Break down exactly what makes this show irredeemably shit

Break down exactly what makes this show irredeemably shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/PRBsJmLveKQ
youtube.com/watch?v=fbGkxcY7YFU
youtube.com/watch?v=-XNFokmDKrE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No, because my opinions aren't fact.

It's not funny.

They lost what little subtlety they had and everything went to shit.

Poor humor
Lazy cutaways instead of natural jokes
Over-reliance on gore to get shock-laughs
Unlikable characters
No waifus

they stopped telling jokes and instead created time-wasting segments to lengthen the duration of episodes

Characters too unlikable and tryhard.

There's an American Dad episode where Roger literally murders a child onscreen and yet he's still funny and likable, whereas FG does edgy shit and it's awful. Specially when they try to do emotional shit like "oh they really care about each other after all :)"

Ladies and gentlemen,Mr. Conway Twitty

The overuse of cutaway gags alone.

It's amazing how there are people that defend unfunny retarded shit like that.

The show was dead to be when they turned Brian into an unapologetic liberal douche...who's also a bad writer

Why they thought that doing this joke around four to five times was a good idea is beyond me.

Why are American atheist so hostile towards Religion?

Because America is a religious country?

Fuck off, Brian. Go back to being dead.

They think they're special cause "Muh oppression".

I could see it being funny from an "LOL RANDOM" sort of way but all of that was lost when they extended it for the amount of time they did, and the ammount of times they did it

The main killer of the show's quality is its reliance on humor that has nothing to do with character or even plot. And of the humor that comes from character, it's mostly godawful cliches and stereotypes. For a good example, look at Mort: In the first three seasons, he wasn't anywhere near the Jewish stereotype he is in every season after the uncancelling. In fact, every character has gotten worse in terms of broad-strokes characterization since the uncancelling. Just look at Brian, who wasn't nearly as much of a pretentious liberal douchecanoe in the first three seasons.

And none of that would matter as much as it would if the characters didn't all hate each other. Sure, the Griffins are family and they all proclaim to love each other now and again, but they all treat each other so horribly that you can't possibly believe them.

Oh, and the attempts at shocking viewers with gore and gross-out content are just lazy bullshit. In the first season, one of the funniest cutaway gags was Peter pressing a button and getting laid out by a roundhouse kick, no blood or broken bones necessary. Nowadays, that gag would have Peter being beaten nearly to death - or just outright killed.

This show at least tried to be funny in its first three seasons. Now it's just coasting on the fact that Seth makes Fox a shitload of money in syndication, which means he can do pretty much whatever the fuck he wants.

Fuck Family Guy.

They think they can use shock, randomness, gross-outs, repetition, and pop culture references in place of actual humor.

Characters are incredibly unlikeable, hostile and cookie cutter bland even by adult cartoon standards.
They also serve no actual purpose as the show's humor comes from cutaway gags instead of anything character based.

They draw jokes out by explaining why they're supposed to be funny.

Instead of slapstick, characters are hurt in overly gory fashion.

They soapbox about social issues with the tact and subtly of someone farting into a megaphone

None of the above is funny.

1. Flanderization of characters, 2. Overuse of cutaways which are rarely funny/clever nowadays, and 3. Misuse/overuse of shock humor.

I'd love to give specific examples of when they did these things right in the first 3 seasons vs. when they did it wrong from season 4 onwards....but I don't have the time

I will mention this one particular thing, though: the Quagmire/Brian 'feud' is retarded.

>the Quagmire/Brian 'feud' is retarded

Yeah, it would be one thing if Quagmire's dislike for Brian was set up through an actual arc or storyline in the show - even just background gags - but Quagmire's entire call-out is based on things that we never once see him do or hear him complain about. The soup kitchen line is a good example: When has the show ever had Quagmire do the kind of charity work that he berates Brian for not doing?

It's that kind of laziness - creating a "feud" out of thin air without any real setup or work put into it - that permeates the writing of this show.

I stopped watching after the episode with the hilarious 20 hour long fight between peter and a chicken, couldn't take the hilarity anymore

because american religious people are hostile towards atheists

Americans seem pretty hostile over meanigless nonsense.

Well, yeah. That's our right, motherfucker.

U-S-A U-S-A U-S-A

Brian

Very poor animation. Characters are perpetually in 3/4ths view and seem to have a limited palette of gestures.

I really hope you weren't expecting Ghibli-level animation from fuckin' network TV.

Well, you do have the right to be angry, but you never really have to worry about that because you also have the right to carry a gun.

It's written by manatees

You know there are various levels of quality between the two, right?

go to bed papa nichols

>the only person defending literally family guy is a braindead tripfag

filtered lol

Really? I only see civilized religious people get hostile only after atheists decide to be assholes.

A few anons articulated something that I guess I subconsciously realized but never managed to put my finger on, that there are no "characters" any more. Any character is liable to act as stupid/spiteful/grumpy/reactionary as the gag calls for. Every character is just a jaded blank slate the writers paste mean-spirited, way edgy jokes on. There's absolutely no depth to the writing any longer, and it's frustrating because in the early seasons of the show, there were lots of surprisingly clever and/or warm moments. Sometimes they would do consciously edgy, meta jokes based around being an adult cartoon, but very rarely.

>Peter, not all Jewish people are good with money.
>Well yeah, not the retarded ones, but, but why would even say that? Wha... for shock value? Jeez Cleveland, there's edgy and then there's offensive.

It is literally the only complaint about Family Guy that I see as unfair. Anything else is fair game. Fuck Family Guy, fuck Seth MacFarlane, fuck human beings, fuck humanity.

