Inspector Gadget

So what's the story of Dr. Claw's face? Why did they decide to reveal it in a tie-in toyline and a Super NES video game ten years after the fact when the show was in reruns? Usually these kind of things are done in TV specials and series' revivals? Has anyone ever asked any of the surviving DiC crew about this? Not even the Inspector Gadget wiki has any information.

Other urls found in this thread:

powerpuffgirls.wikia.com/wiki/Cat_Man_Do
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

He's the real disfigured body of Inspector Gadget. the inspector is just a robot

I read that comic.

I didn't realize it was supposed to be Inspector Gadget until like the final issue

Which comic?

The 'communists sabotage a failing tech company' plot did obfuscate it a bit. I thought the niece was the biggest give away.

Westward. An edgy steampunk version of inspector gadget.

I thought they were going for a Dr No kind of thing and just never showing the bad guy.

Thanks!

That was the intention I guess, but why reveal it in a Super NES game then?

It was for practicality reasons: you can't do a toy line without villains and they had to deliver a face to Claw so that they can sell his toy.

The SNES game tied in with the toyline so it was included in it as well.

I had only ever seen the disney movie of inspector gadget and that was years before thjs

It came out around the same time as the toy line which included the Dr Claw figure so they tossed it in for synergy.

Okay, but why didn't they do a TV/direct-to-video movie to promote the game and toys then? Would've made more sense to do in a cartoon than a game or action figure.

DIC was angling for a reboot at the time, the disastrous "Kid Gadget" series with the web monster female villain

Whoa. Does anyone else get X-Factor flashbacks from this? Leyla Miller, Madrox. If I reread X-Factor the detective agency, I'm pretty sure I could find this exact page somewhere in it.

You mean the show with Heather? I thought that was made after the SNES game.

Was it really disastrous? I was just a kid with no quality filter when I watched it, but god damn did I have a crush on that female spider villain.

Is it any good? I just got through Pluto and I thoroughly enjoyed that. Is it edgy in a Pluto sort of way, or actually edgy?

That doesn't look anything like Rupert Everett.

Here's the vision of Bruno Bianchi, but he also says that he considered that Claw's should be left to the imagination of the viewer, and that it could be a man, woman, robot, ET, or anything else.

I've always like the theory that Madcat was the true mastermind and Claw was just a robot he built, to parallel how much Gadget only succeeds thanks to Brain covering him from the shadows

I though Dr. Claw was Penny's father who'd gone bad, after he "died"
That's why Penny went to live with her Uncle.

It would be incredibly cool.

it would probably be best if it was only ever implied rather than made explicit

>the mastermind's pet cat is actually the real mastermind
I think there was one series that actually used that plot twist.

Yeah, PPG did it.
powerpuffgirls.wikia.com/wiki/Cat_Man_Do

I always imagined him as some sort of beast that looked like the MAD logo. Or at the very least he would have a mask that looked like it. Then the toy came out and he was just some old guy.

just having a big metal arm with spikes wouldn't exactly make for a good toy for kids.

aww shit that's why it looks so familiar.

They should've given him a mask

Which book or magazine is this from?

The original creators likely wanted to keep Dr. Claw permanently obscured, but by the time the opportunity for video games and toys came about, either the original creators were gone or just didn't care anymore, and so they decided to give him a face.

>wait, so he's called Dr. Claw but doesn't actually have a claw? We'd better give him a claw, otherwise the kids won't get it!

And then they pretended it never happened when they made those Gadget TV specials in the early 2000's.

If I had to come up with a face for Dr. Claw, it would be totally emotionless and stern all the time, to preserve at least some of his mystique. It feels so weird seeing him grimacing with rage in OP's image.

>We'll give Dr. Claw an actual claw and take away any trace of his anonymity.
The first time I was a jaded person was at nine years old.

We might if we had the ability to read it..

I don't understand why they showed his face in the first couple minutes of the movie. You saw him throughout the whole damn thing. why?

And Futurama

At least the DTV *tried* to keep his mysteriousness by hiding his face underneath a hat and jacket.