Am I the only one that found Peter Pan to be extremely creepy?

Am I the only one that found Peter Pan to be extremely creepy?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Driscoll
suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/3334499/
pastebin.com/ijBbXcYg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Well he is a total asshole (unsupervised kids turn into assholes who would have guessed) who mutilates people for luls.

The life story of the kid who voiced Peter Pan is a fun read.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Driscoll

Child actors always end badly

In the books he was really fucking bad. Like, way worse. Like, forces real children to live on imaginary food and will sometimes take lost boys who've grown too old for his liking away from the place where they live and when he comes back he'll pretend as though they never existed and no one is allowed to question it kind of bad.

He's also the ghost of a dead baby who was spirited away by fairies and who returned to find his parents with another child, and it fucked him up apparently.

That's some nasty shit m8

i always thought he was in that part specifically. like i think he's supposed to look all mischievous and mystical but it shoots the moon and just ends up looking creepy

Michael Jackson wanted to play Peter Pan in a movie, and even pretended to be him in real life to a certain extent.

I think that says it all right there.

He should be. The thing you need to understand is that Peter Pan was a child raised by faeries.

Not the disney "oh we're so cute and funny and nice" fairies, but the old school fair folk that would sour milk, kill animals, kidnap children, and one more than one occasion rape women. .

Tinkerbelle? Her whole deal was that faeries can only have one emotion at a time (because they're so small) so that when she gets jealous of Wendy, it's an all consuming "I'm going to kill this bitch by any means necessary" crazy yandere kind of envy.

Hook is also a respectable gentleman privateer who went to college and has no idea how he got there or where there even is. At the point that the story takes place he's also basically existing in a time period when he shouldn't.

Also, I should point out that there's a theory posed about ghost baby Peter often, which basically boils down to He probably had no idea where his house actually was. Like, some people think the story eludes to him having not actually returned to his old home to see his parents with another child, but that he just walked up to a random house and said, "Yeah, this is probably my house," and then looked in and saw a completely different family and it pissed him off. Peter has no solid concept of time, too. At the end of the last story he tells Wendy he'll come back for her very soon and then basically leaves and returns immediately as far as he's concerned and Wendy is a super old ass woman. So he takes her daughter instead, has some adventures, and then tells her the same thing. Leaves. And returns super immediately to find she's also an old woman with a daughter, so he takes her. And he repeats this process forever, basically. So it might not have been his parents, because he may have been gone so long his parents moved or died, not just had a new child.
He disappeared, by the way, via jumping out the window as a very small child and just flew away to a garden where he tried to convince other children and ghosts to stay with him. There, he may or may not have been responsible for the deaths of children via drowning. Before he went home got pissed and then fucked off to Neverland.

In the play and book it's at least partially deliberate. He's the epitome of childhood and someone's whose never grown up. He's not sadistic but his empathy isn't fully developed.
Combine that with a fair amount of power and you've got a being whose a lot of fun but not the safest.
Wendy, Peter, Michael and the Lost Boys find they're happy ending at home for a reason.

Heck in the very original drafts he was a flat out villain who stole children.

well anytime I hear anyone bring up Peter Pan now a days the only response is how creepy he is for taking kids to an island so no

Nah, there've been dark/horror books based off of Peter Pan. And they don't really have to change much.

Peter Pan is the personification of youth and childhood. Yes, he is innocent, yes he is fun, but children are also cruel and heartless at times and self-absorbed and so he is that too.

The fact that he has superpowers only emboldens in and he has no authority figure to reign him in and he loses his memories frequently, so he never learns or matures or grows wiser.

Which is why Wendy ultimately decides to leave Peter and Neverland because she understood who he was.

The original point of Peter pan was that kids could be huge dicks and that Peter pan was basically a manchild that should be pitied.

You mean he's a brony

Even as little boy myself I wanted Hook from "Peter Pan and the Pirates" to win with this faggot.

In J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan, the defining traits of children and fairies (and Peter Pan especially) is that they are innocent and heartless. Peter himself is an especially poignant case: being stuck in childhood means that he cannot learn from his experiences--or even remember them. At the ending of the traditional stage play, when Wendy is starting to outgrow Neverland, she mentions that Tinkerbell is dead of old age (fairies don't live very long) and Peter asks, "Who's that?" Also note Peter's merriment and delight at killing pirates and Indians.

