But what if the whole universe is just a simulation, Sup Forums?

But what if the whole universe is just a simulation, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/4nOJkCigWmM
youtube.com/watch?v=aTL4qIIxg8A
youtube.com/watch?v=atMuFCpxnUQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What if?

As above
so below

Kinda makes everything meaningless, doesn't it?

nothing changes then?

But everything changes. Then we have purpose, yet a purpose that is not our own.

"Let teachers and priests and philosophers brood over questions of reality and illusion. I know this: if life is illusion, then I am no less an illusion, and being thus, the illusion is real to me."

Save for reproduction, life has no inherent meaning. That's up to you to determine.

it's not

this

youtu.be/4nOJkCigWmM

/thread

Higher awareness leads to greater controls and greater possibilities- this is true regardless of whether the universe is a simulation or not, but especially so in the former case.

Read ya some alchemy, bois.

that's too deep for Sup Forums bro.
try Sup Forums they sometimes read futurology when not reading linux #man results

A simulation of what?

Is it your contention that we are a simulation modeled after a physical universe somewhere, or that reality itself is digital, so to speak, with no physical referent?

Then I'd hack myself in your heart :3

It does make everything meaningless if you happen to have an existence outside of the simulation, as in you are a participant. If you exist solely in the simulation as a simulation, then no it does not make everything meaningless.

>what if the whole universe is just a simulation
A subset, or lesser part, of the universe could be a simulation, but the word universe, when it stands alone, is intended to capture all objects and phenomena, including anyone who happens to observe a simulation, making your initial proposition a contradiction in terms.

then we get out

youtube.com/watch?v=aTL4qIIxg8A

A simulation of a universe. Perhaps a simulation of a universe with more orderly laws of physics to our simulators. For example, the reason for cosmis rays always having a maximum energy of 10^20 electron volts.

But perhaps we only exist here. Do we exist then?

Actually it is quite possible.

>ABSTRACT. This paper argues that at least one of the following propositions is true: (1) the human species is very likely to go extinct before reaching a “posthuman” stage; (2) any posthuman civilization is extremely unlikely to run a significant number of simulations of their evolutionary history (or variations thereof); (3) we are almost certainly living in a computer simulation. It follows that the belief that there is a significant chance that we will one day become posthumans who run ancestor-simulations is false, unless we are currently living in a simulation. A number of other consequences of this result are also discussed.

I DON'T KNOW, BUT WHAT THE FUCK IS IT

IS THERE A BOUNDARY TO THE UNIVERSE

IF SO, WHAT IS BEYOND IT

IF NOT, HOW THE FUCK CAN IT GO ON FOREVER

WHY IS IT HERE

WHY ARE WE HERE

WHAT THE FUCK DOES IT ALL MEAN

WHERE DID IT COME FROM

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, TELL ME

Some kid in the future is probably paying Sims 45 and we're all apart of it.

Then somebody turn off the machine please.

youtube.com/watch?v=atMuFCpxnUQ

You might enjoy this, OP. Its a panel discussion from the World Science Festival. Skip to 11:37, the introduction is insufferable.

"As computers become progressively faster and more powerful, they’ve gained the impressive capacity to simulate increasingly realistic environments. Which raises a question familiar to aficionados of The Matrix—might life and the world as we know it be a simulation on a super advanced computer? “Digital physicists” have developed this idea well beyond the sci-fi possibilities, suggesting a new scientific paradigm in which computation is not just a tool for approximating reality, but is also the basis of reality itself. In place of elementary particles, think bits; in place of fundamental laws of physics, think computer algorithms. But is this a viable approach? Is the universe the ultimate computer running some grand cosmic code? A discussion among the brightest minds in digital physics to explore math, computer science, theories of consciousness, the origin of life, and free will—and delve into a world of information that may underlie everything."

>tfw he walls your baby into a tiny room and child protective services take it away

fucking asshole

As far as we are concerned we do, whether those running the simulation consider us to really exist is a different matter...depends on whether they realize that since they are running simulations they are most likely simulations themselves...nested simulations. If in fact there are simulations running, they vastly outnumber the "true" reality, so much so that it is almost certain that the vast majority live in a simulation rather than in the "true" reality.

It all makes sense now
Chuck Norris has God mode enabled

>The original red pill

fnord

All Hail Eris!

