youtube.com/watch?v=eO7sKVKMO2s
youtube.com/watch?v=gvdIaLHYUws
youtube.com/watch?v=jZK7rayEptw
youtube.com/watch?v=dnQJwgwK1vA
youtube.com/watch?v=ShdY37Dq5bE
youtube.com/watch?v=trmG0mgrkM8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Can't

The cgi for the robot didn't quite mesh with the rest of the movie.

mansly wasn't executed for his unbelievable incompetence

He's not a Marine who would have gotten the job done twice as fast with half the resources

There are none. I've watched it a dozen times and there really aren't any flaws. Also I adore the art style and the quality of the animation itself is fantastic.

Probably this, it didn't age that great.

Perhaps they could have included the deleted scene that went into the Giant's origins (it reveraled he really was from a race of killer Iron Giants and was supposed to destroy the Earth), but the pacing works fine without it. It is a pretty disturbing scene too, and I suppose it's technically part of the story's canon, we just aren't told it outright.

That scene coupled with the happy ending paints a bleak picture of what would have happened if he hadn't hit his head. If the most powerful weapon available at the time does nothing more than stun him for a few hours, the Earth would be well and truly fucked if he was out to destroy it. And what if his creators come looking for him to see how he did, bringing more Iron Giants with them?

Yeah, I mean it's a whole new layer to the story. If they ever made a sequel, they could've explored that more. But if they crammed it into the final movie, it might've been too much unexplored potential.

Tbqh, for a general during the highly brainwashed and patriotic mccarthy era, he was suprisingly moral and caring.

They probably wouldn't have tried him as part of a cover-up.

shitty calarts cartoon

There were people who were ahead of their time back then, we just don't hear about them much.

I was rewatching some StoryCorps shorts, this being one of them youtube.com/watch?v=3wHjJUdN16k

In the comments section, somebody said "bet he was racist though," only for the actual son from the short to confirm that no, he wasn't racist either.

I know that he wasn't a general, but it was the 50's in rural America and it's just a nice thing to think about - the fact that there were probably more like him that we just don't know about.

ye fuck calarts t b h ruining our childhoods like that

Brad Bird was one of the first graduates from CalArts, I don't think he has any connection to its trends. Guy just happened to be a graduate who was also talented as hell. Maybe he was one of the successes that perpetuated the idea that you have to graduate from CalArts to be successful, but it could just be coincidence.

Ooh Rah

Didn't have a cigar in his mouth that he could dramatically remove while saying "Oh My GOD" into the camera.

Brad Bird hasn't done a live-action Superman movie yet. This is a better Superman movie than both Superman Returns and Manure of Steel.

>Brad Bird doing Superman

That's cool, but what I'd love to see is him direct a James Bond movie in a 60's-70's style.

(Still with UK actors, of course)

That scene is fully animated and added in the signature edition as well as a couple other small scenes.

Holy shit, is that why they've been showing it again in some theatres? Damn it, now I wish I'd taken the chance to watch it with my bf when he was visiting.

bit weird to watch a movie with your hand but whatever makes you happy f am

Yeah it was for the anniversary too pretty sure. They only showed it for like a weekend. Signature edition is coming out on blu ray pretty soon though.

Also side note. The only other deleted scene I remember was a small dialogue of Hogarth's mom and Dean flirting pretty early in the movie.

Damn you. Just watched 3 more after you linked it. Good stuff and almost made me cry. The race car driver was the one that did it

that was a deleted scene? I remember it being on the cut I saw as a kid. Right as he un-dents his head and goes full gun, right?

Then clearly he needed a summary execution for incompetence And FAILING THE EMPEROR

He's literally where the "CalArts shit" meme came from, if you're counting John K's inane ramblings

>implying I have a disembodied hand that can only be reunited with the rest of me 2-3 times a year

You amused me there.

Yeah, that stuff gets depressing sometimes, but I love the fact that it's all true and from real people. I absolutely adore the "don't sneak" message of that one, it's such a good message.

To make things even more heartwrenching, I found in the comments of "She Was the One" (youtube.com/watch?v=QgGQAr5hmRI) that the guy telling the story was in a 9/11 documentary that was also on youtube, talking more about her death. I looked it up with the time they mentioned and spoilers:he confirms that she was one of the people who chose to jump. The stuff makes me so scared to lose the people I love, these things really could happen to anybody. It's both heartwarming and heartwrenching to see the amount of love between these people.

The racecar one is great, I love how the dad was never discouraged or sounded bitter about it. It sucked what happened to him but it's inspiring how he kept going and thank god he got that honour in the end.

Some other ones I like (put down the titles in case you'd seen some already):
No More Questions!: youtube.com/watch?v=xSKuOccVVKg
Q&A (I LOVE the animation in this one): youtube.com/watch?v=eO7sKVKMO2s
Clean Streets (very sweet): youtube.com/watch?v=gvdIaLHYUws
The Icing on the Cake (when she starts tearing up and the message, man ... fuck): youtube.com/watch?v=jZK7rayEptw

Link to the race car one?

youtube.com/watch?v=dnQJwgwK1vA

Thanks user.

I'm surprised I've never heard of these before, they're really comfy. I think the fact it's from everyday people makes it more relatable.

They're pretty good. I love the concept in the first place. Though I will admit some of them can get a little too "A Very Special Episode"-y for me (I can't think of any that don't involve some kind of minority or lower-class worker, otherwise it's a 9/11 one), but that might be inevitable considering that they're trying to capture voices that would otherwise go unheard. I just hope it doesn't get too black-and-white, pun unintended - "School's Out" felt a little bitter at the end to me, maybe even agenda-pushing (can't really blame the white people living in that town today for the ignorance of the generation before them, and the potential ignorance they have themselves): youtube.com/watch?v=ShdY37Dq5bE

Also I'd really like to hear more stories about war from soldiers on the other side (maybe unlikely friendships?), but that's probably just me in my 1st gen-ness wanting other Americans to know that not all Germans were bloodthirsty Nazis. It's focusing on stories from an American perspective so it won't happen. youtube.com/watch?v=trmG0mgrkM8

Maybe I'm just too much of a privileged, half-German shitlord.

I agree with your last comment about how not every German soldier wasn't some Nazi shitter, but I'm Canadian, so it seems we're both out of luck.

No, that's a different scene

The concept of the videos and how a lot of the people interviewed in them are now no longer with us makes me a little melancholy.

My German dad's German parents never spoke English and died in their 90's before I got to have a real conversation with them - something that still bugs me today because so many things in my life seemed to be so against embracing that side of me. The war one I linked in particular reminds me that my Opi was a normal German soldier (no fancy divisions), drafted in WWII. He didn't like talking about it but in general the two of them have so many stories that my dad learnt and now tells me.

I wish they had something like StoryCorps but it travelled around the world, and had subtitles in English for non-English speakers. That would be amazing and eye-opening to hear more perspectives.

I've studied and lived in both the states and the UK, and I think a huge problem with the education over there was that it always kept the American perspective on everything. We hardly heard about the rest of the world in CURRENT times. I'm thankful that neither of my parents were American, so that I could have a broader look at the world from the get-go.

I get that it's meant to be collecting the stories we otherwise wouldn't hear, but keeping it in America is also preventing us from hearing some voices that are even more ignored.

He didn't know where the giant was and asked Mansley to point it out.

Fuck off Kira no one wants to hear about you picnic.

Chew.

Fucking KEK

DO YOU KNOW HOW THE BOOK THAT THE MOVIE IS BASED ON END?

Its far from a pretty picture.