It's also mentioned that when there are too many Lost Boys, or they started growing up, Peter "thinned them out."

Nah, you're just a weirdo OP. Peter was a pretty cool guy. I have a lot in common with him actually.

A brony of the early 1900's maybe.
Maybe even before that.

Reminder that Peter Pan was originally going to be the villain of Fables.

And isn't he a villain on that Once Upon a Time show? I have to get around to watch that someday

In the original draft of the novel, he would murder the Lost Boys when they got to old, that's why they were always boys.

God damn, user. Peter Pan literally died from a heavy heart.

>In the original draft of the novel, he would murder the Lost Boys when they got to old
Thats a fucking lie, user. It was that bitch Wendy who used to drug the lost boys with her nightly "medicine" . Peter never understood why his lost boys would die at a certain age.

which is weird because he simply never showed up at all.

Fables fell apart hard near the end anyways.

I always liked him due to the fact he was such a badass.

in my head he would be one of the top swordsmans in some weird giant interconnected universe.

A BLOO BLOOO BLOO
Shut up, bronies are better than half the fanbases on this board

I'm looking at you, SU fags

Jesus Christ.

Thats why michael jackson liked him

pan is an asshole it's not weird to be creeped out from him

Pan is a wonderful boy who will out live you.

I prefer Peter and the Star Catchers, thanks.

>but the old school fair folk that would sour milk, kill animals, kidnap children, and one more than one occasion rape women. .
So like the ones from Lords and Ladies?

You're not missing much, that show is complete dogshit. The entire thing is like a really bad fanfiction that somehow got greenlit to be an actual show. Hook went through the worst "Draco in leather pants" wankery I've seen in recent memory, and I'm still pissed off at how badly Chernabog was handled.

>Chernabog could have been final season bug bad and personification of Darkness
>lolno lets make him a random monster of the week

what's the best version of Peter Pan to buy? I want some gorgeous illustrations

A random MoTW was able to walk in broad daylight no less. Did these idiots do research in what they're trying to adapt? Because that alone contradicts Chernabog's very existence.

That's not my Robin Williams

He's a Feywild.

He'd eat your fucking guts if he thought it was fun.

Peter has such incredibly bad memory that while flying with the siblings to Neverland he almost lets them fall into the ocean because he forgets that they can't fly.

Probably because they'd have to pay a copyright fee to air it in the UK since Peter Pan has a perpetual copyright in the UK since the author willed the copyright to a children's hospital.

Doesn't the copyright only hold up for the stage play? I remember that Moore got Lost Girls released in Britain with that argument.

>and one more than one occasion rape women. .

How would you even know you were being raped by a fairy? Their dicks have to be pathetically tiny.

can I use that as an excuse

I thought I was the only one that read that book

You shut your whore mouth. Michael had a pure heart.

"Your honour, how could I have raped this woman if she testified that at no time did she feel my penis enter her? How your honour? How?"

I used to watch that show with my mom. I still say Rumble should've murdered Hook and that bitch of an ex-wife. I can't believe it's female audience actually gets behind her abandoning her husband and son to have pirate adventures.

And don't forget this shit.

>the new Chewbacca defense

pretty much

I don't see the problem.

abandoning your spouse and children to go have an exciting life is the guilty fantasy of everyone who regrets marrying too soon
it's basically the adult changeling fantasy

The whole series is pretty great.

Imagine if you will a horror adventure story of Peter Pan, children with clothing in disrepair playing in a wild woods near to dance around a tree stump as some near to elfin boy lands on it softly from above.

Today we'll play pirates and sailors! He declares for all to hear, to a cheer in raucous response.

Let me be the pirate! Let me! The clarion voice of one boy echoes. And it is thuroughly agreed upon since of them he is the tallest. They pass to him an eye patch, which he wears and then growls in fun with a long held argh.

No no, that isn't quite right. Posits the boy on the stump as he falls cross legged. Take off that silly thing and come here, James, I have a better idea.

