What makes South Park's social commentary entertaining, even if you don't agree with them...

What makes South Park's social commentary entertaining, even if you don't agree with them, while Family Guy's is generally cringe-y and lame?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pSmzjTGbXmc
youtube.com/watch?v=tu4y7x9LRyY
youtube.com/watch?v=qYTpd8QOSA0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Execution

one is jewish, the other isn't

It is a matter of angle. Family Guy wants shock value, South Park wants witty satire.

One of them takes the piss out of both sides while the other has a clear bias and agenda.

south parks talks about an issue

family guy pushes an agenda or chooses one side

Seth's retinue is made up of lame Ivy League graduates.

ppphhhhffft

This, right here. South Park does it for the sake of making a statement. Family Guy does it for the sake of making a spectacle.

Family Guy is liberal and South Park is Conservative Libertarian. Just because you don't know the politics of it, doesn't meant they aren't there.

>implying South Park hasn't consistently shat on Scientology while praising Mormons

And all the episodes about global warming being a joke or fake...

Family Guy is preachy and at times disregards humor altogether

Family Guy tries to be clever while South Park actually is clever.
Also South Park never tries to push an agenda but makes fun of everybody.

Serious question and not looking to get into a political argument but is there a point where family guy became so liberal and why did it? Also why so much atheism stuff?

lack of ego. seth is so smug and trying to sound smart, matt and trey are just telling shit like it is
they arent always right, but they do point out shit where "everyone thinks" one thing yet the minority that thinks otherwise have disproportionate control
dude, sciencefags change their story every year. remember el nino? it's pretty damn clear they dont know what theyre talking about. That doesn't make their opposition right, it just means they need to shut up
and they never praised mormons, they use them as the butt of jokes because they're so damn likeable. they go commit random acts of kindness door to door. whereas scientologists literally murder people.

the only shit i can remember south park getting wrong is the cigarette thing (basically they got fooled by the false flagging done by the "anti"-cigarette shit funded by the tobacco companies) and basically anytime they were like "well shit gay is fine but pedos are gross and wrong and obviously so"

Seth is a BIG atheist. Like, to the point of funding Neil DeGrasse Tyson's show just so he can have a whole portion about how why need God when science is something we can all agree on?

two words dude. the war.
you know when they finally shut the fuck up? 2010-ish, when all of TV suddenly seemed to get a lot better, even shows that had previously sucked.
they all collectively slipped up again in the next election, but for the most part they realized nobody wants to hear that shit anymore

which is why the next election after that was custom rigged for controversy. they NEED the ad money from that shit, even if everyone's sick of it

They both sucked and went downhill after their movies when they started doing current event/political shit

If I had to guess it was basically Seth realizing he had a popular enough show to preach his opinions through. He was always a liberal and an atheist.

>Conservative Libertarian.
Made up bullshit name, embarassing.

South Park's "social commentary" stopped being funny after the 4rth season.

South Park doesn't use Non Sequiters.

South Park won't have Stan and Kyle stand there and repeat "laura bush killed a guy" while looking at the 4th wall.

Cartman and the others, always get their comeuppance for the bad things they did.

They are both really cringey, and if you think either is entertaining then you are too young to post here.

You mean like they did with Bruce Jenner?

>One of them takes the piss out of both sides
This is what pisses me off about South Park. It's that incredibly irritating refusal to take a stand and mocking fucking anyone who does anything while acting like a smug cunt because you're too lazy to actually offer anything of value to the conversation.

I couldn't help but hear this in MrEnter's voice for some reason

Cartman always gets away with shit, as well as the other boys to a lesser extent

Can't I like both shows? South Park is a little better, but they have less shows per year, so I don't see it as a huge difference.

Maybe Sup Forums needs to stop picking shit apart and just enjoy a fucking cartoon.

what about that time South Park sided against George Zimmerman because Trey's black wife was going to make him sleep in the cuckshed if he didn't?

>Letting other people hating a show define whether or not you can like it

With skin this thin I'm surprised you don't cry outrage at the mere existence of either show.

>Sup Forums
>enjoy

>you HAVE to chose a side!
>i love supporting the lesser of two evils!
>everything is black and white, what do you mean there's more than two sides??

when South Park approaches an issue its always new to the characters, so you get some good interpretations of an issue by different characters. it just makes sense, they're kids you know
as for Family Guy, Peter is always playing the ignorant guy, but usually Brian, Stewie, and sometimes even Lois, they know something and already have an opinion on it when its brought up right away. making them feel like a writer's mouth piece

I would rather have the chosen agenda that transsexualism is okay pushed on me than have another drooling Jenner running over someone recurring gag talked down my throat.