NO

NONE OF THAT ROBERT ANTON WILSON FUCKERY

I WANT REAL ANSWERS

NONE OF THIS VAGUE SYMBOLIC BULLSHIT FOR PSEUDOINTELLECTUALS

IS THERE A BOUNDARY

IF SO, WHAT IS BEYOND IT

IF NOT, HOW DOES IT GO ON FOREVER

WHAT

DOES

IT

ALL

MEAN

No, there is not. Our universe is inside a black hole, or probably inside a black hole within our universe, so the theoretical edge would just be our own universe again, but luckily you can't reach it because hurr durr you'll just start curving inward again.

W-we're not supposed to talk about this

But then, whats on the outside of the black hole?

Eris is the final redpill, we Discordian Extremist now!

Depends on if the universe is contained within itself, so there is no real "outside" to a black hole. We're outside/inside it simultaneously.

ERIS IS FAG SHIT DREAMED UP BY HIPPIES ON AN LSD TRIP IN THE 70s

ITS 2016

RAW IS A QUACK

WE NEED REAL ANSWERS

Really made me think tbqh

If the only thing anyone who exists can ever be sure of is the phenomenon of experiencing existance, the meaning of life is obviously trying to have a pleasant experience. If its real, or a hologram, or if im just kidding myself that im here or even real is inconsequential. the conscious decision to be happy sets me free.

>if

What would it change?

For all intents and purposes, the universe behaves like a simulation, so whether or not it really is doesn't make a difference.

It must be running on a fucking lenovo

bless you my son

God, in all his benevolence and perfection, would not bestow upon man a false reality.

give her the dick dude

Does it matter to you and I? It's still real to us.

Post yfw we are the best Sims game ever made

The first step to answering the question of existence requires discovering how we came to exist, and we can't even prove any of our theories right now. The best answer you'll ever get is to just accept there is no meaning to existence and then create your own meaning. You will never get a definite answer because it is impossible to prove, so don't obsess over it.

IF the universe was a simulation, could it be physically possible to leave it?
Would it really be you, or a copy of you?

Same fagging this hard

You are now aware you're an npc my obtuse leaf friend.

An npc doing damage control, quaint.

>tfw you're an NPC in some Jew's Garry's Mod

You're just a set of code.

I suppose your code could be put in a container that existed in the outside world...

I wish it would simulate a world without niggers

We don't know, it's possible. Does that mean we should just give up cause there's a chance that life is just a simulation?

Fuck no, you die finding God, and if there's no God, you become one. And after that if you find out life was just a simulation, they realize that we just blew the fuck out of it and whomever is running the simulation just got a universal middle finger from the entire human race.

Or we can all just an hero idgaf really

You don't exist in the true physical reality because only I do. Get out of my simulation, fucking robot.

lol

What? Would that change anyhing in our daily lifes?

No it won't. The ride never ends.

As Smith did?

The whole "life is a simulation" thing implies that a ridiculously advanced species in another, larger Universe figured out how to create another Universe inside of something in their Universe. It implies that such a task is possible, which it may very well not be. Even if an advanced civilization could survive the millions of years necessary to figure out such a concept, that civilization may figure out that it's just not physically possible. It's safe to say that we are not inside of a simulation right now, simply because the odds of it being possible are quite low.

inb4
>but user humans are dumb monkeys and advanced aliens would be about to figure it out for sure!!

Lots of assumptions in that logic. You might as well believe there's a magical bearded man larger than the Universe telling us not to masturbate.

The whole universe is just a simulation.

No, it doesn't necessarily implie that.

Don't ask for explanations because I can't explain something that I don't know, but there are literally infinite possibilities.

Literally does not make a difference. Even if it's a simulation within a simulation within...etc... within the garden of Eden, you still gotta live your life and put bacon on the table and deal with niggers and kikes.

Even if their were proof and it were revealed, it would be out of the news cycle in a few weeks. A couple of new religions might pop up, but life would go on.

They would only need to simulate your consciousness.

>magical bearded guy

Tips fedora

If there was proof it should make a big impact on religion.
And religion is a big cause of problems on earth currently.

If this would kill religions as they are right now, something would be different for sure.

But user

Wat if God is the true Richard Stallman?