The boy complies as pan rolls off the log.

Hold steady, he says as he pulls the boy's hand across the tree stump. Hold him tight everyone, I don't want to miss and we want to make you the best of pirates, James.

They cheer and hollar and yowl to this, James does too. Has arm held fast and tight as the boy floats around the scene, inspecting it. He draws a dagger and lines up his aim as he settles among the boys lost to his intents and charm.

James quiets as he looks at the blade. Awake perhaps for the first time in god knows. Fear takes him as he struggles against his friends. Who are they, how long have they played like this.

Today, James, you'll be called Captain Hook!

The blade falls. They scream in jubilation, he screams in agony.

On older man, much older, wakes in a bed chamber with a start. He looks about in fright and brings one hand to his face to steady himself. Staggering in the dark to a mirror and basin, he uses that same hand as he keeps his oter arm down to splash some water on his face.

By dawn he has been awake for hours, sitting half dressed in his study drinking gin, bourbon, or some other appropriate spirit.

His walls hold many books and maritime military accolades. A saber rests over the mantle. Lifting the arm left derelict, he stares at the covered stump.

With the sun he finally begins the looming day. Getting dressed and tending to matters of his holdings and business. Correspondences both local and abroad. The dream was one you were accustomed to, but this time it felt more real than it had in ages. This disturbs you.

Master Darling! Your housemaid explodes into the room, an urgent telegram has come from your younger brother in London.

You niece and nephews have gone missing. Taken in the night through an open window by means unknown.

Your reply is urgent, instructing your maid to send your bags after you by courier and deliver your own message to the telegraph office.

You don your coat and catch the next train to London.

Your brother is a sound decade and a half your junior, though he grooms himself as older with a mustache mimicking that of your father and yourself. The resemblance between you is quite uncanny. His wife cannot bring herself to leave the children's nursery, where the abduction happened in the night. You find your brother in his own study, what was once your father's study, accompanied by and being comforted by the family dog, a St. Bernard you always thought he couldn't stand.

You are disturbed... You know what did this even if Scotland Yard does not. You wonder if your brother even remembers.

please continue

Will do, switching from mobile to lappy. It's doing an update.

According to the creator, Peter Pan is meant to represent someone that is completely innocent.

He doesn't has the concept of good and evil, he is amoral and wild,more of a member of the fairy folk than human. One of the evidences of it is even on his name, that is meant to be based on the greek god Pan.

The earlier drafts of the story had him in a more sinister light.

Also they guy who wrotte the story was a fucking weirdo, with fucking weirdos as parents.

you remember..you remember standing in this room as a young man and officer. Your father sat where your brother sits now. There was something in the nursery, a toy you hadn't seen since you were a boy. A toy you knew had not been in that nursery for a long long time.

No idea how you would do it, you promised your father that you would bring your brother back. Almost no one would believe you, then, but you would find away.

And you had. Sure as he sits there now.

His wife enters holding a toy, its old. Something she doesn't recognize, he does. He hasn't seen it since he was a boy, and you know he doesn't remember. And you know with perfect clarity what you must do.

That night you send out telegraphs by the score. Pulling favors and spending money.

Less than a week later you stand on the docks before a well kept antique of sail and gumption. A steamship would have too much iron and steel, it would never arrive where you seek to go.

So you hope as you test your saber that you have brought enough iron.

To your upset, none of the old contacts you asked were willing to serve as first mate for the journey. You'll have to select someone from among the rest of the hired crew.

An old and familiar voice calls out from behind you. Heavyset and short, but familiar all the same. Dragging bags behind him and shaking your lack of hand rather than the one you still have.

There are a lot of types of fairies.

Fairies as only tiny humans is a modern creation.

To my knowledge, and this is terrifying, with the exception of the part of the ending of the book where Tinkerbell dies and the canon names of Wendy's daughter and grand daughter being different: Hook can actually fit into Peter Pan canon with minimal issue. There are some small discrepancies and character personality changes, but Hook COULD be canon if it wanted to.