But the kids of South Park are mouthpieces of manchildren.

The difference is that SP has actual clever input on social and political issues and puts them across in an entertaining way.

FG is just Seth spouting his smug nonsense. It has a bad case of telling the same story over and over again.

Both shows get preachy as fuck, but South Park at least makes an effort to keep it's writing top notch. Family Goy just stop trying.

Family guys usually is out of place like an episode will just be super serious (like the time they killed the guy beating Quagmire's sister) & despite Kyle's speeches it feels way less preachy. Probably because it is part f the shows format and into just some topic they feel like bringing up in the middle of the randomness. He learns from the ridiculous situation he is in while family guy will just have one of the main characters make a sarcastic comment about how messed up something is.

You don't have to choose a side, you can excuse yourself from the conversation or present your own solutions. What makes them look like cunts is that they sit on the fence and mock anyone who actually gives a shit. That viewpoint is absolute fucking cancer.

sometime after the revival (season 4) Brian gets specifically liberal in his views
he was always a tad liberal and a metaphor for someone dealing with prejudices before, but they forget the clever nuances in the latter, and just make him a full anti right wing and liberal mouth piece
sometimes they play it for laughs like him being to liberal, but a lot of the time you don't really see the writers having any insight on the character and just make him the mouth piece

The thing bad about the Laura Bush one was that they kept repeating it like "hey is that true? Guess I'll look it up" & the whole point was they just wanted to put it out there. The Jenner situation was just a running joke they didn't continually have Kyle talk about it.

Because Seth MacFarlane is cringe-y and lame.

When anyone that gives a shit deserves to be mocked then I don't see what's wrong with that.

It's called being open-minded. You should try it sometime.

Because Matt and Trey are actually intimately involved with South Park and Seth McFarlane is basically on autopilot while he cashes the checks for whatever turd he pinches nowadays. As for the actual content of the political stuff, Family Guy tends to suck because McFarlane is a stereotypical obnoxious libtard that puts an emphasis on the message rather than the joke while South Park only uses current events to accentuate the comedy and rarely get preachy.

but there is no value to the conversation

South park had more than their fair share of shock value and gore early on, though they eventually took a hint and scaled it back while family guy would push limits much later on in their run.

>South Park
>Conservative

Shitting on people for caring isn't being open-minded, user. It's being a smug prick.

So we should just sit around sniffing our own farts and doing fucking nothing about anything because stupid people make discussion difficult? Nothing would get done if we all just wallowed in our own smug superiority like they do.

>sure Hitler did some bad things but what about all the bad things the Jews did?

Some issues do have a right and a wrong. Not everything is relative.

i don't think you have to 'take a side' but you should acknowledge that just sitting on the fence pointing fingers only reinforces the status quo

no one's really generally neutral anyway, it's just a front to avoid conflict

What the fuck are you talking about and what does that have to do with anything in this thread?

It makes perfect sense from a marketing point of view. If it turns out your personal beliefs are in the wrong on an issue nobody will know what they are if you're mocking all the players equally.

Their formula is to basically build giant strawman arguments for each side and then sit back and say "see how stupid it is to have a core belief. Look at how stupid they all are."

Neither Family Guy or South Park handled that subject very well Quagmire's father was referred to as an it after her sex change, Brian vomited for an extended period at the realization that they had sex. This was supposed to be a sympathetic portrayal as well.

Mrs Garrison and the treatment of Caitlin Jenner are both bad as well. The sex change being compared to wanting to be a dolphin or a black guy. Mrs Garrison acting as an odd stereotype of women while seemingly not knowing she still lacks a uterus. I don't like Caitlin Jenner one bit but that was a harsh portrayal. For someone her age the sex change came out looking better than most yet she is portrayed a bulky disfigured man with long hair in a dress. She is called a weirdo even by Mr Garrison.

Caitlin Jenner still got away with murder so fuck that ugy

Family Guy has a lot more tasteless jokes than South Park. Take Joe for example, he started out as a capable cop despite being handicapped, his backstory was sympathetic, his handicap was never holding him back and though there were plenty of jokes none of them were offensive. Now? All his jokes are about him wanting to commit suicide because he is so useless, apparently he is no longer capable of doing useful police work, and they even changed his backstory to make him more pathetic.