Unlikable cast, everyones an asshole to some degree

In my country, the atheists took over and blew up churches, killed preists and persecuted religious people with utter ruthlessness.

But that was a long time ago.

So...you live in the Fire Nation?

It's really not THAT unfair when there are a ton of shows that have more effort put into posing and dynamics than Family Guy. Compare Family Guy's animation to just about any other show on tv right now. Even South Park puts more effort into its movements and gestures than Family guy.

Every character is always facing at a 3/4ths angle. They all make the same two arm gestures and all make the same half lidded expressions. There are very rarely any poses other than a character holding their arm out.

The only time they really try to put any sort of effort into the animation is during the chicken fights, some of which are admittedly pretty well done.

I tolerated the Conway Twitty shit. But this was the last straw for me.
youtu.be/PRBsJmLveKQ

Family Guy is like that one Buckley flash cartoon

wait is this real, did they call dancing in the street gay and then showed the entire video?

>Americans seem pretty hostile over meanigless nonsense.

What a perfect summary of the current political climate.

I won't defend the gag, but I will admit that "That happened, and we all let it happen" got a laugh out of me.

Yes they fucking did.

Never thought someone could be so lazy. And I thought the chicken fights were bad. I'm glad I dropped this show when I did

Too much weight on reference humor.
Which dates quickly and needs cheap shots so the maximum amount of people get the joke.

To be fair, he's not wrong in saying it's a very gay music video. You can tell Bowie and Jagger are constantly five seconds away from ravaging each other throughout the entire thing.

However, filling time with a music video because you're too lazy to think of something on your own is beyond pathetic.

Which one? They've done it a million times now.

Well when you're too lazy to think of 2-3 minutes of material, of course you'll shit out crap like that multiple times

The second or third, I remember it was literally 3/4 of the episode

No but the animation is bland as fuck. Everyone looks stiff and the most they might do while talking is raise their hand up half way.

Wow, when you put it that way, Family Guy is kinda like an anime.

That's not true at all.

Anime still has move movement, camera angles, and dynamic poses than an average Family Guy episode.

He said it's the gayest, meanwhile this exists
youtube.com/watch?v=fbGkxcY7YFU
youtube.com/watch?v=-XNFokmDKrE

>implying there's anything gay about Gay Bar

electric six is dope as fuck, but
>implying there isn't anything gay about Gay Bar

Now, I'm not saying you're wrong, but those were inteded to be gay, whereas I don't think Dancing in the Street was. Is it really fair to compare them with that in mind?

There's nothing gay about two bros dancing in the street

The chicken fight is one of the few gags that I don't mind them doing several times.....the problem was the fights ran on way too long later on. None of them should have ever exceeded 2 minutes...maybe 3 minutes for a single epic fight

>cutaway gags
>ugly animation
>irratating characters
>shit plots
The worst part is sometimes it can be hilarious, but it wastes itself on some of the cast "cough cough petter griffin cough".

Mr. Enter said it best you can't kill Family Guy and Family Guy knows this therefore will do whatever it wants, no matter how preachy, hypocritical or dumb it is.

I find Seth McFarlane humor requires me to know too much about celebrities.

I also don't get shocked by his shock humor so it just comes off as unaffective.

I think family guy used to be funny back in the day when it was quite a fresh, more r-rated version of the simpsons but now days... Meh...

I'm actually enjoying old king of the hill reruns more these days because the characters just never get too played out and boring.

wat

nothing because the "family guy is shit" meme was just butthurt started by the south park creators because they were mad that macfarlane made fun of trey's wife's son

>family guy
>shit
You have to be 18 or over to browse this website, Reddit fedora lords

I love how the guy defending Family Guy is accusing people in this thread of being underaged.

>it's got a bunch of references that I don't get

That makes it bad.

Family Guy has been in production for 17 years.

2dada4uuuu

Comedy is all about
>presentation
>timing
>charisma
These are three essential factors to making or telling a funny story and it all falls apart if any one of these are absent or weak.

The presentation for Family Guy's jokes are shoehorned in. No context to the situation is given besides a character giving bare bones narration in the form of a simile. The setup for jokes always fall flat outside of minor slapstick segments because it's writing has devolved into being a formulaic mess taken over by interns who have no fucking clue.

Timing is all over the place. A joke is resolved too soon, or in most cases, lasts far too long to get a genuine laugh put of most people. Conway Twitty is a perfect example of how not to handle timing. A cutaway to a random segment is awful in it's own way, but tacking on an extra 3 minutes has made the gag run its course and annoy your audience. It shows that you'd rather get out of work an hour earlier than take that time to remove the fluff and write a better script.

Being charismatic isn't hard. All someone has to do is be clear, concise, and carry a tone that your audience will respond well to. Seth McFarlane is talented. He really is. But his biggest flaw is not carring enough to break from his niche in Family Guy. He himself hates the show but knows that he can continue making just enough money to justify showing up that week and giggling like an idiot in a recording booth. You can tell he's always phoning it in and that's what damages the entertainment value of his 3 major characters. When he writes for his Stewie and Brain crossovers you can find loads of entertaining jokes and a shift in his tone, because he's happy and comfortable with what's being put out.

Of course we've got more factors to consider when breaking down an animated "comedy" , but these are the 3 biggest ideals that Family Guy breaks constantly and makes the show fall apart.

Extremely low brow humor, poor animation.

There's someone turning 12 every day, user.

>they were mad that macfarlane made fun of trey's wife's son

details on this?

There was literally an episode where Brian gave a baby herpes and then tried to justify it

sauce on episode

Creator uses the show as a soapbox for his political beliefs instead of writing jokes.