Lancelot is literally English myths' biggest fucking bull. As in he cucks Arthur FUCKING HARD and it rang out across history for fucking ever. Making him a black guy is almost racist against blacks in and of itself, because it plays into the idea that black guys are only good as bulls and should be seen as a sexual adventure or a conquest for white women and not as people.

Intelligent, nihilistic and with a wicked sense of humor?

Isn't Lancelot also basically a mary sue that was inserted into the myth long after it's original telling?

Mister Schmee, a smile cracks across you face despite the dire tidings ahead, such is the balm of a good friend.

s'me a'right, his cockney tongue laughs as he slaps you on the back. He had heard from some of the old boys that you were putting a crew together, then he heard about the children. Why not drag an old sea dog out of retirement if you needed a first mate so badly.

Because, you explain, he deserves his rest for all he's done.

Well, rest is for the dead. And he's damned bored.

Your crew sets sail within the hour, toward open water. It's days until you think you're where you need to be. The crew alight with whispers as to what this venture was all about. Sure they were paid a premium, most of them veterans, but what mad errand had you brought them on.

You order the navigator to watch the sky at dusk for the first star off the starboard. Plot it and identify what constellation it belongs to or within any proximity and track it.

Track it through the night until dawn.

bronies have a whole board to contain their faggotry

>says the person whose entire board is made up of CYOA's

You don't get to call yourself better than anyone, go back to your containment board.

So he's like chaotic neutral?

In the books, Schmee is actually implied to be heavily mentally handicapped and that's why children like him. Something like, children like the child minded.

Kind of, but honestly, a lot of Arthurian legend can be argued to be as such. Lancelot is just as valid as most of the other characters. Most Arthurian legend takes place in the 6th century or so, and was written in the 12th century. Lancelot is a character who showed up in the 12th century, so it's really not as though he was created at a different time than the rest of them. Not late enough to be unusual, anyway.

so is most of the Round Table. Merlin is probably the biggest offender of them all.

The island looms ahead in the dawn. Colors more vibrant than anything your crew had ever seen before.

When you make landfall, you warn them all to bring their weapons. This shall not be a safe journey, and if they want to live...they best not believe in faerie things. Mister Schmee brings you something he'd been saving. A cap to your stumped arm. The hook.

When you land upon the beach, this place remembers. The color drains in vibrancy where you step.

Today you are not Captain Darling, veteran of Her Majesty's Royal Navy, you command your crew as you remember the name he gave you upon your first return to the island.

Today you are Captain Hook.

-fin

>that Peter Pan was a child raised by faeries.
>Not the disney "oh we're so cute and funny and nice" fairies, but the old school fair folk that would sour milk, kill animals, kidnap children, and one more than one occasion rape women. .

I love this shit. Faerie folk do what they want, and that's exactly how Peter acted. I don't know, I love stuff like that.

Sort of. He's without morals or understanding of what morals even are, really. He doesn't quite understand the concept of morality because younger children often don't without being taught. It's kind of a good juxtaposition against the idea of what a pure character is. A pure character is almost always written as good, Peter is neither good nor evil, he simply is.

His alignment would be hard to hammer down, though. Chaotic Neutral, possibly. But he could just as easily be treated as true Neutral.

Yeah, but Lancelot always seemed super sueish. He replaced Gawain as the strongest knight in the realm, fucks King Arthur's wife and just generally acts like a fanfiction character.

That's because he is.

He was created by 12th century French writers while Arthurian legends is dated to be based on Pre-Anglo Saxon Briton.

Is this from something or did you write it? It's pretty good.

>You order the navigator to watch the sky at dusk for the first star off the starboard. Plot it and identify what constellation it belongs to or within any proximity and track it.

>Track it through the night until dawn.

This part's neato

His fucking Arthur's wife ultimately leads to the fall of the kingdom he was supposed to be serving and was sworn to follow, though. His death is at the hands of regret. He literally dies of sadness because Arthur and Guinevere both die and he knows it's his fault. It starts out feeling kind of Sueish, but I think the idea that his death and the fall of the kingdom are actually put in motion by the sueish shit he does near the start is a good one. It's like adding a sue to a story, having them act as they do, and then beating them over the head with the consequences until they die.

