The New Golden Age of Animated Movies

>Animated moves are doing better than capeshit in theatres.

2016 officially marks the start of the new Golden Age of Animated Movies. If Storks becomes a hit, we will have five major studios (Disney, Pixar, Dreamworks, Illumination, Warner Bros.) actively competing and producing animated movies. Soak it in Sup Forums.

Also LOL at people who keep thinking Suicide Squad is a bomb.

INB4 "Where's BvS?! LOLOLOLOL!!" BvS was a spring release. This is for summer releases. Don't be a console wars faggot. Talk animated movies.

And losers as well.

Laika.

Surprised? No? Okay.

>Disney movies are doing better than rival capeshit in theatres.

Fix'd that for you OP.

Oh great... so now all the studios will start doing animation again, and 90% of it will be shit like Storks and Sausage Party.

>We did it, Patrick, we saved Animation!

Disney hits big or loses big. Check the losers chart - The BFG, Alice Through the Looking Glass, Pete's Dragon. All are going to eat into the profits that Disney made with other movies. Don't be a faggot.

Also, I was wrong. I forgot Angry Birds did well. So if Storks does well, that'll be SIX studios actively making animated features.

What's the time window they're looking at? Can't be all of 2016, since where are The Force Awakens or Zootopia, for example?

Summer 2016. Basically from May to August

Oh the ghostbusters actually took a loss?

I thought they managed to trick enough people into watching it desu

SUMMER releases

i wanted TMNT OotS to do so much better than it did. disappoint.

>Dreamworks
Has had one big success in the last few years, HTTYD2.
Unless you seriously think Trolls is going to be a hit this year, something I'd be willing to wager against.

The ongoing infantilisation of cinema. Children's cartoons and capeshit reign supreme.

>Warner Brothers
Has had exactly one animated film make money since 1996's Space Jam, which was The Lego Movie.

Which is why they are going to run THAT into the ground.

Illumination is owned by Universal Studios.

Pixar is a subsidiary of Disney.
So you have Disney, a Disney owned Studio, floudering Dreamworks, Universal, and one-hit wonder WB.

Sounds like every other year, honestly.

It made back the production budget, but not marketing.

Disney figured out what people want from movies. They cracked the formula.

That does produce bland films sometimes, but in a year that's been so fucking terrible for big-budget Hollywood entertainment it's nice to have a reliable source of cheap thrills.

>kubo lost 80 mill
>on a 60mill budget
>it has only released on like 5 countries
I call bullshit

Doesn't always work judging by The BFG and Through the Looking Glass.

Disney has an incredible distribution network, with powerful ties to the swelling Asian market.
They also have a ton of resources dedicated to full-time animation, unlike WB or Amblin Partner's Dreamworks.
Disney and it's subsidiary Pixar are simply bigger than everyone else put together.

They don't necessarily tell better stories, but they have better technical resources, and a wider marketing and distribution net.

They are the Microsoft or Apple of Animation.

Films that are still in theatres and ongoing will make more and this chart will change. Kubo still isn't doing well and will end up as a loss because studios don't take in the full amount they earn at the box office. Then there's marketing. I've seen Kubo ads everywhere, so I'm assuming it had a pretty substantial marketing budget to cover.

It's awful marketing though.
To be a big hit, you have to get kids to HAVE to see an animated film, and they drag the family along.
Kubo is trying to sell itself to the arts-farts crowd of animation auteurs, a tiny fucking audience.

AND it's boy-centric, which is generally death for animated box office.
It's all about little girls and goofy animals.

Lego Movie is a huge outlier on the whole girl/fuzzy animal trend.

>kubo is a boy

I know but I still found it hard to believe when I first watched the trailer.

>Doesn't always work judging by The BFG and Through the Looking Glass.

Both of those had fucking awful trailers, and Looking Glass had the "advantage" of Johnny Depp backlash finally hitting the mainstream. He might actually have to start acting again to make his money.

>Disney and it's subsidiary Pixar are simply bigger than everyone else put together.

Every studio putting out blockbusters has the sufficient distribution network to get people to care about them. Warner, Universal and Paramount are not scrappy upstarts.

I really think it's a quality thing. This year has been terrible for mainstream blockbusters, if you cut out all the Disney stuff the only movies that were even halfway decent were Star Trek Beyond and The Nice Guys(to be fair i didn't see Kubo yet).

The regular audience doesn't have a high bar of quality, but most of the films aren't even hitting that. Disney can at least deliver meat-and-potatoes.

>Disney figured out what people want from movies. They cracked the formula.
Disney really isn't infallable. They get by on three things these days - animation (Zootopia), nostalgia (Jungle Book, Finding Dory) and Marvel (Civil War). Everything else crashes hard (The BFG, Alice Through the Looking Glass, Pete's Dragon, etc.). I'm guessing Pirates 5 won't do too well and it'll be Depp's last hurrah with the mouse.

Studies show that women are incapable of empathising with male characters, while men can empathise with female ones just as easily as male ones.

>source myass.moe

>Kubo
>At an estimated loss of more than what the movie is said to have cost to make
>Despite at 40mil gross in just a few weeks

Like it ain't hitting billions, but no idiot is thinking this movie won't be in profit town once Blu-ray comes around in time for Black Friday.

>Every studio putting out blockbusters has the sufficient distribution network to get people to care about them. Warner, Universal and Paramount are not scrappy upstarts.

Warner Brother's Superman vs Batman had to scamper out of the way of Disney's Civil War Captain America sequel.

The Disney tentpoles are the 800lb Harambes that other studio's films try to schedule clear of.

And Disney has a clear leg up getting films distributed in China, which only accepts a set number of American films per year, and is the second largest audience on the planet, roughly on par with the US market.

fart

>Disney really isn't infallable. They get by on three things these days - animation (Zootopia), nostalgia (Jungle Book, Finding Dory) and Marvel (Civil War).
First off, Finding Dory is animation and is only 13 years old. Jungle Book is 99% animation and no one was nostalgic for it's return.

And incredibly, you don't mention that it now has the Lucasfilm properties to draw massive profits off of. Star Wars alone will be more profitable for them than anything WB could offer unless they breathe life back into Hogwarts.

I'd say that's enough for any Studio.

>Star Wars
>Not nostalgia.

Things that were never said for 1000

Star Wars has never stopped releasing books, animated series, video games, merchandise of every possible description...

You can't be nostalgic for something that has never gone away.

There is a massive fucking problem though,

disney is trying to monopolise and if that happens, it'll be another dark age

>War Dogs

Really?
Not surprised. Or, I am. They advertised the shit out of it.

fuck you just made me realize that I literally haven't seen any cinemas in where I live post anything about Kubo. FUCK