.

At the end of the day, the movie tries to teach kids about racism. A lesson they won't learn. A waste of fucking time.

>when predators act violent, it's because they're on drugs
>the drugs are made by the white prey to make the predators violent so they're justifiable in their oppression

Do you think you could raw parallels to the real world? Are there people who believe this?
Really makes you think.

Sup Forums has a sequelitis now?

the only thing i really agree with him on is that fantastic mr. fox is GOAT and mr. fox btfos nick any day of the week

No, and he wasn't right about Fantastic Mr. fox either as he kinda made up a bullshit interpretation just to shill it. Sad too because that is a genuinely good movie that should be watched but definitely not because its "allegory done right."

Pretty accurate comparison

so when does he get something so wrong everyone laughs him off the planet and max quits animation

>prey
>white
Only bunnies can use the "cute" word

The difference is that he isn't a giant hypocrite that by his own actions invalidates everything he says

As long as he makes funny meme animations of cartoons saying fuck, it won't happen. Not like it needs to, he's just some Internet asshole and not say John K. who tries to push his own ideals as absolute fact just cause he made one popular cartoon.

i love all these subtle jokes, like"touching someone's hair is wrong" while it's also to mislead the leftist.

Sup Forums is now the equivalent of Sup Forums

You're not gonna trick me into watching this.

Sad, but true.

But you are an absolute moron

All he's missing are dreadlocks.

You realize not letting vengeance direct your life isn't exactly a moral people can relate or use right? It isn't a moral it's more like the characters just growing

Same userbase.
I don't exactly miss having months with the catalog filled with only capeshit either

>brony
>nose ring and piercings
>shitting on zootopia
>has a fucking cat named after Hitler
why should I care what this idiot has to say

Because he used to make "funny" cartoons on Newgrounds.

Its very literally a Sup Forums Sequelitis.

I used harsh words I admit, but I dunno, the movie felt really generic and didn't work for me. It was just eh

I also said anger, which is a more general sentiment. But I see what you mean

I don't know to a lesser extent it can be.
I mean same way you won't use "overcoming racism" to uncover a racist conspiracy and avert a race war, you won't use "Don't let vengeance consume you" to spare your enemies but rather won't let you being wronged turn you into a bitter asshole who lashes out at the world and lets it fuck up their shit.

it was advertised like a marvel teamup movie, instead we got "boy and his robutt"

That's actually a good comparison, although I think Max is an edgy faggot, he's smarter than Egoraptor. So he probably won't make the same idiotic mistakes he did and get scared out of doing cartoons ever again.

It's more of a weird mix of Sup Forums and tumblr.

That's too much of a compromise, no.

It's a Firefox add on/Extension thing that I downloaded. It's not an official Youtube thing, nor will they ever do one.

Who gives a rats ass what this washed up nobody has to say on anything?

>Hotdiggedydemon

>moe was less of a thing in the 80s
yeah no. Moe CULTURE was less of a thing

Using the original definitions, possibly the most Moe anime of all time is Project A-ko. The problem is that it's morphed into this marketing juggernaut as a genre unto itself with cliche plots being used as a vehicle for character designs, which is the actual point now.

Gunbuster, Dirty Pair, and A-ko are all Moe. This is the height of what moe is, and they're all vintage.

No, in fact he's a pleb

Not going to watch this, I'm just going to guess it's Sequelitis but worse.

Fuck off Mattpat

>he's just some Internet asshole

Why does everyone think Max is an asshole? What has he done to give himself that title?

I would say it's better solely for the fact it's not Arin doing it.

Who?

I'm just saying that the movie pretty much spells out what Lawrence Fishburne says in Boyz in the Hood.
A lotta people believe it to be true.

No.
He makes the common mistake of confusing his own interpretation with subtlety. He doesn't know what he's talking about.

i think he's right about the racism message not working with animals

Racism is exclusively a human thing and trying to make it seem like animals can live together in harmony when lion king did the same message but better (the circle of life)

i just think this movie will confuse kids rather than teach them to not be racist

I think you guys are just jealous of Max because he's ocular and acting as talent unlike you

t.Mattpat

it was anything but subtle dude
you are making the common mistake of getting too emotional and invested in the movie so you take critisism personal

Buy an ad max. Also Yotam was always better than you.

He's also wrong when he says it can never work.

Animals as metaphor for race can work if they have zero animal qualities other than their appearance.