Guinevere refused to see Lancelot after Arthur's death. She blamed them both for his death and the fall of his kingdom, so she becomes a nun and hides her face in shame from Lancelot for the rest of her life. To the point where she eventually starts dying of complication and when Lancelot has a dream about it, he rushes off to save her and she prays herself to an earlier death 30 minutes before he shows up so he doesn't have an excuse to come face to face with her.

I remember a greentext on /tg/ about a campaign some guy ran where the players played Hook's crew and Peter Pan was a vampire lord

I was misremembering it. It was neither a greentext or a real campaign. Still a good story though.

suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/3334499/

Actually, it's just terrible french writing.

The French had a huge boner for sad endings and the folly of humans as a moral against Pride.

Arthurian legend was actually a pretty rad heroism story turned into a depressing cuck fantasy by the french.

The idea is actually from an rpg.net thread from a few years ago about how to do a heroic captain hook. I just tweaked it heavily and played with it.

In the thread piece Hook isn't a Darling brother, and the rescue of the Darling children is his first return to neverland. There was a thought up scene where a sailor is swarmed to death by faeries on the beach, and hook strides toward the swarm as it turns toward him and simply says, as they are all but upon him, "I don't believe in faeries" and they all drop dead to the ground and litter around him.

I thought to add Hook & Mr. Darling being brothers because in the stage plays normally Hook and Mr Darling are the same actor. And I thought to make Mr Darling once an abductee who was rescued because of the scene in the animated movie when Mr Darling says he recognizes that ship, he saw it once when he was a boy.

In the book, Tinkerbell convinces the Lost Boys to shoot Wendy

What was the original arthurian legend like, then?

Whenever you see it in modern times it's always about Lancelot's betrayal

The Original FACTUAL part of the Legend.

Some Celtic Warlord named Artorias ( or Arturus depending on the direct translation ) meaning THE BEAR, Fights of Early Saxon invaders to defend his Kingdom.

English legend is Le morte without Lancelot and much happier.

How does the story end if not the fall of Camelot?

>Some Celtic Warlord named Artorias

Mordred and the fall of Camelot is still there.

All the french did was add their OC donut steel and make the other Knights like Gawain useless.

Artorias or more accurately Arturus is a Brittonic meaning for "Bear-King"

So Arthur was pretty fucking metal.

>Thread starts off about Peter Pan
>A day later it's suddenly about King Arthur

Arthur is a better story than Peter Pan.
The only thing Pan has going for it is Tinkerbell.

Fae folk aren't just the tiny winged creature that you see now in Disney.

I really had a great time in a fae thread in /x/. I got lots of interesting book titles about it.

List 'em.

Love how Nocturnal Me by Echo & The Bunnymen played when I read "Track it through the night until dawn."

I really enjoyed that, user. I really did.

>The French had a huge boner for sad endings and the folly of humans as a moral against Pride.
It's funny how this never changed

The list is long, so I put it up in pastebin.

pastebin.com/ijBbXcYg

Most titles have links to the epub/pdf file of the books. There are also a couple of YT links there, that I think are fae related.

>all these fae dolls in google images
yooo why didn't I come across these before

Anyone else read Peter Pan in Kensington Garden?
It's really interesting, doesn't all line up with what's written in the play but you can imagine Peter's history being similar to that before going to Neverland.

Barrie also noted once in his lectures that Hook was once an etonian. That once he revisited the school and sat on the wall, but when a policeman came up and asked whether he was an O.E he denied it so as not to ruin the reputation of the school. His last words before being eaten is the Eton motto. wonder if he ever fucked a pig?

For all the media drawing from Peter Pan, very few seem to use the existing material by J.M Barrie. Wish they did.

I'll forever be bothered that Arthur's first recorded appearance is a cameo in the story of his cousin in Olwen & Culhwch where he just lends his massive army to help with the quest.

Which means that Arthur was a known figure by then that the storyteller could assume his audience knew about. So there are probably a lot more more older stories about this guy that have been forever lost to time.

>Speak welsh and watched Arthur
>Arthur looks like a bear
>Arth is welsh for bear so that makes sense to me.
>They tell me he's a fucking aardvark.
Pisses me off.