They also rely a ton on shock value humor like this horrible bit:
youtube.com/watch?v=pSmzjTGbXmc

The Mr. Garrison shit is the lowest point of the show but I don't feel bad about them mocking Jenner after the undeserved dicksucking she received by the media.

South Park actually puts in effort into making their show.
Okay that was mean, but considering current Family Guy I feel it was justified. To be honest though, even in it's heyday Family Guy never was one for good social commentary. I mean you can see it in a lot of early American Dad too that their commentary came off as a little preachy and not as witty.
Now what early Family Guy and later American Dad do well is wacky situational comedy. Especially modern American Dad does a great job of doing really ridiculous story-lines where the characters bounce off each other well and make for a funny series of events. South Park does that good as well, of course, but where South Park starts to shine is, as OP points out, their entertaining take on social commentary.

Got away with what? She got into an accident that wasn't caused by speeding, texting or drunk driving. There isn't anything to charge her with. These accidents happen, and have happened to thousands of people since then who weren't charged either. I don't get the obsession with this accident when other car crashes by celebrities are instantly forgotten while I've seen conspiracy theories going as far to suggest she transitioned in order to not be charged or to sway public opinion even though she wouldn't have been charged and the public had already forgotten. I don't like Jenner and the rest of the Kardashian trash either but calling Jenner a murderer is just ignorant.

>Scrotie Mcboogerballs argument

Like clockwork.

Here's the difference, South Park makes fun of everybody, Family Guy just mocks conservatives and many of their conservative jokes just seem easy as fuck, South park on the other hand is more of satirical spoof on American life, which makes its satirical jokes more complex and wittier. Some episodes will deal with social-political stuff and then some will deal with certain aspects of American life, such as : wrestling, driving Hybrid's, underage girl parents, etc. Also I think at this point Mcfarlene no longer cares, SP has its fair share of shock humor, but at least there is a punchline, as for this: youtube.com/watch?v=pSmzjTGbXmc its less dark humor and more like poking at a piece of roadkill for amusement.
I kind of like the fact they war hard on her, same thing with they treated Trump. Again, it goes back to its mocking of American life. What Trey and Matt are saying is: you people treat these celebrities as if they were these gods among men, when in reality they are deeply flawed assholes.

Because family guy either tries to be offensive, force a moral, or be deeper than it actually it. south park is stupid humor for it's own sake with social commentary sprinkled in there, and combine that with them putting in the creativity that family guy used to have

See, now you're starting with the assumption that South Park's social commentary isn't cringy and lame sometimes too.

Because after family guy's second revival seth realizes that the show show will never die but only transcend

well actually be timely helps a lot. Most shows or comics don't get on shit till like at least three months late

South Park shits on everyone as a means of accentuating general ways of thinking more than making clear-cut political statements.

Family Guy is just "HEY I'M AN IDIOT AND I LOVE JESUS!" over and over. And never in the actual episode's plot, but rather some smug cutaway.

>South Park never tries to push an agenda

You seem to be confusing expressing an opinion with pushing an agenda.

Seth seems like a guy who hates on Christians and calls them evil while defending Islam and Muslims

That one episode of American Dad shat all over Islam's flaws.

South Park's humor is more organic because its humor comes from situations relevant to the plot. It has characters with consistent personalities (or at least moreso than Family Guy) and it tries to make the overall situation funny instead of having a normal story punctuated by irrelevant humor and cutaways.

You seem to be confused thinking that those are different things.

plus an episode of Family Guy where Peter befriends a Muslim who recruits him for a suicide bombing. Also frequent muslim jokes. He's friends with Bill Maher who is openly anti-religion and critical of Islam.

>He's friends with Bill Maher
I guess it makes sense that 2 of the most obnoxious and childish atheists would be friends.

Mr Garrison had a sex change in a 2005 episode That was still far and away a distant time compared to current-year-limey-fuck. Trannies were hardly even realized to be a thing by most people outside of drag-queen sort of situations.

You also sound like you're rather sensitive on the subject. Why should they be nice about transexualism and not nice about Christianity Liberalism Islam Matt damon driving hybrids wresling gay people (look at the leading gay characters - a bondage leather-daddy and a lisp hello sailoorr~ guy) mexican day laborers jews poopsocking gamers or gamers of any variety atheists and anyone else they've shit on in the past.