But Zootopia tries to do it both ways by saying that people (i.e. animals) aren't restricted by their nature (i.e. foxes don't need to eat rabbits, and so forth) while also showing that some animals are necessarily restricted by their nature (e.g. the sloths that are slow and the wolves that need to howl).

This the movie is transparently allegorical about Amiercan race relations, isn't that suggesting that some races have to act in a certain way? Just like sloths are slow, maybe Mexicans really are lazy, as like a genetic predisposition.

I doubt kids would over think it to that degree. Most would probably just take animals as being symbolic of human cultural differences not take it to the logical conclusion that in this world predators need to eat and they didn't necessarily bring up some kind of meat alternative. Atleast I don't remember one.
Also Max neglected that it works for more than simply racism as it's not simply predators and prey but a bunch of different mammals, all with their own differences and dynamics. Rabbits are apparently thought of as naive hicks and Judy gets tons of shit for being small.
I don't think that's what he's saying though, he's saying Max missed other possible interpretations because he keyed in on Predator v. Prey.
>Sloths that are slow
Only when they want to be.

>Mexicans
>Lazy

I'm triggered, they work harder than most people.

it's the drunks that are lazy

>I'm triggered, they work harder than most people.
1 out 10 work harder than most.
The rest sit at home waiting for that 1 in 10 to bring home the paycheck.

You ever live next to a Hispanic family you'll see 5 or 6 people living there all day long
It's a bizarre dichotomy, but there is merit to the stereotype that sit around and don't do anything all day.

>that one time Max kept being really pedantic, obtuse, and obnoxious. Like, more than usual
>Yotam agrily and genuinely tells "YOU'RE A FAGGOT"
>silence
>Max tries to laugh it off

You could tell he was genuinely hurt.

I miss Weisenheimers

>1 out 10 work harder than most.

source: my ass

You do know Yotam can be just as big of an annoying dick as Max, right?

Well no fuck, dude.
We're talking about racial stereotypes.
Let me fucking pull up the racial stereotype fact checker and see whether it's true or not.

Yeah, but they're totally different breeds of annyoying, opposite ends of a spectrum. They had a good chemistry because of it. I like them both in relation to each other, but I also enjoy Yotam's stand alone work.

>washed up
>800k subs
And hey, at least he's still making cartoons unlike some other "animators".

> smarter than Egoraptor
Having watched the cringey Q&A they did together at some convention, I find that hard to believe.

shit which one was that?

For a second i thought you were serious when you said "try living next to a hispanic family"

that'd be saying like "try living next to a black family"

sorry i'm hispanic and we usually get picked on alot around here

>Only when they want to be.
I always thought the joke was that Flash was too slow to remove his foot from the gas pedal.

I think he was trying to do like a Kaufman thing, but it really didn't work. Just like Rocco from Mega64, his façade is just annoying and cringeworthy when he leave the his little niche (internet videos, podcasts, etc).

I don't remember which, man, it was a long time ago.

>that'd be saying like "try living next to a black family"
Are you implying that a Hispanic family is also a contradiction in terms?

It is a positive because HT basically flat-out said what the audience was thinking.

I don't think that was the joke.

I think the joke was how unexpected the whole situation was.

nah

It isn't, but black family definitely is.

Plus the "prey vs predator" thing doesn't work when foxes and other animals have omnivorous diets

Yeha, Sup Forums

Foxes don't have omnivorous diets.
They're hypercarnivores

Omnivores are still predators, don't really know what you're trying to get to.

>Suicide Squad video coming

Either he'll tear that shit apart or he'll try to make the arguement that it's kino and you just don't get it.

Where would you put pigs?
They're as omnivorous as we are.

Pigs would be the most terrifying predator. Eating you as soon as you let your guard down. Nobody is safe.

>Pigs would be the most terrifying predator.
>would

The joke has 2 parts

The first is that the infamous street racer evading PD is Flash the sloth

The second is his slow facial change from petrified to relief to casual demeanor as he's going to get off scott-free with his friend as the officer that caught him

It depends if humans exist or not.

I just say internet asshole to refer to e-celebs is all. Like its not just limited to Max.

user is talking about Max's other supposed interpretations with HT and FMF with that comment which is absolutely true though; neither of those films are going for the interpreted meaning Max got, and HT especially since it was more of a "Meet the Parents" scenario than some sort of interracial romantic dramedy. Those "Isn't that racist?" jokes were just jokes. That doesn't make it a lesser movie but its certainly not what Max was interpreting it to be.