South park isn't an afterschool feel-good special.

Truth.

>praising Mormons
What?

That depends like your mother being a slut. One could say she is a whore they mean the same thing, but one gives it up for nothing and the other gives it up but wants cash first.

How young must you be to think trans were invented in 2005?

There were transsexuals in the news back in the 1970s.

There was that one scene where an angel declares Mormonism to be the correct religion, but it was obviously taking the piss out of religion writ large.

He's pretty openly anti-Semitic and racist for a liberal these days. Most try to hide their bigotry.

>praising mormons
youtube.com/watch?v=tu4y7x9LRyY

a running joke is that Mormon is TRUE religion but it's pretty obviously a gag

Soth Park and familiy Guy are zombie tier show, it's not even funny at this point.

I thought Randy was.

>Sitting right next to somebody with your breast hanging out
She could've just moved instead of being a complete cunt about it.

They do have a bias towards Mormons. Both their religion and Scientology had them both believing in ridiculous things but Scientologists were malicious while Mormons are perfect and sweet. Even Book of Mormon had mild jokes about them being intolerant but glossed over it in favor of them being well-intentioned.

Family Guy fans are dumber then Dane Cook fans on average, this alone makes the show trash.

An episode about a raunchy story that makes people vomit uncontrollably was too smart for some people, I guess.

Wow... this webcomic is painfully unfunny. Did it end when she killed her baby because of postpartum depression or did her kids just grow up and want nothing to do with their mom who thought she was a cow goddess?

Reminder that God in South Park is still a Buddhist despite only allowing Mormons into Heaven and that Super Best Friends show that the major world religions are all true.

Trey and Matt said they don't want to be considered conservative or liberal because that would mean people would associate them with nuts like Glenn Beck and Michael Moore, respectively. It's not that they hate both political sides, but that they think leaning too far onto one would make their jokes seem less like jokes and more like pandering to those kind of people. So they take a stand in the centrist ground, hence why the last episode made arguments like "social justice is okay as long as you don't act like a massive dick to white people about it" and "gun ownership is all right, but people who turn guns into some kind of sacred cow are crazy".

Neither are good. Family Guy is shock value and South Park is soapbox: the show.

well, one is a global scam that tells you that you have shit wrong with you, that sues for the smallest slights and cost them a long-time cast member, and the other is a silly, but ultimately harmless religion that advocates family values and positive attitudes.

I wonder which would get shit on more.

You have no idea how horrible Mormons can be, do you? You might want to look into this a little.

I see you get all your info from South Park because, just like all religions, Mormons have an absolute shit side to them, too.

yeah, let's paint everyone with the brush of a small group on the whole.

I wasn't even talking about the people, I was talking about the religion itself. scientology offers personality tests and by becoming a member, they offer to cure you of the problems they themselves diagnose.

the worst shit mormonism as a religion advocates is polygamy, and really, what a couple(or more) does in their bedroom isn't any of your business anyway if it's all consensual.

Family Guy is funnier at this point, it has basically become looney tunes + the simpsons

but they're both written by ethnically jewish people, user, not an argument

Well, give us a link to how horrible Mormons can be. Besides FLDS, because even normal Mormons realize those shitters are crazy.

And Trey wrote an entire musical that went "Yeah, Mormonism is really fucking stupid when you think about it, but its followers are pretty nice and friendly, and we need more nice and friendly people." youtube.com/watch?v=qYTpd8QOSA0

hell, that's the lesson of the south park episode too.

I think they're open about their bias since one of them was introduced to Mormonism because he dated one and most Mormons they know are nice functional people. But did they really show Scientologists as malicious? The only one who had malice was the guy in charge who was a scam artist but they portray Joseph Smith as a scam artist as well.
Wait what episode has sacred cow guns? I don't really remember a gun episode apart from last finale and the only joke was they seemed to be they were mounting a very precarious situation where everyone had guns on each other but in the end they civilly talked everything out but with guns on each other....and then PC Principal punched Lesilie through the head.

I think the problem scientology had with it was they showed off a bunch of the inner secrets of scientology(all that stuff about xenu), while also calling the religion a scam.

this pissed off the church so much that all but forced isaac hayes to quit, which inspired The Return of Chef